Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Heart Full of Stars {A Medieval Story} Chapter 70 *Finale* now! 5/28/21

Comments

• icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Yeah, I'm glad you stuck with it. I always get annoyed when an author abandons a story in the middle. Pretty much all the stories on the Sims 2 website that I followed were like that :\
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • IrishsongIrishsong Posts: 1,754 Member
    2m69vuV.png

Chapter 27

dMxeyoD.png

Amelia was reading her book for the third time in a row when she saw the boat sailing towards the island, the royal flag displayed boldly. She raced down to the sitting room to where Alice sat with her equally read book. “They’re returning! I can see them! Be presentable, and ready to receive them!”

bWJVi24.png

Amelia ran to the guards’ quarters as well and informed them, as they poured another glass of juice. “Pull yourselves together, the royal ship approaches!” she ordered.

“What? They’re early! They’re not due until next month!” slurred Sir Wilson.

HstHanb.png

“That changes nothing. Get dressed and chew some mint leaves.”

JYAvXsd.png

Alice had told Remington about the approaching group, and he was in the foyer as when Ameila returned. No one had seen much of him in the past few months; he was either on the mainland with a woman (or two), or he was shut in his room and had all of his meals delivered to him.

“I hope that the maid servants have been keeping this place as spotless as when they left, we can’t have the king and duchess returning to less than perfection.” he said dryly.

4OCwha5.png

“I believe you mean the ‘king and queen’, not ‘king and duchess’.” Amelia corrected with an annoyed grin on her face.

“...Yes.” he said, looking back to the windows. The ship had just docked at the pier, and soon the procession would start. The small group filed out the front door and formed two very small lines as the guards rushed to straighten their breastplates as they ran out the door to their places. Remington rolled his eyes.

5sxEtOM.png

The group, which Amelia tried to not look at as it approached since it was decorum for the staff to look straight forward when receiving the king or any guest of importance, seemed smaller than it had been when it had been when they had left. Her heartbeat sped, not able to see exactly who hadn’t returned, until they walked past.

E32rofc.png

As the king passed, the staff bowed, and still Amelia couldn’t see the group clearly and she was dying to look, but didn’t want to be disciplined for her behavior. She clung to the knowledge that she would be able to know in no time at all, but after so long of being alone and not having any news for months, she dreamed of turning her head and getting a clear view of the group.

There were five sets of feet, one of which was stumbling. Were they hurt? The king’s group had entered the palace and the staff was able to follow in behind them, and that’s when Amelia saw it- the king had Liam by the arm, and Liam seemed far from healthy. What in the blazes was going on?! Where were Anwyn and Romeo?

The king dragged Liam along towards the stairs to go down to the underbelly of the palace, a place that Amelia avoided with every once she could muster. Food was stored down, but the tyrannical king didn’t get his title by having a lovely watercolor painting collection; he was a violent man. Amelia teared up at the thought of gentle Liam being at the mercy of the king.

~*~

He was led down into the basement, where he had taken a few people before, most of them had been trespassers and would-be-assassins, and while he had know that his rebellion against the king could go very poorly, he hadn’t thought that he would join the choir of screams that filled this cursed place.

BJnj0ok.png

He had hoped that on his capture he the king would have been so angry that he killed him out right, not capture him to torture until he deemed Liam too bruised and torn to have any enjoyment out of.

The king untied his hands for a moment while he got the cuffs that hang from the ceiling. After all the prisoners held down here, they had never been washed, thought that didn’t bother Liam that much now. His shoulders smarted like crazy, and going from having his hands continuously behind his back to having his arms extended felt like it was tearing at his muscles.

P10BScX.png

wsYagu7.png

“They say that Anwyn is dead, they say that the child is dead, but I have you, don’t I? I have a filthy nobody that fell in love with my wife, kidnapping her and with the help of a promising guard took her to a faraway island where she died. That sounds like the highest offence I can think of, and you’re going to tell me how to access the islands to burn it to the ground.”

QBOn6ah.png

Liam looked up at the king. “You’re shorter up close than I thought you were.”

fYiRPwJ.png

The king socked him in the stomach, forcing the air out of Liam’s lungs, making him cough. “Careful, that was fun. I’ll ask you again, how do I access the islands?”

~*~

mMOKKYU.png

A pit grew in Amelia’s stomach and would not stop consuming her while she knew that Liam was in the dungeon. She couldn’t hear his screams, but she knew the agony he would be in as long as he was there.

The previous day, the day they had all returned, dinner had been a broken affair. Everyone ate separately, the king in his quarters, the duchess in her sitting room, the guards in their wing, and no one said anything about what happened. The lack of information was making her feel like she was going to bounce off the walls, but she contained herself.

2vNKaPH.png

Today, dinner was called, and the king, queen, Briella, the two queen’s ladies, and Sir Montoya were all seated. The food was passed out, and the king acted as if everything were normal, except with a scowl on his face.

y3GqVac.png

After several minutes of silence, Amelia spoke up. “My king, where is the queen? Where is Sir Romeo?”

The simple question was enough to tip the king form brooding silently to going into a rant. “We were overrun by a band of barbarians from the north, killing several Templar knights and nearly taking my life as well. We were able to kill one of the brutes, but they were well trained and agile, most of them got away.

wuwPoU5.png

“Sir Romeo aided the barbarians in the fight, showing himself to be the traitor he always was. Together sir Liam and Sir Romeo kidnapped the queen, taking her through ruined terrain and carrying her onto a boat, where she and her family were sailing away. One of the Templar knights shot her by mistake, but away they sailed, not caring for her welfare. They sailed to the Western Islands, where she died. If they had left her here, she would have lived, but they signed her death when they took her. You needn’t worry, the knight who shot the queen no longer breathes.” he stopped to take a few breaths.

CjdcylQ.png

“As for Sir Reed, he killed several Templar knights before he was captured. He was in love with the queen, and for his crimes he will face a fate worse than death.” he sneered.

PLlow3V.png

Amelia felt the blood drain from her face and her hands go cold. Her heart felt like it had no rhythm, and it was just fluttering in her chest. This wasn’t right, this wasn't right at all.

“The fool thought that the queen loved him, that she would love anyone but me. Who shared her bed, hmm? Who sired a child with her? ME! I did! Liam Reed, the filth, will wish he had never laid eyes on my wife.”

~*~

hxANOxb.png

Liam hung from the ceiling, sleep wanting to take him, but he didn’t know how he could sleep if the blood kept getting cut off from his hands by the cuffs. He was so tired, his legs could barely support him. Battered and bloody, he was starting to doubt. The king wasn’t letting up on his interrogation, perhaps Liam should tell him lies to get him off his back for a while. But what would the king do when he returned and the lies had been just that- falsehoods and deadends? The torture would be double.

Was Anwyn really dead? He didn’t feel like she was. He felt her alive, and the times when he drifted between this world and the next he didn’t see her there. She didn’t greet him to welcome him home from this world of pain and beatings, so she couldn’t be dead. She would have had the child by now, was it healthy? A boy or a girl? Dear Creator, he hoped not twins for her sanity sake.

ediPtep.png

“My child…” he said quietly to himself. He wouldn’t tell the king how to access the Western Islands, to protect Anwyn, her family, and their child. He would bear this, as hard as it was, for them. He would manage it.

RAfQ3uN.png

A voice came from the entrance. “Still awake? Too bad, I was going to let you sleep, but now that I know I’m not interrupting you, would you like to have some fun?”

~*~

COVjT8R.png

“My cycle is late.” Anwyn said as she walked into Romeo’s one room shack.

“You’re- you’re what?” he asked, surprised that she had barged in.

dAnzaSG.png

“My bleeding.” she said plainly. When he still looked confused, she went on. “Roughly every month a woman of child bearing age bleeds fi she isn’t pregnant. You’ve shared the island with me for three years, how have you not noticed this?”

Romeo shrugged.

phmQBb2.png

“Well, I’m late. And I’m rarely late. Romeo, what if I’m pregnant. What we did happened once, but it only takes once. I can’t be pregnant, I feel sick. No- Not in a pregnant sick kind of way, like i betrayed Liam. I can’t betray Liam like this. If he comes back, and I have another man’s child-”

HnYtT9Z.png

“Liam’s dead. There’s no one to disappoint. Look, Annie, if you are- pregnant-” the word sounded forigne coming out of his mouth, “We will be ok. If you want, I’ll marry you, nothing has to change, it’s ok.”

