Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mental Health and The Sims - How has it helped you?

ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
Mental Illness affects us all at some time during our lives, and it can be bought on by a multitude of reasons. There are various ways to help someone cope, and actually, playing the Sims can be one of those ways. Talking to others helps too. It's especially important to keep an eye on the mental wellbeing of ourselves, as well as others during these difficult times.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind - Caroline Flack

I've got ADHD and Dyspraxia. I'm also on the spectrum. The sims helps me to escape the reality of my special needs. It also reminds me that we're not perfect. In some tasks, we may struggle, but in others, we're pretty good at.

How has the Sims helped you with your Mental Health? Also opening this up to simmers with special needs.
e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
Let those smiles spread!

Comments

• simsgirl2619simsgirl2619 Posts: 14 New Member
    I think the Sims has helped me with my PTSD and depression. I honestly think it gives me something that keeps me out of my head. I am really nervous with all this coronavirus stuff and the Sims is keeping my anxiety at bay.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited March 2020
    I haven't said it on these forums before. I have fibromyalgia, chronic backpain, muscle spasms, osteoarthritis, depression/society anxiety, and torn ligaments in both ankles. I bought the Sims Deluxe after watching a TV trailer and been a Sims Tower and SimCity 2000 player. I had a fall down the stairs hitting my back and neck and ankle turned in on 10 steps doing laundry at my old house. I went to the hospital they did nothing but send me home with an ice pack and an ace bandage. A week later I had spasms for 8 hours non-stop so I had to be home schooled and drop out of band. I had epilepsy as a kid too, so just playing video games now is a blessing. So being housebound mostly for five years as I felt my world closing especially since I was a really sporty girl growing up, Sims not only helped me move on from Barbies and continue my stories from that but helped me travel beyond my own bedroom walls. I couldn't control my muscles, but I could with the Sims. So from the moment the first firework set off in a Sims house, I was a Sims pyro deviant for life. It really helped my chronic pain and Sims 2 University helped inspire me to attend college and university. I almost dropped out of university, but Sims taught me from the origin story despite a house fire, something beautiful can be made from the ashes. It taught me never to give up hope and even if I experience some set backs with my mental health, Sims was always there like a loyal friend never giving up on me even though people would sometimes.

When I joined Sims forums I honestly didn't think I would outlive a month. I was told by doctors that I would likely die with my gallbladder removal surgery. So I figured, well I have a month, might as well suggest toddlers so if I were to go, at least I would leave a legacy for future Simmers to enjoy. Five years later I am still here and thankfully survived to see the day toddlers come out, which was one of the happiest days I got to experience since joining forums. I met some pretty amazing people along the way even though last year was tough mentally losing three Simmers I met along my journey. I just take it one day at a time and even with my sleepless nights what helped me get through it was Sims at times, books, and old movies. I haven't been able to run since my accident but being able to run with my Self-Sim at least made me want to cry happy tears especially when first person view came out with the Sims 4. I still can dance and do some sports, just have had to learn to do things differently than before. I joined a gym with a pool and able to run in the water at least.

There was a story called the Spoon Theory which I think has been taken down that helped explain what having an invisible disability is like, but I found this article that summarizes the story in a visual:
    https://countingmyspoons.com/2016/08/5811/

I actually had to get this patch for my service dog Buttercup because I was tired of people bugging me when I use her for daily tasks. I made her in the Sims 4 too.
    61V3GxXIXgL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    I played a lot of sims after my mum died. It was great to have a distraction from grieving and anxiety. Generally, in times when I’ve been through hard stuff, I’ve reached for the sims.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    My Sims are able to conform to my own views. A lot of my Sims have Aspergers or other conditions although quite a few don't. I am able to make that choice for them :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • SimsQueerSimsQueer Posts: 103 Member
    I love making stories and it helps me cope with depression. Sims just happens to be one of those games where you can make lots of all kinds of stories and mods just add to it.
  • pisceschick75pisceschick75 Posts: 541 Member
    I am really nervous about this corona virus too...I am on some meds as well. I use the Sims as an outlet to get my frustrations out. Right now I am playing a Legacy family...but with a twist...each generation has to clear a career field to survive...look it up...It's kind of fitting for what is happening right now...The Apocalypse Challenge.
    Is there a support group for Simming Addiction? I think I need it... :p
  • GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    edited March 2020
    This game means the world to me (as I'm sure most of us here all would agree). It helped me deal with my PTSD/anxiety and also when I was diagnosed with EDS/PoTS in my early twenties. Living in chronic pain/progressively worsening condition sucks but at least in the Sims I get to escape that for a bit. There's no such thing as a dislocated shoulder when just opening the fridge door in the Sims!

