Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rocking chair over easy chair

For those who knit in rocking chairs (actually knit, or can ask someone who does) what, if any, advantage does it give over knitting in an easy chair or on the couch?

I mean, I don't find my rocking chair particularly comfortable for extended periods of time, so I prefer to knit while sitting on the couch or in a chair. But knitting in a rocking chair is part of the stereotype, so I'm wondering if it has any actual advantage for knitting, or if it's just that people who are assumed to like knitting are also people who have other uses for rocking chairs (mobility impaired people may find them easier to stand from, parents with young children use them to rock their children to sleep, etc.)

Comments

• smoothyrus129smoothyrus129 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Not much help here, but I almost always had my glider locked in place instead of mobile, especially when I was knitting, because it's just a distraction and I also didn't want to worry about my yarn snagging on anything.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    I like to relax in a rocking chair, the movement is very calming. It‘s not just for knitting!
    a256aFi.gif
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,887 Member
    Snug arm chair with lots of cushion,good backrest and good armrests is the perfect knitting chair

chairs with no armrest or cushion or backrest are the worst for knitting chair
    (causing back pain and arms hurting/getting tired of holding up the work)

rocking chair could be good if it had enough cushion and armrests at perfect height and snug shape
    but they often are not very good for it due to lack of cushion and armrests possibly being at wrong height
    or not snug enough to support arms and back

I think it is just because rocking chairs been branded the ''elderly people chair'' that it also gets associated with knitting

since at least in my experience it is not very comfortable to knit in rocking chair
    and its extra annoying to pick up the yarn from floor when it rolls under rocking chair
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    edited March 2020
    I believe the rocking chair + knitting is kind of a myth. Old grannies in such a chair, and old granny was knitting. Not necessarily doing both at the same time, though. And, they did probably not have fifty chairs to choose from. Giving it some thought, I guess your body might stay warmer in a rocking chair, because your body is in movement, and if the granny is very old and not walking a lot during the day, perhaps the rocking could be see as an old fashions exercise machine? :). Those chairs were probably good for making a baby calm, too. Not saying that those old fashioned grannies had lots of babies, though, but perhaps they looked after the youngest while their mother was busy elsewhere.

I would get dizzy from knitting while in motion like that, but I guess it's possible getting used to it :)

Adding that I can't wait to see my granny sims knitting in such a chair :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    I like to relax in a rocking chair, the movement is very calming. It‘s not just for knitting!

That's great that you find it relaxing. As I said, my rocking chair, being wood and older than I am, isn't particularly comfortable (and wasn't even when I had the padding on it when my kid was a baby) so it's a glorified coat rack/cat bed that I don't use for knitting at all (unless you count leaving my craft bag on it for a month). I was just curious if there was any reality to the idea of knitting in a rocking chair, which appears to be a no - or at least not as much as the stereotype would have people believe.