Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Sims 4 got wrong and brings me back to Sims 3. Can still be fixed!

13...Next

Comments

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    The thing that drives me the most crazy about this, is while people say their sims interact with each other. Sure, they do. Do they remember it? Nope. The active sim does. The randoms? Nope. Go to a festival and see Bella and Eliza chitchatting like old buddies. Now go load one of their houses and check the relationship panel. Bella doesn't know Eliza even though you just saw them talking. :/

When the game first released they tried to address this, but it was done so poorly. People would rotate out, and when they came back, their sim would have all sorts of new romantic relationships, enemies, etc., even when they were completely inappropriate. This of course was a bit problematic for rotational players.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    The thing that drives me the most crazy about this, is while people say their sims interact with each other. Sure, they do. Do they remember it? Nope. The active sim does. The randoms? Nope. Go to a festival and see Bella and Eliza chitchatting like old buddies. Now go load one of their houses and check the relationship panel. Bella doesn't know Eliza even though you just saw them talking. :/

When the game first released they tried to address this, but it was done so poorly. People would rotate out, and when they came back, their sim would have all sorts of new romantic relationships, enemies, etc., even when they were completely inappropriate. This of course was a bit problematic for rotational players.
    Ugh 2015 the year of the incest bug. Those were dark times.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    edited February 2020
    @Scobre I don't think it's a bug. I believe they just removed the option as an entirety. If you use MCCC, you can still set romantic relationships between family members. It is mega cringe... :s
    wB2Zykl.jpg
    Hestia wrote: »
    @Scobre I don't think it's a bug. I believe they just removed the option as an entirety. If you use MCCC, you can still set romantic relationships between family members. It is mega cringe... :s
    Interesting. Good to know thanks @Hestia. Still bothers me how relationships between great grandchildren doesn't count as a family member. Whole relationship system needs a huge overhaul.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited February 2020
    Scobre wrote: »
    Interesting. Good to know thanks @Hestia. Still bothers me how relationships between great grandchildren doesn't count as a family member. Whole relationship system needs a huge overhaul.

Relationships are still messed up. Someone had their Sim's deceased child (a ghost) call up their parent and ask for a date over the phone. Just weird.

I can't say I'm surprised, given this game had no family trees at launch. Smarter Sims, and all that, right?
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    There are a lot of issues with Sims 4, and I am worried this may happen again if there is a sims 5. I have seen the same thing happen between Simcity 4 and Simcity 2013. First off, a lot of this has to do with the closed world. I have made a return to The Sims 3 and it has a strong sense of community. You can send sims to a neighbor's house while another sim goes to the park. There is more going on than just one lot at a time. You go to work and you see the coworkers going in. They go somewhere other than disappearing at the edge of the lot. In open worlds, you are allowed to explore and there are thousands of possibilities of where you can go. In the sims 4, you go to a lot and you are restricted to the lot and that community space within it.

Another big one is the emotion system. I find it overpowers the game. Sims rapidly cycle between varying emotions based on moodlets. I've said this many times and I will say it again. In the sims 4, sims are controlled by emotions and not personality. The personality system in the sims 4 is very weak and typically revolves around making a sim susceptible to certain emotions. It usually does not influence behaviors. In the sims 3, a neurotic person may feel nervous about the stove, can check it, and then receive a positive moodlet. Kind of like a little reward. Light sleepers will wake up fast when a burglar shows up. These things are rather small, but there is a lot of them. I've seen many simmers upset about TS4 becoming boring and I must be sympathetic with them.

Sims 4 seems to be rather soft compared to previous versions. There were things that were slightly chaotic, but in the end you could laugh at it. For example, burglars and repomen. Your house would be robbed/things taken and having these features made us take measures to prevent this. It adds a little chaos to the game, but isn't devastating nor irreversible. In the sims 4, your power goes out and then you just pay the bill, not much of a consequence. Also, I am noticing some political undertones & virtue signaling sneaking into the sims series. I strongly encourage an end to this. The sims is a good place to escape the poison of our society. Let's keep it out of our game. Please accept these points I mentioned as some constructive criticism.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member

In TS2 such conversations register. I have sims that when they started out knew only the welcome wagon sims. I exit that household for a while in course of rotational play. Come back to 1st house and the sims knows at some level seemingly half the sims on the planet. All through those sorts of interactions noted above.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    edited February 2020
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »

Relationships are still messed up. Someone had their Sim's deceased child (a ghost) call up their parent and ask for a date over the phone. Just weird.

