Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5? No thank you!

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    I look back at my first post which says "We are at the peak of microtransactions" and now I laugh. Maybe NOW we're at the peak?

The Sims wasn't meant to be played on Laptops. It was meant to be played in your home, to destract you from your husband complaining how long it was since your last woo-hoo and your kids screaming about dinner.

I totally get that people would want to play Sims 4 on the go but face it, it's a big game and gets bigger with each expansion. The bigger the expansion, the more room it'll take up. Maxis is obliged to give us a good game, patch bugs, and give us occasional free stuff. They're not obliged to keep your system up to date.

Pandering to the lowest common denominator will make a game smaller, and I'm sure that will make them a lot of money but it won't make the game any better. Currently, if anything will be impossible to play on Laptops as they are now it would be an Open-World Sims 5.

I remember when woo hoo was simply called 'play in bed' and could only be done on a vibrating heart bed and only with the first EP! :D

Yep, and even married couples wouldn't play in bed or even sleep in same bed until the player took the time to build up the relationship 90/90+, good times. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • J23_HJ23_H Posts: 2 New Member
    I hope the sims company with continue to use sims 4 and will just add updates and new packs and game play options. I especially hope that they will add better aging in kids like 5 year olds and 7 years and 14 year olds etc
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    If you're indifferent to the Sims 5 and won't buy it... well, that's another reason EA won't rush to make it. In fact a lot of people feel that way.

There's a lot of loud people who want Sims 5 but I can't imagine Sims 5 attracting more people to the Sims universe. As you said, I see EA cutting and running with Sims 4. They never did say which Sim City would be the last; they just stopped making them.

They moved SimCity to mobile where it's doing well apparently. That's my real concern with Sims 5 -- though since they already have two mobile Sims games, perhaps they won't throw a lot of resources into making a fully fleshed mobile version for the next iteration.
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I'm kind of in wait & see mode. Wait & see what content is still to come for Sims 4 (which still feels half-baked to me) & what Sims 5 will have to offer. The worlds will likely be the deciding factor, whether they're open worlds or loading screens. I'm also not getting any younger & feel like my Sims journey might be coming to an end. Yet at the same time I'm already picking out my household names for Sims 5!
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
    edited March 2020
    The more time passes, the more the story is similar to BioWare... an amazing studio which lost its magic.
    Mass Effect Andromeda and The Sims 4 are great games but the future games won't beat the first trilogy

Star Wars syndrome ? (milk the franchise until its death)

• Sims4DisneyStuffSims4DisneyStuff Posts: 143 Member
    I say no to The Sims 5!!!

I'm not ready to let 4 go just yet. We have so much, yet I want so much more...
    edited March 2020
    More EA lies about "Your rules" more I'm skeptical about the future

- No house in Sixam
    - No army of evil servos
    - No skeleton slaves

This imaginary game seems amazing but it will never exist for real.

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member

- No house in Sixam
    - No army of evil servos
    - No skeleton slaves

I'm pretty sure false advertisement is illegal. This could be reported.
  • mimilu04mimilu04 Posts: 83 Member

- No house in Sixam
    - No army of evil servos
    - No skeleton slaves

I think the idea in this clip is just that you can romance and create a family with an alien. Also you can definitely make an army/slaves using the cloning machine and the club system, obviously it's not a straightforward option in the game but smthg that takes time and effort to do and totally depends on the player to create.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »

- No house in Sixam
    - No army of evil servos
    - No skeleton slaves

I'm pretty sure false advertisement is illegal. This could be reported.

This is getting plain pathetic.
    mimilu04 wrote: »

I think the idea in this clip is just that you can romance and create a family with an alien. Also you can definitely make an army/slaves using the cloning machine and the club system, obviously it's not a straightforward option in the game but smthg that takes time and effort to do and totally depends on the player to create.

0:13 the background looks like that house is on Sixam.

0:19 there's 9 bots or more. In order to recreate this in the game you would need to have bots form a club. No clue what action could make them march in two lines like that though.

