Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Knitting Gameplay Questions for the Community!

Comments

• SpiddermouseSpiddermouse Posts: 23 Member
    Q5: I think sims should be able to knit while standing but it should be uncomfortable to stand a long time. So maybe energy could decay faster and they could get a uncomfortable moodlet if they stand to long.
    Q6&Q10: I would love it if sims could mentor knitting, it would be really cute if a hobby or craft could be passed through generations. I hope this would be more than just an option to mentor and will include some unique interactions and animations. I would like the first interaction to not be autonomous. But once two sims established a knitting “relationship” mentoring could be autonomous.
    Q7: I really like the idea of etsy and charity in gameplay. I would also like something like ravelry in the game, where patterns are shared or a sim can get inspired.
    Q8: an itchy or ugly low quality sweater could can lead to an itchy, uncomfortable or embarrassed moodlet. Sims might get a rash. There is a trick to get rid of the itchiness by washing the sweater in conditioner and then putting it in a freezer overnight. Maybe sims could use that trick too?
  • Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited March 2020
    A1: I love and strongly recommend crosspack functionality in all packs. I don't want fame from knitting, but an elective at university should be considered. If we can make a knitting club please update the icons we can choose for clubs!

A2: I'd be okay with this.

A3: My Sims should be able to knit at the desk (49&50), in the new rocking chair, every chair, armchair, bench and sofa available in the game.

A4: Knitting should take some time and be something Sims can save for later and come back to.

A5: I'd prefer my Sims to sit while knitting.

A6: An interaction where adults/elders can teach children how to knit would be perfect. The elder person could sit in a rocking chair/chair/armchair and the little one could watch. After some time they would take out some yarn and try to knit in the chair and the elder Sim would watch them and talk to them.

A7: Selling craftable things online is a great idea! I didn't sell, but buy some stuff myself. It was such an excitement until the stuff arrived in the mail and I was very happy when I held the result in my hands.

A8: Itchy sweaters should give them a mild "uncomfortable" moodlet but the Sim who gifted it should get a strong "happy" moodlet.

A9: Sorry, I don't knit myself.

A10: The “Teach to Knit” interaction should not be autonomous. That's something I want my Sims to do "willingly". I want to have control over who will be able to knit in a household. Being autonomous knitting could turn into a "disease", but I want it to be something fun. By the way please make knitting raise the Sims' fun bar.
    Post edited by Erja888 on
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Q1: Crosspack! I’m planning on making Knitting compatible with things like Get to Work Retail Lots (including Mannequins!), Get Together’s Club Rules, and City LIving’s Yard Sale Table. What else would provide fun crosspack functionality? For example, should knitting provide Fame in some way?

Lots of good responses already - I don't mind sims gaining fame from knitting, but really it should only be if they sell what they knit themselves, similar to painting.
    Another idea that I haven't seen mentioned though: Strangerville. You need to eavesdrop on other sims. If you knit in public (at the bar/the library in Strangerville) what if you can eavesdrop on other sims and they're not paying attention to you? That could be a way to get information for the Strangerville Mystery.

Q2: If some “Crochet-Like” objects became craftable through Knitting, how would you personally feel? Happy? Enraged? Strong sense of ennui? We can’t guarantee unique animations for crocheting, but I’d like to still potentially provide them as a craftable object for players.

I don't care.

Q3: There’s a cool crafty desk floating around in concept art that you guys may have seen (49 - 52 in the object vote). What would knitting at one of these desks mean to you, if anything? Asking around the office, nobody knits at a desk, but I’m curious if anyone would find value if the new crafting desk tied in with knitting somehow.

I don't care - but the desk could be used to store stuff?

Q4: I’d like Knitting to actually take some time to craft, something Sims can save for later and come back to. In your experience, how long have some of your knitting projects taken? I’ll try not to make it feel too grindy, but definitely longer than it takes to paint in our game.

Anywhere from a few weeks to a few years. I know some people like bigger projects to take a while because the point isn't the product, but the act of knitting.

Q5: If your Sim wanted to knit something, but they couldn't find a place to sit, would you be okay with them standing up and knitting? Asking for a friend...

Can't they sit on the ground? I never knit standing up because of the yarn, but I guess I wouldn't mind if they did it in the game.

Q6: Along with the Mentor interaction, I’d like to include a proper “Teach to Knit” interaction. I’d love to have that moment where the Knitting Master granny teaches their grandchild how to knit. For those of you who experienced similar things, what was that experience like for you? I’m curious what people think this should look like - both animation and story wise.

So none of my grandmothers knit, I learned from friends in college. There was a lot of patience just with teaching me how to hold the needles, telling what to do when I dropped stitches, etc. I also just grabbed a skill book and learned from that, which helped supplement what my friends taught me.

Q7: I’d like to have some Etsy store-like gameplay, as well as donation gameplay with Knitting. For those of you who may have gone down those paths in real life, what were some interesting takeaways or stories you’d like to see represented?

I haven't done this in real life, I don't know how to answer this. Instead of learning to knit could people just buy the knitted items from "etsy" or whatever/the computer? Or could there be disreputable sellers who take the money and then don't send anything over? Could our sims be diresputable and say they're selling things just to get money, and then don't? Maybe just mean or evil sims?

Q8: Lets say a Sim is wearing an awful, itchy sweater that they’re wearing only because somebody gifted it for them. What kind of things would you like to see happen to them?

