Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Coronavirus: An EA Update

Comments

• Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Managed to convince my employer to allow me to self-isolate. Not sure I have the willpower to work from home though.

Cannot believe the virus has spread worldwide so quickly. Maybe mankind should stop and think and learn from this.
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    I feel like someone mentioned this as a joke the other day (can't find the comment though), but I actually received an email from an online retailer with the promotional code 'Corona' for a discount on the purchase. But maybe everyone is doing this now and I am just weird for thinking that this is weird.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    cjdelaneycjdelaney Posts: 4 New Member
    Great time to start challenges and stay away from people in the real world! Also, where you guys live, is toilet paper nonexistent? Here where I live in the USA, TP was the first thing to go!
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    @cjdelaney Moscow here. TP is around, but hoarders are not sleeping.
    Canned and longlasting foodstuff is another matter, unfortunately.
    Strangely, people are not buying frozen foodstuffs,
    I'll go shopping in the morning again, see what I can see, grab what I can grab.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    TP is the number one most desirable item here. The supermarkets have put limits of one pack per buy on, and it's still selling out within minutes of hitting the shelves. They were doing a thing where they're letting elderly and disabled people in for the first hour of selling (7-8 AM) and someone wrote in to the paper saying it was gone by 7:05. We haven't been able to buy any for three weeks!
  • Options
    Icy_LavaIcy_Lava Posts: 5,461 Member
    I live in the state of California, and we have almost 800 confirmed cases of Covid-19. The majority are still in the healing process, those who do heal and survive the course of the coronavirus anyway.

My county isn’t on quarantine right now, but many communities, especially large ones like the Bay Area are on lockdown, and most schools and institutions are closed down, and it’s really hard to get tested for coronavirus even if there are suspicions that somebody may have it.

I hope that the Sims can serve as entertainment to to help people get through the self-isolation period, and I wish everyone well who is recovering from the disease or knows of people who are sick.

Stay healthy, maintain social distance, try to eat well, and keep hygiene up. :smile:
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    ryttu3k wrote: »
    TP is the number one most desirable item here. The supermarkets have put limits of one pack per buy on, and it's still selling out within minutes of hitting the shelves. They were doing a thing where they're letting elderly and disabled people in for the first hour of selling (7-8 AM) and someone wrote in to the paper saying it was gone by 7:05. We haven't been able to buy any for three weeks!

I'm just home from a quest for toilet paper. We actually needed some and thanks to hoarders I had to try 3 different stores to get some, the one store who put a limit of one pack per buy. But one pack is enough for now. I went at the end of the first hour for elderly people but people coming in the afternoon will be out of luck.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    cjdelaney wrote: »
    Great time to start challenges and stay away from people in the real world! Also, where you guys live, is toilet paper nonexistent? Here where I live in the USA, TP was the first thing to go!

Last I was in the store, TP was available.
    What wasn't: liquid antibacterial soap, pasta, fizzy drinks (well, some of those), bread, frozen veg, flour, and to my amazement tampons and pads. Apparently Aunt Flow is hitting everyone all at once lol
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Another update. Surprisingly, a lot of supplies are available in abundance and even on discounts. Not a single customer around when I was there, though.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    The more I read about the news & the live update on the number of the cases, I feel like I want to cry. The numbers keep on increasing day by day. I urge everyone to take this very seriously. Keep yourself & your family safe. Take care of your parents if they're within the high risk group. If possible, limit any movement. As of now, although my country is in a partial lockdown situation, only 60% of the citizens are obeying the order as there're some irresponsible citizens that don't take this issue very seriously. The police & a few of the government agencies have work day & night to ensure that there's no unnecessary gathering. Today, our PM stated that, if the situation is getting worse, it would be possible that the lockdown is going to be extended & the military is going to be deployed.

Again, stay safe everyone!
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited March 2020
    Scobre wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    Man, I hope EA decides to keep the sales going - here in the UK the government keep debating lockdown and if I do end up trapped in my house, my sims game will be enjoying some new content.

To all simmers out there, keep safe. It's not about panicking, it's about making sure you can keep those around you calm and healthy no matter your predicament. People come together. There's things in Italy of people going out onto their balcony's and singing to keep their neighbors uplifted, and a website in Ireland has launched a campaign to buy food from restaurants struggling because of Corvid-19, and send it to NHS workers who are doing long shifts and don't have time to buy food. The campaign is called 'Feed Our Heroes'.

I saw the balcony singing, it was wonderful!

I think that Ireland has just come up with the most brilliant idea yet! Maybe we can get this campaign to catch on everywhere else. This is the kind of forward thinking that will bring goodness to a bad situation and help to ease some of the burdens. It would be cool too if Uber drivers and other car services could go into a special delivery mode instead of transporting people, they could bring items from one place to another with minimal contact. Lots of people are trying to have deliveries now instead of leaving the house, and payment would be all online, no exchange of money from hand to hand. It would also allow healthy people with cars to be able to work and make some money if they can't go to their own jobs.
    I really hope something like this helps Simmers to reflect on consequences of actions finally and help bond the community together. My neighbors have been super kind and asked if there is anything we need and that we could check on each other to see if anyone is in need. Actually would be nice to have a mental health thread started during this time to talk about how the game is helping our lives.[/quote

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I asked my local taxi services about collecting Click & Collect for me if I'm not allowed out, because no slots are available at all but they say that supermarkets need the buyer to come and collect themselves and taxis couldn't collect for you. The taxi man in charge said that this would need to be changed by the supermarkets.

