Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Coronavirus: An EA Update

simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,704 Member
edited March 2020 in Off Topic Chat
As of today, we have transitioned to strongly recommending that all our employees in North America, Europe and Australia work from home until April 1, to help limit potential exposure to coronavirus and minimize the social spread of the illness. Many of these sites, including our Redwood Shores headquarters, were already giving employees the option to work from home, and now is the time for greater measures. We will only have very limited staff for business-critical functions at these sites -- everyone else will be working remotely. Our senior leaders, site leaders and IT teams have been working together to help us prepare for this.

Read more here:

Comments

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    There will be a plenty of time to game and less time to meet with friends
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited March 2020
    I am stocked up on food, will be working out at home instead of the gym, am taking a hiatus from tutoring, went to the bookstore to pick up a few books and plan on relaxing, reading and playing games.....waiting for new sims packs....
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Well, looks like this'll be another empty month just like February. Anything planned for March will probably be pushed back to April.

I'm praying for the health and safety of everyone.
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    edited March 2020
    My girlfriend has brought home something that has put us both down for 10 days with 38C fever.
    Whatever it was, it was not enough. Stay safe and healthy, everyone, but don't give in to fear.
    Live.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I don't like any of this, but at least it gives me more time to just stay home and play video games...
    funny-gifs20.gif

• haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    What gets me going, is why on Earth are people buying up all the dang toilet paper? This virus isn't causing those kinds of issues!

There was a rumor here (which has since been debunked) that toilet paper would be limited because of factory shut downs in China and that a lot of the materials used to make toilet paper would be diverted into making masks, so people horded toilet paper. And then as people were hording, others also felt compelled to buy toilet paper so that they would have some too. Now, the stores have none.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    haneul wrote: »
    What gets me going, is why on Earth are people buying up all the dang toilet paper? This virus isn't causing those kinds of issues!

There was a rumor here (which has since been debunked) that toilet paper would be limited because of factory shut downs in China and that a lot of the materials used to make toilet paper would be diverted into making masks, so people horded toilet paper. And then as people were hording, others also felt compelled to buy toilet paper so that they would have some too. Now, the stores have none.

I'm wondering if SimGuruNinja is working from home as he has a lot of pictures on Twitter with his dog!

As far as virus's go it's rather stupid to hoard toilet rolls in the UK as we manufacture our own. It's also useless to buy up all the hand sanitizer as it leaves others with none so they can infect you! Things don't change. It was just the same in 1665 according to Daniel Defoe's 'A Journal of the Plague Year'!

I'm just annoyed that my laptop has gone in to HP for repair and I can't play Sims 4 at present. :'(
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Virus can spread through the toilet however. That is why I hope plenty of places keep public restrooms clean too. Honestly probably best to wipe the seat with a sanitary wipe before using it anyways because not even the toilet seat can stop infections. Not like there aren't things like baby wipes too. Silly that people are fighting over toilet paper.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    This is a time when I'm quite happy I'm a recluse, and also live alone. AND that my local store STILL had toilet paper yesterday, after being raided for days by hoarders. 'Cause I was all out and needed to stock up. (I don't really get the toilet paper thing either, other than it is a necessary item to have in your house) They didn't have bread, though, so guess I have to bake some. Hope I have the ingredients I need, cause the store was out of flour too :O

Hope everyone is safe and healthy!
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Kathykins wrote: »
    This is a time when I'm quite happy I'm a recluse, and also live alone. AND that my local store STILL had toilet paper yesterday, after being raided for days by hoarders. 'Cause I was all out and needed to stock up. (I don't really get the toilet paper thing either, other than it is a necessary item to have in your house) They didn't have bread, though, so guess I have to bake some. Hope I have the ingredients I need, cause the store was out of flour too :O

Haha ikr :) Social distancing is essentially just like most regular days for us. Except, we usually don't need to worry about people being paranoid about toilet paper :joy: Funny though how that seems to be the one item they hoard everywhere. Monkey see, monkey do?
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I wish I could isolate for months on end but I gotta go to work. There has been a case recorded in a town only 10 miles away.

I'm terrified as I was a victim of the last pandemic and spent months in a coma on life support. I do not wish that on anyone.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I have to continue working as well, when you live paycheque to paycheque can't just take off. I'm not sick, I'd take off if I was, but I work a lot with the public (as a cashier) so hopefully my customers are healthy too. I just keep washing my hands.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    There will be a plenty of time to game and less time to meet with friends
    That is why I got Animal Crossing New Horizons because plenty of time to do both. My nephews are going to love playing the game too and thankfully don't live too far away. It is just being further away from my niece and newest nephew that is a bit harder since they are a state away.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited March 2020
    Kathykins wrote: »

I'm a bit of a hermit too and isolation is no problem for me. It is an excuse to binge-watch TV series and read books put aside. The Sims's games are a relaxation so I hope we do get something soon to lift our spirits.

I made a mistake in shopping online a while ago and got more toilet roll 16 packs than I needed so ok for a month! I must have been guided or psychic! :)
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I have to continue working as well, when you live paycheque to paycheque can't just take off. I'm not sick, I'd take off if I was, but I work a lot with the public (as a cashier) so hopefully my customers are healthy too. I just keep washing my hands.

I still work too, just from home :) hope your customers are indeed following protocol and regularly washing their hands. Stay safe!
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    I live in Florida and people panic buy tp before every hurricane or tropical storm here. But the craze from this is just weird. They are buying out the bottled water too. But there was all kinds of soap. Whatever they are doing with it, they aren't washing their hands when they get done.
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    The media isn’t exactly helping...they create sensationalism and people respond by buying up what they need and don’t want to run out of. With schools closing and so many other things they are making sure they have what they need. Plus, if a situation such as what happened in New Rochelle NY, if they should be mandated to quarantine they won’t exactly have the ability to buy these products after the fact.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member

We're having crazy panic buying. Where I am local shops are reporting to have sold out of toilet paper, pasta and, wait for it......

Tenor saxophones.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    edited March 2020
    The funny thing for us is that we *actually* needed toilet paper and our monthly bulk-buy of meat this week (we have a freezer in our basement). I felt so weird because it looked like we were panic buying when it was just normal (for us) shopping. (we only bought one mega pack of toilet paper... as we usually do.)
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    The funny thing for us is that we *actually* needed toilet paper and our monthly bulk-buy of meat this week (we have a freezer in our basement). I felt so weird because it looked like we were panic buying when it was just normal (for us) shopping. (we only bought one mega pack of toilet paper... as we usually do.)
    That’s great! I applaud those that have the forethought, but both my husband and I are in wholesale distribution and logistics. The veneer is paper thin! Unlike the sims games there are no magical gnomes at night that fill the shelves. It’s a very sensitive situation. Where I live? A major grocery store will close on Monday. They will say it’s due to cleaning, the fact is they can’t be resupplied. So those that have bought and have tried to negate are st the front of it. The rest? Will have empty stores to shop at. At least until this passes.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »

We're having crazy panic buying. Where I am local shops are reporting to have sold out of toilet paper, pasta and, wait for it......

Tenor saxophones.

Look, you need to do something to pass the time.