0:23 this one is probably the easiest to recreate, as the skeleton effect can be cheated onto living sims. And there's only 5 sims in that picture. However if I was an outsider, I would think that something along the lines of "Bonehilda" is being advertised to me from the other Sims games. Not a temporary effect from a game pack.
  • mimilu04mimilu04 Posts: 83 Member
    That’s how trailers are, they don’t represent strictly gameplay, rather general storyline ideas.
    edited March 2020
    0:13 the background looks like that house is on Sixam.

cheat code : bb.enablefreebuild

But it's still a special lot to visit, not a residential lot as they pretend.

poster11.jpg
  • BiaaalonsoBiaaalonso Posts: 1 New Member
    I really don't need a The Sims 5, mostly because EA said that they're only gonna make TS5 if TS4 wore a success. Well, when you buy TS4, you realize that you don't need anything besides what you already have. And even if they make TS5, i will only considerate a good game if they add like, a TS3 and a TS4 fusion. It would be awesome. I have to admit, i prefer TS3 than TS4, but TS4 is still really cool. And besides, EA hcan do much more cooler stuff for us, like giving us more Expansion Packs to complete our dearly beloved TS4. We don't want thing to change! The Sims is already perfect just the way he is now. So, EA,if your hearing this, DON'T MAKE THE SIMS 5, PLEASE.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    Biaaalonso wrote: »
    I really don't need a The Sims 5, mostly because EA said that they're only gonna make TS5 if TS4 wore a success. Well, when you buy TS4, you realize that you don't need anything besides what you already have. And even if they make TS5, i will only considerate a good game if they add like, a TS3 and a TS4 fusion. It would be awesome. I have to admit, i prefer TS3 than TS4, but TS4 is still really cool. And besides, EA hcan do much more cooler stuff for us, like giving us more Expansion Packs to complete our dearly beloved TS4. We don't want thing to change! The Sims is already perfect just the way he is now. So, EA,if your hearing this, DON'T MAKE THE SIMS 5, PLEASE.

Dude this game can't last five more years , or forever
  • Jacoblew97Jacoblew97 Posts: 1 New Member
    Can you implement VR into the sims 5? YES. The tech is there! Sims 4 contained a first person view! I personally wold like to see a completely free roam open world like sims 2 (being able to directly control each sim with the joy sticks.) AND MAKE IT VR.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Jacoblew97 wrote: »
    Can you implement VR into the sims 5? YES. The tech is there! Sims 4 contained a first person view! I personally wold like to see a completely free roam open world like sims 2 (being able to directly control each sim with the joy sticks.) AND MAKE IT VR.

TS2 isn't open world. I wish VR was in TS3 which IS open world. I would love to see the scenery as it passes by from my sim's view as he or she drives through the world. You can kind of do that now though when your sim scuba dives and you look through the view finder of the waterproof camera but it's very limited. If TS5 is open world, I think a VR option would be great!

• LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member

TS2 isn't open world. I wish VR was in TS3 which IS open world. I would love to see the scenery as it passes by from my sim's view as he or she drives through the world. You can kind of do that now though when your sim scuba dives and you look through the view finder of the waterproof camera but it's very limited. If TS5 is open world, I think a VR option would be great!

VR is still very niche; very expensive and something that not many people have access to. It would not be operatable by most desktops and pretty much make your laptop melt down. If there was some kind of 'first person' it wouldn't be impossible but VR is probably a bad idea, since Sims 4 is a building game as much as a life simulator. If Sims 5 were open world you'd need all your processor power to fuel that, not your headset.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

VR is still very niche; very expensive and something that not many people have access to. It would not be operatable by most desktops and pretty much make your laptop melt down. If there was some kind of 'first person' it wouldn't be impossible but VR is probably a bad idea, since Sims 4 is a building game as much as a life simulator. If Sims 5 were open world you'd need all your processor power to fuel that, not your headset.

VR is nothing more than first person view. You don't even need a headset - just the first person view on your computer screen!

