Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Knitting Gameplay Questions for the Community!

Comments

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,411 Member
    edited March 2020
    Q1: Crosspack! This sounds great. You covered the basics I would say. Perhaps make a self made woolen hats or scarves give sims an extra comfortable feeling in cold weather (seasons), allow cats to play with yarn (cats and dogs). A knitting class and/or elective in university would be welcome too.
    Make knitting portable so our sims can knit while on vacation.

Q2: I would like some crochet animations. To be honest those people I know in real life who like crocheting make very similar things to knitted objects. I have a crocheted woolen hat and scarf at home and even talked to a woman who crocheted a sweater. Please include crocheting if you have the time and resources. I would not mind if this means we get a few other things less. I would prefer crocheting over yet another door or yet another chair.

Q3: Knitting at a desk sounds... weird. I would prefer if knitting was not tied to a specific object. I rather imagine people buying knitting needles and have them in their inventory. Then they can knit where ever they can sit, no matter if it is a chair (in front of a table of free standing), couche, lounge chair,... Knitting tied to an object tied to the personal inventory also means sims can knit at community lots like a park or café or even on vacation.
    A desk can be an option but please don't make it the ONLY option.
    I would like knitting to be compatible with the multitasking. Allow it on any seating object, but also allow sims to watch and talk to other sims simultaneously.

Q4: The time it takes to craft depends on how good you are at it. The more you have knitted, the faster it goes so I hope there will b some knitting skill. I also have the impression creative people are better at this, so maybe the creative trait can boost it. Or give more fun during knitting.

Q5: knitting while standing up can happen, but usually I would sit down. Maybe with the multi tasking in sims 4 we can direct them to sit where we want to knit.

Q8: The itchy sweater sounds fun. Perhaps they can get a rash if they don't take it off after a few hours.

Q10: Teaching to knit is very interesting for stories but I prefer if this was not autonomous. The knitting interaction itself would be great to have autonomous. If a sim reaches level 5 in the knitting skill and has the knitting stuff in their inventory they could start to knit. But teaching or asking to teach is something I would like to direct them to do myself

Post edited by Atreya33 on
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Q1: Crosspack! I’m planning on making Knitting compatible with things like Get to Work Retail Lots (including Mannequins!), Get Together’s Club Rules, and City LIving’s Yard Sale Table. What else would provide fun crosspack functionality? For example, should knitting provide Fame in some way?
    I'd say selling knitting should provide fame, but not just knitting for your own Sim. Love the idea of making it functional with other packs! Laundry Day would work well with a crossover!

Q2: If some “Crochet-Like” objects became craftable through Knitting, how would you personally feel? Happy? Enraged? Strong sense of ennui? We can’t guarantee unique animations for crocheting, but I’d like to still potentially provide them as a craftable object for players. Thrilled! I really hope this happens!

Q3: There’s a cool crafty desk floating around in concept art that you guys may have seen (49 - 52 in the object vote). What would knitting at one of these desks mean to you, if anything? Asking around the office, nobody knits at a desk, but I’m curious if anyone would find value if the new crafting desk tied in with knitting somehow.
    I'd like the desk, but not to knit at. I think for kids creating crafts more.

Q4: I’d like Knitting to actually take some time to craft, something Sims can save for later and come back to. In your experience, how long have some of your knitting projects taken? I’ll try not to make it feel too grindy, but definitely longer than it takes to paint in our game.
    I don't knit, but I'd say make it like writing a song, or two.

Q5: If your Sim wanted to knit something, but they couldn't find a place to sit, would you be okay with them standing up and knitting? Asking for a friend...
    Yes, I'd like them to be able to do either, but it'd be nice if it wasn't tied to one chair. Let them knit on any couch or chair please.

Q6: Along with the Mentor interaction, I’d like to include a proper “Teach to Knit” interaction. I’d love to have that moment where the Knitting Master granny teaches their grandchild how to knit. For those of you who experienced similar things, what was that experience like for you? I’m curious what people think this should look like - both animation and story wise. I didn't pick it up, but my Nana would knit beside me on the couch helping me and my Grandma would sit at a table with me when learning to crochet. I LOVE this idea! I'm guessing it's for kids only? If Tots can't do it, can they play with and mess up the wool?

