Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unpopular Opinions (The Sims 3)

Comments

• LandorienLandorien Posts: 44 Member
    I hate the writer career even though it seems to be a popular choice among simmers as being a good money maker. It's about as fun as watching paint dry.
  • ingridmfingridmf Posts: 67 Member
    Landorien wrote: »
    I hate the writer career even though it seems to be a popular choice among simmers as being a good money maker. It's about as fun as watching paint dry.

I'm not a huge fan either to be honest. Plus, it's super hard to get to Lvl 10. My sim was literally writing all the time, so much as that I would get that "going insane from staying inside" mood pretty often and she still didn't reach Lvl 10 before she died :|

But it is true that's it's a pretty good way to get rich.
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    edited February 2020
    Landorien wrote: »
    It's one of the careers that allows your sim to stay at home and look after the children, while you can concentrate your game on other family members. The same is true for painting. That's why my current town is full of writers and painters :smiley: .
  • AccurateDinoAccurateDino Posts: 9 New Member
    My unpopular opinion - Vacations are things that should exist. The fact that they don't in Sims 3 hurts me on an emotional level. We have WA with 3 cultural subworlds, and none of which you can vacation in. The second you get there you're expected to be Indiana Jones. The closest thing we have to a vacation spot is the world that comes with Island Paradise, but it's a full world, not a place to actually vacation, and it's also unplayable even with route fixed worlds because house boats are spawns of all that is evil. The fact that EA had not one, but two chances to make really good vacation areas and chose not to still stings today.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,281 Member
    My unpopular opinion - Vacations are things that should exist. The fact that they don't in Sims 3 hurts me on an emotional level. We have WA with 3 cultural subworlds, and none of which you can vacation in. The second you get there you're expected to be Indiana Jones. The closest thing we have to a vacation spot is the world that comes with Island Paradise, but it's a full world, not a place to actually vacation, and it's also unplayable even with route fixed worlds because house boats are spawns of all that is evil. The fact that EA had not one, but two chances to make really good vacation areas and chose not to still stings today.

@AccurateDino, I use them as vacation spots as I don't always do the adventures in those worlds. And if you use NRass Traveler mod, then you can set the length of the time that your Sims stay there. Some players even go into edit mode and add some of the store venues and such into those worlds so that there are more things to do... ;)
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    Equally as exciting as watching paint dry is depending on your dog. Training is a pain (THANK YOU MASTER CONTROLLER) and takes up most of the time. I cheat and adopt my dogs fully trained. It’s the best way (for me). Then I send them out hunting. I’m usually rich before the week is out. :mrgreen:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,966 Member
    I actually don’t mind most of the EA/store content with regards to clothing and hair. Someone mentioned how kids with CC look too grown up or something, and I have to agree. Well, ok, not all of them... I mainly mean the child models on Sims Resource who have these really weird pouty lips, or look like they’ve got makeup on, which is just not my style. Most of the long hairstyles on TSR have these weird bumps in them, like they were originally adult hairstyles resized for kids, and the bumps are because that’s where the chest would be on an adult Sim. However... my favourite hairdo in TS2 was the half-ponytail with the silver barrette, like the one Angela and Lilith Pleasant have. I would have loved to have that in Sims 3 :D
    I also don’t really care much for skin/eye etc CC, I don’t particularly mind the “pudding face” look.

I also kind of agree about the lack of modest CC. One of my saves is of a “traditional/conservative” family where the females wear skirts/have to be covered, the women can’t have jobs etc. I downloaded a couple of bits of “modest” CC, including leggings. However, there are pretty much ZERO modest wedding dresses/ones with sleeves!!! I only really downloaded about 3/4 bits of modest CC including a knee-length skirt (the base game skirt that comes with the bulky pockets is just weird IMO)... the base game came with ONE skirt, which is a little ridiculous, and there aren’t many dresses options either, as in a simple knee-length dress with sleeves... there’s either that spaghetti-strap dress with the bow on it, or the weird dress with a hood. Sims 4 is way better in this regard!! I also got some ballet CC for my child Sims. But that’s it.

I don’t really pay much attention to how the worlds are laid out.

I also don’t like building much. Or creating my Sims. When I create a family, I usually have an idea of how I want things to go in my head and so I just want to go ahead and play!!

Most of my “super rich” families are that way because of Tiberium, obtained through breaking Space Rock Blocks.

The celebrity system I’m not too bothered with. I’ve never had a level 5 celebrity, but I’ve had a couple of level 4 ones.

I don’t use vampires or werewolves. My Sims are usually human or fairies (which I like for the skill gain benefits). I’ve had a couple of witches, but not many.

Ok... I could go on... I’m not hugely opinionated on anything. I know I went on quite a bit about the skirts thing, but I just make do with what I have.
  • rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited February 2020
    @Landorien and @ingridmf I like it. But I did figure out one good way to make it better-

The tablet from the store. Just have your writer listen to the writing tabcast while doing stuff (preparing dinner, eating, working out, going for a jog) I'm having my sim Cristina do that so if she needs to quit her Journalism career she can be an author. (Might be sooner than I think...)

