Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

why I don't like sims 2 as much as3 and 4

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2020
    I sometimes used the 'aging off' cheat. I prefer it in TS3 where aging can be universal and you can turn it off and adjust it for the whole world. I would leave it off and age Sims up through the birthday cake if I wanted to. I like that level of complete control.

I'm glad all the suggestions (many not all) that players gave devs over the years were made possible in the next iterations and or carried over and became a universal option for all etc. Such as sledge hammers, aging options, knowing the cost of a lot while building and decorating (it didn't used to be there, :D ) decks and porches, didn't used to have any, and even more they listened to us about, and decided to put in a next iteration and to carry on through out the life of the franchise. I'll give them credit for that or those things they never existed in TS1 but carried forward all these years. Just think all the options maybe available today is built on the sweat and tears of all of us from way back who asked for them to make these things possible. thank you ancestral Simmers. ;) I can't imagine they would remove all the things that came before and now just taken for granted by many as if it was all TS4's ideas.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    I think. like anything else, the first experience with something is the strongest. You only played 3 & 4. I began my Odyssey with Sims2 and while I preferred it over Sims3 in many ways, I can see today how it is limited in its own way. Mind you, my grown daughter used to play The Sims and loved it. She was totally and by far blown away at the revolutionary concept that Sims2 was. I hoped for as much when I made the switch to Sims3. I was grossly disappointed. The Sims, themselves, even on autonomous, failed to behave in a quirky manner. Heck, they wouldn't even chat at the dining room table without my having to do so manually. I called them wooden. So much for the smarter AI we were promised. I felt betrayed. I can do without the open world, but I can't abide the lack of animated behavior from the Sims, themselves.

Now, come Sims4, the Sims, while not the same in their quirkiness, are lively on their own again. And thanks to the mods I use and the CAS, I can't go back and enjoy Sims2 anymore. I love having the celebrity effect, which is greatly improved over the one in Sim3, as you might have noticed if you have GF.

@GalacticGal I was very surprised when I saw this, the bolded text. In my games they almost always chat when they eat together, at the dining table or sitting on the sofa in front of the TV. And they do lots of strange, funny and quirky things too.

Could it be that you're using some sort of third party CC that's blocking the normal functioning of the game, or maybe you're playing on a computer that can't handle the heavy workload it is to run a large and complex game like TS3?
  • SimsQueerSimsQueer Posts: 103 Member
    I really miss the memory system and the fact that the townies actually interacted and created relationships with each other.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    SuzyCue72 wrote: »
    I think. like anything else, the first experience with something is the strongest. You only played 3 & 4. I began my Odyssey with Sims2 and while I preferred it over Sims3 in many ways, I can see today how it is limited in its own way. Mind you, my grown daughter used to play The Sims and loved it. She was totally and by far blown away at the revolutionary concept that Sims2 was. I hoped for as much when I made the switch to Sims3. I was grossly disappointed. The Sims, themselves, even on autonomous, failed to behave in a quirky manner. Heck, they wouldn't even chat at the dining room table without my having to do so manually. I called them wooden. So much for the smarter AI we were promised. I felt betrayed. I can do without the open world, but I can't abide the lack of animated behavior from the Sims, themselves.

Now, come Sims4, the Sims, while not the same in their quirkiness, are lively on their own again. And thanks to the mods I use and the CAS, I can't go back and enjoy Sims2 anymore. I love having the celebrity effect, which is greatly improved over the one in Sim3, as you might have noticed if you have GF.

@GalacticGal I was very surprised when I saw this, the bolded text. In my games they almost always chat when they eat together, at the dining table or sitting on the sofa in front of the TV. And they do lots of strange, funny and quirky things too.

Could it be that you're using some sort of third party CC that's blocking the normal functioning of the game, or maybe you're playing on a computer that can't handle the heavy workload it is to run a large and complex game like TS3?