Q7: I’d like to have some Etsy store-like gameplay, as well as donation gameplay with Knitting. For those of you who may have gone down those paths in real life, what were some interesting takeaways or stories you’d like to see represented? Again, I love the idea but don't have ideas to contribute as I've never done it.

Q8: Lets say a Sim is wearing an awful, itchy sweater that they’re wearing only because somebody gifted it for them. What kind of things would you like to see happen to them? Uncomfortable moodlet, maybe embarrassed if it is an ugly one... But increase friendship with the person who made it if they are seen in it and the Sim that makes it is happy.

Q9: I need your best Knitting puns. Feed them to me.

Q10: This is my biggest question, so I saved it for last. Should the “Teach to Knit” interaction mentioned above be autonomous? While this might sound trivial, I feel this is very important for gameplay. I’m interested how people would feel about their level 10 knitter trying to spread their knitting knowledge on others. Let's say you have someone in your family who is a level 10 knitter, if this interaction is autonomous the entire house is going to get a real deep dive into knitting, perhaps constantly. HOnestly, it doesn't matter to me too much other way but I'm leaning slightly towards No.
  • ImSandsImSands Posts: 329 Member
    Q1: I'd love to see Sims knitting while watching movies (Movie Night Stuff) and relaxing or even sunbathing in Sunbeds (Island Living). My mom is a knitter and thats what she does. Or sitting in a cafe while sipping a cappucino. I could also see Sims starting their on Knitting channels and streaming their hobby to the world (hence gain some fame from that). Club activity, being able to sell at the flea market and in retails lots are also great as mentioned.

Q2: Sure. I wouldn't mind.

Q3: Hmmm. I don't know anyone who knits at a table. But my mom does have a table where she stores all her excess yarns and needles and stuff.

Q4: My mom can knit a pair of woolly socks during a movie. Same with a scarf. A sweater might take her a couple of days, and a larger blanket maybe a week. Thats of course assuming she would be knitting non-stop.

Q5: I've never seen anyone do that.

Q6: Mom tried to teach me. I had not interest nor talent. It was frustrating for both of us so we gave up.

Q7: Mom knits woolly socks for charity all the time. She will donate them, and they are then sold for charity. She feels very good about herself being able to do that. She also gives them as gifts to people all the time. Everyone loves them.

Q8: Depending on the Sim, embarrasment? The Sim who made the sweater probably feels happy that the item they made is being used. I get red an itchy and red around the neck when I wear some kinds of wool. I've never had any reactions to woolly socks though! Maybe there are different qualities or types of wool Sims can use to knit. Some are less itchy than others?

Q9: I don't know any :-(

Q10: Nooooo! I don't want knitting to spread like the hamster flu thru all of Simdom!
  • EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
    edited March 2020
    Q1: Crosspack! Absolutely agree
    Q2: “Crochet-Like” objects becoming craft able through Knitting.
    This would be cool with decor items or intractable kid or pet toys.
    Q3: Knitting at a desk is a bit odd. But since blocking is part of the process I can see how it could work.
    Q4: It should take a bit of time depending on the size of the object. Being able to stop and come back to finish would be ideal.
    How long have some of your knitting projects taken? Maybe the time it takes to do two small or two medium paintings? With a reduction in time as the knitting skill progresses.
    Q5: If your Sim wanted to knit something, but they couldn't find a place to sit, would you be okay with them standing up and knitting? Asking for a friend... It would be strange to knit while standing but preferable to dropping the action altogether. Maybe kneel down like they do when reading or doing homework.
    Q6: Along with the Mentor interaction, I’d like to include a proper “Teach to Knit” interaction. I’d love to have that moment where the Knitting Master granny teaches their grandchild how to knit.
    Being taught to knit by a Knitting Master seems like a natural thing and should a "must" (please :) )
    Q7: I’d like to have some Etsy store-like gameplay, as well as donation gameplay with Knitting. For those of you who may have gone down those paths in real life, what were some interesting takeaways or stories you’d like to see represented?
    Selling for fun and profit, donating or gifting go with knitting IMO. Perhaps a nice buff to go along with your generosity. ;)
    Q8: Lets say a Sim is wearing an awful, itchy sweater that they’re wearing only because somebody gifted it for them. What kind of things would you like to see happen to them?
    Evil things >:) uh .... maybe not :grin:
    Suggested puns:
    All Balled Up
    Dropped a Stitch
    Feeling Knot-ty
    Perfect Purl
    Spinning a Yarn
    Tangled in Knots
    Q10: Should the “Teach to Knit” interaction mentioned above be autonomous?
    I can see this being realistic. Thinking of other mentoring type scenarios in game like homework, school projects or working out at the gym. Being autonomous and user-directed should be included especially if an applicable bonus buff is involved.
    My gameplay is not usually story driven (except the brief story scenarios in my head). I can see how a total stranger walking into your Let's Play story would be disruptive. I would be happy if my teenage Sim living on their own could learn knitting from another Sim even if they had only just met.