• MagnezoneMagnezone Posts: 212 Member
    I would like The Sims 5. Your tech thing, i wanna go into, and I'll explain some thoughts there.
    When Sims 2 came out, it was a radical improvement
    The Sims 2 still is a radical improvement in many ways over its successors. Just look at a video of all the things The Sims 2 has that the later games do not.
    As for Sims 3... well, it ran on an upgraded engine of Sims 2. It was Sims 2, but it took advantage of the success of Sims 2, and of stronger computers to make it bigger.
    The engine is completely different. I get what you're trying to say, though.

But yeah, The Sims 3 was poorly optimised and didn't run well on a lot of PCs at the time. In retrospect, I like The Sims 3 a lot, but it was before its time and way too ambitious. I reckon EA could do a more optimised open world style game now. Having sub neighborhoods so the game wouldn't have to load everything at once would help.

EA could really do with looking at how other games with huge open worlds deal with loading things in, the problem is with the style of The Sims franchise. Most open world games will keep areas not visible to you, the character, unloaded. The Sims doesn't have this option due to you playing God, who looks down upon the world from above. Another thing that can't really be helped is the sheer amount of routing issues caused by open world due to this playstyle. In other open world games, everything from MMOs like WoW to sandbox games like GTA, if you can't route over things, you just choose to go a different way, or keep messing around trying to get past something unpathable if you're that stubborn. The Sims are AI based, they make their own decisions, including what they think the smartest route to take is, and a lot of the time it isn't the most optimal, and can cause them to get stuck.

I find open world to be really give or take. There's aspects of it that I like, but I also find it causes more issues than it actually solves, and I don't think it's a necessity. I'd rather have create a world tool, be able to add decorations to my neighborhood on the world map like in The Sims 2, with sims be in small sub-neighborhoods like in The Sims 4 except the entire area is loaded rather than just my house and the surroundings, to decrease having to move around quite as much.

The problem with EA and building an expansive game engine too, is The Sims core fanbase, who will pay $800 for the game and all of its packs, but won't pay that for a decent PC, that they can play anything, including The Sims, on. For this reason, the game will always stagnate at something that can run on standard office level desktop PCs, and I hate it. I guess this is a point against wanting The Sims 5 being a thing, in a way, but meh.

Create-a-Style, though? I still to this day cannot understand for the life of me how this caused performance issues, and I'd love a good explanation from EA.
    They knew from the start that there was a limit to its engine, and that meant they'd have to make a Sims 4. If you need proof, the number of packs for Sims 3 is roughly the same as Sims 2. THIS is the reason for the four-year gap thus far, And Sims 4 still wasn't completed in that four years. Remember pools and Ghosts weren't completed at release and they only started Toddlers after release and it took a year - but we do have the best toddlers ever.
    Ok, I need to address this, because this just isn't true. The Sims 3 had only 3 more EPs, but had a lot more content than The Sims 2, to the point where the game was overstuffed with content, and caused even worse performance issues than what people already had.

It appears on the surface that The Sims 4 has a lot more content due to having a lot of packs. This isn't true. Most of the content in The Sims 4 per pack is light and fluffy. The Sims 3 packs were loaded with content, and I didn't realise to what extent until I revisited earlier this year and saw how much I never explored. That said, The Sims 4's packs are getting better for content, but early on, they were uh... well, let's just say Get Together exists, for some ungodly reason, in the state it does, because someone at EA approved that pack and said it was ready for release.

That said, I do agree toddlers are much better this time around, but I fully believe if it wasn't for all the complaints and drop in sales, they'd have never been added to the game at all.
    Now, they could have made a Sims 4 exactly like Sims 3 and have a space limit again and people noticing that they might as well be playing Sims 3... or they could put together something very different that could expand indefinitely. Something with the Pixar-style graphics that wouldn't go out of date or enter the Uncanny Valley. Something that could be expanded upon and improved indefinitely and need never come to an end. They can add pack after pack forever, and keep tuning up things.

