Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge

Comments

• lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    @lisabee2 I have a few ideas you could use (or not)! You know how you (and I) usually just write/share one post at the end of the month saying something like: "Here are the stories submitted for this month - please vote!"

I think that's great, but what about sharing the link to each writer's story individually on Twitter/other places as soon the writer shares it here, sharing a sneak peek if you will (with one image from the story)? It could be something like: "In @divanthesimmer's entry for the Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge this month, the main character, Veronica, and her young son Gabe, arrives on a secret island! Who will they meet there and is there hope for this struggling family or are they doomed for good? Find out by clicking the link below!"

I realized that even though I post the link to my story on Twitter and Tumblr, it doesn't really give anyone a good idea of what it is they'll be reading (Tumblr shares a bit of the post at least, but Twitter only shows one image and the title of the story), so the idea mentioned above could be a good way to attract readers.

You could also ask the other EA Game Changers who post YouTube videos to promote the challenge through their videos (though I don't know if they'd be interested in the slightest).

We could also create a Discord channel where we post updates, like when someone finished their story and when it's time to vote. We could invite everyone in the SimLit community by posting the invite on the SimLit threads everywhere on the forums and it's up to them whether they want to be a part of that or not, but it's one way to capture everyone's attention!

Well, all that sounds great ... and they are great ideas ... if I had another me I might be able to do it. I am already only getting one or two of my own stories out a month .. I have not been in to pay the game in about 3 or 4 weeks. I run a few FB groups and that is where I heavily advertise. My personal group has about 19K (we gained 2.6 k members last month - had 4.4K apply .. the chat runs 173K Posts comments and reactions in 28 days - the workload is insane) .. that is just one of them and one I inherited has 15.5K then I help with 4 others .. 29.7K and the rest are smaller running 1 to 2K It is a crazy amount of work and I have so much already on my plate (from writing articles to helping with the DNA team - which I suck at because I never have time to being in a massive build collab). I just do not have more to give.

I will gladly retweet any I see on twitter but I cannot be solely responsible for implementing and carrying out new promo. I need to get back to my story and get readers back on board .. when I lost them we lose lots of challenge readers too.

As for other game changers .. they all have the same woes as we have .. keeping old viewers/readers and finding new ones. We do have one GC who helps promo (along with many other challenges) .. withloveJulien but she has not done her March blog yet
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
  • divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    edited March 2020
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    @lisabee2 I have a few ideas you could use (or not)! You know how you (and I) usually just write/share one post at the end of the month saying something like: "Here are the stories submitted for this month - please vote!"

I think that's great, but what about sharing the link to each writer's story individually on Twitter/other places as soon the writer shares it here, sharing a sneak peek if you will (with one image from the story)? It could be something like: "In @divanthesimmer's entry for the Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge this month, the main character, Veronica, and her young son Gabe, arrives on a secret island! Who will they meet there and is there hope for this struggling family or are they doomed for good? Find out by clicking the link below!"

I realized that even though I post the link to my story on Twitter and Tumblr, it doesn't really give anyone a good idea of what it is they'll be reading (Tumblr shares a bit of the post at least, but Twitter only shows one image and the title of the story), so the idea mentioned above could be a good way to attract readers.

You could also ask the other EA Game Changers who post YouTube videos to promote the challenge through their videos (though I don't know if they'd be interested in the slightest).

We could also create a Discord channel where we post updates, like when someone finished their story and when it's time to vote. We could invite everyone in the SimLit community by posting the invite on the SimLit threads everywhere on the forums and it's up to them whether they want to be a part of that or not, but it's one way to capture everyone's attention!

Well, all that sounds great ... and they are great ideas ... if I had another me I might be able to do it. I am already only getting one or two of my own stories out a month .. I have not been in to pay the game in about 3 or 4 weeks. I run a few FB groups and that is where I heavily advertise. My personal group has about 19K (we gained 2.6 k members last month - had 4.4K apply .. the chat runs 173K Posts comments and reactions in 28 days - the workload is insane) .. that is just one of them and one I inherited has 15.5K then I help with 4 others .. 29.7K and the rest are smaller running 1 to 2K It is a crazy amount of work and I have so much already on my plate (from writing articles to helping with the DNA team - which I suck at because I never have time to being in a massive build collab). I just do not have more to give.

I will gladly retweet any I see on twitter but I cannot be solely responsible for implementing and carrying out new promo. I need to get back to my story and get readers back on board .. when I lost them we lose lots of challenge readers too.

As for other game changers .. they all have the same woes as we have .. keeping old viewers/readers and finding new ones. We do have one GC who helps promo (along with many other challenges) .. withloveJulien but she has not done her March blog yet

I hear you. I could help with that! I can do the social media promo and create the Discord channel, if that's okay with you. I'm thinking of creating a Twitter, Tumblr and Instagram account for the challenge as well. I might be setting myself up for failure, but it's worth a try! Who knows? Maybe this could be the big breakthrough the challenge needs! :)
    Post edited by divanthesimmer on
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
    edited March 2020
    @lisabee2 I have created the Discord server so long. You can take a look at it and let me know if you approve - I will also make you Admin. If you don't like or approve it, I will gladly delete it.

