Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should The Sims start catering more for the AFOTS?

Comments

• secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member
    I'm middle aged but still not nostalgic. I'd like stronger personalities and more simulation - I really don't want to play with dolls and I don't get emotionally invested in my Sims as people.

The thing I remember most from the Sims is that they'd always wet themselves. I'm glad the AI has improved a bit.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I wonder if ‘teen-rated’ necessarily has to mean La-La-Land to be honest, as EA seems to think.

Honestly I'd even be good with La La Land
    at least in La La Land there is couple dance and such
    LOL, true.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member

The thing I remember most from the Sims is that they'd always wet themselves. I'm glad the AI has improved a bit.

Mine still pee themselves all the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 time. ALLLL the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 time! Even if I tell them to use the toilet.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I would love for them to stop being so overly sensitive and politically correct. I would love for them to go forward with how we create in CAS but give us back the colour wheel. I'd love for them to go forward with Build Mode but again give us back the colour wheel and material options, spiral stairs, ladders, and a platform. Add the ability to have a sunken living room for our builds. Have different heights for the ceilings on each level like a vaulted ceiling for the living room but the mudroom has a lower ceiling. I like some things in Sims 4 but take the very best from The Sims, Sims 2 and Sims 3 and Sims Medieval and take it to the next level. In my opinion, Sims 4 rested on their laurels. I don't think the game caters to the younger fans. I think they are afraid to be sued because of that one person out there that is so easily offended that they are offended by their own shadow. People like that aren't generation-specific. There are just easily offended people of all generations. Unfortunately, some companies feel they have to cater and kowtow to those individuals instead of the majority of us who aren't so easily offended.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I like all milestones in life.
  • CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member
    The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get. Especially at the sims community who is really behind the "dumbing down" of the game. So many times I come on here or twitter and there are more and more people who act like adult players don’t exist. That we’re some gross, dirty secret.
    I'm really sick of having to pretend that adult players don't exist. We're here. We've been playing the game longer. It's so incredibly offensive to tell us our money and our voices aren’t as good.
    Not only is my money just as green as any other player, but in fact could be argued as greener as I don't have to ask mummy’s permission to buy content.
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,426 Member
    edited February 2020
    The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get. Especially at the sims community who is really behind the "dumbing down" of the game. So many times I come on here or twitter and there are more and more people who act like adult players don’t exist. That we’re some gross, dirty secret.
    I'm really sick of having to pretend that adult players don't exist. We're here. We've been playing the game longer. It's so incredibly offensive to tell us our money and our voices aren’t as good.
    Not only is my money just as green as any other player, but in fact could be argued as greener as I don't have to ask mummy’s permission to buy content.
    This. The problem with the community is that we keep butting heads with each other. There's one side of the community that asks for TS4 to be less juvenile, yet there's another side that defends TS4's toned down state and create outrages over things that they deem as ‘offensive’ and ‘has the potential to raise the game's rating,’ such as that one time where someone had a major freakout about how a parent Sim can shove their child, despite the animation itself being rather tame and is perhaps one of the least violent shoves you'll ever see in a video game. There was also another outrage where someone else freaked out over the fact that teen Sims can ‘mess around.’ I don't think I have to explain to you what they accused the game for.
    Post edited by MMX on
    9d1z2m12k175.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2020
    MMX wrote: »
    This. The problem with the community is that we keep butting heads with each other. There's one side of the community that asks for TS4 to be less juvenile, yet there's another side that defends TS4's toned down state and create outrages over things that they deem as ‘offensive’ and ‘has the potential to raise the game's rating,’ such as that one time where someone had a major freakout about how a parent Sim can shove their child, despite the animation itself being rather tame and is perhaps one of the least violent shoves you'll ever see in a video game. There was also another outrage where someone else freaked out over the fact that teen Sims can ‘mess around.’ I don't think I have to explain to you what they accused the game for.

Yeah, like that never happens in real life. It's no longer a life simulator and hasn't been since TS3 ended, and many things aren't in 3 either. TS4 is more like the avatar game where you dress up and then level up. Wow, that's so much fun. Not. Maxis is at fault for community attitudes. It's their own PR dept. that has said we aren't the vast majority, but many of us backed them since before The Sims life simulator but we don't count anymore, because we grew older, and possibly wiser to their tricks and don't fall for it anymore. (like budget, time, and not enough profit< we know they spend all that cash somewhere else).
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Like much of modern society EA fails to learn from history. Companies that produce junk sooner or later discover that their customers have gone elsewhere. When was the last time you saw an Edsel or Yugo (other than at a car show)?
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    When was the last time you saw an Edsel or Yugo (other than at a car show)?