It's taken me 7 years to muster up the courage/stabilise my health conditions enough to book a flight to Korea in August and then COVID19 happened. The Sims is literally the only thing that can actually distract me at the moment.

EDIT: I just also want to say that this is a lovely idea for a thread and that I really appreciate having a space like this right now :)
  • DanceSingLoveLiveDanceSingLoveLive Posts: 159 Member
    It's always been a bit of an escape for me, and can often help me feel in control when I don't feel completely in control of my actual life. I've noticed over the years that I end up playing it less when I am more satisfied about where my life is at, and I think I've reached a point where the escapism aspect of it is gone and I can enjoy it and make weird stories and characters.

COVID-19's got me all like, "Yay! Sims time!" Though so the aforementioned doesn't apply currently lol
    ETERNITY'S UGLACY: eternidadsimstories.wordpress.com
    Instagram: eternidad.sim.stories.

• ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    @GracieO312.
    You're welcome!
    No matter how insane or ridiculous they seem, you must follow your dreams - from Neon Pegasus by Parry Gripp
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
    GracieO312 wrote: »
    This game means the world to me (as I'm sure most of us here all would agree). It helped me deal with my PTSD/anxiety and also when I was diagnosed with EDS/PoTS in my early twenties. Living in chronic pain/progressively worsening condition sucks but at least in the Sims I get to escape that for a bit. There's no such thing as a dislocated shoulder when just opening the fridge door in the Sims!

It's taken me 7 years to muster up the courage/stabilise my health conditions enough to book a flight to Korea in August and then COVID19 happened. The Sims is literally the only thing that can actually distract me at the moment.

EDIT: I just also want to say that this is a lovely idea for a thread and that I really appreciate having a space like this right now :)
    Awe you should get to know my friend RoryPlays on Twitch. I think you would get along well with her. Sorry you face chronic pain too. I think the virus has a lot of people feeling isolated right now, but glad Sims is helping you through it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Smidgieroo3Smidgieroo3 Posts: 457 Member
    edited March 2020
    I have DID and The sims helps me create and play with my insiders and give them a happy childhood and life. It can be very therapeutic. I can control their world and make it a safe and peaceful place.
  • GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    edited March 2020
    @Scobre Thanks for the recommendation and I will absolutely check her out!

Also thank you for your kind words and support - I think the thing that's crushing me the most is the fact that 2020 was meant to be the year I got myself out of my 7 year isolation (I barely leave the house anyway - my whole existence revolves around self-isolation haha) and now it's like nope you're not leaving yet. Get back in your bed and stay there for at least 3 months!

EDIT: Always a pleasure to meet a fellow spoonie and someone else who understands what having an invisible disability is like who also loves the Sims!
    Post edited by GracieO312 on
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    The Sims has always been a great place to escape the chaos of the world and enjoy the fun of the game. I have always appreciated the quirks and humor of the game. It has always been a nice place for me to take a time out and play. The Sims does not have a particular agenda when playing: it is a nice slow paced game that puts you in control when life may be out of control. <3
    @Scobre.
    The saying 'Never judge a book by its cover' springs to mind.
    I was diagnosed with ADHD and Dyspraxia during my early years in primary school, back when I lived in Cheshire. I believe that during those years i found out about The Sims. My first full foray into the franchise was TS3, which I got roughly in 2012. My next foray into the franchise was TS4. I got the Digital Deluxe in 2017. Ever since, I've been having fun!
    Let those smiles spread!
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Wow, Scobre you are a walking miracle. You have been granted a special gift of life.
    I understand what it's like to live with Cronic Issues. As a child, I sufferer Cronic Growing Pains that turned into Degenerative Joint Disease in my teens. As a young adult, I've experienced an imbalance in my hormones & low-iron after the birth of my beautiful daughter. And now I experience very bad side affects from my Premenopause to the point where I needed to see a counselor for my sad moods. I always make it my business to find @ least one joy each day & thank the Heavens that my issues aren't worse. I also pray for strength & happiness for anyone suffering Cronic Issues.