“No! No it’s not ok! That’s exactly what you want, isn’t it! You want the little wife, the children, the wedding! Romeo, I can’t do that with you. I can’t-” she was shaking.

ccJrqLB.png

“You wouldn’t want the child?” he asked, a bit offended.

Xy8CRMs.png

“Rom, what we did wasn't out of love. It was out of missing what we used to have with different people. I don’t love you that way, and a child running around will just show the mistake that we made. I’m not ready for another child, and I don’t want one with you, not now anyway. I haven’t planned for any of this, and I can’t have a baby that isn’t Liam's!” she sat on the bed and started crying.

Romeo took a second to process the information. He was shocked and insulted. Anwyn didn’t want his baby. They had known nearly immediately that what they had done had been a mistake, and they hadn’t done anything romantic since then. They’d even been awkward just touching one another until Anwyn said that what they were doing was silly and had pulled him in for a hug. But did she really not like him so much that she wouldn’t carry their child?

rKd3j21.png

“Anwyn, I- I don’t want to force you into anything. Whatever you want to do, I support you. Anything.” he tried to pull himself together to be supportive. Heck, they had been together only two weeks ago, there was no way to know for sure that she was pregnant this early.

HSP1DOV.png

“Then again, it could all be nothing. It could be stress from teaching, or it could be a fluke and I’ll get it in a few days. I don’t know what to do, Romeo. I’m so worried. I wasn’t worried this way with Liam. I knew I loved him, and he loved me, and while having a child wasn’t the best thing to do at that time, we weren’t worried about it, we were worried for our own lives.” she looked at him. “Rom, we can neer do that again. Ever.”

~*~

ttFYe2t.png

“You will never see her again, why not let them all burn to the ground?” asked the king. “They let her die, let the heir to the throne die, and yet you will not tell me how to get past their defenses! Speak!”

F9Zn5wy.png

He struck Liam, and once he had recovered, he said “I bet it’s small, isn’t it?”

FiHnsdF.png

He struck again. “Let me assure you, there is never anything small about me, the king of the strongest military this world has ever known! I will rule the known world and the world will know of my power!”

Liam waited for him to stop gloating. “So I’m right.” he cracked a smile. He was rewarded with a swift thrust to the gut.

0aVGfNN.png

“Perhaps if I were not wounded so in the battle, I wouldn’t be so worried about the wellbeing of the heir. A battle that you orchestrated.”

vabbx1R.png

“Why don’t you take a new queen and leave me here to rot. I’m sure there are plenty of fertile women willing to take your side.” Liam gasped out.

peNCpF9.png

“I’ve thought of that, swine, but the Church refuses to allow it. Apparently two wives is enough for any one king, and they won’t grant me the privilege of a new wife. Without a legal wife, any child I may sire wouldn’t be a legitimate heir. So tell me again, how do you get past the swirling winds?!”

~*~

MwY8K8d.png

Amelia sat in the ladies’ room, staring at the wall. Was this what Liam felt like when he knew he had to save that one girl, and when he knew he had to save Anwyn. No, probably not with Anwyn, he loved her, but he didn’t love the other woman, he just knew that he had to get her away from this place.

Liam couldn't stay here, but the king kept the keys to the dungeon, the cell, and the cuffs all with him at all times. There would be no way for Amelia to get them. Not even the cook could help them with being drugged. He had been thrown out since Briella had told the duchess that they were all drugged once a month so that the staff could have their fun.

fdPREPT.png

Was there another way to distract the king? Perhaps when he was asleep she could sneak in, but if he woke up she would be dead for sure. One thing was certain, the guards had all admired Anwyn and Liam, and Romeo was one of the most popular guards among the group. THey wouldn’t stand in the way of Amelia or Liam if she sprung him loose.

It had been a month though, and Liam hadn’t rested properly the whole time, nor had he eaten properly. He was probably malnourished and weak by now, making it even harder for him to escape.

But when Liam knew what the right thing to do was, he did it. No question. He formed a plan, then went for it, knowing full well that if it went wrong, he would be punished. Amelia needed some of that bravery.

fgwwp8B.png

How could she convince the king to let down his guard? As the queen’s lady, he had never been attracted to her, so she couldn't offer herself to him, as terrible as the thought was. Perhaps she could get in contact with the old cook and drug him one last time and make their escape. But the cook had been fired, and Amelia didn’t know where he was.

Could the recipe for the drink be in the kitchen still? Would they have been that careless? The cook had hundreds of recipes though it would take forever to find it, if it was there at all.

Still, the new cook was nicer than the last one, perhaps he would allow Amelia to be an assistant. She had nothing better to do with her time, now that her job had been made redundant. If she became the cook’s assistant, she could look through everything and try and find the drugged recipe.

Curses, but even if she found the recipe, and managed to slip it to the king, got the keys, and unlocked Liam, she didn’t have any of the resources that Liam had when trying to mount an escape. She didn’t know anyone with a boat, didn’t know anyone to take him off the island and get him all the way to the Western Islands.

There was the man who came to talk to the king about the laws that were being passed, but he only came every week. Perhaps she could convince him of the nobility of the quest and he would take him away.

6JAuLPR.png

It was one of her only shots, and she hoped that it would be enough. No one else, besides perhaps Sir Montoya, knew anyone of any potential. If the lawyer fell through, would Sir Montoya help Liam?

~*~

Another month had gone by, and Amelia was in good graces with the cook. She was learning quite a bit too, which she was surprised by. Now that she was the cook’s assistant, she was below the other court members, and no longer allowed to eat with the king. She ate with the guards, and while it was better company, she missed the news that she would hear. She had to get it all second hand from Alice afterwards, and she wasn’t a very good story teller.

JijC8Am.png

Every time the lawyer came, he left too quickly for Amelia to talk to him, being half way down to the shore by the time she realized he had come. It was beginning to feel like she would never be able to talk to him, and she knew that Liam didn’t have that much time left. She would have to be pretty convincing when she finally got the chance to talk to him.

Fate smiled on her after three chances missed, she was able to catch him on his way out.

dYqO6e3.png

“Sir, may I have a moment of your time?” she asked.

He looked around, seemingly in a hurry. “Yes, maiden, how may I be of service?”

“I must speak to you on a matter of great importance. Would you follow me to a place we won’t be overheard?” she asked.

3jJU2hC.png

He looked around again, anxious. “Maiden, I wouldn’t want anyone to get the wrong idea if we were to be alone together. Can we not speak openly?”

XJCtOJ0.png

“I’m afraid not. Please, if it bothers you so much, we may stand five feet apart from each other, though I highly doubt that anyone will see us or care. What these people think of me doesn’t matter to me.”

She turned up the stairs to the old queen’s wing. Amelia and Alice still slept at the far end of the hall, but it hadn’t been redecorated even though the queen had been gone for over a year now. The queen’s room was a private area, not used since the queen was removed, though it was still dusted and kept clean.

Amelia led him into the room, making his eyes widen even more. “Relax,” she said, “This is the most private area in the palace, and we won’t be heard here.”

7EnOeex.png

“If you say so…” he said quietly, taking in the rich furnishings of the room. Amelia often forgot that the past queen had quite exotic tastes and the detailed tiling was not commonplace.

RmT6Z2v.png

“I have something that I need your help with. It’s a matter of great importance, and from what I’ve heard you’re a just man.”

“I try to be, what aid do you have in mind?” he asked, sceptical.

Amelia then told him about the king taking Anwyn as queen, how she was in love with Liam, how they tried to escape, and how Liam had been captured and now was imprisoned under the palace.

RmT6Z2v.png

“You see, they’re soulmates, the loves of each other’s lives, we can’t let him rot down there in agony. I need your help to get him off the island.” Ameila pleaded.