EQ
  • Jon the WizardJon the Wizard Posts: 268 Member
    My votes are in, and there are some real winners in Build Mode. Really hoping the stained glass window gets picked up. As for Conor's questions...

Q1: Crosspack! I’m planning on making Knitting compatible with things like Get to Work Retail Lots (including Mannequins!), Get Together’s Club Rules, and City LIving’s Yard Sale Table. What else would provide fun crosspack functionality? For example, should knitting provide Fame in some way?
    JTW Answer 1: How about being able to do arts and crafts videos for Sim Youtube if you've got the Get Famous expansion? My aunt does something like that.

Q2: If some “Crochet-Like” objects became craftable through Knitting, how would you personally feel? Happy? Enraged? Strong sense of ennui? We can’t guarantee unique animations for crocheting, but I’d like to still potentially provide them as a craftable object for players.
    JTW Answer 2: I'm cool with it.

Q3: There’s a cool crafty desk floating around in concept art that you guys may have seen (49 - 52 in the object vote). What would knitting at one of these desks mean to you, if anything? Asking around the office, nobody knits at a desk, but I’m curious if anyone would find value if the new crafting desk tied in with knitting somehow.
    JTW Answer 3: That'd be certainly unique. To me it'd fit the idea of someone who's really hardcore into it, like it's their job and that's their work station.

Q4: I’d like Knitting to actually take some time to craft, something Sims can save for later and come back to. In your experience, how long have some of your knitting projects taken? I’ll try not to make it feel too grindy, but definitely longer than it takes to paint in our game.
    JTW Answer 4: I don't knit, personally. I know my relatives have had knitting projects go for a couple of weeks, according to them.

Q5: If your Sim wanted to knit something, but they couldn't find a place to sit, would you be okay with them standing up and knitting? Asking for a friend...
    JTW Answer 5: I'd just make them sit on the floor. I can't imagine it'd be comfortable to stand and knit.

Q6: Along with the Mentor interaction, I’d like to include a proper “Teach to Knit” interaction. I’d love to have that moment where the Knitting Master granny teaches their grandchild how to knit. For those of you who experienced similar things, what was that experience like for you? I’m curious what people think this should look like - both animation and story wise.
    JTW Answer 6: The closest approximation to this I have is my grandma teaching me how to play doubles solitaire. I'd liken it to her kind of taking it really easy on me almost to the point of taking a dive, since I didn't really know what was allowed and illegal in the game.

Q7: I’d like to have some Etsy store-like gameplay, as well as donation gameplay with Knitting. For those of you who may have gone down those paths in real life, what were some interesting takeaways or stories you’d like to see represented?
    JTW Answer 7: I don't have any experience in that field. That would be a good addition to gameplay, though, a sort of Sim-Patreon.

Q8: Lets say a Sim is wearing an awful, itchy sweater that they’re wearing only because somebody gifted it for them. What kind of things would you like to see happen to them?
    JTW Answer 8: +2 Uncomfortable or Embarrassed moodlet for as long as they're wearing it, and a Scratch Like Crazy interaction on themselves, an interaction to ask for a back scratch on others.

JTW Answer 9: You're looking in the wrong thread for knitting-based puns.

