Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Quick Guide to SimLit - Sims Story FAQ

Comments

• EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    Is this the site that every month you get a title to write within 500 to 1500 words, Add at least one picture or more. or is this still available. Where do I find the topic to write for this month. I do not see any links to any stores that have been written.
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    @Evalen wrote: »
    Is this the site that every month you get a title to write within 500 to 1500 words, Add at least one picture or more. or is this still available. Where do I find the topic to write for this month. I do not see any links to any stores that have been written.

Here is a link to the short story challenge.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17153859/#Comment_17153859
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    AudreyFld wrote: »

@AudreyFld Thank you so much for the link, I put it in my favorites so I would not lose it. I might try it out starting next month. sounds like a lot of fun. do you write on it.
    AudreyFld wrote: »

@AudreyFld Thank you so much for the link, I put it in my favorites so I would not lose it. I might try it out starting next month. sounds like a lot of fun. do you write on it.
    Sadly I haven’t! I totally need to try. My story takes all of my spare time right now. But I should try to make time. Although, I do read all of the stories and they are so awesome. The good thing is they have two categories. One for a novice and one for experienced. So you don’t have to complete with those that have been doing this for a long time, so a little less intimidating for those that want to participate. Good luck! I know you’ll have fun writing the story and getting some sweet screen shots for it!
  • DionyzuzDionyzuz Posts: 17 Member
    I read the rules and I'm on course to become a member of the forum in order to be able to post. Quick question, and I dont know how to explained with out giving a link of the example story I want to post (when I become a member of course) but what would be your recomendation to be able to share this story in this forum?

this is the link to the story/comic
    www.tumblr.com/blog/pandoraxboxcreations
    Once you can create a post, then explain your story to get anyone that looks at it excited to read it. Then each time you have a new chapter post a link in your forum post. Then just keep updating your forum post. Tumblr probably isn’t the best way to do a story. You would probably be better off doing it on a blog like WordPress of Blogger instead. I’ve used both and I like Wordpress the best although tumblr might be easier to use, once you figure out WordPress it isn’t hard.
    I prefer using Tumblr over Wordpress. I once attempted to use Blogger, but it doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic. My Simblr currently has seven chapters, and the link is in my signature.

Thanks for another point of view!
  • NoWindowsNoWindows Posts: 162 Member
    Once I get full member rights, there's a story I wanna make for my legacy- only problem is, I only started fully screencapping it midway through generation 1. What do I do? Skip the images altogether for the part I failed to capture? Make a new file and go through the effort of recreating the important bits as best as I can? Just give up completely?
    Call me AC1. It won't let me change my name!

Read Watercolor Whimsy here!
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    NoWindows wrote: »
    Once I get full member rights, there's a story I wanna make for my legacy- only problem is, I only started fully screencapping it midway through generation 1. What do I do? Skip the images altogether for the part I failed to capture? Make a new file and go through the effort of recreating the important bits as best as I can? Just give up completely?

I decided to start sharming my gameplay when I discovered simlit. Which means my families were already well into generation one and one heir was a teen. So you could just start with where you are now like I did, or do whatever you think is best.
    image.png
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    Thank you for this Simlit thread. It is really helpful. I've been playing for years and only discovered Simlit today. I've read through several stories and they've inspired me to share my current 5th gen sim. Are there any restrictions for story genre? I've searched the rules and faqs but I can't find a thread about no mature/controversial themes etc. I want to make sure I'm not breaking any rules.
  • Orchidah1Orchidah1 Posts: 193 Member
    Hi, where do I go and what information do I give to have my story published? I'm a bit confused how the whole entry form works and there are so many different links like do I go to simlit, how does it all work. Please help me I'm very new at this, currently I'm setting up my new blog to be able to share my story here on the forum but have no idea where the best place will be where to have it posted. And are there any announcings for new writers?
  • Qnshr5Qnshr5 Posts: 459 Member
    JamieAKY wrote: »
    Thank you for this Simlit thread. It is really helpful. I've been playing for years and only discovered Simlit today. I've read through several stories and they've inspired me to share my current 5th gen sim. Are there any restrictions for story genre? I've searched the rules and faqs but I can't find a thread about no mature/controversial themes etc. I want to make sure I'm not breaking any rules.