Xptssas.png

The man considered. “The king has every right to hold him until he sees fit to release him. If what I hear is true, Sir Reed is guilty of treason and should be executed.”

ov9WPdR.png

3WvQBKR.png

Amelia started to tear up, sending the man into a panic. “Then again, I never liked the king. And what he did with the past queen was illegal, only overseen by the Church so that they had more funding.”

YsVyrR1.png

He considered for a while, and he walked over to the window. He took a deep breath. “I don’t know that there will be a law I can use against him. How else can I be of service?”

YXhPBl4.png

“You don’t need to use the law!” Amelia jumped up. “I just need you to be waiting to take him away from the island. No one here will stop you, all of the staff wants him free but can’t do it on our own. Everyone is too afraid to do anything, but I know that Liam would do the same for us if he could. Please, I need you to help me! I’ll take care of everything else.”

He eyed her, wondering how a single woman would be able to free a man double her weight from a locked cell, but she seemed determined. The king was a bad ruler, everyone agreed, but no one stood up to him since he had the power of the military on his side. It was a no win situation.

Z6LjJWo.png

“I- when do you recommend we do this?” he asked.

“The next time you come. I’ll take care of everything else, just wait at the dock after you’re done for the day, I’ll get him down to you once the sun sets. I’m so grateful for this, I don’t know who I could ever repay you. I’m in your debt for this.” she bubbled with relief.

8aQoA2r.png

“You don’t have to thank me, thwarting the king is payment enough. He’s been a thorn in my side for years. I’ll see you in two weeks.” he said, exiting the room.

It was a good thing that Amelia had found the well-worn recipe a few days before, she would be ready. Everything balanced on this one act. They would all be killed, or they would all live. Either way, things were going to change.

I am crossing my fingers in every direction I can to get the next chapter to be the season finale, but I It would be a long one like this. Still, I'm not sure where to cut the idea in two if it were going to be two chapters? Ugh, the hardships of writing!
    jzZP0sJ.png
    edited March 2020
    I did it, guys. I did it. I need to reread it, edit it, make sure it runs smooth, but I think I did it. It is written.
    jzZP0sJ.png
    “The fool thought that the queen loved him, that she would love anyone but me. Who shared her bed, hmm? Who sired a child with her? ME! I did! Liam Reed, the filth, will wish he had never laid eyes on my wife.”

It seems the king is delusional.

And it seems that Liam still has some luck on his side. Maybe. And people too
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • VanPelt81VanPelt81 Posts: 2,990 Member
    I would love to see that King get his just deserts and by that I mean someone beheading him.
    I have the day off tomorrow, fingers crossed that I will get it out then :star:
    jzZP0sJ.png
    edited March 2020
    2m69vuV.png

Y'all ready for this?

Chapter 28

Dinner was served promptly at 6 every evening; you could set a clock to it. Amelia had read the recipe nearly every night before leaving the kitchen every night after she washed the dishes and the cook had departed for the night to get a nightcap and get some sleep before having to wake early to make breakfast.

The recipe took an hour and a half to take effect, so if the king took his usual 40 minutes to eat, he would be asleep by… 8:10?

She set the king’s plate down in front of him. The good thing about the recipe for the drug is that if done correctly, there would be no taste and it would be effective in most dishes. Amelia went back to the kitchen, hoping with every fiber of her being that the king ate his whole meal and didn’t notice that he was feeling tired later.

He shouldn’t notice, though. Amelia had changed the time on the clocks in his study to an hour faster than the actual time, so he would think that he was tired at the appropriate time. Alice had clued her into that little idea.

PI4UL1Y.png

“I feel like I can almost break him, I can almost taste the knowledge he possesses about the Islands, I can almost make them pay for what they did. A few days more, I’ll have him begging for his life.” he took a swig of his wine. “It’s funny, I’ve done the math on how long he’s been a prisoner, and I don’t think I’ve ever had one hold out this long. We spent a month at sea, then we spent three months getting back home, now it’s been two months here, that’s six months. Half a year! If the man didn’t deserve a hanging, he deserves a medal.” the king gloated at dinner.

PSKDhxi.png

“Well, there goes my appetite.” Alice said quietly, pushing away her plate.

xHWUaNZ.png

“I’m proud of you, Galant. After what happened to Anwyn, you have every right to sink those islands into the sea they rose out of.” beamed the duchess.

A8jHXJJ.png

Amelia, who was listening in from the other side of the door, tried to stop her stomach from abandoning her body. Soon it would be over. Liam would be safe, and Amelia had decided that she would go with him. He would need help, and she had nothing left for her here. Wherever they went after here was anywhere better than here, and she wouldn’t miss any of it. Sure, Alice was alright, but a bit cold. The guards were nice enough when they weren't’ passed out in their bunks from drinking too much. Liam and Romeo had been the more interesting people to be around, people who cared.

Amelia stepped away from the door and tried to calm her nerves. She had set aside some provisions, written a note to the nice cook saying she wouldn’t be returning, stole some of the guards’ trousers so that she could move easier, and had tied up her hair so that she didn’t have to worry about it getting in the way when she was doing things. She took a deep breath and took mental lists of everything they would need.

Gqi9pSa.png

The duchess wasn’t much of an issue in this equation. While she liked the idea of violence, she didn’t have any interest in doing it with her own hands. She had gone to gaze at Liam a few times, even entered the cell once or twice while the king was there, but she didn’t make it her routine. She would go to her wing after dinner, listen to her fairybox, probably check on Lucas, her son, then go to bed while scheming about how to grab more power.

The way should be clear, no one would stand in her way.

Dinner was cleared, and Amelia looked at the clock. They were right on schedule. Since the lawyer had come today, the king would be looking over papers, checking that everything was as it should be, and that he agreed with what they were passing as laws.

g35Cbqv.png

Amelia took about an hour to wash all of the dishes; her hands didn’t want to work right. “Come on, you. It’s just a dish.” she scolded and tried to soothe her nerves. “Focus on one thing at a time...”

auE3h6f.png

Half an hour to go, and she walked up the stairs, trying not to run. Her legs felt like they wanted to jump out from underneath her, and her heart felt the way warbly voices sounded. This was insane, she wasn't brave, she wasn’t a knight, or a heroine that she had read about in a book. There was still time to back out-

-But this was the right thing. She couldn't let Liam rot for saving the woman he loved, he had to be saved. There was no backing out.

Ameila changed into her incognito clothes, slipped on some quiet boots, and headed to the king’s wing. She had a bit of time before the drug took full effect, but there was a chance that the king had already decided to head to bed because he was starting to feel tired. Ameila listened to one of the doors, knowing that the king read aloud in a low voice when reading the legislation, and if you listened very carefully you could hear him.

VR7vE7Z.png

Amelia took a relieved breath. He was still in his study, and she had time to get into position. There was a fake bookcase in the king’s sitting room that led down to the guard’s wing, and she quickly made for it.

KIzX5yp.png

EeOLp97.png

Standing in the dim, she could hear the king open his door and faintly hear him shuffle around, changing into his night clothes. The floor creaked when he laid down on the bed, and after a few minutes Amelia knew she was in the clear. The king should be fast asleep now.

VZRwuSB.png

Amelia very slowly opened the door, and peered inside. The keys had to be near the king, he wouldn’t leave them just lying anywhere. Amelia checked the bedside table first. They weren’t there.

2HM8QWj.png

Maybe they were in the dressing area. She walked over to the little room, an exact mirror image of the previous queen’s room, only everything was gold. The bathtub was even inlaid with the stuff, had he no shame?

There they were! Hanging on a hook by one of the displays, she grabbed them and prayed to the creator that they were the right ones. As large as this palace was, there weren’t many locked doors, only the personal rooms had keys, and there weren’t that many of those. Besides, those were all decorative and had elaborate heads, these keys were utilitarian and plain. They had to be for the dungeons.

Amelia grabbed the clump by the keys and not the ring so they didn’t clink, and made her way out of the king’s bedroom, knowing that she would never have to return if this went right.

rb3bCHK.png

She made her way down the hidden stairway, down to the guards’ wing, and made her way to the dungeon by way of back hallways, It was the safest way; none of the staff would stop her and the duchess, Briella, and Remington found them below their station to use such passages.