Peace, Love & Joy to you all.
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Wow, Scobre you are a walking miracle. You have been granted a special gift of life.
    Awe thanks. Yeah I dealt with a year of intense gallbladder pain. It was sad because one of my friends that wanted to meet me in real life right before I got the surgery is one of the friends that passed away but I was too sick to meet up with him and his fiancee at the time. John Kim was such an amazing artist and worked on some of the art with aliens in the Sims 2 and whenever I see the credits while playing makes me remember him. Sadly brain cancer took him and not many of his friends knew he was sick. It was so weird how we met was when I was taking a little hiatus from the Sims during my uni years to bring my grades up, found my first MMO which reminded me of the Sims with gnomes and flamingos I could fight and it is like once you are a Simmer there is no escaping it when I ran into him. I miss him and the fun times I had playing Lineage 2 with him and his fiancee and she ended up marrying the other player we would play with in the game. It is hard not to feel guilty when you are still alive and some friends don't make it, but we carry on telling our stories about them. My mom went through heart surgery and my dad is fighting cancer now, so I view them as a miracle more them myself. I'm just glad they are still around since I no longer have any grandparents around. One of my friends Writin_Reg was really there for me talking about what was going on with my parents and what was going on with her and it saddened me losing her last year too.

You have quite the inspiring story yourself too @SERVERFRA. Raising a daughter alone isn't easy. That is a good goal to have each day. It reminds me of my goal has been to make at least one other person laugh or smile each day which oddly brings me joy. Sorry you have had to deal with health issues since childhood too, but I am glad that the Sims has helped you through it.

@ChuChuExpress Thanks again for making this thread and glad the Sims has helped you as well. My brother has ADD so I can understand it can be hard sometimes just doing daily tasks. He is now a father of a boy and a girl and has a beautiful wife I am proud to call my sister. It was 2002 when I first got the Sims Deluxe game and I've been corrupted ever since. It has been wonderful to see new Simmers join the Sims community as the years progress.
    @Scobre.
    You're welcome! It also seems that mental health issues and special needs run in my family. My dad has ADHD, as well as high blood pressure (that's from his line of work) and my sister has Dyspraxia.
    Let those smiles spread!
    Thank you Scobre. My beautiful daughter has a strong compassion for people with issues to the point that she has a fiance who suffers from extreme Social Anxiety & Knee pain. Poor boy. I pray for my future Son-in-Law everyday. He's like a son I never had.
    On a lighter note, my daughter became a Simmer the same time as me. She's the one that accidently discovered Sims 3 Diesel Stuff in EB GameStop. When we brought the new game home & tried to install it, we learned that we needed a base game, so we when back to the store & brought the base game to install then the Sims 3 Diesel Stuff. We so didn't know much back then. Lol
    At present we are still simmers. We play our own Sims 4 games & I help my daughter by giving her Sims 4 gift cards so that she can get the Gamepacks & Stuff games in Origin. You never stop being a Mother to your child even when they've grown & moved out.
    PS: I sometimes even get my future Son-in-Law the Steam gift cards to help take his mind off his pain. I always refer my Daughter & him as my kids.
    I've ordered a gaming laptop, an Acer Nitro 5 with a 17 inch screen and two storage drives. Looking forward to it arriving next week. Also, just purchased the digital version of ACNH. It'll give me something to do whilst I wait. My Toshiba has served me very well, and it's not going into retirement any time soon. I did go out to help at the Animal Sanctuary I volunteer for, so I got some fresh air. Messiest job is the tortoises, but it's so worth it when we're using newspaper pages of the tabloid variety to line their indoor enclosure.
    Let those smiles spread!
  • WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,756 Member
    @Scobre, hello, I am sorry to hear what you have been through, particularly that the public have not always been understanding.

It is incredibly frustrating that some people seem to think you have to 'look disabled' to use certain facilities. My sister has autism and severe learning/ communication difficulties, she is very active and requires 2 carers to access the community. I have lost count of the number of times people have questioned the need to use a disabled parking space for her (it is for safety reasons) or given her carers or my parents funny looks because they are parking there and (to the public) are seemingly getting out with a 'normal' looking young lady.
    My parents once made a badge for her as a child to communicate to the public why she behaves the way she does (she is mostly non-verbal but makes a lot of loud noises) because at one point they got fed up of getting odd looks from the public.

I hope, in future, society will become more understanding as more awareness of invisible disabilities grows.