I can't say I'm surprised, given this game had no family trees at launch. Smarter Sims, and all that, right?

I haven't encountered this issue (yet) but I also don't find it surprising because you can't set relationship values between an alive (Human) Sim and a Ghost Sim. Some unknown coding behind all that.
    Post edited by Hestia on
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member

In TS2 such conversations register. I have sims that when they started out knew only the welcome wagon sims. I exit that household for a while in course of rotational play. Come back to 1st house and the sims knows at some level seemingly half the sims on the planet. All through those sorts of interactions noted above.

I miss the older games so much. :'(
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    Great comments here. I keep wondering, what do the developers not understand? No matter how many "new activities" (with old animations) you give us--swimming with dolphins, or going camping, or watching movies--it is all going to be used up very quickly and return to feeling shallow. How many young adults/adults can I have go swimming in the ocean until this is just one more boring, repetitive activity? "Exploring worlds" is a very limited form of gameplay.

The way to fix this is to fix the base of the game, not continue adding new activities. Depth. Depth. Depth. Personalities should matter. Sims should feel different. That way, taking one Sim camping is a very different experience than taking another Sim camping. They should react differently, based on a wide variety of personality traits. They should react differently based on whom they go camping with because relationships--both kind and quality--should matter. Hanging out with your daughter should NOT FEEL THE SAME as hanging out with your spouse or friend. Adding new worlds or activities is all well and good, but without DEPTH, it provides very little.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Placebo7 wrote: »
    Great comments here. I keep wondering, what do the developers not understand? No matter how many "new activities" (with old animations) you give us--swimming with dolphins, or going camping, or watching movies--it is all going to be used up very quickly and return to feeling shallow. How many young adults/adults can I have go swimming in the ocean until this is just one more boring, repetitive activity? "Exploring worlds" is a very limited form of gameplay.

The way to fix this is to fix the base of the game, not continue adding new activities. Depth. Depth. Depth. Personalities should matter. Sims should feel different. That way, taking one Sim camping is a very different experience than taking another Sim camping. They should react differently, based on a wide variety of personality traits. They should react differently based on whom they go camping with because relationships--both kind and quality--should matter. Hanging out with your daughter should NOT FEEL THE SAME as hanging out with your spouse or friend. Adding new worlds or activities is all well and good, but without DEPTH, it provides very little.

I couldn't have said it better myself. 👏
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Vermatrix1Vermatrix1 Posts: 35 Member
    I think a lot of people are hoping for a Sims 5 with the hope that it will be done as a Sims 3 reboot but I highly doubt that would be the case. If there was to be a Sims 5 at some point down the road, my thought is that it would just be Sims 4 with a few extra functions and a lot of negative changes, like Sims 4 was when it was released.

As far as fixing the many problems Sims 4 has, a lot of it was by design so we're stuck with it like the districts with the tsunami of loading screens instead of the open world concept. If they do decide on a Sims 5 at some point, the best idea would be to not do even the tiniest scrap of programming on it without polling the fan base, get the player's perspective, and making it based on what we the customer want, not what sounds good on paper, after all, anything can sound great on paper, in reality, ehhh, not so much.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member

I don't think they can fix the base game at this point... I think it's a very rigid engine design.

In all of the EP, SP, patches, ETC they've never fixed or truly changed the pre-existing parts of the base game.
    raw
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    Vermatrix1 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are hoping for a Sims 5 with the hope that it will be done as a Sims 3 reboot but I highly doubt that would be the case.

I think the general consensus is for a mix of TS2 and TS3 gameplay, but with the UI improvements TS4 brought to the table.

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I'm noticing in my worlds that my own Sims turn up at the bars etc. That's because I am completely filling all the worlds with my own Sims and binning all the ones in the families given. It's taken several years though to amass those households and houses.
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    edited February 2020
    The way I see it, The Sims 4 is like a toy, like a dollhouse. There are very few opportunities for immersion; everything feels like a play in which your Sims are the main characters and the world revolves around them. In The Sims 3, your Sims are part of a much larger ecosystem and the town functions as a whole. This made the game so much engaging for me. Not to mention the lack of unique personalities and traits that actually do something, the result is a like playing with dolls rather than playing an open ended life simulation game.
    Post edited by Naus on
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Naus wrote: »
    The way I see it, The Sims 4 is like a toy, like a dollhouse. There are very few opportunities for immersion; everything feels like a play in which your Sims are the main characters and the world revolves around them. In The Sims 3, your Sims are part of a much larger ecosystem and the town functions as a whole. This made the game so much engaging for me. Not to mention the lack of unique personalities and traits that actually do something, the result is a like playing with dolls rather than playing an open ended life simulation game.

