Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fun - Is The Fun Need Fundamentally Broken?

After watching many let's plays where the player basically runs his Sims to their breaking points I have come to the realization that fun is kind of a broken need. Many activities don't produce any fun or very little fun. Am I wrong? Is Fun just kind of broken in this game?

Fun - Is The Fun Need Fundamentally Broken? 99 votes

Yes
47% 47 votes
No
36% 36 votes
Maybe (please explain)
14% 14 votes
Other (please explain)
2% 2 votes

Comments

• Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 354 Member
    It's not entirely intuitive, or rather, it may be subjective. What may seem or should be a fun activity to you as player to have your sims do, may not have tickled the funny bone of any of the developers that have worked on it. We're completely dependent on what they decide is fun for us and/or our sims in this game. There are however plenty of activities and interactive objects in the game that easily allow you to restore a sim's fun needs though. Usually, my fun quick fix is to just have a sim watch the comedy channel on a TV. That notwithstanding, I also had a saved game where the PrioPerfection Motion Sensor Game Mat would instantly completely restore a sim's fun needs just on activation, even if those needs were completely depleted. That didn't look like it worked as intended.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I haven't really come across anything I thought should be fun which didn't actually provide fun. What sort of activities are you talking about?

My sims gain fun from all kinds of stuff, and I like that they get the option to declare their favourite tv category and then watching that raises their fun even faster.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I don't feel like it's broken because it's still easy to raise. For some activities it depends on traits whether the sim is having fun or not.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited March 2020
    Maybe some more activities could generate more fun but I have always seen fun as a way to tell the player to get their sims to relax and not have them do activities all the time. I do not watch a lot of let's plays but I have noticed that a lot of people tend to ignore their sims needs in their videos, especially the fun need.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    I don't have a problem getting it to go back up exactly, my problem is how much it goes down for some things.
    For instance, I know school is boring, but my Sims come home with their fun completely tanked. They end up doing their homework late at night or early in the morning because I spent hours fulfilling their needs and getting their fun back up first. If their fun only went down a little at school, I could have them do their homework first thing, then do other stuff. I have the same problem with Sims at work.

I'm aware that taking it easy or socializing will slow the drop, but then their career or grade progress stops or goes backwards.

I had this problem in Sims 2 and installed a mod for it that slowed the decay, but I prefer not to install mods until they stop updating a game.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    I've found that playing video games on the computer boosts my sims' fun meter up the quickest.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I am a fiend for keeping my Sims' motives in the green, and Fun is only a problem if you let it be one - get out of the green and into amber or, Watcher forbid, red zone. I have stereos in most areas and even if my Sim is doing something un-fun, they can offset that by listening to music.

In a pinch, Fun is the cheapest mood potion in the rewards panel, at 100 satisfaction.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I just wish electronics didn't automatically increase fun for all sims. Not everyone likes video games and TV.
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Some of you have hit it on the head!
    I feel traits should play a part for sure but they don't.

Painting should be considered fun for an artsy type of Sim. Excercise should be fun for an active Sim.

Why isn't practicing magic fun? Or casting spells?
    I can't even think of enough examples. I usually just default to have my Sim play a game or watch TV or movies.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I haven't really come across anything I thought should be fun which didn't actually provide fun. What sort of activities are you talking about?

Magic. I have the Realm of Magic pack and for some reason that I can't fathom magic is not fun. If I want my sims to enjoy their magic learning I have to download a mod. It's ridiculous that magic doesn't provide any fun for the sims.

Painting is also an activity that should provide fun but yet again it doesn't.

Almost everything that provides fun is an electrical device. I think it's the reason why sims are obsessed with computers, tablets, dancing and watching tv to the point it seems like that's all they choose to do autonomously.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I have definitely noticed that electronics raise fun much more quickly than reading, playing chess and all those other things. I am also gutted that painting doesn't raise fun. I did download a mod to make practising magic fun but it should have been part of the base game.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    Sims in the second game had their motives influenced by the personality point system. Sims with high neatness had their hygiene need decay slower whilst sloppy Sims had it decay faster. Outgoing Sims saw their social need decay faster, lazy Sims had energy decay slower due to inactivity and so on.