Which brings me to this - I can't decide if I like the aliens or not... considering I just witnessed my first sim abduction today. Looks like the Montoyas might have some aliens in their family tree...

Anyway I'd like to echo what @Turjan said, it's one of the few things a sim can take up as a job while watching the kids. Painting, Gardening and using the telescope to look for meteorites are good too.

It's my first time with pets, and so far I'm not sure I like it. I got another pup so the first wouldn't be lonely, but my sims house is too small and there's so much routing errors. Time to move I guess, or expand.

I also don't know what I'd do without mods. Nraas, the Online Center mod, ATS3... they're awesome.
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    University Life is one of my least favorite packs because I find sending sims to university to be very stressful.
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    University Life is one of my least favorite packs because I find sending sims to university to be very stressful.

I love the pack but getting into class thanks to routing issues is very stressful so...agreed.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I don't know if this is unpopular, but i don't like social groups at all! I find it to restrictive that sims's actions fall into three groups only and overall i don't see a meaning for this... i wish i could get rid of it.
  • PotsaePotsae Posts: 79 Member
    Mine would be:
    I love pudding faces. They are just the right combination of "bland, but not actually bad looking " for me. I think that thanks to them npcs are never ugly clowns (yes, some bad fashion choices, but I don't recall meeting something truly horrible - I only have to change their style (and I love stylist career!)).
    I like the lack of body sliders,.
    I love how the game looks overall.
    Also not sure how unpopular those are, but I LOVE CaS, CaSt, Open World and Story Progression! I like being a "helper" to sims, not roleplay theirs every step.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    telmarina wrote: »
    I don't know if this is unpopular, but i don't like social groups at all! I find it to restrictive that sims's actions fall into three groups only and overall i don't see a meaning for this... i wish i could get rid of it.

@telmarina I completely agree! I tried looking for a mod that gets rid of the social groups completely and haven't found anything. Perhaps there's a setting in NRaas MC or SP.

Potsae wrote: »
    Mine would be:
    I love pudding faces. They are just the right combination of "bland, but not actually bad looking " for me. I think that thanks to them npcs are never ugly clowns (yes, some bad fashion choices, but I don't recall meeting something truly horrible - I only have to change their style (and I love stylist career!)).

@Potsae ^I agree with you on that. I've seen some pretty darn good looking "pudding" Sims in my day, have even considered them to be worthy marriage candidates. <3
    I think those who like to focus on the genetics side of the game is why they don't like pudding Sims so they can have more variety in their posterities looks. I can understand that. I've just never really done generational play long enough to care. :p
    I wish there were more sliders ;) but I love the game's general look too. I much prefer it over Sims 4s cartoony look.
    I also like to help Sims along and not order their every move, unless I'm writing a story with them. ;)

52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
    edited March 2020
    Well, you get a 6th or 7th trait for your sim, depending on whether your sims finished uni or not. Many of my teens already have the additional trait. You even get to change that trait every time your sim crosses to level 8 in any of the three social groups (as those levels drop naturally, this can happen many times). Plus, you get additional career choices.
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    IMO there are those who have no idea what "pudding" actually means when referring to sims. Sure, they aren't ugly per se but imagine how bland and uninteresting a game would be if all sims had exactly the same face. Superficial changes like skin, hair, eye colour and weight doesn't change the fact that a face that has all sliders set to zero (definition of pudding) can look only one way!
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »

I enjoy University Life for the stuff included like bowling alleys, coffee shops, and the various interactive items. But, I rarely send my sims to University unless it's part of a specific story I want to tell. It can be a bit of a hassle. (I usually just get them the honorary degree LTR.)
    IHJCfa6.jpg
    edited March 2020
    @emorrill i will try to find if nraas master controler has some option on it. Haven't tried yet, but it would be the best solution if it did. @KevinL5275 Thank you! If Nraas mc has no option to avoid social groups I'll give it a go and let you know how it goes!

@Turjan i dislike the social groups so much that im ok with letting go the extra trait and even the 3 carrers associated with them. I can't explain exactly why i don't like them... maybe because i find it too intrusive. Maybe i don't want all my sims to fall into those 3 categories... i don't know...

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @emorrill wrote: »

@telmarina I completely agree! I tried looking for a mod that gets rid of the social groups completely and haven't found anything. Perhaps there's a setting in NRaas MC or SP.