I presume you're meaning Sims3. I played vanilla in the beginning, on full autonomy. My computer was a gaming rig and my video card was fully up-to-date and compatible with the game entirely. (I learned the hard way that the reason I missed out on so many things in Sims2, is that my daughter taught me to play with autonomy off. Later on, I learned, probably through the forums, that I never had a Sim swing on the door of the refrigerator because it was an autonomous action.) So, the fact that my Sims weren't having lively conversations at the dinner table wasn't third party cc or mods. I didn't really use cc, let alone mods. And in fact, it was well into the game before I started using NRaas (Twallen) mods at all. My singer Sim and his bride got trapped in one of the worlds from WA. I wrote about my problem on the forums and the man, himself, answered suggesting I use his Traveler's Mod. Seems WA was created in such a way that it didn't properly 'shake hands' with the rest of the game. Face/palm. At any rate, I followed his link to NRaas, Industries, found the mod, read up on how to install it. (Thankfully there was a step-by-step via MTS, I think it was) and voila. Got my Sims back!

It was after that, that I lost my fear of mods and I ended up with 20+ mods from NRaas. So glad that Deaderpool created MCCC, because Master Controller was one of my favorite mods in that series.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Sims sharing a meal at one table in Sims 3 indeed have autonomous conversations. It's part of the animation. I actually don't think you can control it. They've done that when I played the game vanilla, they still do it now that I have mods.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Sims sharing a meal at one table in Sims 3 indeed have autonomous conversations. It's part of the animation. I actually don't think you can control it. They've done that when I played the game vanilla, they still do it now that I have mods.

All I can say to that is obviously my game was broken from the get-go.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php

Yes, who knows, must be.

W9Gj2lF.png

eiBZ3jL.png

5JZ57S6.png
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

Yes, who knows, must be.

W9Gj2lF.png

eiBZ3jL.png

Lol! My TS3 sims converse during meals and all the other quirks too! ;)

edited March 2020

Yes, who knows, must be.
    W9Gj2lF.png

eiBZ3jL.png

I’m beginning to understand the criticism Sims 3 gets and why I don’t recognize a lot of it. People played with broken games🤷🏻‍♀️
    5JZ57S6.png
  • motdkmotdk Posts: 208 Member
    I disagree with you.

Yes, who knows, must be.
    W9Gj2lF.png

eiBZ3jL.png

I’m beginning to understand the criticism Sims 3 gets and why I don’t recognize a lot of it. People played with broken games🤷🏻‍♀️

All I can say is that I'm glad I only purchased the Limited Edition of Sims3, instead of the Collector's version.
  • kuriakoskuriakos Posts: 30 Member
    > @GalacticGal said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > All I can say is that I'm glad I only purchased the Limited Edition of Sims3, instead of the Collector's version.

+1
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    motdk wrote: »
    I disagree with you.

with who ? its perfectly fine by the way
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    edited March 2020

Yes, who knows, must be.
    W9Gj2lF.png

eiBZ3jL.png

its possible that some of them were broken but I think some people like more in your face detail the sims 3 had a lot of great details but
    if you blink you might miss some of the little things
    like for instance the sims 2 sims had cut scenes and a lot people want those back and you couldn't miss them even if you tried. there are whole videos about how much people like and miss the cut scenes

one other thing I like about 3 and 4 more then 2 is that in sims 2 when there tired or hungry the sims would yell a lot
    its so annoying and I hope they never put that in a sims game again
    There were two other things about TS2 that I hated:

1) The Aspirations System and Meter

I hated having to keep doing the sim's wants and avoid their fears in order to keep their aspirations at the gold or platinum level (which have several benefits for your sims while at these levels). At the beginning of the game, it's especially hard to do that. It does get easier when you've earned enough points to slow down the degrading of needs and other perks as the game goes on.

I think TS2's aspirations system was developed for it because in TS1, there was no structured system for what sims can do each day, or what would motivate them to do specific things. It was entirely up to the player. So in TS2, when you designate they lifetime aspirational goals, the game would spin for wants and fears accordingly. The system guides on what the player can have their sims do and get benefits for achieving these goals.

But I found it quite tedious having to fulfill their wants and avoiding their fears all the time to fill up the meter and keep it there. You have to work your sims so that they can achieve permanent platinum level in their meters. But by that time, I've gotten bored having to do what the game wants me to do to get that perk. And that is for EACH and EVERY INDIVIDUAL sim you're playing in that game. You only achieve it for that one sim. You'll have to do it again for any others in the household. Perks are not transferrable. And no, I hate using cheat codes for actual gameplay.

I would much prefer concentrating on having my sims do what I want for my stories. I think that is one of the reasons why the devs removed that system in TS3. There are no meters you have to keep track of. You don't have to fulfill any of the sim's wishes for the sim to function well. If you decide not to fulfill the wish, the sim won't fall apart either. However, if you do decide to fulfill the sim's wish, they will earn lifetime reward points which you can use to purchase a whole variety of very beneficial perks.