Slipping into the dungeon, Amelia held her nose. She knew that Liam hadn’t bathed in several months, but had he also not been allowed to use the toilet? Still, she couldn't let a smell stop her now. She had to press on.

GxcFvul.png

Liam was the only prisoner in the place, so he was easy to find. At least they kept some lanterns lit in his cell, otherwise he would be in total darkness. Apparently the king didn’t want to be tripping when he felt like visiting his prisoners.

“Liam! Liam wakeup!” she said quietly. Why was she being quiet, she knew that sound didn't penetrate these walls. “Liam! For Creator’s sake, wake up!

ECaevdH.png

His head moved slightly, like he was trying to lift it. He licked his lips, cracked and dry. “Women aren’t usually allowed down here…” he mumbled.

“It’s Amelia, remember me? I’ve come to get you out of here.” she said, trying to reach his cuffs.

“Amelia? I think I remember an Amelia. But that was so long ago…” He still didn’t open his eyes.

“About a year, and I’m sorry I didn’t get you out sooner.” She reached way up and was just able to fit the key in, and turn it. The cuff sprang open, and suddenly he was hanging by only one arm.

He yelled out in agony, then whimpered. He was half the size he had once been, scrawny and devoid of any muscle, but he was still taller than her. How she was going to get him up the stairs, through the halls, and down to the beach was becoming more and more of a concern.

xbYEid4.png

She quickly unlocked the other cuff and he fell to the floor, not able to move his arms or legs. The things that the king had done to him must have been truly terrible, to break such a strong man.

“I hate to rush you, but can you stand? Or move your legs?” she said as she tried to get her arms underneath him. “We have to get down to the shore. I have a boat waiting for us.”

“I have bad luck getting to boats…” he muttered as he tried to move his leg, but it wouldn’t be of any help. The knee bent a bit, the foot flopped around, but they wouldn’t be supporting any weight.

“Then I’ll carry you. Come on-” she let out a short huf as she tried to lift him from under the arms, when she heard a step behind her.

Her blood ran cold. No one but Alice knew of her plan, And the only people who came down here weren’t the good ones…

6fIvSfH.png

She turned around, and saw Sir Montoya in casual clothes, looking at her with an unreadable face.

“Please, you don’t have to tell the king, you know this is wrong-” she began.

W1Ffrmc.png

He paused her with a raise of his hand. “I saw how Liam looked at Anwyn when they returned from the manor, and I did nothing. I heard that the king could not bear children due to a charm from the cook there, and I said nothing. On the journey, I noticed that the queen was with child, and I knew that the child was Liam’s, and still I did nothing, said nothing. I stood by while the band of natives fought the king and Templars, and I did nothing. I didn’t stop Liam from escaping with Anwyn, I didn’t fight the natives, I watched. I stood by as the king beat Liam in the camp, I stood followed as he led him back to the palace. I have stood here for long enough, it is time I did something.” he stepped forward, a grim look on his face.

Amelia stumbled back in fear. “Sir, please, don’t turn us in, he’ll hang us if the king finds out!”

Sir Montoya paid her no mind, and instead hoisted Liam up from the floor.

rVKyoOm.png

“It is time I do the right thing.” he said with gravity, and turned and pushed the cell door open with his foot, Amelia scrambling after him.

“Sir, but you have so much for you here. You can’t leave all of this behind, your station as head guard of the king’s palace, one of his military advisors, of his trusted friends. If you choose to be an ally to us, you are more powerful here than away from it.” Amelia said, walking along beside him.

vN4g5a4.png

“I am not leaving with you, and you did not see me this night. I am and always have been the quiet strength of the king, and none of that changes. But in this action, I am doing the right thing. I am saving an innocent man whom I admire for his bravery, kindness, and his will to never give up.” he said plainly. The exertion wasn’t even showing in his face, he must be in good shape.

“That’s why I’m doing this too.” Amelia said quietly. “I’m doing the right thing for someone who would do the same for me.”

He didn’t respond, he simply walked on keeping an even stride.

They exited the palace from the back, making sure that they weren’t seen, and then walked from shadow to shadow. Now that they were clear of the wall, they weren’t afraid of being seen by a guard, but they didn’t want to be seen by anyone who may be looking out of a high enough window.

The boat was waiting for them, and while the lawyer seemed to give Liam a weary look, he opened the sail of the small ship and turned towards the mainland, where they would be able to breathe a bit easier. Time to put this old life physically behind them. Amelia didn’t know where they would go, or where they would find shelter in this hostile world, but they would have to flee quickly. The king would have the cities crawling with soldiers looking for them by evening, if not sooner. It wouldn’t be easy, but surely one of the hardest steps was done already.

~*~

[c] Four years after the Cupshires arrival at the Islands[/c]

U8Nq2M2.png

eAR3gSD.png

“And that’s why we put commas in after clauses, so we can make more complex and interesting sentences and just subject, verb, and noun.” Anwyn said as she saw Midshore out of the corner of her eye. While an open air school seemed like a paradise dream come true, it was very easy to become distracted. How was she supposed to scold the students from daydreaming if she was distracted by one person?

VIk6NRv.png

“I want to see six complex sentences by Friday, extra credit if you use a semicolon correctly!” Anwyn called out as the clock struck three. The kids all ran out of the classroom, ready to go home after a studious day.

8CJSXJa.png

Anwyn smiled and turned to Midshore. “How can I help you, Midshore? I don’t normally see you all the way on this side of the cluster.” she asked while packing up the papers she had to grade.

Midshore looked at her as if she couldn't decide how to say what she had to say, which made Anwyn hesitant. Midshore always knew what to say, always had the words ready and eloquent.

“Midshore?” she asked again. “Cat got your tongue?”

k8H6RY7.png

“The council wants to see you immediately. I’m here to deliver you.” she said. Was that a quiver in her voice? What was so bad that the council wanted to see her so quickly and urgently? Nothing had happened with a student, had it? Milly had been absent, but she was just home with a fever, nothing life threatening. Did she have a sudden turn in health? But why would the council need her immediately if it was about a student? Anwyn’s mind swam, but she nodded, grabbed her bag, and took Midshore’s hand.

The boat finally docked on the warm sand, and the weary passengers stepped off and were greeted by an old woman with bright paint splashed on her face. They had heard that the Island people did things differently here, it must be part of their culture to show their wild side? Lily tried to breathe easy, knowing that they were in the land of freedom, where they could be anything they wanted, and didn’t have to fight for the right to live.

rxXIeni.png

“Oh my, quite a group here, how many is that? Seven of you? That’s quite a number. We usually get them in smaller groups, but we’ve had larger than you. Where do you come from, travelers?” the old woman asked.

wWb1k9d.png

“We come from, well,” she paused “We come from all over. Most of us are from the northern border, a few of us are from the mainland. We won’t be any trouble, we’ve seen enough of it to live a life of peace after what we’ve been through.” Lily assured.

1ryK5kk.png

“I’m sure you’ll get along here fine, dear. Is there anyone here that you know? We’ve had quite a few refugees over the years from the north and mainland, perhaps you have family that has fled?” she asked.

“I don’t think so-” Lily started.

shC8PFi.png

“Have you heard of any Cupshires?” Asked a gruff voice from the back of the group. “They’re like family to me, though it’s been some time since I’ve seen them. So long…” he trailed off.

rSdgOex.png

The old woman considered for a moment, scratching her head. “Cupshires, Cupshire… Why, yes! A large family that can’t stop growing, I believe I know who you’re talking about!” she exclaimed.

ZNKW6Hk.png

The man just about looked like he was going to melt from ecstasy. “You have?! Can I see them? They were my fiance’s family, the closest thing I still have of her left. And a guard, was there a guard with them?”

Lily’s cheeks flushed at the long gone thought of the guard who said he was Liam’s friend.

“Calm, child. First, before you see anyone, you should bathe and wear a change of clothes.” The old woman said, and she led them to a house for new refugees.

Lara’s whole family had been summoned into the council room, along with a group of people she didn’t recognise, but based on their lack of body fat, they were new refugees.

One person she did recognize was Liam.

cJVaR68.png

“You’re-you’re not dead!” she exclaimed as Romeo embraced him, holding on for several moments. It was like holding a solid ghost, if you let go, the vision may fade again.