In essence, I agree with this. And this would be the ideal. But The Sims 4 is so fundamentally flawed in its base mechanics, the entire thing needs a do-over, which is why I agree with making The Sims 5. That said, I doubt EA would take the direction I want, which is essentially The Sims 2 with some quality of life changes, aspects of The Sims 3 I liked that The Sims 2 didn't have and much more content. The only things I'd keep from The Sims 4 are CAS and build mode, honestly, as well as the way some content was handled like the vampire skill trees.
    My blog full of things that never get finished!
    XVlamuQ.png
    Magnezone, the lover of Calientes, Lotharios, Landgraabs and Curiouses everywhere.
  • SinaMegapolisSinaMegapolis Posts: 244 Member
    Magnezone wrote: »
    Create-a-Style, though? I still to this day cannot understand for the life of me how this caused performance issues, and I'd love a good explanation from EA.

Here's one i heard of and think makes sense:
    So since the Combaination of colors and patterns that can be made with CASt is so vast, TS3 simply generates them every time you play instead of saving and loading them to avoid save game bloat.
    But to ensure that the loaded colors and patterns on Objects and clothing don't get erased when you move around the world, the game caches them, in other words, it temporary saves them and loads them whenever needed

Now ideally this would happen on the RAM but since the game engine is limited to x32 bit computers the game can't use more than 4 GBs of RAM which is nowhere near enough if you consider the vast number of objects and sims in a world alone, not to mention that the Open world AI uses the same amount of space.
    So to offset this, the game makes cache files on MyDocument/The Sims 3 folder, and caches into those files instead. Adding to the size of the files whenever needed.
    Now here's a problem: an Average HDD is almost 50 times slower than an average RAM. So if caching on RAM takes a second, caching on a HDD takes around a minute.
    And since most TS3 players have installed their windows on a HDD they all get the performance issues caused by this.

How to fix it? You have to install a SSD on your computer/laptop and force the game into caching CASt files on there. doing so fixes most of the Performance issues both in-CAS and in-World.
    It appears on the surface that The Sims 4 has a lot more content due to having a lot of packs. This isn't true. Most of the content in The Sims 4 per pack is light and fluffy. The Sims 3 packs were loaded with content, and I didn't realise to what extent until I revisited earlier this year and saw how much I never explored. That said, The Sims 4's packs are getting better for content, but early on, they were uh... well, let's just say Get Together exists, for some ungodly reason, in the state it does, because someone at EA approved that pack and said it was ready for release.

That said, I do agree toddlers are much better this time around, but I fully believe if it wasn't for all the complaints and drop in sales, they'd have never been added to the game at all.

Even tho Get Together is one of those weird packs that kinda happened, i still like it. Because the club feature is so versatiles and almost every pack that came after adds bits and bits to it that make the pack even more worth the price.

Also windenburg is the largest TS4 world to be featured in a pack (an exception tho, not the rule sadly) and actually has some nice lore that gives TS2 vibes.
    Another thing that can't really be helped is the sheer amount of routing issues caused by open world due to this playstyle. In other open world games, everything from MMOs like WoW to sandbox games like GTA, if you can't route over things, you just choose to go a different way, or keep messing around trying to get past something unpathable if you're that stubborn. The Sims are AI based, they make their own decisions, including what they think the smartest route to take is, and a lot of the time it isn't the most optimal, and can cause them to get stuck.

Skyrim and Oblivion both boasted NPCs routing through wast amounts of the world.
    You can solve the routing problem by putting clear definitions on what the NPCs will route on and what they won't. In The Sims 3 CAW you would colour unroutable areas yourself. That being said, you can introduce a simple rule that they would only use roads for routing unless they approach what is considered a "lot". Then their routing would be no different than in a closed world game like The Sims 2, as lot routing was something that every sims game dealt with anyway.
    Sure, it means no sims accidentally wandering through the forests, but you could, as a player, make some forest lots that connect to the road, so that wouldn't really be an issue.
    The problem with EA and building an expansive game engine too, is The Sims core fanbase, who will pay $800 for the game and all of its packs, but won't pay that for a decent PC, that they can play anything, including The Sims, on. For this reason, the game will always stagnate at something that can run on standard office level desktop PCs, and I hate it.