Early 90's. My dad had a Yugo. It got totalled in an accident and I can't recall seeing once since.

As to the OPs question. Yes, I think it does need to go back that way a little bit. They do need to appeal to newer players certainly. That's how a company stays relevant. But, they also need to take into consideration their long time players and older players. We are the ones with money to blow.
    When I played in my 20's, I always had to save up to get my EP's. I was still trying to get all of Sims 2 when 3 came out.
    Now I have spending money to spare, but I always buy packs for half off because I don't have the enthusiasm for the content I once did.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
    I would love for Sims 4 to have a bachelor/bachelorette party with a sim jumping out of a cake, that would be a hoot. Lol
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    Bloosmoo wrote: »
    Until attitudes get back to normal and people learn to laugh at the silly and stupid things in life again, we're stuck in a pc nightmare where everyone is offended. I know when my kids walked in on the opening scene to whoohoo in Sims2 they were shocked and a bit Oh no they aren't! Then they laughed about it because lets face it that's the reaction it was probably meant to have. That ewww why did I ever press that button it's gross! To no that's actually kinda funny. Now that scene is considered raunchy and must be hidden, pretty much like table legs in the Victorian Era. In this incarnation of the Sims we don't need a proper trait, because we already have it. A sim farts and someone is offended. A gender patch is added and everyone is offended. Something so everyday causes offence what chance is there of returning to an era of humour in a game. Come to think of it, that offends me. (Just kidding)

I get what you're saying. Even our Comedians in RL are suggesting humor is dead. They can't mock ordinary things, because let's face it, humor is only funny if it's based on a truth. And some of the things used in the past are now verboten. There is a very well-written situation comedy TV show called M*A*S*H. That show couldn't be produced these days. Too many things we found hysterically funny in the 70s when it first aired are now deemed offensive, or insensitive or racist. (When they mean bigoted.) There is so much you just don't dare make fun of these days. I'm offended that others are offended, but that gets us nowhere.

I didn't begin to play Sims until 2005 and it was Sims2. I'll be 65 years old very soon. I loved the quirkiness of the game. I'd like to think of myself as having a very good sense of humor. What I don't like is how dumbed down the game has gotten starting with Sims3. Ghosts should be ghosts and not simply deceased Sims whose only real difference is that they are transparent in look, yet they have the very same needs as a Sim who is 'living'. I want them to frighten any Sim who happens to 'see' them, as in Sims2. Not be something benevolent and only scare a Sim for fun.

(As for the gender patch, it was promised that would be by the player's choice, only, yet it has morphed over time.) I don't play that way in my game, it's against my Core Values. I was very happy that we have to set it up in CAS if that's what we want. I won't tell anybody else how to play their game, I don't expect others to tell me how to play my game. I don't like it when my male Sim ages up from toddler to child and is in attire that could easily be feminine. Or, that my first-time Actor Sim is getting parts where he has to hug, bite or flat out kiss another guy. Those gigs should have a little asterisk* beside it so we'll have a clue. Otherwise, it's no longer my choice. As easily as we can turn off lightning and blizzards, so should our choices be. And, yes, I wouldn't mind if EA were to branch out a bit. If need be, why not make two versions of the game? T and M. Now, I'm not asking for raunchy as some have put it and nor am I not asking for R-rated. There is and should be a happy-medium.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Bloosmoo wrote: »
    Until attitudes get back to normal and people learn to laugh at the silly and stupid things in life again, we're stuck in a pc nightmare where everyone is offended. I know when my kids walked in on the opening scene to whoohoo in Sims2 they were shocked and a bit Oh no they aren't! Then they laughed about it because lets face it that's the reaction it was probably meant to have. That ewww why did I ever press that button it's gross! To no that's actually kinda funny. Now that scene is considered raunchy and must be hidden, pretty much like table legs in the Victorian Era. In this incarnation of the Sims we don't need a proper trait, because we already have it. A sim farts and someone is offended. A gender patch is added and everyone is offended. Something so everyday causes offence what chance is there of returning to an era of humour in a game. Come to think of it, that offends me. (Just kidding)

I get what you're saying. Even our Comedians in RL are suggesting humor is dead. They can't mock ordinary things, because let's face it, humor is only funny if it's based on a truth. And some of the things used in the past are now verboten. There is a very well-written situation comedy TV show called M*A*S*H. That show couldn't be produced these days. Too many things we found hysterically funny in the 70s when it first aired are now deemed offensive, or insensitive or racist. (When they mean bigoted.) There is so much you just don't dare make fun of these days. I'm offended that others are offended, but that gets us nowhere.