Q10: This is my biggest question, so I saved it for last. Should the “Teach to Knit” interaction mentioned above be autonomous? While this might sound trivial, I feel this is very important for gameplay. I’m interested how people would feel about their level 10 knitter trying to spread their knitting knowledge on others. Let's say you have someone in your family who is a level 10 knitter, if this interaction is autonomous the entire house is going to get a real deep dive into knitting, perhaps constantly.
    JTW Answer 10: I'd aim toward no, personally.
  • DJQ1308DJQ1308 Posts: 44 Member
    Q1: No fame for knitting. I love the idea of cross pack functionality, it's a must. What about having it work in with Parenthood where kids could gain one of the character values (maybe empathy??) from learning to knit with a parent and likewise the parent could gain parenting skill.

Q2: Love crocheted stuff and would not mind them popping up at all. Doesn't phase me if the interaction was not there/same as knitting interaction.

Q3: Not sure about knitting at the desk, but maybe drawing up the plans for what you're going to knit? Creating the pattern so to speak.

Q4: It depends on the project. Babies clothes I can smash out in a few hours to a couple of days. Adult garments can take me a couple of weeks etc. It all comes down to the size of the project and the intricacy of the design. I do however LOVE the idea of it take a lot more time so that the sim can come back to it. My Mum, for instance, will spend a couple of hours knitting something, then potter of to do something else, then come back to it etc.

Q5: It's kind of weird to me, but would still work.

Q6: LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS!! As someone who was taught by both my Mum and Nana this would be so cool to have in game. I remember just sitting next to them on the lounge and watching them go through the motions to make a set of stiches, then I would follow on my own needles with input from them every now and then.

Q7: My Mum and I knitted a bunch (200) sweaters for babies in Africa who are born with AIDS as they're often just wrapped in paper and sent home to die. It's horrific! We joined a charity group doing it and they sent them all over. Our family friends are now attempting to implement something similar for babies born in Papua New Guinea (not necessarily babies born with AIDS, just babies from poor families). So charity type knitting would be fun. Maybe a phone call to someone with a certain level of knitting skill (5?) asking them to knit a certain amount of an item, they could then use their mailbox to "post" them when complete maybe?

Q8: Scratch a lot, like when they have an illness, then break out in a red rash. Maybe try to secretly sabotage said item.

Q9: A woman that knits her own dresses?! She's knot your average lady!
    People that hand make wool sweaters are part of a tight knit group.
    What is the similarity between knitting and oysters? Purls.
    I've just started knitting for the Mafia. They call me Scarf Ace.
    My wife likes to crochet and play guitar. She's a real knit picker.
    The problem with knitting class, once you've tried it, you're hooked.

Q10: I would definitely prefer it to not be autonomous! Storyplay wise it doesn't work for me as I may not want certain sims to learn knitting etc. Would much prefer to guide the interaction.

Can I just say that it has been super fun answering questions like this, having a little say in the things that matter, sharing our opinions. It's also been fun reading the different opinions. Thanks for the involvment :)

• Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    1: Crosspack! Don't forget being able to sell them at the table at the flea market. I can sell photos at the yard sale table but not at the flea market on the table there and I would like too sell crafted stuff at those markets (something I do in real life).. CATS AND DOGs a small animation of them playing with a ball of wool and tangling up in it would be adorable (and true to life). Laundry day - shrink the woolen items by doing a special wash in the machine (maybe 10% chance of it shrinking so you have to craft it again). Can we earn fame for knitting? or hold an exhibition in a museum / art centre of crafted objects? Knitting freelancer career would also be awesome -I love the freelancer careers. Spooky stuff - a strange knitted costume you could craft if you own the pack.

Q2: I love crochet! and the crocheted look in items.

Q3: Desks would only be for assembling and laying out big knitted pieces like patchwork blankets and dresses or other long clothes made from several pieces. You knot in your lap while seated.

Q4: I'm a terrible knitter but I can make a basic scarf or beanie in an afternoon - 1 - 3 hours depending on size and complexity. A(not more than 1 sim hour I'd say) Plain knitting takes less time than complex patterns and shapes. I would hat to grind longer than it takes sims to write a song ( for the most complex pieces)

Q5: Standing up? where would the ball of wool be? Rolling away? In a bag slung over the sims shoulder, resting on a table. Doesn't seem to practical - especially as we didn't get the CAS apron with the big front pocket which would have held wool in such a situation.