Welcome to the Simlit community, JamieAKY. There aren't any restrictions for genre. Think of Simlit, like all literature, can be expressed through whatever genre you want to tell your story through. As far as mature themes go, that depends on where you're posting your story. If you post here on the Sims site, you'll want to be careful with mature themes. Whatever you post, Simlit included, must comply with site forum rules. So, be careful with how you present violence, sexual themes/descriptions, and profanity. Basically, think PG-13 (or it's equivalent) and lower for this site with the addition of forum rules. If you're posting on another hosting site like Wordpress or Blogger then you have more freedom in those areas. Good luck with your story!
    7YZVoCi.png
    Orchidah1 wrote: »
    Hi, where do I go and what information do I give to have my story published? I'm a bit confused how the whole entry form works and there are so many different links like do I go to simlit, how does it all work. Please help me I'm very new at this, currently I'm setting up my new blog to be able to share my story here on the forum but have no idea where the best place will be where to have it posted. And are there any announcings for new writers?

Hi Orchidah! This particular discussion is not a contest for Simlit. It is just a thread to explain it, to post questions, and answer them. If you're looking for contests to enter you can look through the challenges, story section for them. To bring attention to your story, you can start your own thread on this site that posts a description and link to your story plus when you update. You can put a link on the various story threads like Writer's Lounge. You should read other people's story and leave a comment(s) about their stories. That can lead to other writers and readers checking out your story. A fun contest I participate in is the Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge. Contests and challenges are a great way to get to know other people in the Simlit community while honing your skills. Hope this answers what you were asking.
    7YZVoCi.png
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    NoWindows wrote: »

Hi :) I'm probably too late to answer your particular question but in case anyone else is wondering about this:

- You can just start mid gen, like a book that starts in the middle of a scene. It's a nice way to start a story. You can have characters remember things (in writing, without screenshots) to make up for the things you skipped if you think they are important
    - Make a second file to recreate certain pictures you need to tell the story you want to tell. Then just continue playing with your orignal save. Staging screenshots is an integral part in some sims stories and you'll find plenty of resources on how to do it best like the pose player mod.
    - Start your story with gen 2 if you want to start with a birth

And always remember the number one rule: There's no right or wrong in sim lit. Whatever you decide to do is the right way for you :)
  • lilybluesimslilybluesims Posts: 19 Member
    Hello. I'm new here and wanna give simlit a try. I'm still trying to figure out which works best, tumblr or wordpress... and also the poseplayer hasn't been fixed has it?
    xz1R97il.png
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    edited March 2020
    Hello. I'm new here and wanna give simlit a try. I'm still trying to figure out which works best, tumblr or wordpress... and also the poseplayer hasn't been fixed has it?

What works best for sharing stories is the site that works best for you that you're most comfortable getting it to do what you need it to do for your story.

Tumblr is probably the hardest to do given it shows things from newest to oldest when showing posts on peoples' feeds. I don't know if there's a way around that. While Wordpress also does newest to oldest, you can stick most of a post behind a read more or you can put the first page as a static intro page and not worry about it. Blogger is another option you can use as well that works similar to Wordpress but has its pros and cons when compared to Wordpress.

I can't answer the pose player question as I don't use it in Sims 4.