I didn't begin to play Sims until 2005 and it was Sims2. I'll be 65 years old very soon. I loved the quirkiness of the game. I'd like to think of myself as having a very good sense of humor. What I don't like is how dumbed down the game has gotten starting with Sims3. Ghosts should be ghosts and not simply deceased Sims whose only real difference is that they are transparent in look, yet they have the very same needs as a Sim who is 'living'. I want them to frighten any Sim who happens to 'see' them, as in Sims2. Not be something benevolent and only scare a Sim for fun.

(As for the gender patch, it was promised that would be by the player's choice, only, yet it has morphed over time.) I don't play that way in my game, it's against my Core Values. I was very happy that we have to set it up in CAS if that's what we want. I won't tell anybody else how to play their game, I don't expect others to tell me how to play my game. I don't like it when my male Sim ages up from toddler to child and is in attire that could easily be feminine. Or, that my first-time Actor Sim is getting parts where he has to hug, bite or flat out kiss another guy. Those gigs should have a little asterisk* beside it so we'll have a clue. Otherwise, it's no longer my choice. As easily as we can turn off lightning and blizzards, so should our choices be. And, yes, I wouldn't mind if EA were to branch out a bit. If need be, why not make two versions of the game? T and M. Now, I'm not asking for raunchy as some have put it and nor am I not asking for R-rated. There is and should be a happy-medium.

I heard all about the gender patch and it is a million miles away from what I would want in my game.

The way I have it is this. There are male Sims and there are female Sims. The men only marry woman and woman only marry men. That is my method of gameplay. I have nothing against anyone who wants to play different or has a different view but they should be able to play their game separate from how I play mine.

Another reason why The Sims should be OFFLINE is because some players might see offense if they saw lets say, a male Sim dressed as a female in their game (or shared game as it would become) and this could lead to all kinds of problems. I am to the right of the centre and this my views are reflected in The Sims.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    I wouldn't mind Sims 4 getting abit more mature like past games, though I would prefer other stuff being brought back first before adult jokes getting added back in. (y'know wants & fears, actual relationships, non massive telescopes that take up entire backyards, etc)

I miss the funny moments like my sim getting sent nudes in the mail.
    my first-time Actor Sim is getting parts where he has to hug, bite or flat out kiss another guy. Those gigs should have a little asterisk* beside it so we'll have a clue. Otherwise, it's no longer my choice.
    Not trying to ignore your entire argument, but uh why is it odd for two guys to hug? The bite one is weird tho, never really delved too much into acting gigs (cause I don't have the EP) and didn't know your actors will bite each other.
    EMrBkJP.png
    There are hugs and there are hugs. Those of greeting are one thing, the other is a different story. Since the poster did not specify, and I've yet to do any acting things, can't say more than that.
  • VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    There are hugs and there are hugs. Those of greeting are one thing, the other is a different story. Since the poster did not specify, and I've yet to do any acting things, can't say more than that.
    I'm kinda not getting it, but that's prob because in other parts of the world a hug is just a way of showing affection to anyone you care about. Hell in Italy if two people are good friends they give an actual cheek kiss instead of making the noise.
    EMrBkJP.png
    I doubt that is the kind of hug a movie scene crafted by EA would be. That aside, the US of A is not Europe or the parts of the world you refer to.
    If the Sim is an actor... then they are acting. I'm not sure I see the big deal. Actors hug, kiss, and bite (if they are vampires) other actors all the time. When I was in theater we did all sorts of stuff, often with whatever person happened to be our partner that day. But, I haven't had an actor Sim either, so maybe I'm missing something here.

As for the attire, that seems to be completely random rather than EA pushing any particular way of playing. It's been an issue for awhile that Sims will wear whatever random stuff the game decides to put on them, especially when aging up or becoming vampires. Townies often walk around looking like a closet threw up on them. They do need to address that somehow.

On topic, these things nothing. I mean, come on. We used to have strippers. STRIPPERS.
    Must have been a mod. Never saw that in TS2. The closet dump is more than townies as I'm seeing it on regular premades and own simss. CAS is infected by it as well.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited March 2020
    This is a good point. After all, even though LEGO is a company which primarily makes products for kids roughly 3 years old to 12 years old, they still do a lot for their adult fans too. They make advanced building kits with thousands of pieces that sell at a price point that only adults and working teens can afford, they sponsor building contests, they support artists who use LEGO bricks as their primary medium. In their LEGO films, they reference classic sets and older LEGO media (like the Gold Ninja joke in the Ninjago movie). They appreciate all of the fans, young and old, who've played with LEGO bricks over the generations, and they try to keep not just the kids and the teens and adults who are still into LEGO, but also older people who may not have touched anything LEGO in 15 or 20 years, but still have fond memories and warm feelings attached to the brand happy.