Mine would be:

@Potsae ^I agree with you on that. I've seen some pretty darn good looking "pudding" Sims in my day, have even considered them to be worthy marriage candidates. <3
    I think those who like to focus on the genetics side of the game is why they don't like pudding Sims so they can have more variety in their posterities looks. I can understand that. I've just never really done generational play long enough to care. :p
    I wish there were more sliders ;) but I love the game's general look too. I much prefer it over Sims 4s cartoony look.
    I also like to help Sims along and not order their every move, unless I'm writing a story with them. ;)

It took me long time to find out how to remove the social points and it is under skills in nrass. You can set Sims skills into minus I think as well so if the groups annoy you then you could set everyone to -100 and it would take a while for anyone to gain anything. I have not tried that myself though
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    @Turjan i dislike the social groups so much that im ok with letting go the extra trait and even the 3 carrers associated with them. I can't explain exactly why i don't like them... maybe because i find it too intrusive. Maybe i don't want all my sims to fall into those 3 categories... i don't know...
    No worries, I was just answering your "overall i don't see a meaning for this". You play your game to have fun after all, and if it isn't fun for you, that's how it is. That's what this thread is for after all :smile: .

Anyway, as I'm playing on epic timescales, it has probably more impact in my game than in yours. Most of my sims have high nerd and jock social traits simultaneously.
    @emorrill wrote: »

Mine would be:

It took me long time to find out how to remove the social points and it is under skills in nrass. You can set Sims skills into minus I think as well so if the groups annoy you then you could set everyone to -100 and it would take a while for anyone to gain anything. I have not tried that myself though

That sounds like a way to consider if a disabling option is not possible... But sims will keep earning points anyway, right?
    Turjan wrote: »
    No worries, I was just answering your "overall i don't see a meaning for this". You play your game to have fun after all, and if it isn't fun for you, that's how it is. That's what this thread is for after all :smile: .

Anyway, as I'm playing on epic timescales, it has probably more impact in my game than in yours. Most of my sims have high nerd and jock social traits simultaneously.

Yes, there is a meaning for this 😂😂 i guess i want to get rid of it so much that i exagerated a bit 😂 thank you for always being so helpful @Turjan :)
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Maybe not an unpopular opinion in the whole sims community, but probably among TS3 players...I prefer TS4s cartoony graphics to TS3's realistic ones, if we just go by the looks of the sims themselves, since I prefer the looks of TS3 worlds by a mile.

What might also be an unpopular opinion of mine is that I don't like family play. Now I do have a toddler in my current family, but I also have a plumbot with the RoboNanny trait who takes care of the toddler as soon as one of her needs are down so her parents don't have to :D Since I also play on a really long life span, I would have probably lost my mind if it wasn't for my family plumbot ^^ My main household usually consists of about 7-8 sims, and most of them aren't related, but just a bunch of weird individuals thrown together. Only 3 of my sims are normal humans (the toddler and her parents, though I temporarily turned the latter into a vampire and a werewolf, respectively, and plan to turn the toddler into a fairy when she gets older). As for the other household members, they are usually random occults I throw into the house to cause chaos. I had 3 ghosts before I resurrected them with ambrosia and moved them out (though I just resurrected one of them to kill her again lol), now I have a simbot, two plumbots and a witch. The way I play my household might also be an unpopular way in itself...as it seems most simmers (on the forums atleast) prefer to play normal, suburban families, while I tend to take the crazy route. (Have I mentioned that I have 4 urns on my lot as well? :D)

Somebody else already said it, but I also can't stand social groups, especially how unbalanced they are. If I leave my sims to their own devices (which happens often since I usually have a big household and can't focus on everyone at a time), they always end up maxing out their nerd influence since they ALWAYS end up autonomously playing computer games. The social groups are unbalanced because new sims without influence in any social group almost never do any autonomous actions for the other two groups. Of my 7 sims, all of them except the toddler are atleast level 5 in the nerd social group because of these autonomous actions. Two of them actually got so much influence recently that they were able to choose a new trait...without me doing anything for them to gain it.

Another unpopular opinion is that I don't really care about the most popular packs, Seasons and Pets in particular, since they just cause my game to lag when there's a thunderstorm or too many pets in the world. In fact, my favorite eps are ITF and WA, which are generally considered the most unpopular packs.

That's enough for now, I think I might have gotten a bit off-track with a few things, but oh well :D
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited March 2020
    I may have the most unpopular opinion. I actually liked the Katy Perry Sweet Treats. The play ground equipment is nice. The decor, game, and cake dome makes a perfect sweets hangout or bakery type. The pool stuff adds to a pool lot. Two of my favorites is a fancy dress that is gorgeous in silver. I use it often. I also love hearing the TGIF song on the Sims radio. Sometimes, I find it on purpose and listen to it many times.
  • -KendallKatz--KendallKatz- Posts: 244 Member
    I. Liked. Long. Loading. Times. Sue me! But....I don't know. Especially with the Sims 3's scavenger hunts for Lifetime Happiness points, the loading times really weren't an issue for me. And this is coming from someone who played The Sims 3 on a brick for a computer. In fact, after watching that cute intro video, it really got my creative juices flowing. I'd take that time to think up ideas for my Sims' storylines and it got me even more excited when it was time to play. It allowed me to think up a lot of ideas and built up my anticipation for the game so when I saw the camera pan over the world I was really hype. I'm sure some people may agree with me? But who knows.
    origin id: slayingsims
    4677c7a6473e6a278b30e270c9b1e82a.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top