So yeah. I totally hated the aspirations system in TS2 and hope not to see something like that again in TS5. I hope the devs includes a more simple and uncomplicated system like the wish/lifetime reward points system of TS3.

2) The Fun Meter for Dates and Group Outings

Oh gosh, I really HATED this feature in TS2! As soon as the date or outing starts, a meter pops up. You have to do activities that will cause the meter to fill up but it also degrades too if you don't have your sims keep doing things. Also, in order for the date or outing to last longer than a few minutes, you have to keep them busy to keep the meter going. If the meter is below acceptable levels, your date or outing is a failure and your relationships will degrade a little. The sims that your sim had gone out with might not even want another outing with you. It totally breaks immersion because you're no longer playing it the way you want, but scrambling to beat the meter!

I think that's another reason why the devs did away with that in TS3. In that iteration, there are no meters. So when your sims are out on a date or group outing, you still send them to go out to dine and to clubs to dance and whatever fun stuff, but you can concentrate on the stories you want for them. This is why I love TS3 so much, because the flow of the game is so smooth, with no meters to have to keep watch.

So yeah, I still love the finer animation details of TS2, but the systems I have mention go into too much detail and tedious work that it keeps getting in the way of the stories you want to play out for your sims. The devs did away with all that in TS3 which had a much simpler, uncomplicated, much less intrusive system for guiding the activities your sims can do in a day or on dates and outings.

edited March 2020
    I'm not quite sure I understand this topic. The header states they don't like TS2 as much as TS3 and TS4. OK, but I think if anyone loves TS3 they aren't going to like TS4. (For the obvious reasons).

So, it's sort of confusing to me how TS2 even comes into the conversation if you like TS3 and TS4 better. Because TS4 is so far out of the realm of TS3 in so many ways I can't even fathom how those two can even coincide at the same time in a mind like mine. Not saying one is better than the other, only that TS3 is so different than TS4 that why is TS2 even mentioned. :/ TS2 might have more in common with TS4 than TS4 has with TS3....so I don't get it. Especially since TS2 and TS4 have closed lots and don't have a CASt for all objects and floors and walls built into them, but at least TS2 had a Maxis made Homemaker tool (like a CASt but not for objects) and Bodyshop, where as TS4 doesn't...I think I don't understand how TS2 should even be in the conversation since TS3 can't even be compared with TS4. And or how someone who loves open world, zillions of traits, full family fun fleshed out, and all generations represented better than TS4 does it how anyone can say they like both those better than TS2 when TS4 can't be compared to TS3 since it's so tiny a game.

It might have made more sense to me if the title said I like TS4 better than TS3 and TS2....But TS3 was also liked better and the same as TS4 in the like's department (in conjunction)...I don't get it. Or if the title had stated I like TS4 better than TS2..but I can't see loving both TS3 and TS4...because TS3 players have a very finite reasons of why they like it more than 2 or 4.
    Or did you mean tell me why you like 3 or 4 better than 2? 'Cause I'm confused by the liking 3 and 4 together....seems almost impossible by what I know from TS3 players and TS4 players and what they have said all these years.

As far as the date meter in TS2, it's easy pie, for me, I don't have to do much of what either Sim wants as long as it's friendly and I don't overstep the flirt and romantic things too soon. The wants of each Sim can be filled but filling one like going out to dinner gives you five minutes+ and usually that works out well, and flirt at table or whatever. My Sims always had a great or dream dates. And I never filled all their wants for each other. Never had to woohoo either to get a dream date. Though that is a sure fire way to have one. The key was not to ask out someone your Sim hardly knows.

Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure I understand this topic. The header states they don't like TS2 as much as TS3 and TS4. OK, but I think if anyone loves TS3 they aren't going to like TS4. (For the obvious reasons).