I agree as I do not have the same spirit I had playing the older editions when it comes to Sims 4. It is my feeling that Sims 4 was short changed and the Developers knew and took an gamble dealing with the name and not with what made Sims fun. I had not played Sims 4 for almost an year even with the new packs it is not as exciting as it was with older editions before release and after release. Some may think Sims is still an cash cow but I see it differently as it is not the cash cow it used to be and if each new version goes the route that Sims 4 went it will end up like Sim City 2013.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Evil_One wrote: »

I don't think they can fix the base game at this point... I think it's a very rigid engine design.

In all of the EP, SP, patches, ETC they've never fixed or truly changed the pre-existing parts of the base game.

I agree as EA/Maxis never bothered to fix or tweak much before releasing an new pack and just kept on adding and adding. The base game for me was an complete bore anyway as it had nothing to make me want to play. Each pack seems superficial and to be honest the only pack I like is GT. CL too restrictive as well as other packs and Self creativity took an big hit. I want to believe EA/Maxis wants to get that money before cutting the cord. They gave the same illusion with Sim City 2013 and I saw how that went, so sad.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited February 2020
    The Sims 4 have huge problems beyond the lack of open world. In The Sims 2 I don't miss open world somehow but with The Sims 4 I do! The game is basically too shallow and just puts graphics and performance over everything. Maybe they are happy with it but personally I just gave up! I just figured out that I will never be fan of The Sims 4.
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    You know looking back when the Sims 4 was first designed or suggested within Maxis to be more online, I think some of that mentality stuck through development where if this game WAS a social online game where you play your own sim then in a sense you dictate your own sims behavior as YOU play vs how another player plays theres. I believe this will BE part of the Sims 5 if they go online with it too.

However once you removed that aspect and seclude the game in a closed world of premade sims - they suddenly have no personality because it wasn't planned that way. They leaned back on the emotion system to provide that, but by not adding emotional base states you could pick for your sims at least it basically made all your sims the same. All that traits do is provide environment buffs to those emotions.

I think they probably decided to remake the Sims 4 into a new type of Sims game, using a few old ideas but it has a lot of features that are very limited which is either by design to increase performance or they over relied on some features to replace older ones.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Renato10 wrote: »
    The Sims 4 have huge problems beyond the lack of open world. In The Sims 2 I don't miss open world somehow but with The Sims 4 I do! The game is basically too shallow and just puts graphics and performance over everything. Maybe they are happy with it but personally I just gave up! I just figured out that I will never be fan of The Sims 4.
    I do miss open world in Sims 2 as well, won’t lie, it’s apparently that important to me. It’s just that where Sims 3 makes up for lacking details and more complex personalities by adding freedom, options and customizability, Sims 2 makes up for time not continuing and the one lot situation by superior sims and foresaid details. Sims 4 doesn’t make up for its shortcomings and sacrifices in any way. Everything people praise (multitasking, emotions) actually is part of the problem, not a quality. Because it’s poorly done.
    5JZ57S6.png
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    You know looking back when the Sims 4 was first designed or suggested within Maxis to be more online, I think some of that mentality stuck through development where if this game WAS a social online game where you play your own sim then in a sense you dictate your own sims behavior as YOU play vs how another player plays theres. I believe this will BE part of the Sims 5 if they go online with it too.

However once you removed that aspect and seclude the game in a closed world of premade sims - they suddenly have no personality because it wasn't planned that way. They leaned back on the emotion system to provide that, but by not adding emotional base states you could pick for your sims at least it basically made all your sims the same. All that traits do is provide environment buffs to those emotions.

I think they probably decided to remake the Sims 4 into a new type of Sims game, using a few old ideas but it has a lot of features that are very limited which is either by design to increase performance or they over relied on some features to replace older ones.
    I agree with this. I don't think the focus has changed either. Simmers were supposed to give personality through chat and I think why the default emotion is happy.

There is plenty of evidence of it being an online game too between a Guru confirming it and
    This:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsx-pgwMYew

This:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAPuMqOmBzY

and Simmers were able to unlock the multiplayer features and make this mod:
    https://www.sims-multiplayer.com/