“I was close to it a few times, though I’d rather not have to think about that. I’m so relieved to see you all made it. Mrs. Cupshire, Are those your grandchildren running around? They look just like Lara, they must be hers!’

P69X19u.png

“Yes, I’m a grandmother, and I have a toddler of my own running around. You remember newborn Benjamin? He’s four years old now!” she laughed, tears in her eyes.

“What a wonderful thing! I’m so happy that he survived the trip.” he said, his shirt becoming wet from Romeo’s tears.

“We all survived, thanks to you. We could live our lives over and still not be able to repay you for what you did for us.” Mr. Cupshire thanked in reverence.

nqq8gcN.png

“Your lives well lived are payment enough.” his face darkened, and old grief showed on his face. “Is- I heard that Anwyn had died on the journey. Is there a grave I can visit? I want to be close to her, to know where she rests.”

Play this music
    The curtain hung across the windowed door of the council room, an odd occurrence. The room itself rarely had it’s curtains drawn, and it was the Island custom to make matters of the government public, represented by the many windows. If they had closed off the room, it could only mean that whatever they wanted to talk to her about wasn’t a public affair, which set Anwyn’s mind even more in a panic.

PlAJcYY.png

“Midshore, what is this about? You can tell me, I’ll act surprised when they talk about it, I promise. Just don’t send me in there blind.” Anwyn tried to play into her good side.

Midshore held Anwyn by her shoulders and turned her so that her back was facing the door. She smiled, tears forming puddles in her eyes. “Someone has been working on their demons.” she cooed in her soft voice as Anwyn heard the curtains be lifted on the other side of the door. The voices that had been bubbling on the other side stopped suddenly, which made Anwyn panic even more.

Med7PDl.png

As she looked at Midshore with confusion plastered on her face, she was turned around and the door was opened.

L9GXQo8.png

In the middle of the room was a tall, red haired man with broad shoulders. He turned to see why everyone had stopped talking, Romeo revealed behind him, his face a sobbing mess.

chenPn1.png

Anwyn would have recognized that sharp nose anywhere, those golden brown eyes, the red fluff that grew from his jaw.

0PJDfIl.png

Anwyn felt her heart stop. She couldn’t breathe. Her lungs had forgotten how to function. How many times had she turned a corner and thought she would see him there? How many times had she dreamed of him, could have sworn she felt his gentle embrace like the last night at the ruins as she slept?

084sNMj.png

She didn’t see her family, or the council members, or the other unrecognized people in the room, she only saw him. If she blinked he’d be gone, so she had to take all of him in now, before he vanished.

NxLATys.png

He seemed just as shocked to see her. All these years, he had come to the realization that she was dead, as the king had repeated over and over all those years ago. But here she was, with color in her cheeks, waves in her hair.

The two of them walked towards each other while the rest of the room watched on, many of them holding one another.

kzO0BJY.png

nLJVGqP.png

Liam reached out first, and he touched her face. She felt it, a shock going through her that jump started what had stopped. She breathed a gulp of air, filling her lungs.

Df3M4Ks.png

V973l5k.png

In a moment they were embracing each other, a kiss to span the wasted time evolving between them.

6xdmeHw.png

LXZ3qEW.png

They held each other for several minutes, holding onto their solid ghosts when Anwyn remembered. “Gloria!” she exclaimed.

Liam smiled with the corner of his mouth. “Gloria? Is that a new exclamation?” he asked.

tQADp3O.png

“It will be once you meet her. Midshore- oh you planned ahead!” Anwyn picked Gloria up from the floor where she was standing, beginning to be a bit big for picking up, though she reckoned that she had some time before she didn’t want to be held anymore.

The red hair was unmistakable. “Liam, meet Gloria, our daughter. Gloria, this is Daddy! I know you don’t know him, but he was busy saving our world. He kept us very safe for a very long time, but he’s home now. He loves us very much.”

The child looked at the tall man, giving him the once over. “So he’s like a soldier, always keeping us safe?” Gloria asked.

“He was a soldier, for a time, but yes, he kept us very safe.” Anwyn confirmed as the word bounced around in her head. “There will come a soldier, who carries a mighty sword. He will tear down your doors but you will be happy when he comes” Midshore had prophesied. When Anwyn had heard the prophecy, after the ordeal she had been through, she didn’t think she’d ever be happy to see another soldier, but now she couldn’t fathom being happier. She opened her doors to him, he didn’t tear them down, perhaps the prophecy wasn’t as literal as it sounded.

z9ee3Ye.png

Anwyn looked back into Liam’s eyes. He was here, whole. Four years is a long time to go without someone, and it’s easy to grow apart when you think you’ll never see the other again. None of that mattered to her right now, and as Gloria wiggled to get put down so she could play with her cousins, Anwyn kissed Liam again, just to make sure he was still real.

5tQUeBL.png

~*~

Lily met Romeo out on the sand. She had often thought about the guard with lots of guts and little spine, but now, seeing him as a piece that fit into the puzzle of the people he loved, it made perfect sense. He was a follower who wanted to make his own path, but found it easier to find a close spot where he was needed.

The few short days she had spent with him had been some of the most memorable she could recall. He had a sarcastic sense of humor that she saw parts of in Liam which no doubt is one of the reasons they were friends, and at the time it had been so new to her to hear different jokes.

They had flirted a bit then, and the attraction was undeniable, but their time had been so short that nothing had developed. And yet, here he was, standing so near to her, wiping tears from his face. The pair’s reuniting had rocked everyone in the room, and even Lily felt that she had teared up at their embrace. She had heard Liam murmur the woman’s name quite a few times in his sleep, and she knew that he had cursed his own life to save hers. To see him get his reward for his unimaginable pain was enough of an emotional shock to make a stone sprout water.

9QXHmDH.png

“Romeo, right? I’m Lilly. I bet you don’t remember me.” she introduced.

TqAZuDw.png

“You look familiar, you were in the band of natives when we stormed the King’s camp, right?” he asked, trying to speak clearly through his sore-from-crying throat.

xyeAaLl.png

“Yes.” she smiled, stepping closer. “I- I remember you clearly, which is why I hope you don’t mind what I’m about to do. I should have done it then. Consider it payment for saving my life.” she leaned in and kissed him, a delicate thing, not asking for anything more, willing to leave it at that if he chose to.

jO6WHqI.png

WtfwK6t.png

Romeo looked at her, perplexed. “If I remember correctly, you said that I would be avenged. Did you complete your mission?”

“You will be happy to know that I relieved the King of any way to make an heir.” she snickered.

Romeo took her by the waist and kissed her properly.

GqFM0Vu.png

There's a bit of an epilogue to this, it'll be out today sometime. Fun fact: I once had a dream where I wasn't myself, I was playing a character and someone told me "Someone's been working on their demons" and then showed me my dream soulmate on the other side of the door who I hadn't seen in forever, apparently, so the phrase has been bouncing around my head forever and I finally get to use it!
    jzZP0sJ.png
    Well, my sims is being buggy. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but Origin can't find my games currently and it says that the servers are down. So I uninstalled origin and re downloaded it, and now it doesn't realize that I already own Sims, so I'll be off of that for a while. Lovely. Let's hope EA fixes it soon.
    jzZP0sJ.png
    LXZ3qEW.png
    I like how Romeo is cheering in this shot. :D What about Anwyn's second pregnancy though? 🤔

And I think the fates were on their side. A lot of people came to Liam's aid and got him to where he is right now. It's amazing that he finally gets to meet his daughter. :smiley:

Irishsong wrote: »
    Well, my sims is being buggy. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but Origin can't find my games currently and it says that the servers are down. So I uninstalled origin and re downloaded it, and now it doesn't realize that I already own Sims, so I'll be off of that for a while. Lovely. Let's hope EA fixes it soon.