It is nice to see that the Sims has helped so many people through difficult times. I find it is very good for cheering you up when you're feeling down.
    Ever since I got my new laptop, I've been a bit more relaxed, and I've been taking in the view of some of the neighbourhoods. However, I have moments of sadness. I honestly don't cope with everyone in the house. The constant news reports have not been helpful. Social media is also making me feel depressed. Volunteering for three of my local charity shops got me out of the house, as did helping out at the animal sanctuary. I don't mind being alone in the house, but as it stands, I live with my parents. I love them, but they get on my nerves sometimes.
    Let those smiles spread!
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited March 2020
    In my life, I've always been in a position where I have very little freedom or control over anything in my life. When I was little, it was being forced to go to school with other kids who I couldn't relate to and hated me even though I never even messed with them, my brother and my father both ditching me at critical points in my life, and a mother who was becoming increasingly protective and overbearing as she began to worry about the bullying situation and the quality of the schools I was in. In adolescence, it was the home schooling, the fact that I rarely ever got to interact with other kids my age outside of the structured setting of a pre-college program...and still not being able to properly relate to anyone (my mom didn't join one of those home school support groups, she just went it alone), struggling and failing to get a first job, and my Asperger's diagnosis (which was absolutely freaking devastating, and I still haven't completely healed from the blow). As an adult, it's been even more constant failure at trying to find work (yes, even following the insane and confusing amount of advice about navigating the job hunting process), the absolute disaster that was my first try at college (I got attacked for no reason by one of my suite mates, which traumatized me so bad I could barely mentally function for a good year after that), and being trapped living at home with my parents because of my constant failures at trying to find work. (Yes, my life is a dumpster fire. Roll your eyes or shake your head, just don't try and lecture me with "Oh, you have more control than you think," because it's a load of garbage. I've exercised all of the control that I could over every situation, worked hard all my freaking life, the only thing in my way is other people and their hang-ups, prejudices, and selfishness. Hard work, effort, brains, and talent don't get you anywhere if other people don't either help you do what you're trying to do or get out of your way and let you do what needs to be done.)

When I play a Sims game, I finally have the control. I make the rules. I control the world. I determine failure or success without needing the support or approval of other people who are older, or richer, or more popular than I am. I'm the queen. I. Am. God. I do what I want, and no one can get in my way. No one can hurt me. No one can abandon me. No one can hold me back. No one can judge me as defective or weak or weird or unworthy. It's my world and these sims are living in it, and I can make their lives as happy or hard as I like. I can give them a million bucks in starting money, build them an awesome mansion, and let them just hang out all day being a bunch of bums. I can make them start out with no money, living out of a tent or a shack, and slowly build themselves up with hard work and determination to live a comfortable and happy life. There, my ASD doesn't matter. My age doesn't matter. My gender doesn't matter. Only my will matters. It's a relaxing outlet in a life where I'm constantly being blocked and dragged around and pushed around and beaten down and ignored and rejected by this horrendous society that I've been forced to have to try and live in, a society that gives me a headache every day with how stupid and cruel and ignorant and selfish and childish and shallow and cliquish and broken it all is...especially now. Everything I've known about American society for my whole life has been laid so bare by this coronavirus crisis that even the rosiest tinted glasses in the world can't filter out all the filth and scum now...and yet the people in charge are still acting like infantile fools instead of FINALLY BEING GROWN-UPS FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THEIR MISERABLE LITTLE LIVES!!!

...But, when I play, I can forget about the foolishness. I can forget about the cruelty. I can forget about the childishness and the cliquishness and the greed and the selfishness and the shallowness and the apathy and all of that other stuff that makes my brain melt with rage and despair. I can relax, take control, and actually control the world instead of just futilely struggling to make things for myself and others better and happier while a gang of arsonists sprays everything with gasoline and flamethrowers.

...And, breathe...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
    edited March 2020
    Ever since I got my new laptop, I've been a bit more relaxed, and I've been taking in the view of some of the neighbourhoods. However, I have moments of sadness. I honestly don't cope with everyone in the house. The constant news reports have not been helpful. Social media is also making me feel depressed. Volunteering for three of my local charity shops got me out of the house, as did helping out at the animal sanctuary. I don't mind being alone in the house, but as it stands, I live with my parents. I love them, but they get on my nerves sometimes.
    Yeah I have noticed got to limit time with the news and social media. I live with my parents too so I understand. I just play games like Just Dance to get my cardio going which is helping. Having a compromised immune system I am unable to work in the public, so been hard coping with that. It does help using the Libby App while playing games, so I can listen to library books while playing games. Also watching corny shows and movies like Hallmark or Island living shows also helps. My pets have been helping me a lot too. I would highly recommend watching Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist because it is such a feel good show and does such an amazing job at inclusion for everyone.
    @Scobre.
    Today, I listened to Heart UK, both the Heart Wiltshire and Heart London stations. It seems that music and The Sims is helping me to cope. As is ACNH.
    Let those smiles spread!