Edit to add: Also you don't have to use the pose player if you don't want, you just have to use normal EA interactions to get the pictures you need. Sometimes easier said than done though depending on your story.
  • lilybluesimslilybluesims Posts: 19 Member
    > @Seera1024 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > What works best for sharing stories is the site that works best for you that you're most comfortable getting it to do what you need it to do for your story.
    >
    > Tumblr is probably the hardest to do given it shows things from newest to oldest when showing posts on peoples' feeds. I don't know if there's a way around that. While Wordpress also does newest to oldest, you can stick most of a post behind a read more or you can put the first page as a static intro page and not worry about it. Blogger is another option you can use as well that works similar to Wordpress but has its pros and cons when compared to Wordpress.
    >
    >
    > I can't answer the pose player question as I don't use it in Sims 4.
    >
    > Edit to add: Also you don't have to use the pose player if you don't want, you just have to use normal EA interactions to get the pictures you need. Sometimes easier said than done though depending on your story.

Thank you for your reply! I think I'll test out wordpress for now. Also, I'm mostly interested in the pose player because I'd would like some sort of family portrait type of picture.
    xz1R97il.png
    > @Seera1024 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > What works best for sharing stories is the site that works best for you that you're most comfortable getting it to do what you need it to do for your story.
    >
    > Tumblr is probably the hardest to do given it shows things from newest to oldest when showing posts on peoples' feeds. I don't know if there's a way around that. While Wordpress also does newest to oldest, you can stick most of a post behind a read more or you can put the first page as a static intro page and not worry about it. Blogger is another option you can use as well that works similar to Wordpress but has its pros and cons when compared to Wordpress.
    >
    >
    > I can't answer the pose player question as I don't use it in Sims 4.
    >
    > Edit to add: Also you don't have to use the pose player if you don't want, you just have to use normal EA interactions to get the pictures you need. Sometimes easier said than done though depending on your story.

Thank you for your reply! I think I'll test out wordpress for now. Also, I'm mostly interested in the pose player because I'd would like some sort of family portrait type of picture.

I usea picture frame called Small Print by Bienchen to get family portraits. Just put it on the wall and it automatically creates a portrait like the one from the Manage Households or Gallery view.
    image.png
  • silveRose82_silveRose82_ Posts: 281 Member
    > @SimTresa said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    >
    > I usea picture frame called Small Print by Bienchen to get family portraits. Just put it on the wall and it automatically creates a portrait like the one from the Manage Households or Gallery view.

Oh, thank you for that bit of information. I have been wanting an easier way of getting a family portrait (wish that was an option in the game) of some of my sims families. Right now I usually go into the manage households and screen shot the family portrait, but it would be really nice to have something easier to get those pictures.
    You're welcome. You can even lock the picture and put up a new frame when members of the household age up or move in/out to get a new one while keeping the old.
    image.png
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    There's no right or wrong in sim lit. Whatever you decide to do is the right way for you :)

i've been letting my sims decide. sometimes i end up writing things i never think too.
  • Kalyps0Kalyps0 Posts: 35 Member
    Hello,
    I have not been Simming for long but was beginning to write a SimLit. Only prob is I realised it is rather dark. I read that we are to keep it at a pg-13 level or lower if we want to post it here on the forums. If our story is above pg-13 and we post it on, for example: word press, are we still able to post the link to it here? Or how would we get the word out about it ?
    (Appollogies if this was already explained and I am simply not understanding).
    Kalyps0 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I have not been Simming for long but was beginning to write a SimLit. Only prob is I realised it is rather dark. I read that we are to keep it at a pg-13 level or lower if we want to post it here on the forums. If our story is above pg-13 and we post it on, for example: word press, are we still able to post the link to it here? Or how would we get the word out about it ?
    (Appollogies if this was already explained and I am simply not understanding).

Yes. You can link it here to the forum.
    7YZVoCi.png
  • femalegamerxofemalegamerxo Posts: 57 Member
    I am too starting to write Simlit and I am having a difficult time with WordPress, especially with and a header to all my pages I understand that only some themes allow custom header's but which ones? it's not very clear on the themes page, what theme do you guys use? Do you pay for WordPress? I apologize I do have another discussion on this topic but in hindsight thought it would be better here as a comment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top