Uncomfortable moodlets for them, perhaps anger towards the person who knitted it? Maybe embarrassed too? The other person should be happy? Maybe upset if they take it off or are confronted by the person who has to wear the embarrassing sweater? What if it was an evil sim who wanted them to feel pain?

Q9: I need your best Knitting puns. Feed them to me.

Tight knit group
    Proper Yarn
    I saw a guy knitting while driving the other day. "Pull over!" I told him. He looked back at me and said, "No, it's a sweater."
    I used the wrong color yarn when I was knitting a scarf... Oops, wrong thread.
    I don't understand round knitting needles. They seem pointless.
    My mom knows a lot of good knitting jokes. She's a real knit-wit.

Q10: This is my biggest question, so I saved it for last. Should the “Teach to Knit” interaction mentioned above be autonomous? While this might sound trivial, I feel this is very important for gameplay. I’m interested how people would feel about their level 10 knitter trying to spread their knitting knowledge on others. Let's say you have someone in your family who is a level 10 knitter, if this interaction is autonomous the entire house is going to get a real deep dive into knitting, perhaps constantly.

What are your thoughts on potentially “story intrusive” interactions like this, would you be okay to find your family one day all high-level knitters through natural autonomy? Or should this only be user-directed, meaning on you have the ability to choose who gets schooled on knitting. I’d love to hear your thoughts about these sorts of things.

Could you do this with townies, or people who aren't in active households? It would be cool to see others learning or being taught how to knit when I'm out in public, but that way I wouldn't worry about my sims learning to knit if I didn't want them to.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • Minty1992Minty1992 Posts: 616 Member
    edited March 2020
    Q1: Base Game - use the traits. Clumsy sims could get tangled up in wool/yarn. Snobs could hate items made foir them becuase they weren't brought from a highend/designer shop. Family-Orinated sims could get whims to make stuff for family members. Ambitious/Creative sims can make better quailty stuff in a shorter time. University - study knitting or use knitting to help with any art degrees. Seasons - make knitted sweaters for christmas, maybe you could make a new tradition to make jumpers. Get Famous - If you wanted to include it in fame you could combine it with the streaming/video editing table and create knitting videos for your followers. Cats and Dogs - make clothing for pets. City living - have it fully compatable with the flee market. Get to work - fully compatable with businesses/shops. Maybe use some knitwear as uniforms? Get Together - Clubs, Actions that clubs do or actions that clubs avoid. Outdoor Retreat - Knit around a campfire. Parenthood - teach your kids/grandkids to knit. Realm of magic - use spells on crafted clothes to make them 'never itchy' or curse sims so their current knitting project goes wrong, or bless sims so they learn faster for a short period of time. You cloud have witchs cast a spell on the knitting needles to self-knit.

Q2:
    I wouldn't be upset if "Crochet-Like” were included, I'd be upset if they weren't.

Q3: It would be more realistic to sit and knit. A desk for knitting makes no sense. An embroidery table would make more sense. Maybe you could 'personalise an item' or 'improve quality of item' with an embroidery desk? Maybe in doing so could improve quality and price of the item/clothing you've made.

(Edit)
    Do you mean the big bulky table in the bottom of the sample pic? I just thought those were counters with decorative items on them. Just what we need another big bulky item like the cupcake machine or telescope that we can't fit anywhere.
    ts4-vote-stuffpacksurvey2.jpg.adapt.1456w.jpg

Q4: No more than two days. The life states aren't very long and it'd be stupid to waste half/all of that life state to make one item. I know you can extend life or stop aging but there are those of us (like me) who like/prefer to play with normal life spans.

Q5: Yes I like this idea. Maybe not stand staic and knit maybe a little bit of walking around too. We got the option in cats and dogs to take our dogs fo a walk. It would be nice to have the option to send our sims out to walk and knit.

Q6: I really like this idea. the sims is a multi-generation life simulator so it's great that their are already ideas about different generations passing down the knowledge that they've learnt.

Q7: I've never used etsy so wouldn't know but i like the idea of selling items through your computer, but I don't think this should onnly be for knitting. If this feature gets added than it should also include paintings, wood/crafted items, collectables etc.

Q8: You could probably have moodlets appear depending on the sim. Like a good sim would have a positive moodlet like 'it's worth the itchiness' and positive social interections like 'show off my new jumper' or be able to compliment the sim who made the clothing, while a mean sim could have a negative moodlet like 'why am i wearing this?' and have negative social interactions like complain to others about clothing and tell the sims who made it what they truly think. You could include a negative moodlet like 'i'm itchy' that causes sims to scratch themselves, with the timelimit depending on the quality of the item. maybe sims with the insane trait could get a positve moodlet like 'I enjoy the itchyness'??

Q9: People that hand make wool sweaters are part of a tight knit group.

I've just started knitting for the Mafia, they call me Scarf Ace

Woman driving along the road while knitting. Cop rolls down his window and shouts "Pullover maam"! Woman shouts back, "no actually, its a scarf."

Wool you just let me knit in peace?

This sim can be wooed with yarn and chocolate.

Money can’t buy happiness, but it can purchase Yarn which is kind of the same thing isn’t it?

I Knit, what’s your Superpower?

I’m working on my Ph.D (Projects Half Done) in Knitting

Housework is for those who don’t know how to knit.

I have seen things. Horrible things. Empty yarn cupboard things.

Q10: I like the idea but I don't think it would work. The sims 4 just isn't great when it comes to story progession for the neighbourhood, so this would be a wasted effort to do. If story progression was improved (or completely revamped) and made better than I think this would be great, you could go to the park and see neighbours teaching eachother, maybe mortimer goth is theaching the neighbourhood kids to knit. I love that idea, but lets be honest in terms of stuff like this sims 4 always falls short, and I feel like if this feature is added in with how the gameplay is now than it would just affect the current active household and not really add anything to to gamne overall. Like I said that I like your idea for this but previous animators and gameplay designers haven't pulled their weight and ruined the game so great ideas like this wouldn't be an easy thing to add into the game.
    cropped-title-screen-1.png
    My Disney Legacy!

• AlistuAlistu Posts: 742 Member
    Q1: Perhaps knitters could have the option to sell their creations to a world famous design house which could raise fame if their designs were accepted.

Q2: I can honestly say I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference so one animation for all is fine by me.

Q3: I can't see knitting at a desk really working. Surely it would just get in the way? I have been known to knit a little when I was younger and I always sat on the sofa.

Q4: I've only ever attempted to knit a blanket created from small knitted squares stitched together. I must have started that nearly 20 years ago and it still isn't finished to this day. Although I think most would say it has been abandoned by now. It certainly shouldn't take all of the Teen lifespan on Long to create a single item. I would say the bigger or more expensive the item, the longer it should take.

Q5: I feel that since Sims are able to kneel to read or do homework, I would expect them to kneel down to knit if there are no seats rather than just standing there. Although I have seen at least one response saying that it is historically accurate to knit standing up and I guess Mrs. Crumplebottom used to do it in the days of TS2.

Q6: When my grandma taught me to knit we would sit side-by-side on the sofa and I would follow along with her actions to copy what she was doing.

Q7: I've never had an Etsy. Perhaps if Sims make enough sales this could be a way to tie Fame into it?

Q8: There should be visual scratching animations, maybe use the same ones from the fireleaf plant from OR? Perhaps a reddened skin overlay? They should certainly receive an uncomfortable buff for the duration of the time they are wearing the garment that maybe lasts for a short while after the clothing is removed. Taking a bath or using the Spa Day soaks (cross pack play) could relieve the itching.

Q9: Sorry, you're going to have to go hungry. I don't do puns. I lose the thread too easily.

Q10: Nope. No autonomous teaching of knitting. You could include a Whim to teach other Sims which could show a Sims' desire without forcing it on the player. (Remember Whims? Some of us players still like them in the game and wish they would be updated and fixed where needed instead of forgotten about.) I might want to play a granny who loves knitting but the rest of her family can't stand it so I certainly wouldn't want to come back to them to find they had all had the skill forced onto them.

While we are talking about skills and teaching/learning may I request that the knitting skill be added to the Away Actions of a Sim when the playable Sim has left others alone at the home Lot? Really, this seems like a forgotton part of gameplay since I don't recall any skills other than the base game ones being available through that menu.
    a.k.a. Menaceman44 on MTS.
    Thoughts on a new wall mode?
  • Minty1992Minty1992 Posts: 616 Member
    Another idea that I haven't seen mentioned though: Strangerville. You need to eavesdrop on other sims. If you knit in public (at the bar/the library in Strangerville) what if you can eavesdrop on other sims and they're not paying attention to you? That could be a way to get information for the Strangerville Mystery. [/b]

I love this idea! your knitting club could also solve mysteries! <3

cropped-title-screen-1.png
    My Disney Legacy!

• Kitty_FrostpawsKitty_Frostpaws Posts: 1 New Member
    Q1. I would love to see the knitting as being compatible with all the packs possible. That would be awesome!

Q2. I crochet so I wouldn’t mind whatsoever.

Q3. I’d love to be able to knit at those tables.

Q4. Hmm that’s a tricky question. Some things take an hour, others can take days. Depends often on yarn used for the project and on what said project is. Hat vs blanket for example.

Q5. I personally always sit when crocheting but I’d tolerate it if I had to stand in game to do it.

Q6. My grandma thought me to knit when I was young. I’d love the mentoring thing. For me, since I wasn’t very quick at learning, it was a bit frustrating at first but as soon as I caught on it was much easier.

Q7. I’d be up for both ideas (selling + donating) but I have no experience with either.

Q8. I will never ever make stuff with wool because it makes me itchy. Unless I was giving it as a mean gift I just wouldn’t. lol

Q9. We're part of a tight knit group.

Q10. I would say that it would only be valid if they were :) mentored. If they were not though, then I wouldn’t make then level up faster.
  • ivetkaivetka Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi everyone! This is my very first post here. I'm very excited for the new SP! Here's what I think:

Q1: yes to cross-pack compatibility obviously. I'd love to be able to sell my knits. I don't link knitting and fame, so I don't think it's necessary. I think it would be nice to have an online store where you could or could not make a profit. But i think online stores should be able to sell all craftable items in the game.

Q2: yes to crocheting.

Q3: i think the desk could be used for knitting, why not. maybe the desk could store crafted/knitted items as well as be used as a work station. will we need to gather certain materials for our items? i think i'd be fun to incorporate harvestables and collectables in the items we make. imagine having to harvest strawberries in order to make that plant with the strawberries. that would bring more of that sims quirkiness we love.

Q4: yes, knitting should take time - like writing music. my grandmas used to knit vests and slippers. it would take them from a couple of hours to a couple of days, but not too long. definitely longer than painting. knitting was a means to relax and have some quiet time for my grandmas.

Q5: please include being able to sit on beds and knit. i personally find it weird knitting standing up. after all it will take some time and should be a me time experience.

Q6: i loved it when my grandma taught me to knit. i'd make simple rectangles while she made a vest. it was an opportunity for us to bond, wind down from me playing all day. i was a nice activity back then, and now it's a nice memory - something our sims unfortunately don't have.

Q7: as i mentioned above, i think an online store would be a great idea. donation would also be an amazing gameplay feature. donation to the poor, to children in need, to charity sales - making a positive impact is cool!

Q8: my skin gets irritated a bit when i wear itchy clothes. i feel slightly uncomfortable but i really don't care because i love that i am wearing something that someone made for me. maybe do an animation where they scratch their arm or back. i don't want my sims to be hugely impacted by wearing an itchy sweater. let's have the best of both worlds - acknowledge it's itchy but love that it's a personalized gift. also, different characters could react differently to such a piece. hot headed sims could hate it, while family oriented sims could love it. let's amp up the roe of traits!

Q10: yes to autonomous teaching but only after a higher skill level. however, i don't want my sims chasing around others all the time. it should depend on the traits of the sim. also, not everyone should want to be taught. all in all, i say yes to this question but i don't think the feature should be too pervasive.

Now i'll read what y'all said. I didn't want to be influenced before i wrote my opinion. Have a good day everyone! Sul sul. :)
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    edited March 2020
    Q1: Crosspack! I’m planning on making Knitting compatible with things like Get to Work Retail Lots (including Mannequins!), Get Together’s Club Rules, and City LIving’s Yard Sale Table. What else would provide fun crosspack functionality?

The club actions and retail compatibility are the main thing I am looking for with regard to the existing packs. How about donating knitted goods to charity via the mailbox? Hospitals often ask for knitted items for elderly people, babies, cancer patients...you get the idea. That could help with the Scout badge that relates to donating items and perhaps it could be linked to the Parenthood traits. It could also perhaps lead to fame. I would like to see knitted clothing made part of the Cold Weather outfits by default, where appropriate. Another thing I would like is for knitting to build fun. I had to download a mod to make practising magic fun.

Q2: If some “Crochet-Like” objects became craftable through Knitting, how would you personally feel? Happy? Enraged? Strong sense of ennui? We can’t guarantee unique animations for crocheting, but I’d like to still potentially provide them as a craftable object for players.

I'm cool with that. Anything that adds more options is a good thing in my book. Could we have pompom chicks? It's not knitting or crochet but I had lots of fun doing it as a kid.

Q3: There’s a cool crafty desk floating around in concept art that you guys may have seen (49 - 52 in the object vote). What would knitting at one of these desks mean to you, if anything? Asking around the office, nobody knits at a desk, but I’m curious if anyone would find value if the new crafting desk tied in with knitting somehow.

I don't knit but I always picture knitting taking place in an armchair or sofa but I wouldn't have an issue with the sim sitting at a table as an alternative.

Q4: I’d like Knitting to actually take some time to craft, something Sims can save for later and come back to. In your experience, how long have some of your knitting projects taken? I’ll try not to make it feel too grindy, but definitely longer than it takes to paint in our game.

I think knitting projects should take a different length of time depending on the size and complexity of the project and perhaps also the skill level of the sim.

Q5: If your Sim wanted to knit something, but they couldn't find a place to sit, would you be okay with them standing up and knitting?

Not really a fan, I have to admit.

Q6: Along with the Mentor interaction, I’d like to include a proper “Teach to Knit” interaction.

I can't speak from personal experience because I'm pretty sure I gave up trying very quickly as a child but I think all sims from teen upwards with a certain degree of skill should be able to teach other sims to knit, including children.

Q7: I’d like to have some Etsy store-like gameplay, as well as donation gameplay with Knitting. For those of you who may have gone down those paths in real life, what were some interesting takeaways or stories you’d like to see represented?

I mentioned above about donating via the mailbox. When I was a child there was some kind of drive to knit mice for the school, who were donating them to some kind of charity. I know my grandmother made loads.

Q8: Lets say a Sim is wearing an awful, itchy sweater that they’re wearing only because somebody gifted it for them. What kind of things would you like to see happen to them?

They should get an uncomfortable moodlet for as long as they wear the item. The sim who knitted the object should be happy to see them wearing it, and get a moodlet in return.

Stick 'em with the pointy end :wink: Sorry, I don't know any knitting jokes.

Q10: This is my biggest question, so I saved it for last. Should the “Teach to Knit” interaction mentioned above be autonomous?

I think knitting should be an autonomous fun activity for sims who have at least one level in the skill, and will make a fun change from sims obsessively watching TV or playing computer games, but I think that starting off the skill should be the player's choice, and so should teaching a sim to learn to knit. It bothers me when visitors to my sim's house will randomly start painting. However, I would make club gatherings the exception to this so sims can knit with their friends.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • sweetliljasweetlilja Posts: 39 Member
    Q1
    Your suggestions are good. These are mine as addition.

Make knitting compatible with Parenthood. Knitting children could get help with some of their values.

Also if you could make it compatible with spa day and make them be able to do a special mindful knitting if having enough skill in meditation.

I would LOVE to see some compatibility with our first community stuffpack. Just because they are siblings somehow. Maybe be able to wash wool knitted things and they might size down. Could be really fun.

I would like to see if you get family that visit you, if they do knitting, they might show up with a gift.

I would like to get compatibility with Seasons also, to be able to get or add them as gifts on a gifting tradition Holliday. And maybe kids won't be too happy if they get knitted socks or sweater instead of toys.

Q2
    It would of course be best with animations, but if it won't I won't be angry if craftable items like that makes it in anyway. But maybe it's a bit better to focus on real knitted objects instead. Maybe there are objects that could be great to have just like normal objects too otherwise. I am not super decided on this question so I feel it shouldn't count so much when you make your decision.

Q3
    I want to be able to knit in any sofa or chair, also these lounge chair that came with island living. So if they sit and knit in the chair by that table, just make sure it won't be the only place. Also, in the rocking chair.

Q4
    That's a great idea, could be good to be able to have your in progress knitting things in inventory so they could work with it anywhere like books. I think time could be dependent on size, patterns and skill. Some objects may not take so long as others. But I don't have so much experience with how long it takes IRL.

Q5
    It might work for some traits, but I do believe it would be more realistic if most of them sit on the floor/ground and knit if they want, instead of standing.

Q6, Q7, Q9
    I don't know, sorry, I guess many others will have great ideas.

Q8
    I would like to see some different things that might happen depending on traits. It might be so that an evil (and some other) sim will make fun of the sim in ugly sweater. It might also be gun to see if they will get itching animations and irritated animations. A whim to change clothes might show up. Some Sims could love the sweater and get a happy moodlet (like fruitcakelove sims).

Q10
    I would prefer to see this in a hobbies/interests expansion pack and make the really enthusiastic and high level skill sims do this on their interest skills. It would be better to get that for all skills. And instead focus on other gameplay for this pack. Just thoughts...
  • MagicalTrevorMagicalTrevor Posts: 1 New Member
    Q1: Knitting warm sweaters/hats for Seasons.

Q2: I would love to have crocheting aswell, that and knitting goes hand in hand in my opinion.

Q3: I think you should be able to knit at the table. And maybe have an interaction where the sim plans out their next project.

Q4: It should take longer than other crafts in game. I've been working on the same scarf for months now (not saying it should take months). Not much time and big projects is a reality for a lot of knitters.

Q5: I would be okay, but would rather want them sitting on the floor, as that is what I would do.

Q6: For me it has been a lot of fun being taught to knit. As for animation ideas I'm not to sure what would be best.

Q7: -

Q8: They should be uncomfortable and scratch their arms/stomach/back.

Q9: I do knit know any puns.

Q10: It doesn't matter for me.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited March 2020
    Q1. I love it when packs crossover with others. Hope it crosses with Seasons when you can knit a winterfest gift as sims will appreciate more handcrafted gifts. Also for University hope knitting can be added to the list of skill classes you can go and take as well. Also I think Parenthood would also be a good pack for this to when teaching younger sims how to knit and pass on that skill.

Q2. I'd like to see more craftable objects for sure. Also, if posisble would like to see babies be able to be placed in knitted onesies.

Q3. Seeing sims knitting at a desk would be great in just having more options whether they're doing it on a couch, in a rocking chair or just standing up. My mom likes laying out a lot of her stuff on the table and working on crocheting blankets.

Q4. I do like a sense of progression without feelign too terribly grinding, but for my sims to just come back later to their project to work on it another day.

Q5.
    THEY SHALL BE FORCED TO KNIT STANDING UP WHILE WORKING AWAY IN MY SIMS BASEMENT.

Q6. Definitely would like to see a different type of animation for mentoring with knitting compared to the usual rinse and repeat.

Q7. Actually like the thought of sims being able to sell any of their craftables online and maybe even getting reviews on them depending on the quality. Also would like sims to physically be able to go to their mail box to send it to them. Also, maybe even sending such items to friends or relatives as a gift as well?

Q8. Sims getting a rash the longer they wear itchy sweater. Scratching themselves, scratching themselves against a tree like a bear or just rolling around on the floor because it itches soooo bad. Also...you know just throwing it out there itchy sweaters are probably REALLLLY flammable. Ya know jus' sayin. :*

Q9.
    Yes....yes this is what I am for.

-Knit happens
    -Wool you just put a sock in it?!
    -You're a knit whit.
    -You are knit-terally the worse.
    -You've got to be knitting me.
    -No way crochet~

Q10. Personally I'd love to see this as it makes me feel like I don't always have to direct sims to do things and would like to see sims teaching over sims, well if other sims seem to show an interest in it. Or maybe just autonomously teaching it to younger sims? Why I would like sims to have interests to what they may and may not like.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • simplydawnsimplydawn Posts: 181 Member
    Thank you for the opportunity to weigh in. I'll try to be brief...

Q1: BG - coasters, doilies, table runners, belts, bracelets/anklets, socks, slippers, wall art, oven mitts, decorative blankets/throws, pillows we can place on sofas & beds; C&D - sweaters, booties & beds for pets; Seasons - obvious answers here with hats, mittens, scarves, also ear muffs, headbands/ear warmers, tree skirts, holiday stockings; DU - hacky sacks; TS - stuffed animals & toys, maybe doll clothes

Q2: Crochet-like items would not bother me at all. Neither would macramé.

Q3: As I've never knitted in real life, not sure I'm qualified to answer.

Q4: Again, I've never knitted.

Q5: Standing might look awkward but it wouldn't bother me.

Q6: See previous answers regarding never having knitted.

Q7: Never knitted, never used Etsy.

Q8: Moodlet, visible discomfort, skin can become inflamed, smoke lol (sorry), maybe a rash. I can see passage of time, applying a lotion (tie to OR herbalism skill) or aloe, showering or bathing to soothe the discomfort.

Q9: Google, reddit, etc., would be a better resource than I.

Q10: Autonomous mentoring might be funny & realistic of it can be coded to only happen occasionally & not all the time. I think it would be cute. Maybe also offer a corresponding option of unwilling students having a right of refusal? And maybe newer knitters/younger Sims could request mentoring which could make them learn faster as opposed to learning slower if self-taught.

I'm not opposed to “story intrusive” interactions as long as there's a way to cancel; maybe also offer traits & counter-traits (loves/hates to knit), even if a hidden trait. Might also be funny if clumsy Sims and new knitters mess up projects with low-level skill.

Not a lot, but I hope you found something of use.
  • TynynounoursbioTynynounoursbio Posts: 3 New Member
    Q1: Fame; yes. there are lot of knitting streamer/youtuber for exemple, so it needs to be streamable with the drone. Maybe it can also appears as one of Island Living jobs (being taught or having an item done)? Why not a tie-in with laundry stuff, with sometimes a program error.

Q2: Crochet is a different skill, but I wouldn't mind it too much. Better if it can be a different animation and/or the items that can be done are different. But it wouldn't be the weirdest thing in the sims.

Q3: I don't usually knit/crochet on a desk. any comfortable (or not) seat is good. But it is usefull with large item (blanket/rug)

Q4: Some items can be done in 30minutes (smalls + with experience). Others take days/weeks. Highter level can usually knit quicker.

Q5: It's possible to crochet/knit while standing (and even walking), but quickly uncomfortable. I would not recommand making it possible to do it autonomously. I think imposing to seat is better.

Q6: Teach to knit could have 2 way. Best way is showing how to, so maybe sitting on a seat next to each other, and both knitting. (even if it doesn't result in an item) But giving advice from the side, like for the usual mentoring could work.

Q7: I give away to friends/family. It could be a good "mailbox birthday gift" too. I would also feel it good to give them away to charities.

Q8: Lets say a Sim is wearing an awful, itchy sweater...
    I suppose they would have a

Q9: I don't know any...

Q10: Autonomous "teach to knit" should be only if someone is already knitting (Like homework). Not asking someone who is already busy, or having it pop-up during a talk.
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Q1 No, to people becoming famous for knitting. But cats and dogs being able to mess up a knitting basket would be good. Definitely Sims should be able to knit while watching television.
    Q2 Unless you plan to implement a crochet animation, I can't see the point (or hook).
    Q3 Knitting at the desk sounds odd.
    Q4 Sweaters and blankets (or rugs) should take more time than a scarf or hat.
    Q5 No to standing up. And I can't see it being done while sitting on the floor -- just think of the dust you'd pick up.
    Q6 I learned from my grandmother when I was about 7, and yes it was a good experience. I didn't actually make anything, though, just a square of cloth.
    Q7 Online sales could also work for paintings and woodworked items. You could have the option to mark things up or put them on sale.
    Q8 Maybe combine with the scratching animation and rash from Get to Work? Or sneezing. An option to change to something less scratchy?
    Q9 Cables are a knitting term. "Did you make that sweater while watching cable TV?" And the British term for sweater is jumper, so you could do something with jumper cables. But don't feel you have to.
    Q10 No to making "teach to knit" autonomous.

Great questions, by the way!
  • sweetliljasweetlilja Posts: 39 Member
    Oh forgot the most important crosspack thing! Cats + Yarn = True! Cats and kittens should play with yarn. Toddlers too. 😊
  • PerunaPeruna Posts: 101 Member
    Q1: Crosspack! I’m planning on making Knitting compatible with things like Get to Work Retail Lots (including Mannequins!), Get Together’s Club Rules, and City LIving’s Yard Sale Table. What else would provide fun crosspack functionality?
    No particular opinion on this.

Unique animations would be the best, but if it's just not feasible then I don't mind knitting and crocheting sharing animations/crocheting things being available through knitting.

Knitting on other sittable objects (sofas, chairs, loungers, rocking chair) would be best, but nothing wrong with it also being available at a desk. Just as long as the desks aren't the only places sims can knit!

Depends on the object! A small plushie or a doily would not take as much time to craft as, say, a knit sweater or a cardigan. And the difficulty/complexity of the item and the skill level of the sim should also have a factor. I like the idea that sims could put the projects in their inventory and continue them whenever!

Q5: If your Sim wanted to knit something, but they couldn't find a place to sit, would you be okay with them standing up and knitting? Asking for a friend...
    As someone said above, I think it would make more sense for the sim (depending on traits) to sit down on the floor than knit standing. I've never seen anyone knit standing, but I guess it's not completely out of the question? Where would the yarn come from, though?

Q6: Along with the Mentor interaction, I’d like to include a proper “Teach to Knit” interaction. I’d love to have that moment where the Knitting Master granny teaches their grandchild how to knit. For those of you who experienced similar things, what was that experience like for you? I’m curious what people think this should look like - both animation and story wise.

I don't have experience with that, but there was a campaign here in Finland some years back to knit socks and hats that orphaned or injured squirrels at an animal sanctuary could use as nests.

Perhaps a mild embarrassed moodlet? Nothing too severe though. And definitely not for all knit things! Maybe sims with certain traits or skill level could have the ability to "Knit hideous [clothing]" on purpose?
    Also maybe lower quality knit things could be itchy, causing an uncomfortable moodlet?

The only one I know about is how ripping apart (=taking the needles out and undoing what you've knit) your project is called "frogging", because "rip it" -> "ribbit".

Q10: This is my biggest question, so I saved it for last. Should the “Teach to Knit” interaction mentioned above be autonomous? While this might sound trivial, I feel this is very important for gameplay. I’m interested how people would feel about their level 10 knitter trying to spread their knitting knowledge on others. Let's say you have someone in your family who is a level 10 knitter, if this interaction is autonomous the entire house is going to get a real deep dive into knitting, perhaps constantly.
    I feel like it should be player directed, I for one would rather not find my played family suddenly possessing skills I didn't instruct them to get, haha. But then, I am a micromanager and play with the aging off, and people with a different playstyle might feel different. Would making it an optional thing be out of the question?
  • MalinKrogMalinKrog Posts: 26 Member
    1. Love that this is considered. I'd like there to be a "club jacket" but instead a knitted sweater or something similar for knitting clubs for sure! For crossing with seasons I think knitted clothing should give the overheating moodlet during hot weather. It would also be nice (as someone else said) to incorporate knitting with the scouting badges somehow. The most important crossover for me personally is with Parenthood. I think knitting should help with emotional control. I'd love it if mentoring knitting to a child/teen gave the older sim the parenting skill as well. I don't however think that knitting automatically should give fame points, or all my elders will be celebs... I don't know of any famous knitters. But it could be incorporated with Get Famous through being able to upload knitting videos on the media station, and give fame points that way. If you have Laundry Day and a sim with the knitting skill it would be cool if you had a chance of your knitted clothing shrinking and being unusable (maybe become doll's clothing or some decor item instead).

2. Bring it on! :)

3. I'm so sorry but I would never use that crafting desk unless you could actually craft at them (like the kids crafting table). I can't imagine myself making a crafting room for every knitting sim. Only time I want my sims to sit at a desk knitting is if they could watch a knitting tutorial video in front of their computers (which would be so cool).

4. I'm super bad at knitting myself so everything takes forever. But I like the idea that each knitting project had different time consumed, like simple things go faster and larger projects take longer time. And as the sim skills up they can finish a bit faster.

5. I think not, that sounds really uncomfortable. Maybe if they got an uncomfortable moodlet after like an hour standing up?

6. I never had anyone teach me but for sure I'd like for the mentor and the kid to sit side by side knitting on a couch or bench and the mentor correcting or pointing out mistakes. If the kid succeeds the mentor should get a confident moodlet. And if not, embarassed for not being a good teacher. Same with the kid, confident if sucessful and sad if failed.

7. Don't have any Etsy experience but that sounds cool, I'd really love it if you could sell creations online! Donations could be cool as well, sending knitted clothing to poor people in Sunset Valley or some such.

8. Some sort of itching animation and deffo an uncomfortable moodlet (or embarrassed because they think the sweater is ugly). Maybe them automatically taking it off after a while and get into the shower/bath to soothe their skin!

9. I have nothing...

10. NO. Just no. No autonomy for this please. I can see this being 2020:s big bug where everyone goes around knitting all the freaking time and that would make me go insane. I would like to choose which of my sims has the knitting skill. However, I have no problem with sims that already have the knitting skill knitting autonomously. Just not making others do it as well...

Thank you Conor for including us even more in the process of creating this pack. It's really awesome of you!

• LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    Q1: Def yes on the yard sale tables! And I saw someone mentioning the freelance career as an example for a sort of Etsy store for assigments. I like that idea too.

Q2: No problem with it at all

Q3: While I do like crafting desks, and the look of it with the storage, I doubt there are many who knit there, but I wouldn't think it's too weird either. Though the only time my mom would knit at a desk is when she used her knitting machine. Whooosh! (Those thins are fun!)

Q4: Agree with it taking longer, especially higher end or bigger items. A small item I wouldn't want them to take days though. I haven't knitted in a long while, nor very much, so can't say how long it takes me. My mom takes maybe 3 hours or so for a single mitten?

Q5: I wouldn't mind them standing. Though I do prefer them finding a place to sit as a priority.

Q6: Maybe for children (if they can knit, because I would love that), for them to sit on their knees in from of the mentor, try and see what is happening. And mimic it. Finger knitting is a good way to start too.

Q7: I'll leave this to the people who actually knows this stuff

Q8: Uncomfortable buff, Wanting to take a shower or bath for relieve, making those rolling shoulder movements like wanting to shake it off. That sort of stuff

Q9: Wool you be mine

Q10: Though I'm not a story type player, I would say no, not autonomously. Would be nice if the non-knitter could ask the knitter for advice/teach to knit, especially if they are not in your household (grandparents in a different house for example).
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    1. Ehh.. not too sure about the fame for knitting thing But do like the idea of cross pack compatibility.

2. I like this idea. The more things we get to craft the better.

3. I don't know anyone that knits at a desk but if you were able to do other crafting things lat them as well as just using them as regular desks that would be cool.

4. I don't personally knit or crochet but my mother does. She likes to knit blankets for family members that are having a new baby. It could take her weeks if she keeps at it or months if she takes breaks in between. It also depends on the size of the blanket she's making. So I like the idea of it taking some time.

5. I'd rather they find a place to sit while knitting rather than standing.

6. Yes! I would love this. My mother would sit and teach my sister and I how to knit all the time. It was a fun bonding experience and I'd be happy if it were added to the game.

7. Yes to all of this. Being able to sell what are sims knit in this way would be amazing.

8. Everything mentioned here. The more ways our sims can express themselves the better.

9. I'm bad at puns so someone else can do this one.

10. I don't think it should be autonomous. Some people might not want everyone in their sim world knowing how to knit so I think the choice should be left up to the player.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • EniracYEniracY Posts: 1,008 Member
    edited March 2020
    Q1: Please make sure each item has its relative seasonal tag. A crossover with Cats and Dogs where jumpers get hairy would be great, and Laundry Day jumpers maybe shrinking or socks changing colours.

Q2: Inspired, if we're going by Sims moods. Who knew one hobby could lead to another?!

Q3: If you're following a pattern really closely, I think you'd do it at a desk. Maybe it can give you a boost at the earlier levels of the skill?

Q4: I tend to cross stitch a couple hours a day after work, so I'd say at least a week. Maybe half a Sim-week then?

Q5: Not really no, I'd rather they sit on the floor or recline on a bed.

Q6: Amazing. Yes there's YouTube and the like in the real world, but there's so much of it that just having one source saying 'this his how best to do this' is really important.

Q7: Posting the items I make to friends is pretty tense (sure the items don't cost a lot to make sometimes, but they did cost in time and thoughts). Plus I love it when they take a photo and put it on social media and tag me to show that they want to show it off too.

Q8: Sims should definitely ask the how and the why they're wearing it. Maybe the relationship type/amount should alter their reaction to having attention paid to it. Especially if a Sim is good or vice versa.

Q9: The problem with puns is they leave you with stitches.

Q10: Considering Sims don't really have interests, I'd say no. In real life if someone started trying to teach you how to knit and you just don't like it it would soon end the conversation, but that doesn't necessarily happen in The Sims 4 so making it autonomous would just lead to skills and actions being built that you might not want with your Sim.
    Post edited by EniracY on
    'Understanding is half the battle. Fireballs are the other half.'
    - Acolyte Sousuke

'You can English in an English way all the way to the English'
    'Whether it rains, whether it snows, Sims now have weather, whatever the weather whether they like it or not.'
  • secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member
    Q1: Crosspack!
    Warm clothing in seasons. Yarn bombing trees. Knitted bandages in a hospital.

Q2: Cool. I don't really see it as any different from knitting. Crocheted little animals and stuff would be good. LOVE the little grim reaper.

Q3: I've never heard of anyone knitting at a desk. Knitting is more of a comfy, less formal thing.

Q5: I think they'd still sit on a (half) wall, or on the floor.

Q8: Scratching, maybe spots like Get to Work.

Q10: I like the idea of autonomous as I think sims should be more autonomous generally, and an expert obsessed knitter wouldn't shut up about it, I'm sure.
  • mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    Q1:
    I love the idea of a crosspack! All the examples mentioned are great, except fame. I'd rather see cats playing with yarn as mentioned by other simmers and cozy warm with wearing a sweater is also a cute idea.

Q2:
    I'm fine with crochet like items. Lots of people mix the two up anyway.

Q3:
    I didn't care for any of the desks ( and didn't vote on them ) but if one is included I suggest that it could help with the knitting skill by looking at and "research" patterns, maybe also order yarn? Knitting at a desk would seem very odd to me.

Q4:
    You have to work hard finish a sweater in a week but it's doable. I like the idea that it can be saved and worked on later. In my opinion too many things are too easy in the game and if it took some time it would be a goal I could work towards.

Q5: Short answer... no.

Q6:
    They definitely would have to sit next to each other.

Q7:
    Knitting takes too long unless you have a knitting machine and will never make money for the time invested but it would be fun to have a store with crafted items. I also think it would be cute if you could knit a baby blanket or outfit to gift for a new baby or maybe sell to new parents.

Q10: Only user-directed, I like to choose who gets schooled on knitting and if someone is creative they would learn the skill faster.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    Oh, not directly related to the questions but... "frogging" (that is scrapping by unraveling) a project should get you some of your crafting money back, to represent how you're reusing the yarn for a different project.
  • SophiaisStrangeSophiaisStrange Posts: 1 New Member
    Q1: I think that I would really enjoy making sweaters and toys for cats and dogs. I think that it can really add to the crazy cat lady vibe. Also there would be something with seasons and gifting or making you could make your own stockings for Winterfest.

Q8: I think that the sim if a kid or a teen could be sad or upset because they just want toys but maybe as they get older like seem to enjoy the sweaters more as their relatives start to get older in age. But there might be a slight uncomfortable moodlet though.

Q10: I think that this can happen, but I don’t want it to make the knitting too easy. I think that it could be a thing where there is a class that they can go to and then the “knit-master” teachers them what to do. But I like the idea of a sim who can teach your sim knitting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top