I suppose they need elderly people to totter to the counters to prove that they are not millennials, pretending to be older to get preference for the toilet rolls! :o It's times like these we need CEOs with brains. :s
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited March 2020
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    We just went into lock down over here. I have never seen such a huge change in my surroundings in so little time. Last week my kids went to school, I went to work in a company that doesn't allow work from home and I had a drink in a bar. Now school are closed, my boss arranged work from home 36 hours before the government stated work from home should be the default situation where ever possible. No more sportclubs, hobbies, social gatherings,... As of today only essential stores (food, medical and pet food) are open. And on top of that we might run out of toilet paper, not because of a shortage, but because of hoarders who clear out the shelves in the stores every morning. :/

No idea why I am sharing this here but it helps to read we are not the only ones whose lives are temporarily disrupted. Seems like a good time to distract myself with sims but being home practically 24/7 with the kids and work at home makes me wonder if I can get around to it much.

Good luck everyone who faces corona and/or isolation. :)

Update : I just found out my government (Belgium) does not want to officially call the situation here a lock down. Strange. If this is not a lock down, then I wonder what is.

Good luck over there! If the kids aren't getting any online learning or work packets to do from school, maybe you can find some grade-level appropriate academic workbooks for them. Over in the U.S., there's a company that published a series of Super Workbooks; "My 1st Grade Super Workbook," "My Kindergarten Super Workbook," "My 4th Grade Super Workbook," etc. They were pretty thick and full of puzzles, writing exercises, Math exercises, and such for kids to do. My mom used to buy them for me and my sister when we were kids, and we had a good time with them. If packages are still being shipped in your area, maybe you can check online to see if something similar is available now. There's also a children's author who is putting up drawing classes for kids on YouTube. Here's the link to the first episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmzjCPQv3y8

And to all the parents now cooped up with your kids around the world, don't let yourselves get too overwhelmed. There are lots of resources online to keep your kids busy, entertained, and academically enriched. Make sure that, if your kids have chores assigned to them normally (which they should if they're at least 10), they don't skip out on them unless they have to be isolated due to illness. Kids can be frustrating, but try not to nag them too much. They're stressed and worried too, and when you're stressed, sometimes you kind of need a while to get your head together, and the last thing that you want to when you're in that state is to be nagged. That goes double for kids, who already don't have all that much freedom or control over their lives, and now this situation has them out of school...but unable to hang out with friends or go anywhere fun. Introverted kids will probably be more O.K. with things than extroverted kids, but even introverts can get cabin fever, so don't forget to enjoy a family movie night together on the couch or something together every once in a while. And, finally, there are so, so, many arts-and-crafts projects you can do with your kids, even with stuff around the house. Got old socks with no match and old plastic grocery bags or old throw pillows you can salvage the stuffing from? Then you have everything you need to to make stuffed sock critters. Got paper? It's Origami Time. Got old nubs of crayons, some oil, and a muffin/cupcake pan? You can make melted-together rainbow crayons. Remember to have fun together, it's important for you AND the kids.

Stay safe, stay sane, and stay healthy together, and make some memories that you can all laugh and smile at later.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    @SimsLovinLycan Thank you for those tips.
    My kids don't know English yet, so those websites won't help them. The school provided with links for online homework/tasks in our language this week. But it is a challenge to help them with their tasks and get my work done.

And as you say, children can be frustrating but what is worse is to see they are frustrated themselves as well. I do my best to keep a daily routine and hope for the best.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,961 Member
    edited March 2020
    Just focusing on the positives here

which is that putting so many people in quarantine and people not travelling around seems to have great climate benefits no one really hoped for

I wish media would talk about positives more as of now they just keep feeding the panic which surely does not help
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Here in Washington State we're pretty much in full lock down mode. Hubby and I refilled our meds, laid in a good supply of food, but toilet paper, paper towels and napkins, and even baby wipes are hard to come by. While driving to pick up our meds, we noticed how light the traffic is, and I have to admit, it is a bit disturbing. Restaurants, bars, sporting venues, everything is closed. Most people are in a panic because we have been seeing a rise in the number of sick people, and the death toll is rising every day. My main concern is for those living in shelters or on the streets. I see a lot of news about the kids and the elderly, but nothing about how they are going to help the homeless. Just yesterday a man staying in a homeless shelter was diagnosed with COVID 19, and seven others from the same shelter were taken in to be tested. These are people who have nowhere to go, no one to help them and they avoid seeking medical help until they are near death, or law enforcement is called in to do a welfare check. Given the number of homeless camps in the Seattle area alone, this virus has the potential to sicken and kill scores of people, and we wouldn't see it happening until bodies begin to appear. It's scary. Just one sick person in a homeless encampment could infect hundreds. The saddest part is, there is nothing we can do to help other than donate to the churches and charity organizations that are working hard to get these people some help. At the risk of contracting the virus themselves. So if hubby and I run out of TP, but have food in our fridge and a roof over our heads, I'm not going to complain. There are bigger issues out there to think about.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    @Revenwyn wrote: »
    Sadly, I actually have it. I am quarantined in my bedroom separated from my computer since I have elderly people living at home.