Yeah, it's been harder to maintain things during the lockdown. Everyday I keep hoping that things will return to normal soon

icmnfrsh wrote: »
    LXZ3qEW.png
    I like how Romeo is cheering in this shot. :D What about Anwyn's second pregnancy though? 🤔

And I think the fates were on their side. A lot of people came to Liam's aid and got him to where he is right now. It's amazing that he finally gets to meet his daughter. :smiley:
    I didn't know how to fit it in to the story, but Anwyn wasn't pregnant, she was just late. The scene between her and Romeo was to put distance between the two of them, a way to show how they both regretted their actions and how deeply Anwyn felt guilty about what she did. They didn't tell Liam.
    jzZP0sJ.png
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    LXZ3qEW.png

I didn't know how to fit it in to the story, but Anwyn wasn't pregnant, she was just late. The scene between her and Romeo was to put distance between the two of them, a way to show how they both regretted their actions and how deeply Anwyn felt guilty about what she did. They didn't tell Liam.
    Yeah, I don't think Liam has to know

I uploaded a copy of Anwyn and Liam to the Gallery just now, so you guys can have them for your own fun if you like! I took out all the cc, but I use cc eyes so you'll have to tick the box for that. Use the #HeartFullofStars, or look for the name Reed
    jzZP0sJ.png
    I've been trying to write, but the inspiration that was an ocean is now becoming a pond. I need to refill my inspiration, I think I need to watch some star wars again. Or Lord of the Rings.
    jzZP0sJ.png
    I've been trying to write, but the inspiration that was an ocean is now becoming a pond. I need to refill my inspiration, I think I need to watch some star wars again. Or Lord of the Rings.

Yeah, best not to rush it. You've established a good rhythm so far. I think a break to help recapture some inspiration is called for

@icmnfrsh @TaraIris94
    I've been mulling over the next plot lines and since my readers are important to me I was wondering if there are any plot lines you may like me to explore, or if there's someway I could improve my writing? Should I try for more internal thought, more outward action, more character drama? Should I take more time to be descriptive or do you think I should move things along a bit faster?

I think now is a good point to ask for some constructive criticism and some reflection. Be honest, be kind.
    jzZP0sJ.png
    Hmm...I'm not so good at the constructive criticism at times.

In terms of plot lines, how's the time scaling going to be in the next few chapters? Is it going to take place in the space of months or years? If it's slower, maybe we can have a "breather" episode showing what life on the island is like for Anwyn and the others, especially since Liam is now there. It could be an opportunity to flesh out the characterization of some minor characters. Regardless, it feels like we've reached a point in the story where the conflicts have died down a bit, but we know that it's not yet the end. Things haven't come to a head yet with the King. He's still out there and looking. So we know that eventually it'll lead to another big conflict. So it would be interesting to see how it all builds up to that.

I'm also not sure what the plans for the children are. Will we see them grow up, or will the story end before they do? You did say something before about generations, but I'm not sure.

I'm planning to pass the torch to the next generation mostly, but obviously Anwyn and Liam will still be around. Turns out I have no idea how to write children, so I think I'll play that just so the kids grow up the normal way sims do, at least until they're teenagers, but I could do a relaxed chapter.
    jzZP0sJ.png
    I'm planning to pass the torch to the next generation mostly, but obviously Anwyn and Liam will still be around. Turns out I have no idea how to write children, so I think I'll play that just so the kids grow up the normal way sims do, at least until they're teenagers, but I could do a relaxed chapter.

Yeah, that sounds good. You can devote a chapter or two to characterizing the people of the island before the conflict picks up again. There's still Anwyn establishing a rhythm after starting the school

2m69vuV.png

Chapter 28.5

K1No65q.png

It wasn’t a question whether or not Liam and Anwyn would want to get married, and they did so quickly. Anwyn wasn’t as big as a melon when she was married, like she originally thought she would be, and she looked like a sea goddess in her linen dress.

Liam met her up at the wedding arch, magical sparks falling from a point above their heads.

ei2ImxM.png

“Gotta say, you look pretty good in clean clothes.” she playfully swooned over Liam.

“Then I plan to make it a habit of doing so.” he said with a smile.

Weddings were a big thing on the Islands. On the mainland, it was more of a formal affair, with religious representatives to preside over the ceremony, but here it was a really big party. People danced, they showed up late, strangers dropped in and joined in on the fun. It was chaos, but a good chaos. A way to let go of perfection.

Oso3I69.png

A custom of the Islands is that the bride and groom wear matching leaf bracelets. When two lives are brought together in love, they form a life that is stronger together. Like the vines, we too will grow strong.

Qwrv2wP.png

“Anwyn, you are the most beautiful woman I’ve ever known, and everything in my life has led me to you. As terrible as my life has been, when I found you it was all worth it. To see you happy, and healthy, I would lay down my life. Our daughter will never know what it is to not be loved. I was parted from you once, and the sun will freeze over before anything stands between us again.”

JCCIF6y.png

He touched Anwyn’s face, and the love she felt for him was so strong it was almost painful.

TU2IZrl.png

He pulled out a ring. “Anwyn, I hereby ask you to be my wife. Will you marry me?”

1sKxAXr.png

Anwyn held out her hand as Liam slid the ring on. “I once promised you that I’d love you until I stopped breathing and beyond that. Having been to the beyond, I can say for certainty that I loved you then too. When I thought you were dead and I couldn’t be with you, I still loved you. I never stopped, and I never will.”

Liam beamed, and then he kissed her, sealing the deal.

dni0BTu.png

skh05Tz.png

LAm0hFR.png

Fireworks burst over their heads, but their thoughts were only one each other, and when they seperated, they looked into each other’s eyes as if they couldn’t believe they finally were married. They had known each other for five and a half years, both of them had grown since those starry eyed days. Anwyn was now 24 years old, and Liam was 29, but they had the rest of their lives to spend together.

KMSCICD.png

Anwyn broke the silence between them. “I once wanted to join the stars up in their glittering beauty, but with you, I feel like they’re all here, in me. My heart if full of-”

“Full of stars.” Liam finished for her.

PYqHrgC.png

Of course it isn’t the sims without something ruining your carefully crafted wedding. First, Everyone was late to arrive at the wedding, then half of the people didn’t show up. Romeo! We need you at the wedding!

YAiUfGP.png

LH4dm1W.png

Zyqivaf.png

Then, I haven’t used fireworks for weddings before. I don’t know what I’ve been waiting for, I guess all of my weddings were during the day so they weren’t worth it, and then another one was held inside, so this was the best time to use them! BUT- they started 4 individual fires at different times, breaking up the party over and over!

1kWLOFe.png

xCx5BdU.png

Liam has taken to being a dad really quick, he grabbed Gloria and took her to safety while Anwyn extinguished her mom from being on fire. Then Dante (Anwyn’s older brother) extinguished another one.

l23xtGE.png

aePVHW4.png

And then Anwyn extinguished another one.

TDCs9Lq.png

86iQNNP.png

Finally they were able to cut the cake, and the crowd celebrated! Cute!

Here’s some candid shots.

KmwjFVr.png

bsnEjXP.png

DLBUhqq.png

Here’s the wedding area.

Nho624U.png

Here’s Liam playing with Gloria at his wedding autonomously. I thought that was cute.

8ZDcJMO.png

I also had them use sparklers this time, another underused item.

IZbKAtM.png

vnYCHpb.png

xxcKP38.png

And here’s a really cute picture of Gloria in the water. Aw!

b85EMuO.png
    jzZP0sJ.png
  • TaraIris94TaraIris94 Posts: 552 Member
    @icmnfrsh @TaraIris94
    I've been mulling over the next plot lines and since my readers are important to me I was wondering if there are any plot lines you may like me to explore, or if there's someway I could improve my writing? Should I try for more internal thought, more outward action, more character drama? Should I take more time to be descriptive or do you think I should move things along a bit faster?

I think now is a good point to ask for some constructive criticism and some reflection. Be honest, be kind.

Sorry for the late reply! I usually don't check the forum much over the weekends but I hope it's not too late.

I like the idea of exploring their lives on the island a bit more and possibly learning a bit more about the other family members. Seeing more of Anwyn's life as a teacher would be good and to also see how the others typically spend their time.

I think your writing is overall great and I personally don't think there is anything you can improve on besides going into a bit more character detail- but that's mainly me wanting to know more about everyone.

The pace that the story is moving at is good I think for now (obviously things will move quicker at times).

