Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Care to explain this?

2...Next

Comments

• meubanksmeubanks Posts: 445 Member
    If I understand correctly, a lot of EU countries have VAT tax. VAT is added at every stage of production, so things in Europe can be substantially more expensive. However, VAT taxes usually replace income taxes, so pick your poison.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Replace ? In France we have VAT taxes for every single thing you buy but we also pay taxes on our income.
    meubanks wrote: »
    If I understand correctly, a lot of EU countries have VAT tax. VAT is added at every stage of production, so things in Europe can be substantially more expensive. However, VAT taxes usually replace income taxes, so pick your poison.

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    edited March 2020
    Gguy wrote: »
    @SimAlexandria Yet again, like i just said, it's not about me. This was mainly taken to point out an oddity. Plum, i don't even use Euros, i use dollars. Can someone from Europe take an additional origin price picture? I'd like to confirm my theory that Europeans are being charged double the price (I highly doubt that only my pal is being affected)

I think you have to also take into account the rate of exchange, dollars to euros. That may well be why it appears to cost more. Otherwise, you're right, there's something shady going on somewhere.

Seera1024 wrote: »
    Well, between my friend's pic, your statements and my comparison to the prices in dollars, i think it's safe to say that my theory has been proven correct. Now we have to figure out just why the price is so higher in Europe (At least on Origin). I mean, if you convert Dollars to Euros, it should cost pretty similar, around 18 euros or something along those lines. I doubt regional prices would increase the price by 20, that's a crazy difference.

@SimGuruGraham Any input on this?

Could also be a country's taxes.

Most countries require stores to post prices that INCLUDE tax when they advertise price.

The US does not. So our price is without tax.

The other countries have their price as converted from dollars and then their tax added. And countries have different tax rates, I think many countries in Europe have a higher tax than the US.

So keep that in mind as well when looking at prices and comparing.

Yeah, there is something called a Vat-tax that the U.S. has managed to steer clear of. That drives up the cost like nobody's business.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • GguyGguy Posts: 254 Member
    edited March 2020
    I think you have to also take into account the rate of exchange, dollars to euros. That may well be why it appears to cost more. Otherwise, you're right, there's something shady going on somewhere.

Dollars are worth less than euros, though. If that was the case, it would have been the other way around.
    Post edited by Gguy on
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member

Dollars are worth less than euros, though. If that was the case, it would be have been the other way around.

Taxes are the likely culprit then. US prices don't show taxes on that screen and only at check out. Europe prices show with taxes on that screen. I also believe that many countries in Europe have a higher tax rate especially for things like video games.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Seera1024 wrote: »

Dollars are worth less than euros, though. If that was the case, it would be have been the other way around.

Taxes are the likely culprit then. US prices don't show taxes on that screen and only at check out. Europe prices show with taxes on that screen. I also believe that many countries in Europe have a higher tax rate especially for things like video games.

Vat is 23% in my country. It no way would go from 19 dol to 39 euros...