So, it's sort of confusing to me how TS2 even comes into the conversation if you like TS3 and TS4 better. Because TS4 is so far out of the realm of TS3 in so many ways I can't even fathom how those two can even coincide at the same time in a mind like mine. Not saying one is better than the other, only that TS3 is so different than TS4 that why is TS2 even mentioned. :/ TS2 might have more in common with TS4 than TS4 has with TS3....so I don't get it. Especially since TS2 and TS4 have closed lots and don't have a CASt for all objects and floors and walls built into them, but at least TS2 had a Maxis made Homemaker tool (like a CASt but not for objects) and Bodyshop, where as TS4 doesn't...I think I don't understand how TS2 should even be in the conversation since TS3 can't even be compared with TS4. And or how someone who loves open world, zillions of traits, full family fun fleshed out, and all generations represented better than TS4 does it how anyone can say they like both those better than TS2 when TS4 can't be compared to TS3 since it's so tiny a game.

It might have made more sense to me if the title said I like TS4 better than TS3 and TS2....But TS3 was also liked better and the same as TS4 in the like's department (in conjunction)...I don't get it. Or if the title had stated I like TS4 better than TS2..but I can't see loving both TS3 and TS4...because TS3 players have a very finite reasons of why they like it more than 2 or 4.
    Or did you mean tell me why you like 3 or 4 better than 2? 'Cause I'm confused by the liking 3 and 4 together....seems almost impossible by what I know from TS3 players and TS4 players and what they have said all these years.

As far as the date meter in TS2, it's easy pie, for me, I don't have to do much of what either Sim wants as long as it's friendly and I don't overstep the flirt and romantic things too soon. The wants of each Sim can be filled but filling one like going out to dinner gives you five minutes+ and usually that works out well, and flirt at table or whatever. My Sims always had a great or dream dates. And I never filled all their wants for each other. Never had to woohoo either to get a dream date. Though that is a sure fire way to have one. The key was not to ask out someone your Sim hardly knows.

its not that hard to understand @Cinebar
    I like sims 2 3and 4 but I don't like sims 2 as much as I like sims 3 and 4 for the reasons I stated above
    there are lots of things I like about 2 but there's also some things I really didn't like
    edited March 2020
    There were two other things about TS2 that I hated:

1) The Aspirations System and Meter

I hated having to keep doing the sim's wants and avoid their fears in order to keep their aspirations at the gold or platinum level (which have several benefits for your sims while at these levels). At the beginning of the game, it's especially hard to do that. It does get easier when you've earned enough points to slow down the degrading of needs and other perks as the game goes on.

I think TS2's aspirations system was developed for it because in TS1, there was no structured system for what sims can do each day, or what would motivate them to do specific things. It was entirely up to the player. So in TS2, when you designate they lifetime aspirational goals, the game would spin for wants and fears accordingly. The system guides on what the player can have their sims do and get benefits for achieving these goals.

But I found it quite tedious having to fulfill their wants and avoiding their fears all the time to fill up the meter and keep it there. You have to work your sims so that they can achieve permanent platinum level in their meters. But by that time, I've gotten bored having to do what the game wants me to do to get that perk. And that is for EACH and EVERY INDIVIDUAL sim you're playing in that game. You only achieve it for that one sim. You'll have to do it again for any others in the household. Perks are not transferrable. And no, I hate using cheat codes for actual gameplay.

I would much prefer concentrating on having my sims do what I want for my stories. I think that is one of the reasons why the devs removed that system in TS3. There are no meters you have to keep track of. You don't have to fulfill any of the sim's wishes for the sim to function well. If you decide not to fulfill the wish, the sim won't fall apart either. However, if you do decide to fulfill the sim's wish, they will earn lifetime reward points which you can use to purchase a whole variety of very beneficial perks.

So yeah. I totally hated the aspirations system in TS2 and hope not to see something like that again in TS5. I hope the devs includes a more simple and uncomplicated system like the wish/lifetime reward points system of TS3.

2) The Fun Meter for Dates and Group Outings

Oh gosh, I really HATED this feature in TS2! As soon as the date or outing starts, a meter pops up. You have to do activities that will cause the meter to fill up but it also degrades too if you don't have your sims keep doing things. Also, in order for the date or outing to last longer than a few minutes, you have to keep them busy to keep the meter going. If the meter is below acceptable levels, your date or outing is a failure and your relationships will degrade a little. The sims that your sim had gone out with might not even want another outing with you. It totally breaks immersion because you're no longer playing it the way you want, but scrambling to beat the meter!

I think that's another reason why the devs did away with that in TS3. In that iteration, there are no meters. So when your sims are out on a date or group outing, you still send them to go out to dine and to clubs to dance and whatever fun stuff, but you can concentrate on the stories you want for them. This is why I love TS3 so much, because the flow of the game is so smooth, with no meters to have to keep watch.

b
    So yeah, I still love the finer animation details of TS2, but the systems I have mention go into too much detail and tedious work that it keeps getting in the way of the stories you want to play out for your sims. The devs did away with all that in TS3 which had a much simpler, uncomplicated, much less intrusive system for guiding the activities your sims can do in a day or on dates and outings.

I want the wishes back to and I don't like the aspiration bar but I do want fears back in sims 5
    it would be really cool if your sims really wanted a job and when they didn't get they could be sad or angry for awhile
    same if they really wanted someone to like them I would like emotions back from sims 4 for this
    but the negative emotions need to stack and fears and worries are the answer to that
    also having a nice house shouldn't make them happy all the time like in sims 4 @ClarionOfJoy
    I really like the finer animation details of TS2 as well
    Cinebar wrote: »

About dates in TS2, yes I was able to get great or dream dates too, but I don't like being dictated to about what I should have my sims do in a time crunch. It's worse when its a group outing and there's more than two sims in the group.

I think the thread is in answer to the threads about 50+ things that TS2 has that TS3 and TS4 doesn't have. I like TS2 a lot but it gets praised too much without ever mentioning the things about it that weren't so great. I wrote the things I hated about it because we are now in the development phase of TS5. I want all the great things I love about TS2 to be added to TS5 - but NONE of the things I absolutely hated about it. Which isn't very much at all - I think I listed everything I hated about TS2 in only two other posts on this thread. I love everything else about TS2!

I want the wishes back to and I don't like the aspiration bar but I do want fears back in sims 5
    it would be really cool if your sims really wanted a job and when they didn't get they could be sad or angry for awhile
    same if they really wanted someone to like them I would like emotions back from sims 4 for this
    but the negative emotions need to stack and fears and worries are the answer to that
    also having a nice house shouldn't make them happy all the time like in sims 4 @ClarionOfJoy
    I really like the finer animation details of TS2 as well

Oh, I like those ideas for emotions - much more realistic and logical! Yes, emotions should be governed by what happens in your sims lives, not by the objects they're near. Let's hope that the TS5 teams considers this and implements it for that game!

@ClarionOfJoy Did you ever experience receiving the flaming bag of poo after a bad date, though?
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Never had a problem with the aspirations system, played how I wanted to and let the chips fall where they may. Any problems came mainly with trying to handle more than 4 sims at a time. Too easy to focus on one or two and the rest start tanking. Fully agree with the dating thing though. It was more like pushing buttons than a way to strengthen a relationship. TS1 did that much better.
    @ClarionOfJoy Did you ever experience receiving the flaming bag of poo after a bad date, though?

Yeah I did, lol!
    another thing I like to see return from sims 2 is them checking out the objects you put in there house
    but I want there favorite color to effect weather they are just okay with the object or really love the object in sims 5
    I would spend a lot more time picking out things if that were the case
    edited March 2020
    Never had a problem with the aspirations system, played how I wanted to and let the chips fall where they may. Any problems came mainly with trying to handle more than 4 sims at a time. Too easy to focus on one or two and the rest start tanking. Fully agree with the dating thing though. It was more like pushing buttons than a way to strengthen a relationship. TS1 did that much better.

Yeah, that's how I played, too. My goals not the game's goals. I thought it was easy on dates because I would wait until a Sim was hungry so they could go out to eat. That's what a lot of people do, right? They go to dinner, or somewhere. It was only hard when the other Sim had silly wants like things I couldn't fill like get a promotion, and or learn a skill or be friends with someone else in the room. But usually going to dine out with someone usally solved a big problem by filling both Sims' wishes, and adding a lot more time to the meter. Sometimes, the dates had went so well, and my Sim out of energy that I went ahead and ended them. The only bad date my Sim had was recently due to glitch with the taxi. Even before my Sim could get in the taxi to go meet the Sim, she asked where he was at? Lol, and thought he had stood her up. But she showed up at the restaurant anyway, (but not together) and so he asked someone else out while there. Too bad, she lost her chance. lol But they were BFFs so it really didn't hurt the relationship at all though he got a bad memory for a bad date. It was a glitch with the taxi, it showed up on time but I got the message he better get going....weird.

And I would think (for me) seeing wishes of both Sims was a lot better than TS4's to do list of talk ten times, sit down with Sim fifteen times etc.