Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Start Over and Thin Out

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
edited March 2020 in The Sims 2
It's that time again. (lol) Two four questions. Would it be better to just pull the entire EA folder to start fresh, and install any CC and mods fresh without trying to sort all my CC and trying to find the matching recolors for meshes etc.? I seemed to have broken the rule of having more cc installed than I have RAM (but TS2 can only see 2GBs RAM anyway) and starting to use too much CPU when the memory usage shoots up to over a billion KBs. lol It's taxing my CPU again and time to thin out my CC.

Oh, and one other question does the videos, (movies) and hood pics and story telling pics also weight down the game? I don't have trouble loading, it loads fast however, I probably have way too much high poly cc in game. :(

Wait, and is it true ( I read it somewhere) the game has a limit on how many subfolders you can have in Downloads? I might have dozens and dozens.
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    If you do start fresh, I would put your original downloads folder onto an external drive you can still access. That way if there's something you find you can't live without, you can grab it without having to worry about the site you got it from still being around.

I doubt it on whether they cause any slowness. But if you aren't using them, it wouldn't hurt to move them to a separate location anyway.

There's not a limit to the number of subfolders you can have. There is likely a limit on how many levels you can do. And a path length of 256 characters (including the \'s and the C:\

Special characters and spaces slow down the game (CC file names are notorious for this)

The more subfolders deep you go can also affect things as well.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Thank you very much. I decided to start a new EA folder and redo all my downloads. I always wind up with too much and some surprising high poly things you wouldn't expect. If a Sim wears that or uses that daily yeah, that memory goes to over a billion then a shut down from game in (my case) and wearing out my CPU. Thank you for the information about the subfolders. While sorting stuff I saw I have cc in folders (so I can find them easily) but inside those folder are more folders and more folders (done by how the creators zipped their files) so yeah, it's more than one level deep. And I bet I really don't need fifty or sixty recolors of a window frame etc. Creators are great but yes, I have some huge files. lol

Yes I saw some stuff with special characters etc. And was shocked to see some of the male sideburns I had downloaed a few years ago for a character was over 5,000...I don't think he should be wearin that everyday, right? that's high poly and I wouldn't expect a sideburn (small) to be a much as some special cc hair for a female. Yep, I also shouldn't be letting high poly hair into the game everyday if my machine is starting to struggle with all these huge files.

Thank you so much for clearing up some myths and I guess I go search for what cc is ten files deep, because yes, I have some. It's hard to load CAS now, and or use it during gameplay or sort through build and buy without the machine struggling to meet the memory demand though my card as 2GBs and I have 8GBs of RAM installed, but it jumps way up to over a billion kbs in use in memory. Oops, I did it again. :p
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I also decided to start over and deleted my old game but now the old link I had used to correct the issue I had with my card not being recognized is no longer working. Gonna need help with the Graphics Rule Maker again as I need to add my card back to the list of recognized cards. Help again? Thanks.
    I also decided to start over and deleted my old game but now the old link I had used to correct the issue I had with my card not being recognized is no longer working. Gonna need help with the Graphics Rule Maker again as I need to add my card back to the list of recognized cards. Help again? Thanks.

If the file is still in your trash try to rescue the Config file inside it and once you have the new game started, and enabled custom content etc. then quit open the EA Game/TS2UC file in your documents and replace the Config file with the old one (hopefully still inside the TS2UC or TS2 file you deleted to the trash).
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I got everything back up and running. What I was trying to do was restart all of the neighborhoods over again and replay them. I hope that makes sense lol
    Finally got my cc down to 1.89GBs down from 4.5GBs. Last time I did this I had to downsize from 13.5 to 4.5GBs. One lesson I hope I have learned is townies shouldn't wear very high poly hairstyles and I really only need to install the hairstyle I want for my Sim and not fifteen different recolors and or for all ages if I never age a Sim. :D If she is always going to be a blond I really shouldn't add all the different colors just in case another Sim would have the same hairstyle. Playing unique Sims is best done in this game where only one Sim will have a particular hairstyle and not every townie and or all my other Sims. :) But I have a weakness for binging on highpoly hair. B)
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've got far too much content in my game and it's been getting a bit slow because the hard drive is too full so I'm moving some clutter over to external storage even though the clutter isn't all game-related.
    @Cinebar -I was getting like you though not as bad yet and I'd take a look at the overall load on my computer's internal hard drive to see if it's gotten too full because that can slow the game and your computer down like what's been happeninto mine though I started working on fixing that with usb storage.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
    TadOlson wrote: »
    I've got far too much content in my game and it's been getting a bit slow because the hard drive is too full so I'm moving some clutter over to external storage even though the clutter isn't all game-related.
    @Cinebar -I was getting like you though not as bad yet and I'd take a look at the overall load on my computer's internal hard drive to see if it's gotten too full because that can slow the game and your computer down like what's been happeninto mine though I started working on fixing that with usb storage.

I had a TB storage, but guess what half that 500GBs was full mostly of TS2 related saves, files and hoods and cc and all sorts of things. lol I might need to curb my obsession with buiding too many hoods, but I have a weakness for just building hoods and setting them up then never playing them. I guess that is the Sim City DNA in me, lol Or seeing some great hair and downloading it. I had so much I finally pulled out more than half of it. Only installing the hair styles my Sims in a hood will wear. It sure helps when trying to find clothes and hair, and makeup to only install what my saved Sim will be looking like and wearing. :)