EA could and should be that way with The Sims: making sure that the game maintains that "T" rating so that kids can still buy it with their birthday money, but also keeping it challenging and exciting for adult fans of the series as well. There are lots of "T"-rated games that have a lot more edge and drama to them than TS4. Many of them are JRPG's, but still. Maintaining the "T" rating and making a game that kids can have fun with doesn't necessarily mean taking the fat out of the biscuit for older players. Most Final Fantasy games have the "T" rating, but also seriously tackle hard subjects like religion, politics, revenge, environmentalism, the value and meaning of life, what it is to be a person, racism, crime, and more. Even after shifting the battle system to "we don't feel like making a proper turn-based system, so let's just slap Kingdom Hearts' combat on it and call it a day," they still aren't afraid to "go there" with the stories. Imagine if Square/SquareEnix had decided, somewhere along the way, to make all FF stories "American Saturday Morning Time Slot Friendly as Recommended By 4Kids Entertainment." The series would have taken a terrible hit.

With a long-running series, you can't forget about your long-time fans. LEGO knows that, SquareEnix knows that...but EA has yet to learn this lesson.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
    Must have been a mod. Never saw that in TS2. The closet dump is more than townies as I'm seeing it on regular premades and own simss. CAS is infected by it as well.

Strippers? They were in Sims 1 and 3. They didn't completely strip down and they were called entertainers, but they were clearly strippers.
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,426 Member
    edited March 2020
    This is a good point. After all, even though LEGO is a company which primarily makes products for kids roughly 3 years old to 12 years old, they still do a lot for their adult fans too. They make advanced building kits with thousands of pieces that sell at a price point that only adults and working teens can afford, they sponsor building contests, they support artists who use LEGO bricks as their primary medium. In their LEGO films, they reference classic sets and older LEGO media (like the Gold Ninja joke in the Ninjago movie). They appreciate all of the fans, young and old, who've played with LEGO bricks over the generations, and they try to keep not just the kids and the teens and adults who are still into LEGO, but also older people who may not have touched anything LEGO in 15 or 20 years, but still have fond memories and warm feelings attached to the brand happy.

EA could and should be that way with The Sims: making sure that the game maintains that "T" rating so that kids can still buy it with their birthday money, but also keeping it challenging and exciting for adult fans of the series as well. There are lots of "T"-rated games that have a lot more edge and drama to them than TS4. Many of them are JRPG's, but still. Maintaining the "T" rating and making a game that kids can have fun with doesn't necessarily mean taking the fat out of the biscuit for older players. Most Final Fantasy games have the "T" rating, but also seriously tackle hard subjects like religion, politics, revenge, environmentalism, the value and meaning of life, what it is to be a person, racism, crime, and more. Even after shifting the battle system to "we don't feel like making a proper turn-based system, so let's just slap Kingdom Hearts' combat on it and call it a day," they still aren't afraid to "go there" with the stories. Imagine if Square/SquareEnix had decided, somewhere along the way, to make all FF stories "American Saturday Morning Time Slot Friendly as Recommended By 4Kids Entertainment." The series would have taken a terrible hit.

With a long-running series, you can't forget about your long-time fans. LEGO knows that, SquareEnix knows that...but EA has yet to learn this lesson.
    Yeah. There's no sugarcoating that EA's practice of toning down the game's content is done for the sake of ensuring a 'safe space' for the more sensitive side of community, which is a little ridiculous in my opinion. If anything, this practice just adds unnecessary weight to the franchise. The way I see it, your triggers are your responsibility.
    9d1z2m12k175.png
    I agree with MMX. There's some things in the game I'm not too crazy for, but I don't worry about it. I just play around it, laugh it off & make my households the way I want too. And if they get a wondering eye for a sim that's not their soulmate I straighten them out. LOL.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

EA could and should be that way with The Sims

So true!!! I feel ea does the exact opposite. It's disrespectfull... Older players, the ones that have been with the game for 2 decades, are not listened. It's like everything we say is because we want the game to live in the past. But that's not true. We just want quality.
    lisamwitt wrote: »

Strippers? They were in Sims 1 and 3. They didn't completely strip down and they were called entertainers, but they were clearly strippers.

That explains it, I don't do 3 & memories of 1 are old and dim. On the leggos, once saw a life-sized Darth Vader made of them, and it wasn't even in one of their stores. Have seen photos of a huge leggo mdel of the aircraft carrier Intrepid, complete with airplanes. Clearly there are advanced users of the product, and for them to be remembered and supported by the company speaks volumes. EA definitely has a lot to learn!