Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUG- Bees permanently irritated & nothing seems to soothe them

SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
I have the Burtie's Bees boxes and maxed out my relationship via bonding with them. My first box was calm until they got mites. I treated the mites & they were calm again but then for no reason they became irritated. They are stuck on irritated and no matter what I do (I keep trying to bond with them) they do not go back to calm. Is there a cheat code or something that can set them to calm?

I garden for food/herbs but haven't done any flower arranging. I saw someone talking about flower arranging doing something to soothe them, but I have no idea how.

Please help!

Edit: Extra details- my bees are sheltered in a greenhouse. There is no option to remove mites anymore but they keep getting more irritated and got enraged for no reason. I placed crocus-scented plants and even perfect crocus plants directly next to the hive to no avail. My only guess now is that it's a bug. Maybe the game thinks they have mites.
Post edited by Suceress on

Comments

• awellenblawellenbl Posts: 2,970 Member
    Crocus-scented flowers calm the bees. I've forgotten what level let's you scent the arrangements with them. Any arrangement will do as long as you scent it with crocus and you need the actual crocus flower in your inventory, can't buy them from the flower arranging bench for scenting. They are however usually in one of the seasonal seed packs.

When you have a crocus-scented flower arrangement you need to put it down close to the bees and they will calm down for at least as long as the arrangement is not wilted.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    edited March 2020
    The scented flower arrangement is really the best way to keep bees calm. I also read that music helps, but it didn't do a thing for the bees in my game. Just wondering though, is the weather in your game currently hot or cold (not warm or cool)? I have noticed that bees don't like that, sometimes even when they are kept in the greenhouse and they got better after I turned on the thermostat.

Edit to add: If it is a temperature problem and you keep your bees outside, you can move the box against one of the walls of the house and extend the roof just a bit. The box should still be affected by the thermostat setting that way.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • simgirl542simgirl542 Posts: 1,071 Member
    This has been happening in my game recently. I use the crocus scented flower trick, but when they die all bets are off. My garden is outside in a covered two-story tall, (for the height of the trees), greenhouse with no sides. They're either irritated or enraged all the time no matter whether it's spring, summer, or fall.
    I think there's one that keeps plants around longer but I don't remember which one.

I got tired of my sim getting stung all the time, (Lucky there's no "Death by Bee Sting" or all of my sims would be orphans-Don't get any ideas now), and had him build a sim bot (I have University) and now the only one that gardens, cooks, and tends to the youngsters is the bot. The baby's mom is a student and works so she's always doing homework and they needed help.

As for the music helping them, I'm not sure about that one.

I'm going to try putting a thermostat on an outside wall Then I'll try lowering the outer fencing and see if either of those make a difference. . If not, then I'll have to do without the bees yet again.
    Celebrating 11 years on this forum. Simming proudly since 2001.
  • SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I forgot to mention that my bees are inside a completely enclosed greenhouse. There is no thermostat, but I suppose I could add one. All of the plants inside say they are "sheltered".

I'll have to play around with flower arrangements at some point. I was lazy and used the Gallery go download a room with a perfect crocus plant to place in my greenhouse to be able to get the crocus flowers. (A tip I picked up from another thread about bees-- I wanted to thank them but I couldn't reply without necroposting).

I hadn't planned on having my Sim do flower arranging as it doesn't go with the story & it takes a lot of time working on his career as a scientist. I did an earlier build where I used cheat codes to max his career, but I felt like I missed out on some of the gameplay of building up the career so I used an earlier saved version to start over again. I'm still trying to figure out how to save his home lot to my gallery without saving the sim along with it. Despite having had the game for several years, I haven't played much because real life stuff has been occupying my time.

I had two irritated hives for awhile, but the 2nd one calmed down after "bond with bees" interaction. The oldest beehive seems to be the one that stays perpetually irritated. I wonder if they don't like one of the plants nearby? Maybe my tentacle plant bothers them since it's from an alien world? I tried moving it away for awhile and bonding with bees but it didn't seem to remove the "irritated" buff so I put it back. You'd think there would be some sort of indicator that it irritates bees if that was the case though. The bees pollinate it without a problem.

I'm also wondering if there is some item, mod, or cheat I can use to prevent my bees from getting mites.