So far I am only "mildly" sick but that does mean I've slept most of the last two days.

I hope you will be ok. Things will hopefully get better soon <3
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    cjdelaney wrote: »

Germany here. At first the sanitizers were gone, then the toiletpaper. Canned food and noodles are on shortage, only the things nobody like are available. Recently a joke about priorities makes the round: that there is a shortage of wine and condomes at our french neighbors, while the germans hoard toiletpapers. I don't know if that true, but the people went crazy here.

Since january I observed the corona outbreak in china, I've stocked up my houshold goods step by step, like the recommendation from the ministry. Somehow I knew when the people started to panic, toiletpaper will be the first thing to sold out (for whatever reason), so I've bought some extra, but not so much like the hoarder. People here buy a lot of stuff when the shops are closed on christmas and easter aswell.

3 weeks later I saw the first empty shelves. Usually only a few people cared about the recommendation for catastrophes, now everyone buys too much. According to the media, there is enough for everyone. But people see the empty shelves, can't get what they want and buy even more when they see it the next time. So the circle is closed again.

I really wish the madness of the people will be gone soon. More disturbing, I find the fake news and rumors which are spreading now. Instead of being rational and helpful, some people enjoy to create trouble.
  • Options
    SimsprocfunSimsprocfun Posts: 1,499 Member
    edited March 2020
    At the moment best to avoid any social contact not only for self-safety also for safety of another people, who you meet. At home or in personal garden, terrasse or balcony but not in a crowd.

I'm grateful EA wrote this notice to us, their players. TBH I don't expect anything in nearly future, maximum a patch.

I wish everyone stay healthy!

[Edited by EA_Mai - removing quote of a removed comment]
    Post edited by EA_Mai on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    At the moment best to avoid any social contact not only for self-safety also for safety of another people, who you meet. At home or in personal garden, terrasse or balcony but not in a crowd.

I'm grateful EA wrote this notice to us, their players. TBH I don't expect anything in nearly future, maximum a patch.

A pack or a patch would be great. But under the circumstances today I don't expect anything. And I won't blame anyone either. It is hard enough to keep real life going on normally. There are more important things than a game.
    Post edited by EA_Mai on
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    edited March 2020
    You can still go out and take walks, just maintain a safe distance from people. I was surprised I didn't see more walkers and joggers the other morning - most of the people I saw at the park were seniors walking their dogs. (The park is only a little community park, not crowded under normal circumstances. So, easy to stay 6 ft apart.) It's good for physical health (and the immune system) and good for mental health, as well.

[Edited by EA_Mai - removing quote of a removed comment]
    Post edited by EA_Mai on
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    edited March 2020
    Atreya33 wrote: »

A pack or a patch would be great. But under the circumstances today I don't expect anything. And I won't blame anyone either. It is hard enough to keep real life going on normally. There are more important things than a game.

Agreed. I'm thinking we probably won't see anything in April so simmers should be prepared. I don't think we'll see many complaints though, given the current situation.

Just thankful for Animal Crossing! 😄
    Post edited by EA_Mai on
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Just focusing on the positives here

which is that putting so many people in quarantine and people not travelling around seems to have great climate benefits no one really hoped for

I wish media would talk about positives more as of now they just keep feeding the panic which surely does not help

I saw how polluting gases are falling rapidly, it has a tiny section for it on the BBC News app :D You have to look hard to find it amongst all the doom and gloom.
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    How's everyone? Just to update, my government decided to deploy the army on Sunday to assist the police to control the public movement. Sadly, we have another death today & the numbers of infected people is increasing (mostly, they are from the recent group gathering). On the flip side, it has been reported that the number of crimes are decreasing. ;)

Happy Simming & stay safe!
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    xamira99 wrote: »
    How's everyone? Just to update, my government decided to deploy the army on Sunday to assist the police to control the public movement. Sadly, we have another death today & the numbers of infected people is increasing (mostly, they are from the recent group gathering). On the flip side, it has been reported that the number of crimes are decreasing. ;)

Happy Simming & stay safe!

I guess there is a bright side to everything, even a pandemic, lol.

I just read this morning that the waters in Venice are clear and that their marine wildlife is returning, including dolphins! <3 And the pollutants in the air are diminishing all over the world, which is something that has been escalating too quickly and had become a red alert danger to humanity. So maybe something good will come out of all of this.

Personally, I'm suspicious of the fauna of the world. I'm starting to think this was a big plan of germ warfare of theirs to take back their territories from humans, lol. That poor bat had to sacrifice for the good of all... animality? (Is that a word? Ha. :p )
    #Team Occult