I appreciate that you want your readers' input! I hope this helped. I'm also not great at constructive criticism, but I honestly don't think anything negative about this story and I don't think that anything needs major improvement.
    "Sea goddess" is right :D

And yeah, the game gets weird when you invite a lot of people. My sim had a wedding and his twin brother (and also his closest friend) didn't show up. It took me several tries for him to spawn.

Oof, I didn't know about the fires, though.

The wedding was really cute! And Gloria too. It's nice to see a little happiness amidst those dark times

@TaraIris94 thanks! Personally, I haven't thought too much on what the lives of the other sims would be like that much. I haven't thought about how Joseph would act, or how would Sophia get along with her little brother. It's a bit hazy. Perhaps I could wrap it in a bit more as I go.

We're certainly going to see more of the priestesses, more of the Reeds, that sort of thing. I'm just unsure of the Cupshires.
    jzZP0sJ.png
    edited April 2020
    2m69vuV.png

Chapter 29

z2yjgnT.png

RufavFd.png

And so life went on. Anwyn was ridiculously happy, and Liam took to fatherhood flawlessly. Seriously, he had a perfect relationship with Gloria in no time, while Anwyn is trying hard with her half bar.

A2K833O.png

bMA7kbz.png

Soon it was time for Gloria to grow up, to get a bigger bed, bigger clothes, and to be able to feed herself. Hallelujah!

~*~

yKkGzl1.png

Gloria looked up through her ceiling, the glass separating her from the starry night beyond her. If she laid there long enough, she could notice the stars move. Of course, their movement was so slow her eyes couldn’t see the actual movement, but after a while she would notice that they weren’t where they had been positioned before.

They glittered the sky, looking like slowed down twinkles of sun on the water. Some of them had different colors, but you had to have a good eye to see that. Daddy couldn’t see all of the different colors, not for many years now, but he could see most of them. He said he missed seeing the different colors, but he’d rather miss some colors over not being able to see at all.

CVjXf4m.png

The moon would be full tomorrow, which meant that her room would be full of light and she could play with toys later, as long as she was very, very quiet. She was getting better at being silent; there was a lot that you could get away with when people don’t know you’re there. She had been able to take a second helping of dessert from the cabinet yesterday, and she had been able to build sand sculptures at night when she was supposed to be sleeping. Of course, the evidence of these actions were obvious when they looked at the disturbed sand the next morning, or noticed the sweet missing.

Benjamin was older than her by only half a year, and while she was potty trained before he was, he still liked to pull rank on her once in a while and say that as the older person and as the uncle, he knew better. They were in the same level in school, he didn’t know more than her.

She giggled at his attempt to be better than he was. Mara and Mable were always together, and when they were little it was hard to tell them apart, but now that their hair had grown to be different colors it was easier. They were Gloria’s best friends, and when Anwyn thought they were up to something at school she called over the whole group. Benjamin usually stayed above it all, though he wasn’t impervious to a good sneak once in a while.

Gloria very quietly got up from the blanket on the floor and avoided the floorboards that creaked as she climbed into bed. Tomorrow was going to be busy, she just hoped that she would be able to fall asleep before morning.

Of course, Anwyn didn’t want just one child, and Liam always saw himself as a family man, so they had a bit of fun while Gloria was sleeping…

Mq8FIDk.png

MXlBsei.png

iMezdBa.png

~*~

Anwyn and Liam layed out on the chilly sand, looking up at the cloudy sky. She sometimes missed the feeling of grass, but the grass also hid lots of bugs. Then again, the grass didn’t stick around with her when she got up, not usually.

“Would you like a boy or another girl?” she asked Liam, pondering with a smile on her face.

Ef4G3Rk.png

“I barely know what to want. I was a single child, I don’t know much about raising a family besides what these few years of being with Gloria have taught me. Would a boy cause more trouble or would a girl be more of a competition?” he asked, half serious.

“I guess we’ll have to find out,” Anwyn rested her hands where she knew that a new life grew, then rolled over and kissed Liam.

“We’re having a baby.” she congratulated.

~*~

“Hey, honey bunny, you know how Grandma has six kids?” Anwyn asked Gloria while they were making dinner.

“Yeah, there’s Uncle Dante, Aunty Lara, Aunty Sophia, Uncle-” she started to list before Anwyn waved her off.

“And you know how Aunty Lara has two kids, right?” Anwyn asked.

“Sure. Mable and Mara are my best friends.”

“Well, soon we’re going to have another kid. Mommy’s growing a baby in her belly.” she smiled.

“Really! Wow! I’m going to have a baby!” Gloria squealed.

“Well, we’re all going to have a new baby around. But yes, you’re going to have a new baby sibling.” Anwyn corrected as she hugged Gloria.

3wRltAp.png

~*~

A few months later, it was a day between school sessions, and Anwyn was at home with Liam and Gloria.

“Oof, Kicking is not allowed, squirt! Take it easy.” Anwyn soothed.

sAAmjq0.png

“What’s that?” Liam asked, looking at her concerned. “Are you in pain?”

“You try having your insides kicked by your insides. Here, I think you can feel it.” She put Liam’s hands on her bump and smiled as his eyes lit up.

7if7Alm.png

“That’s- that’s fascinating. It’s one thing to see you get bigger and bigger- in the best way, believe me, you’re still stunning- but it’s another thing to feel the movement. That’s our child in there!” he exclaimed.

She smiled, and Liam eventually dropped his hands.

v2B68l3.png

Gloria was working on a school project that Anwyn had assigned to the class, but Anwyn wanted to allow Gloria to feel the baby moving too.

MDJ0WYQ.png

“And that’s going to be my sibling?” she asked, looking up at her mom.

“Yep. All wiggly and pink!” she laughed.

“Wow. Is it a boy or a girl?” Gloria asked.

“We don’t know, silly. We have to find out when the time comes.”

~*~

I45G5pR.png

“Gloria! Ben! Stop running in the house!” hollered Lara as the four children played, making their way outside. “I swear, having twins was hard enough, I’m just happy I don’t have to look after all four of them at one time. I can’t imagine how you manage it, all those kids to look after.”

yv2bPuP.png

Anwyn grabbed a plate to clean. “They raise themselves, if there’s a problem I’ll step in. I can still observe them, but they play nicely most of the time. And I don’t have to raise them, that’s the parents’ job.”

She turned the water off and turned to Lara. “Something odd happened with Gloria the other day. She fell on the rocks, and she cried out for a minute, but then she was ok. She wasn’t even bruised. I saw it happen, I thought that I would have to ask the priestesses for a salve and bandage but- there was nothing to fix.”

“That’s odd,” she thought for a minute. “Kids are pretty resilient, maybe it wasn’t as bad as it looked? And you know Gloria, she’s not one to cry much. Fight first, cry later. She gets that from her folks.” Lara nudged.

gCl4GW8.png

Anwyn smiled. “I can only hope that she gets the bravery of her father, but not the danger. I would die, Lara. I don’t think my heart could take it.” she gave a hesitant smile.

IhNtVJR.png

“Gloria will live a long, happy, healthy, and safe life here. You don’t need to worry so hard.”

hx9RtP8.png

Gloria was busy working on her latest sand sculpture on the beach down by the water with Mara, when Ben came and destroyed it, laughing as he did so. Gloria gave him a piece of her mind.

RwWD5V1.png

“Ben! What’s wrong with your head that you would do that? I was working hard on that, and you thought you’d be able to just come over here and go boom!? You’re going to pay for that!” she yelled, and suddenly Ben’s shoes weren’t on his feet. He looked down at his feet, perplexed, and the rest of the group did too, the anger gone instantly.

F1EpJ23.png

“You- where did my shoes go?” he asked, not expecting an answer.

“I… I have no idea…” Gloria answered, her eyebrows knitting together. “You’re sure you had them? Didn’t you lose your shoes last week in the ocean?”

eNeW3mT.png

“I got them back! I just had them! Where did they go? How did you get them off my feet?” he asked.

“Me? Why are you blaming me? I didn’t do it!” Gloria said.

“Remember last week when we wanted to steal Chelsea’s quill and it suddenly ended up in your hand? As if by magic? Where did you ‘magic’ my shoes?” he demanded to know.