As an aside, if I add an extra floor to my greenhouse just to make the roof higher & had all windows on the sides on the upper floor, will it still function as a greenhouse? Or should I just make the walls taller for my trees?
  • akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    I planted crocus plants all around my bee box, it worked for me.
    @akaniki0, I tried that & it didn't work. I put crocus plants and a flower arrangement of crocus scented bluebells. My only guess at this point is that the game is bugged and thinks my bees have mites. At one point they became enraged & attacked my Sim. Bonding with them soothed them back to irritated, but they won't get above that mode & there is no option to treat for mites available.
    Only options upon Shift-click are "Set as Head" (no idea what that does) and "Reset Object (DEBUG)". I will probably have to do the latter to see if it fixes it.
    Cute cat in your avatar. I love kitties.
    Update: The Reset Object (DEBUG) option worked to set them back to calm but still maintained my Sim's relationship with the bees.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    Just as an FYI, "Set as head" does exactly that. It sets the object as the head of your Sim. It looks funny, but the only real purpose I can think of is to "drop" the item in an area that you can't edit otherwise. You can get rid of it by resetting the Sim, I believe, but I wouldn't recommend messing with it if this save is important to you and you already suspect the beehive might be bugged.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    With the Reset Object did they stay calm or get irritated again?
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
    Just as an FYI, "Set as head" does exactly that. It sets the object as the head of your Sim. It looks funny, but the only real purpose I can think of is to "drop" the item in an area that you can't edit otherwise. You can get rid of it by resetting the Sim, I believe, but I wouldn't recommend messing with it if this save is important to you and you already suspect the beehive might be bugged.

Thanks! What a weird option. LOL.
    joRN1414 wrote: »
    With the Reset Object did they stay calm or get irritated again?
    Thus far they have remained calm. I will report back if they get irritated again.
    I hope there will be an object in the future to prevent mites from infesting the bees to begin with.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Maybe you empty the bee box too often and it's always empty and the bees have no food. I have grumpy bees too and I try to take honey only when the box is full.
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Maybe you empty the bee box too often and it's always empty and the bees have no food. I have grumpy bees too and I try to take honey only when the box is full.
    Nope. The bee box was "partially full" when the bees got irritated. I even let it get to full & they were still irritated. I think what happened was the game still thought they had mites but the interaction to kill the mites was not there.
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    A few of my households have the bees and no matter where they are, inside, outside, (and one household even has that flower calming thing) once they get to enraged there is no way to calm them down except maybe to irritated and that is not enough. I always have to reset the little blighters.
    Sounds like it's not just me then. Probably some sort of bug.
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    When that happens you need to reset the beehive. That has happened to me a few times but my sims usually keep their beehive out on the balcony because they live in an apartment.

@Netzspannung Setting it as head when they are irritated would be an interesting idea. The sting dance. xD
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• MarmaladeJadeMarmaladeJade Posts: 108 Member
    @BMSO That's a sick plan. I'll try in on my daughter's save. It will teach her not to troll her mom (My sister and daughter made a sim family named Maxie Phad and Lily Phad respectively).
    PriestessAvenara made some perfect quality crocus plants as well as some perfect quality bluebells scented with crocus. I downloaded them via the gallery & replace them whenever they go bad.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Want to calm them down? Bonding, bonding and more bonding!
    calaprfy wrote: »
    Want to calm them down? Bonding, bonding and more bonding!
    I did that. I did the bonding over and over and over for several sim hours but nothing changed. I had to use the debug reset.
  • Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    I got tired of calming down bees, so I stopped collecting honey and swarms. So far, they've stayed calm for at least 4 weeks except when they had mites, and that was easy to fix. I got them mostly to help the plants evolve, so I don't mind going without the honey and swarms. It's a lot better than getting stung every day or spending hours on bonding.
    Sketch793 wrote: »
    I got tired of calming down bees, so I stopped collecting honey and swarms. So far, they've stayed calm for at least 4 weeks except when they had mites, and that was easy to fix. I got them mostly to help the plants evolve, so I don't mind going without the honey and swarms. It's a lot better than getting stung every day or spending hours on bonding.

Once you bond with them and max the level out, it seems to stay maxed. I highly recommend getting the Perfect Crocus scented Bluebell flower arrangement by PriestessAvenara from the Gallery. you can place it outside like a room, grab the flower arrangement, and set one next to each hive. Bees stay calm unless they get mites. Treat the mites & they are back to calm again. They do have to be replaced every few days though. I wish there was a way to make it so flower arrangements never wither. I'm not sure if having just the crocus plant nearby will help. I have crocus plants and the flower arrangements just to be safe. My Sim hasn't been stung since placing those.