Fun was tied to playfulness and seriousness. Sims who were playful gained much more fun from playing games with other Sims whilst Sims who were serious gained far less, preferring activities like reading, chess or using equipment like telescopes. They chose such activities over TV and similar things (which granted less fun, unless it was the news station). Neat Sims also gained fun from cleaning.

3's fun motive was obviously affected by traits in a lot of ways. They determined their favourite activities, TV channels, variations and more. The fact you could make some Sims actively despise TV and other electronics was an interesting choice to have too.

From 1 to 3 painting was fun for everyone regardless of personality. Some simply enjoyed it more than others.

In 4 it really does feel like every Sim is yanked towards electronics, it's all very samey, and the fact that the common sense elements that 1 to 3 go right aren't carried over is annoying.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    edited March 2020
    A lot of the creative activities do not provide any fun, which doesn't make much sense to me, as a creative, because I DO have fun painting and crafting and writing, while my sims just don't. Even if they have traits that would facilitate loving to be creative, they still don't like it*.

*as much as they like playing phone games or watching tv lol
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Painting is fun for Sims with the creative trait. Playing a musical instrument is fun. Writing is not fun, but they can listen to music simultaneously. Gardening is actually fun now once you get your Sim to level 3, I think.
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    For me, it seems just about right. If anything, there should be an option to do something "for fun".
    For example, painting should be fun, but isn't. Why? Because you're trying to make a buck, What if you could draw for fun? Level up skill, increase fun, but the result will not cost anything or very little,

Otherwise, no. I don't think it's broken. It's actually pretty decent, IMO.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    No, because the only thing that bugs me about it is the fact that bookworms don't gain fun from writing.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I don't believe its broken per say... I just think it needs a bit of tweaking and attention. Things like painting...I have absolutely 0 artistic ability IRL and I still enjoy getting messy and making awful art :D It just seems to me like many things that should be fun for sims is specifically fun to only some sims, and even then, the fun gain is so small...
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I agree. And the social need as well.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    I don't think it's broken, I'm just puzzled how doing things that would be fun in real life don't fill up the bar. On the other hand, it's also weird that the sims have fun regardless of which channel they watch. When was it ever fun to watch the news (especially now)? xD
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited March 2020
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    Painting is fun for Sims with the creative trait.

But why is it only fun for sims that have the trait? In real life people can find activities fun without being overly invested in the subject of what they focus on for instance I'm not a painter but I still probably would find painting a fun activity to do.
    Post edited by Sharonia on
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited March 2020
    What I found is that it is fundamentally flawed. Basically it is geared as Sims only desiring to use electronics for fun. I have multiple homes that do not have a computer, radio, or a tv. If I did not mod it out, my sims would constantly go on their phones.
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    Painting is fun for Sims with the creative trait. Playing a musical instrument is fun.

Baking isn't fun, even for foodies.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Drinking fruity fizzy drinks is fun. Try it.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    The only thing that really bugs me about the fun need is that it makes the sim tense, but then the tense moodlet induced whims (yes, I play with whims, don't judge :D ) are rarely for things that raise fun. A shower isn't gonna help when tension is due to low fun need, lol. I've sometimes thought maybe low fun should make sims bored rather than tense? I think there's a mod for that. But then there aren't really any consequences for being bored in the game, which would make fun much less of a "need." Being tense will stop your sim from being able to do certain things, but being bored doesn't. Maybe it could? Like, a bored sim would refuse to do housework or school/work tasks? Idk, I'm not sure what the perfect solution to that would be. But in terms of the fun need itself, I agree as others have stated that it's pretty darn easy to raise a sims fun lol. Like, just stick a stereo in the room and they'll usually turn it on themselves and fill their fun while their doing whatever else they're doing! Have them watch TV while they eat dinner! And so many fun things build skills too, like logic and video gaming and fitness if you have a pool or basketball hoop. (Heck, if you have the fitness pack you can just turn those earphones on and have constantly filled fun all the time, lol)