Here's the link to the server:

https://discord.gg/FGsdnNG
    phULnBI.png
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    @lisabee2 I have created the Discord server so long. You can take a look at it and let me know if you approve - I will also make you Admin. If you don't like or approve it, I will gladly delete it.

The discord is awesome! You set it up really well!

@lisabee2 I love your response to our posts of encouragement! Really, the best we can offer is to continue to be a friendly, supportive, inclusive, welcoming community for ourselves so that we are here to welcome any newcomers who find us!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    CathyTea wrote: »

The discord is awesome! You set it up really well!

@lisabee2 I love your response to our posts of encouragement! Really, the best we can offer is to continue to be a friendly, supportive, inclusive, welcoming community for ourselves so that we are here to welcome any newcomers who find us!

Thank you, Cathy! I'm so glad to hear that!

Totally agree on that last part. I hope we see more novices entering soon!
    phULnBI.png
  • breckenridgebreckenridge Posts: 44 Member
    I do intend to finish my saga, but it may take a few weeks as the coronavirus has really been slamming us here in the US. We're practically on lockdown, grocery stores are crazy and all that good stuff. And my job is paradoxically very busy as we're dealing with all this stuff. Just waiting for things to settle down like everyone else! I do want to give a satisfying conclusion etc.
    My newest chapter-based simlit: Cutback.”
  • Aristarchus310Aristarchus310 Posts: 16 Member
    Hopping on the bandwagon a few months late, but I look forward to participating!
  • lillibattenberglillibattenberg Posts: 1,279 Member
    Hopping on the bandwagon a few months late, but I look forward to participating!

Yay! Glad to have you on board :)
    Jacob_Banner.png

Hey! Looking forward to your story and welcome to the forums!
    phULnBI.png
  • MenaBuchnerMenaBuchner Posts: 179 Member
    edited March 2020
    Valley of Angels Part 3 has been posted.

https://t.co/WhEsNmd5aF?amp=1
  • Qnshr5Qnshr5 Posts: 463 Member
    @MenaBuchner Hi, I was wanting to use Lily as my supporting character in my 3rd part, but I don't see her in the gallery. Can I have the link to her?
    7YZVoCi.png
    Qnshr5 wrote: »
    @MenaBuchner Hi, I was wanting to use Lily as my supporting character in my 3rd part, but I don't see her in the gallery. Can I have the link to her?

Hello! That would be an honor! Lily and Rosemary are already on the gallery, you need to select ‘with custom content’ as their makeup and hair are CC. I also have a small list of their CC used, on my blog for anyone wanting to use them.
    Let me know if you have any trouble finding them and I’ll send you the links. 😊
    @MenaBuchner Thank you! Clicking CC did the trick. I've downloaded and will refer to your blog for CC needed. Thanks again! :smiley:
    7YZVoCi.png
    Qnshr5 wrote: »
    @MenaBuchner Thank you! Clicking CC did the trick. I've downloaded and will refer to your blog for CC needed. Thanks again! :smiley:

Most welcome! I can't wait to read this chapter! ☺
  • MinraedMinraed Posts: 1,159 Member
    Hey everyone. I have been hiding out in my real-life life, but needed a break from that, even though much of the same is happening here. I hope all are well and safe. I have not been up for much, but I hoped that switching over to my Minraed persona make spark some creativity in me at least.

I look forward to reading later submissions, and re-reviewing the others for voting.

@divanthesimmer thanks for taking the time to set up Discord. I am signed up, and will take some time to learn about it and how to use over the next couple of days.
    [img][/img] Visit Simaginarium
    edited March 2020
    Michelle's story gets a happy ending in Part 3: Lucian!
    Jacob_Banner.png
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    Really pushing it to the last second, but here's my entry, Dawn and the Late Confession:

http://www.fanfiction.katrinasforest.com/2020/03/31/dawn-and-the-confession/

Maybe I shouldn't have named it that. ^_^;;
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.

Divan that is a sweet idea .. I will come by and join <3
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    I am sorry to have been out of it this month .. my FB group has slipped off into insanity. I am in there almost all the time. I barely had time to get my short story done .. I thought I might miss it but I stayed up til 3 am to finish it last night .. if it slides a bit downhill towards the end you will know why LOL
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    March is closed
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    So sleepy but wanted to get this out to you right away.

Monthly Simlit Short Story Challenge April 2020 Theme & March 2020 Submissions
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    Dangit, is it alright if I edit a bit of mine? My tense is slipping.
    Jacob_Banner.png
    YEP you may!
    Dangit, is it alright if I edit a bit of mine? My tense is slipping.

SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger