Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fun - Is The Fun Need Fundamentally Broken?

Comments

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    HannaZoja wrote: »
    They are constantly playing PC games. It is horrible. If they are not playing games, they are using their phones.

This has more to do with autonomy. There are several ways to have fun in the game as people has been stating above. Autonomy should be in line with traits and their specific way of having fun.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    The fact that painting doesn't usually generate fun (I think Art Lover sims get fun from it, but no one else does) is solid proof that fun is at least a little broken. Like, shouldn't writing fiction generate fun too, at least temporarily? I certainly have fun when I paint or write fiction in real life, so why is it a drain on fun for our sims?

Actually look at it this way. You like painting and writing fiction, so yes! That is fun for you. But someone who is not interested in it, or even hates it, doing it is not fun. It's draining. The same for cooking. Some love cooking, so it's fun! Some people do it because it's necessary, a chore, others hate cooking. Some people love math, so it's fun! Some do it as a neutral necessary thing, some people hate math!

What I'm getting at is that one thing that is fun for you, or me, may not be for someone else. Or something that is fun some people, may not be fun for you or me. ;)

But, if you have a sim with the Creative trait, shouldn't painting and writing both generate fun, even if it's at a slow rate? And shouldn't Genius sims get a little fun when they write a mystery novel (after all, you're writing a slowly unraveling puzzle that the reader is often trying to solve as they read, and people with very active and intellectual minds often enjoy both solving and constructing puzzles and riddles)? And shouldn't exercise of all kinds automatically be fun for Active sims, not just sims with the Gym Rat reward trait, while inactive activities like watching T.V. and playing video games fills their fun more slowly while filling the fun of Lazy sims more quickly? See how broken that is?

Most fun generating and fun draining activities are universal, with little consideration given to traits. You can always fill every sim's fun easily and quickly with video games. All but Art Lover sims lose fun from painting (even those with the Creative trait). Foodie sims don't get fun from cooking. Active sims need a reward trait for exercise to generate fun for them. It's as if the "fun" and "un-fun" activities have been built around one person's idea of fun, instead of being personalized to individual sims based on their trait profile. It's just one of the things that contributes to the feeling that our sims lack any real individuality.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    I don't think that the Fun need is broken.

If a Sim comes home from work or school with Fun and Hunger low then I have them either get leftovers from the fridge or cook something fast and then I have them watch the Action channel on television.

If a Sim comes home with Fun and Social low then I have them use a microphone to tell jokes which boosts both needs at the same time.

My Sims with the Creative trait do have fun painting and they do it often when an easel is available. However, it goes up slower than watching the Action channel or using a microphone, just as the Social need goes up slower when they talk to a plant. My Sims with the Genius trait have a tiny bit of fun while playing chess but seem to have more fun painting mathematical diagrams.

The object that I keep out of everyone's inventory is the violin. Once a Sim gets Violin to level 3 or 4 they become addicted. In fact, they won't stop playing the violin even when their other needs are failing. Fun is the only motive maxed. The only thing that makes then stop is when they have to leave for work or school or, of course, when I make them stop.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    edited March 2020
    Well said. It's interesting to see how others perceive things happening in the game. :)

I haven't seen a problem with the fun based on traits in my game. Maybe it's a mod that fixed it? Hmm. For example a 'neat' sim gets fun going up from cleaning. I did have a sim actually have fun go down from watching TV just yesterday, then got the bored moodlet. Heh! While another sim's fun went up watching the same thing on TV. I'd have to check on their traits.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

Monaveil wrote: »
    I don't think that the Fun need is broken.

If a Sim comes home from work or school with Fun and Hunger low then I have them either get leftovers from the fridge or cook something fast and then I have them watch the Action channel on television.

If a Sim comes home with Fun and Social low then I have them use a microphone to tell jokes which boosts both needs at the same time.

My Sims with the Creative trait do have fun painting and they do it often when an easel is available. However, it goes up slower than watching the Action channel or using a microphone, just as the Social need goes up slower when they talk to a plant. My Sims with the Genius trait have a tiny bit of fun while playing chess but seem to have more fun painting mathematical diagrams.

The object that I keep out of everyone's inventory is the violin. Once a Sim gets Violin to level 3 or 4 they become addicted. In fact, they won't stop playing the violin even when their other needs are failing. Fun is the only motive maxed. The only thing that makes then stop is when they have to leave for work or school or, of course, when I make them stop.

I don't know. Last time I had a Creative sim painting, they were still losing fun doing it. Maybe they re-tuned it since then, because that's not how I remember it going. But, your post also demonstrated that the fun need is still very generic in its tuning in a lot of areas. On the one hand, the genericness makes caring for every sim's needs easier...but it (along with sim AI that always pushes sims toward the activity that fills a need the quickest, not the activity that fits their traits the closest) also reduces their individuality.
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    @SimsLovinLycan I think maybe the term "fun" is not entirely clear either. It could be broken down into "doing something you enjoy" which may tier you out and you need a break; "relaxation" which is not necessarily "fun" always; "entertainment" which could also be called "distraction". Hmm...
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I have no issues with the Fun need. Just keep track of that particular Sims perks and it works just fine.

The fun need has absolutely nothing to do with what you, the player, would consider fun and everything with what the Sims personality dictates.

If that was true, my sims should not require any electronic devices to fill the fun meter.

They don't.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I have no issues with the Fun need. Just keep track of that particular Sims perks and it works just fine.

The fun need has absolutely nothing to do with what you, the player, would consider fun and everything with what the Sims personality dictates.

If that was true, my sims should not require any electronic devices to fill the fun meter.

They don't.

That is what sims are drawn toward, so they do need it. I can have a book case, easel, etc. I don't put a computer, tv, or radio on the lot and all the sims immediately go to their phone to play a game. So providing non-electronic fun items DOES NOT prevent them from being drawn to electronics for fun. That is why I believe it is broken.

They don't.

That is what sims are drawn toward, so they do need it. I can have a book case, easel, etc. I don't put a computer, tv, or radio on the lot and all the sims immediately go to their phone to play a game. So providing non-electronic fun items DOES NOT prevent them from being drawn to electronics for fun. That is why I believe it is broken.

How unrealistic is it tho? How many of your friends, or random strangers on the street, would honestly say they find reading a magazine as fun as binging Netflix? The entertainment of today exists for a reason. All the way from the invention of cave paintings to Netflix, each iteration has been successful because it is more fun and offers more variety than the thing before it.

Seriously, that is not broken, that is 100% realistic.
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member

They don't.

How unrealistic is it tho? How many of your friends, or random strangers on the street, would honestly say they find reading a magazine as fun as binging Netflix? The entertainment of today exists for a reason. All the way from the invention of cave paintings to Netflix, each iteration has been successful because it is more fun and offers more variety than the thing before it.

That's a fair point. But even electronic activities get boring after a while irl; maybe there should be a chance for Sims to get a Bored moodlet from the phone or computer (I know they can get bored from tv but not sure about the phone or computer actually, that's how little I have my Sims interact with them).
    edited March 2020
    It is funny, and I suppose from my own observations true. I have a friend (more of an acquaintance) who likes watching sports. Turns on the big TV in the living room, then ends up watching it on his phone instead, the exact same channel, while the TV is still on. :D

He's farsighted too, so has to put on glasses to watch it on his phone.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

They don't.

I would say it is realistic to not need electronic devices for fun. It should not be the first "go-to" and sims should not be drawn toward a computer, tv, or radio. But I do know that the game devs live in the silicon valley bubble, so that may be their norm.
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    I feel like dancing should bring more fun, cause that's the only purpose of it in the sims4.

They don't.

I would say it is realistic to not need electronic devices for fun. It should not be the first "go-to" and sims should not be drawn toward a computer, tv, or radio. But I do know that the game devs live in the silicon valley bubble, so that may be their norm.

True. Honestly, Bookworm sims should be drawn more to the bookshelf than the computer when their Fun need is low, while Creative sims should be drawn more toward easels and instruments, Genius toward the chess table, Foodies to the cooking channel on T.V., etc. I saw one video by a YouTuber who created three sims with different traits, then locked them in identical rooms with all the same items in them and put autonomy on...and they all acted the exact same way. It's almost as if the devs who programed traits and sim AI slept through their psychology class in college...
    5MNZlGQ.gif

They don't.

What bubble? I could just retype my post above. I don't know where you live, but don't they have TV in your country? I am not trying to be flippant, but seriously, your argument makes zero sense, it is just not based in reality.
    To argue that the reason why Sims prefer things like the stereo, TV, gaming console or computer for "fun-making" is because the devs "live in the Silicon Valley bubble" kind of means you are not aware that TVs have existed since the 40s and been mainstream since the moon landing. I had my first computer 1984.

And again, you claim the Sims "need" electronics for fun. That is simply not true. You are wrong. As have been proven to you.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited March 2020
    I think the fun should change depending on our sims traits. I hate that all my sims only get fun from playing games on the smartphone, computer or tv. Those are the only things I can do to make my sims fun go high quickly, everything else takes ages to go up.
    And I agree with @FanPhoria Tension doesn't relate to Fun at all. Tension is more a combo of things that can produce it, like lack of fun and social, or fun and sleep, or whatever. I think most emotions only come out depending on how many buffs could cause it. I think it should depende on the power of the buff or a combination of buffs, that would result in primary emotions that are the result of regular buffs or secondary emotions that are created by two powerful buffs fusing together. I don't know if I'm making myself clear. I'm kinda lazy to think right now, but someone will get what I'm saying hahahaha
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member

They don't.

What bubble? I could just retype my post above. I don't know where you live, but don't they have TV in your country? I am not trying to be flippant, but seriously, your argument makes zero sense, it is just not based in reality.
    To argue that the reason why Sims prefer things like the stereo, TV, gaming console or computer for "fun-making" is because the devs "live in the Silicon Valley bubble" kind of means you are not aware that TVs have existed since the 40s and been mainstream since the moon landing. I had my first computer 1984.

And again, you claim the Sims "need" electronics for fun. That is simply not true. You are wrong. As have been proven to you.

I haven't owned a tv in years, have no subscription to any tv online etc. The only reason I'm even on forums is because social anxiety means this is the only way I can bear to 'fill social need'. Not everyone is super into electronics. There's people who deliberately have no technology at all, (not me obviously).

I think it would be entirely reasonable for a sims goto for fun to depend on their traits. I have to use a mod to prevent my household that has no electronic items from playing with their phone. This is unrealistic to me. I own a phone, I haven't used it for anything other than responding to calls from my spouse for years.

I wouldn't say fun is broken, because sims can fill it in other ways than hopping on a computer or phone. I'd say traits are broken because they don't effect sims preferences enough in regards to autonomy.
    edited March 2020
    @Beardedgeek

The autonomy to fill the fun need is broken. That is why I require mods to fix it. Sims should not be drawn to electronic devices automatically to fill any needs, especially the fun need. It is realistic as I know many people who don't have social media and don't use their phone for anything but calling or answering the calls of others. According to the traits I give a majority of my sims, they should find fun in doing things that do not require a computer, phone, tv, radio, etc. My sims should never be drawn to use electronic devices first. Silicon valley is the tech bubble, so I predict that they programmed the sims to need tech so much. There is proof of that what a majority of the careers require going on a computer at some point. Then there is the ordering (online shopping) for items. Also the proof is in that every sim has a cellphone in their pocket from toddler (although limited) to elder.
    Beginning of the 20th century: Portable phones will never work! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoGAEf_ZWko

1960's Star Trek: *bloo-cl-cl-cl* "Scotty! Beam me up!"

1970's: The first phone call made on a handheld cellular phone was made on April 3, 1973.

;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

edited March 2020
    This computer would give me a 'tense' and 'annoyed' moodlet, almost as much as the talking back computer-phones of today. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDdxCHii_ZE
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

edited March 2020
    @Beardedgeek

The autonomy to fill the fun need is broken. That is why I require mods to fix it. Sims should not be drawn to electronic devices automatically to fill any needs, especially the fun need. It is realistic as I know many people who don't have social media and don't use their phone for anything but calling or answering the calls of others. According to the traits I give a majority of my sims, they should find fun in doing things that do not require a computer, phone, tv, radio, etc. My sims should never be drawn to use electronic devices first. Silicon valley is the tech bubble, so I predict that they programmed the sims to need tech so much. There is proof of that what a majority of the careers require going on a computer at some point. Then there is the ordering (online shopping) for items. Also the proof is in that every sim has a cellphone in their pocket from toddler (although limited) to elder.

I'm with you on that. I used to love how sims in TS2 (and to a lesser extent in TS3) would find fun in various means, which included TV and computers of course, but also playful sims and the bathtub, serious sims with the chess table and so forth. Then with 'freetime', they added their hobbies in that mix, which, again, could include electronics (Juliette Capp is mad with that), but not only. In TS3, they made a lot of sense with their traits; artists paint, bookworms read...
    In TS4, I'm sorry but seriously people... Your sims friends invite themselves on YOUR lot, and blitz to YOUR computer to raise their social... with the chat... also to play blickbloc.
    @Beardedgeek

The autonomy to fill the fun need is broken.

No, not really, no.

edited March 2020
    It is. They change activities three times in like 20 sim minutes. And should I mention that they autonomously interrupt a groupdance to watch the DJ? 4 times per groupdance. EACH groupdance.
    Not to mention that a groupdance is an user-directed action, and yet their autonomy for what they 'find fun' cancels this order.
  • Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    I feel a painter should enjoy creating art and fun levels should increase. Those sims who want to be chefs should have their fun increased while cooking , Those athletic sims should have their fun increased whild doing any kind of physical ativity where lazy sims shouldn't. It would be great if the sims traits and aspirtations would make this the driving force.
    Laugh out loud. Often
    edited March 2020
    @Beardedgeek

The autonomy to fill the fun need is broken.

No, not really, no.
    Oh, but it is broken and one of the many reasons the game requires mods to somewhat fix it. Try to play a game file in which you attempt to set up the game to be in the mid 1800's to very early 1900's. One rule is the phone (since forced in-game) is only to be used for travel or to invite a particular sim over. Btw, I have an entire save in which I fixed all the townies to match my vision. The game mechanics still "create" new townies that I must either fix or immediately delete as they don't match the storyline/challenge I am playing. Also as others mentioned the game mechanics have sims seem to interrupt player direction to non-electronic fun and make the sims automatically go to any type of electronics. I know in some of my "in this current age" save files this happens as well.