“I- I wasn’t thinking about your shoes! I was just thinking about how I was angry at you, that’s all! And how I kinda wanted to stomp on your toes.” she said honestly.

“Well magic them back!” he ordered.

Cfqj1Lg.png

“I- what’s in it for me if I do? I’m still mad at you, you ruined my work!” Gloria said.

“I- I’ll let you take home Mr. Snuggs. For a week.” he said, saddened by the thought. Mr. Snuggs was his stuffed animal that he held at night. He kept saying that he was a bit young to have a security animal everynight, but he still loved the thing. To part with it was no small thing.

Gloria’s eyes grew large and she considered the offer. “Alright, I’ll try and get your shoes back.” she said with an annoyed scowl. She thought about his shoes being in her hand, pictured them, and then there they were, one in each hand.

Benjamin snatched them back, then ran back to the house. “Mom! Mom! Gloria stole my shoes with magic!” he tattled.

f8Ktgpa.png

Gloria rolled her eyes at her two other cousins, and then slowly followed after him. There was going to be a million questions that she didn’t have any answers to.

Her mother came out of the house along with her dad and Aunt Lara. Her grandma was a bit slower coming out, and out of all the adults there she seemed to be the least bothered.

8HOYUFT.png

“What’s going on? Are you guys being nice? What’s this about stealing shoes?” Anwyn asked.

“Gloria stole my shoes with magic and then she gave them back, but I had to say I’d let her have Mr. Snuggs to get them back!” Ben complained.

R46shMz.png

“What!? No! He wrecked my sand sculpture! That’s why I was angry! I didn’t mean to take his shoes, it was an accident! He offered Mr. Snuggs as payment for messing up my sand!” Gloria complained.

“Whoa, whoa, I don’t think that the thing we’re all wondering about is the fight, what’s this about magic?” Liam asked.

jmVUhxk.png

“I… I can magic things. Last week I took a quill from- across the room,” she covered. “And I just now took Ben’s shoes and got them back. I don’t know how to control it, it just happens!”

CMxNSaL.png

Anwyn looked at Liam. “I think we need to make an appointment with the sisters on the hill. This sounds like something they would know about.”

“Agreed. Gloria, how about you don’t magic anything else for today, we’ll talk to Midshore and Everstar tomorrow.”

“Oh, ok.” she said, then followed the adults back into the house, feeling like a dog with its tail between its legs.

[/b]~*~[/b]

That night the moon was out in its full glory, but Gloria still felt like she was in trouble, so she didn’t stay up late as she had planned. Instead, she climbed into bed and fell asleep, but it wasn’t easy. She hadn’t thought of why she had been able to summon Chelsea’s quill, she just suddenly had it. She hadn’t even focused on Benjamin’s shoes, they had just disappeared and reappeared. What if she did that to her own toys and couldn’t get them back. What about her parents? The idea scared her and she got out of bed and rushed into her parents room, needing to be consoled.

“I- I was thinking about what if you guys suddenly disappeared and I couldn’t get you back? I would be stuck here, little brother or sister would be gone, I’m scared.” she gushed.

“You don’t have to be scared, we’re not going anywhere. None of us are going to leave any of us, we’re together for the long run. Don’t worry about it, hun. Come on, let’s get you nice and warm in bed. You’ll feel better that way.” Anwyn comforted.

Together they walked back to Gloria’s room, and Anwyn tucked her in. “Sleep well, baby. We’re nearby.”

“Will you stay?” she asked her mom. “Would you sleep on the bench like you used to when I was little?”

Anwyn remembered fondly of when Romeo had slept on the two seater when Gloria was an infant and didn’t want to wake Anwyn on a night that she had off of baby watch. However, she hadn’t been pregnant at the time and now the idea of sleeping anywhere but in her bed made her uncomfortable.

“I wish I could, but I don’t think that I would be very comfy. But you know where we are if you need us. Or just to peak to make sure we’re still there.” she smiled.

“Ok.” she said, trying to be brave. Her mom closed the door on her way out and Gloria was left with the glow of the moon. Her lovely moon. She felt anchored when she saw it in the sky, and it comforted her as she fell asleep.

Just as her eyes shut for the final time, she opened them to a world full of a purple sky and floating rocks.

Kypv3FM.png

What a weird dream… she thought as she sat up from her bed. It felt so real, but still had the feeling of a dream. No sky could look like this, and she didn’t own this dress. This wasn’t even her bed, this all felt very strange.

ElXZEcp.png

iwrTPpX.png

Gloria looked around her environment. There was a greenhouse just like the one the priestesses lived under, but this one was in good condition.

gMsxt6Y.png

She also noticed that she wasn’t alone. There was a dark haired boy on the other side of the greenhouse, mirror image of her, similarly dressed in white. He looked equally confused and mystified by his surroundings when he met Gloria’s eyes.

Who was this dream boy? What sort of a character was he? And why could she see his face? He wasn’t someone she knew, he certainly didn’t go to school with her, and Gloria had heard that it was impossible for the brain to conjure faces that it hadn’t seen before in dreams. So why did she see his face?

h8NUbzG.png

She opened the door to the greenhouse, filled with oddities and lights. He did the same on his side, and now they were a few paces from each other.

“Hi, who’re you?” Gloria asked the boy.

QGcob2P.png

“My name is Seneca.” he said with a chirruping accent. “Do you know what this place is? I’ve never seen it before.”

wZIM1WN.png

“I’ve never been here either.” Gloria started looking around at the things in the small building. “I wonder what sort of person would collect things like these. I hope we aren’t chased out of here by an angry old woman in a few minutes. That would be terrifying.”

She turned to look back at the boy, but he was gone. “Seneca?” she asked, but there was no response.

DqnYhTI.png

It wasn’t unusual for dreams to not make sense, and she turned back to looking around. As she did, she very vaguely picked up her name in the air, as if someone was saying her name over and over, and suddenly she felt very dizzy.

This was a very strange dream to be sure, and when Gloria woke up she still felt a bit dizzy, but rested. She looked up at the sky above her, but when she did her head swam and she decided that she should probably look at solid lines for a while to help combat the swirling that had been her dream.

~*~

MWF28uk.png

He woke up with a sweat and a terrible headache that felt like an anchor holding him down. It was still night, and he felt like he was ill with a disease. He moved his legs to the side of the bed, still able to remember the name of the girl he had met. He hadn’t seen her for long, just a sparkling image of a red haired apparition. Her name had been Gloria. He felt like he had to remember it, though he wasn’t sure why.

xdUODo4.png

Instead, he wandered out into the night and was sick in the bushes.

A few new faces! I will be very surprised if anyone guesses who the boy is, and I'd be interested to hear your theories. Obviously, I will neither confirm or deny your suspicions, But fire away any way.

I had the hardest time figuring out how I wasn't going to have spell-casters in the background of my dreamworld! First I just thought about finding the right lot, then the people started filling in, and a wall would block out the sky and make the world feel restrictive, so I thought, I'll do like I do in Minecraft, just build it above the ground so that the other people can't easily get to it. But then the plants and things weren't going to be right, and it seemed like more of a hassle than it was worth. I ended up just making a room in the basement and teleporting any sims that made an appearance in there. They'll get out when I leave the world. Works like a ... charm.

Oh! here's a picture of all the Cupshire children.

From left to right: The father I can't remember the name of, Alondra Cupshire, Dante, Lara, Anwyn, Sophia, Joseph, and Benjamin.

QCTwUPD.png
    jzZP0sJ.png
    edited April 2020
    Here's a song that I found that I used to inspire me on the boy after he awakes from his dream. There's something about Hozier, I don't think he's put out a happy song, they're all complex and have deeper, darker meanings, I would love a happy song from him!

Either way, here's a song that I picked for my new playlist. It's relevant up until "I prayed my mind be good to me", but the rest of the song's tone is reflective as well, though I'm not going to explain why, that would be SPOILERS.

Edit: by "the rest of the song", I mean the whole of the song, and I'm referring more to the tone of the song than the words.

tenor.gif?itemid=4801626
    Post edited by Irishsong on
    jzZP0sJ.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top