My biggest issue with both The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 is that I COULDN'T use more hardware to fix their issues. For The Sims 3 I'm now using modified ini files to allow for more RAM using, to make it utilize my GPU and CPU, like 10-20 mods all to do with fixing issues with the game and I redownloaded every single EA map with routing fixed.

I gave up on The Sims 4, because I would need to do the same. I would need to spend ridiculous amount of time modding to make it run OK. And I don't mean framerates, I mean their broken simulation and buggy gameplay.

The Sims 4's packs are getting better for content, but early on, they were uh... well, let's just say Get Together exists, for some ungodly reason, in the state it does, because someone at EA approved that pack and said it was ready for release.

I find the opposite to be true. I find them to be getting worse.

Take Seasons for example. You get holidays! But they will not interact with any other pack, meaning you'll most likely be disabling them in your game, if you for example want to play University, or an active career.

Major feature of Seasons weather? Inferior to even The Sims 2 weather though because it is flat. They couldn't even give depth to puddles.

At least Get Together had one fleshed out system that you don't need to disable to enjoy other packs.

• MagnezoneMagnezone Posts: 212 Member
    I gave up on The Sims 4, because I would need to do the same. I would need to spend ridiculous amount of time modding to make it run OK. And I don't mean framerates, I mean their broken simulation and buggy gameplay.
    I absolutely 100% agree with you. The thing is, this isn't really what I meant. The game is buggy, but as is The Sims 2, which seems to run the best and encounter the least issues from my experience.

I mean that even if EA released a perfectly functional game that played properly and made use of your hardware, giving it decent specs would kill its player base.

For example: my partner has an old laptop. I used it a lot when moving out of my parents place before I could bring my PC. It runs The Sims 4 on lowest graphics, albeit with significant dips in framerate, but it does run.

That same laptop can't even run indie platformers like Dustforce nor could it run League of Legends above 10fps, and LoL in particular is incredibly well optimised for bad machines. Let's not get started on modern games - not a chance.

And this is the kind of machine I see a lot of The Sims core audience play on, as I'm in a Facebook group for the sims and I feel every post is from a laptop user complaining the game melts their laptop, and I've yet to see a user there other than me say they play on a gaming PC, nevermind a self built one like mine.

From personal experience, my teenage sister plays on a laptop too and insists on having High Sim Detail when her machine can't handle it so she can take pictures of her cute sims of pop stars and her Barbie dream house. Her framerate gives me a headache.
    I find the opposite to be true. I find them to be getting worse.

I guess agree to disagree. I love the holiday system in Seasons, and ignoring the bugs and issues, the last few packs (DU, RoM, Island Living, Strangerville not you and Get Famous) were the most in depth to date.

I see a lot of people saying Windenburg makes Get Together worth however? Nah. I don't see it. Windenburg is smaller than every town that came with an expansion in the previous two games. We just have low standards for The Sims 4 and we need to admit it.
    My blog full of things that never get finished!
    XVlamuQ.png
    Magnezone, the lover of Calientes, Lotharios, Landgraabs and Curiouses everywhere.
  • SinaMegapolisSinaMegapolis Posts: 244 Member
    I see a lot of people saying Windenburg makes Get Together worth however? Nah. I don't see it. Windenburg is smaller than every town that came with an expansion in the previous two games. We just have low standards for The Sims 4 and we need to admit it.

If we're going to use TS3 and TS2 standards for TS4 then the entire TS4 series would be worth half the price they're worth now :D
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,645 Member
    Alot of good points here. For me personally, TS4 is worthless. I gave up on it and quit playing it. First time in the franchise that I haven't bought all the expansion packs for the game.

I know there are a few of us that have gaming computers. I have my first machine that has a SSD. Really made a huge difference in the performance. 16 gigs of RAM also helped immensely.

I believe you are probably correct that the majority of the base players don't have gaming machines. Too bad they can't make two versions of the game. One for laptops and one for serious gamers.