Q6: Demonstration followed by having a go followed by hand overhand assistance. My first pieces often turned out comically wrong with holes from dropped stitches and either way too big or too small from not understanding how to maintain wool tension. My grandma (and mother) cast on and cast off long after I had developed knitting skills as this is the most difficult part. Also the mentor would take the piece and pick up dropped stitches etc before you made it worse.

Q7: My experience is a s a purchaser - items wont fit in sims mailboxes - perhaps neighbour sims who are kleptos might take your parcels.

Q8: A rash, uncomfortable moodlet - maybe an embarrassed moodlet if they meet their friends or wear it on a date. Vent/ complain about itchiness interaction. If the sim gets to a certain level of uncomfortable the sim could do a strange scratching all over dance.

Q9: not very good at puns :(

Q10: I do love autonomous stuff in the game - and would like this - can there be an interaction that ensures they don't do the interaction again eg. you have a young evil child when they are autonomously taught knitting you can choose tantrum about knitting and the mentor won't try and teach them again. You need ways to turn it off because an uncontrollable action would get annoying and break immersion when it is inappropriate for some sims. (.
  • SpiddermouseSpiddermouse Posts: 23 Member
    Q1: I don’t think knitting should lead to fame, maybe if you do a knitting stream but not solely knitting as an activity. Maybe gifting your high quality home made projects could give a reputation boost? And definitely cats. I don’t knit myself but I do crochet and the yarn is a cat magnet. Especially when they are playful.
    Q2: I never really mastered knitting but I love to crochet. There is definitely a similarity and I would be really happy if there where crochet-like objects that would be craftable.
    Q3&Q4: I can crochet everywhere and I guess that would also work for knitting. I don’t mind if a project takes time but maybe a focused moodlet could make a project progress faster which would be easier at a desk. My grandmother would knit socks at the dining table so she could be social while knitting. I prefer to be on the couch and watch a movie when I crochet. So I would definitely enjoy a possibility for multitasking in gameplay especially when a project takes time. It would also make sense that a project will take less time and be of higher quality once you master the skill.
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Q1. I love the idea of cross-pack functionality! The only other one I could think of, aside from your ideas already, would be that knitting could perhaps aid with Emotional Control from Parenthood? The same way playing an instrument de-stresses, I wondered if knitting could perhaps do the same? I do also agree with the ideas of allowing pets to play with the balls of wool. My cat does this and he's a pest when he does :D

Q2. I have no problem with crochet items being available. Additional animations would be wonderful but it's not something I'd get enraged about. I'd personally love it either way!

Q3. While I wouldn't personally knit at a desk, I still think it'd be lovely to include anyway, so the option is there.

Q4. I agree with a lot of the other answers on it depending on the size of the project but perhaps also on skill level. When I first starting knitting when I was 12, it took me forever to make a cat blanket :D But as I got better, it took less time. So perhaps that could be a factor?

Q5. I have no objection to this. I think it would be just fine if somebody knitted while standing but only as a last resort.

Q6. Well my Mum taught me when I was 12 and I loved sitting on the sofa with her while she knitted alongside. So this is something I would love to see. Definitely agree it would be right to maybe have some irritation when the mentee is first learning (providing Tense emotion, perhaps?) but then maybe an Inspired moodlet when they start to understand? I do love the idea of toddlers being able to watch and gain some thinking skill.

Q7. I love the idea of donating or having an Etsy-like store. I used to donate hats and scarves to the Native American Reservations when I was in my teens. We'd gather a lot together and send them out to America (I'm in England) and it was always lovely to receive an email with feedback about how they reacted when they got them <3

Q8. Definitely scratching constantly! Perhaps getting a rash from the jumper/sweater? Definitely visibly uncomfortable, maybe with a Tense moodlet that lasts while they're wearing that jumper/sweater? Not sure if that would work or not.

Q9. Got nothing of my own but I love some of the suggestion in here :D

Q10. I had to think hard for this one. Normally, I'm all for more autonomy but for this one I'm going to say Non-Autonomous. The reason for this is because I feel like not everybody is going to be interested in knitting and realistically, if somebody has no interest in the hobby, no amount of persuading from grandma is going to change that! I do, however, like the idea mentioned earlier of people able to ask to be taught to knit.

Thanks for asking these. It's lovely to be able to provide some feedback and share ideas <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member
    Hello Sims forums! I’m a gameplay designer on SP17 and I have some insight and questions for the community!

Also if you haven't already, please take the object vote! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JZBMHNF

I feel it would be a bit odd to be a famous knitter.
    As others have mentioned:
    Laundry Day: knitted items need to be hand-washed
    Outdoor Retreat: knitting around a campfire
    Parenthood: knitting increases emotional control and motor skills. Toddlers also able to throw balls of yarn around, maybe bang knitting needles on things?
    Cats & Dogs: playing with balls of yarn, making a mess in the yarn supply basket
    Discover University: as the others have said (collect the yarn from the statue to use if you have the knitting skill, take a knitting elective)
    Seasons: The Christmas Sweaters be made knit-able, giving knitted items as gifts, knitted items of high quality give extra "cozy" mood buffs in winter when worn
    Q2: If some “Crochet-Like” objects became craftable through Knitting, how would you personally feel? Happy? Enraged? Strong sense of ennui? We can’t guarantee unique animations for crocheting, but I’d like to still potentially provide them as a craftable object for players.

Yes please

I loved the look of those desks, but also of the shelves. I think you should be able to sit at a desk and watch Sim-Tube, or sit at the media desk and record a knitting video
    Definitely, knitting skill should increase speed. Basic scarves not too long... maybe 3 sim hours for someone with a decent skill? Socks or gloves or mittens longer maybe 6-7 Sim hours, and blankets and toys and sweaters should take a while - maybe like 15 sim hours? Also is there going to be a part where they have to fill the toy with stuffing? ^_^

I definitely feel like you should be able to start a project and come back to it.

Only if they've got a bag over their arm or a bag/basket at their feet so their yarn is being held somewhere, but I think sitting on the floor / kneeling would be better. Kitting should only be possible in my opinion if the Sim has a basket or bag to hold their supplies nearby.
    Q6: Along with the Mentor interaction, I’d like to include a proper “Teach to Knit” interaction. I’d love to have that moment where the Knitting Master granny teaches their grandchild how to knit. For those of you who experienced similar things, what was that experience like for you? I’m curious what people think this should look like - both animation and story wise.

My mother taught me to knit when I was about 8 or 9, and it was frustrating lol. I poked my fingers with the tips of the needles until they were red raw! But I was determined to learn it lol. Occasionally I would mess it up and have to give the needles to my mum so she could undo some knitting and fix my holes or dropped stitches....

Sometimes the knitting would fall off the needle

Sometimes I'd drop /gain stitches so the edges would be uneven and there'd be holes in it

It was hot and frustrating but very satisfying and made me feel very "mature". I actually remember the whole experience very clearly now, 20 years later. So it was a very close family-bonding, emotional moment.

Can't help here sorry, but again I'd like to be able to give knitted items as gifts or donations. Baby clothes / toys / blankets would be lovely.

Itchyyyyyyyyy!!! Red in the face, uncomfortable... Sims with a good sense of humour could make jokes about it / embrace it and enjoy it. Family-oriented sims should get a feeling of satisfaction / pride even though they're uncomfortable. Grumpy sims should take it off ASAP.
    I'm knot very good at knitting puns sorry XD
    Q10: This is my biggest question, so I saved it for last. Should the “Teach to Knit” interaction mentioned above be autonomous? While this might sound trivial, I feel this is very important for gameplay. I’m interested how people would feel about their level 10 knitter trying to spread their knitting knowledge on others. Let's say you have someone in your family who is a level 10 knitter, if this interaction is autonomous the entire house is going to get a real deep dive into knitting, perhaps constantly. What are your thoughts on potentially “story intrusive” interactions like this, would you be okay to find your family one day all high-level knitters through natural autonomy? Or should this only be user-directed, meaning on you have the ability to choose who gets schooled on knitting. I’d love to hear your thoughts about these sorts of things.

Nope to the autonomy for sure. It would be nice if a level 10 knitter would have the want to teach their friends / family to knit, but I feel that should be player-directed.
  • MikkiMikkiMikkiMMikkiMikkiMikkiM Posts: 213 Member
    Also, if I (personally) try to knit anything with any complexity at all while watching hockey, I am guaranteed to make mistakes and have to rip back and redo huge sections.

That might be a fun gameplay addition too. Frustration from trying to knit a design that's too difficult, or from constantly messing up. Maybe Sims with certain personality traits (perfectionist) can progress faster, and others (lazy) might get frustrated quicker and will stop knitting autonomously at some point (circling back to the 'stop/start project question').
  • FiddelizFiddeliz Posts: 39 Member
    Q1: I think it would be super fun if you could sell your crafts at the flea market, and those other things you mentioned. Also the knitting-fame youtuber-thing sounds fun, but no fame from ordinary knitting/selling to NPC's.

Q2: Yes please!

Q3: I would like to use it for the planning stage and template-making for the knitting. And that this can take more time when crafting larger items. This would also raise your knitting skill.

Q4: Maybe 2h of planning and then 10-15h of knitting. I have to add here - this is usually how long it takes to paint as well :P the time it takes in TS4 is soooo fast. It's basically a money-factory not a hobby.

Q5: No standing, this will make them stand up autonomously when you want them to sit as well.

Q6: It would be nice if the knitting skill has to be learned explicitly through mentoring or watching videos online. So that you can't just buy the items and start knitting right away. It's all about technique.

Q7: -

Q8: I like all of the ideas above!

Q9: -

Q10: I don't want the knitting interaction to be autonomous. But as mentioned above: If your sim knows someone in the world who can knit, with the right level of friendship I would love if you could ask them to teach you.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Thanks for asking. Here are my answers.

Q1: The fame is good, but it can be repetitive, but perhaps, the skills can be unlock through class/skill tiers? Else, maybe adding a knitting class in DU, adding knitting random events/competition (where the households should bring one knitted items & be judge which can indirectly increase their fame too?) in the Seasons calendar, or new weird magic for the spell caster? Or perhaps a shrunk jumper/sweater (because I do have that experience IRL after I did my laundry :'(

Q2: I personally don't have any experience knitting, but if I can accomplish something creative, I would feel so happy (say, for the beginner). But, if someone is a pro-knitter or have a specific trait towards this skill, they could feel enraged and perhaps, demotivated if their crafts doesn't meet their expectation. So, basically, how will they learn to knit (say, without a mentor)? Through book? website? video? or a class?

Q3: Honestly, I dont know. I probably learn how to knit from my Sims too. :p But I do enjoy going to craft shops & surrounded by those wools. I think that the Sims should not be attached to a desk to knit. They could find their inspirations anywhere. Be it in a kitchen, garden, or a cafe. So, they should be able to knit almost everywhere. Even on their bed. Because it should be something that the Sims can carry in their inventory. Right?

Q4: As you can read from my earlier answers, I don't know. But, I think it should be depends on the skill levels. One of my friend's mum is a knitter. She basically enjoy knitting. Perhaps, it should also depends on their moods too? Time is a must, but shouldn't be one of the reason only.

Q5:Can anyone knit while they're standing? Perhaps they do have a strong knee then! I think, it would be nice if they can sit while knitting, but if they want to stand, why not? It should be an option, but it can come with a risk where they might entangled with the wools or have a poor quality knitted stuffs.

Q6: Perhaps, I shouldn't get involved with this Q&A because I don't have any knowledge or have family members who enjoys knitting. However, if I could answer in terms of mentorship, it should have multiple experiences right? Like, a very patience mentor, a very serious mentor, or even a goofy mentor. So, it should have different mentorship style depending on the traits & their moods too.

Q7:Online store should not be limited to the knitting craft. Would it be possible for the other crafts too? I think that is one way to have a home business option, right? Donation of knitting stuffs, I'm not sure, but perhaps, fundraiser events? Where the knitters could attend a specific event & start knitting within a specific time or bring their stuffs & starts selling it for charity?

Q8:Mortified! :D It sounds like a Christmas jumper. Joke aside. Say, if the gift was from their close family members, they should be very proud wearing it around them, but besides that, realistically, they should feel ashamed.

Q9: Just found a funny meme. "What do you mean that knitting doesn't count as an exercise"

Q10: Perhaps, NO. I prefer uniqueness. It should be learnt when someone ask for it.

On the side note, I hope that there're some questions that ask the non-knitters opinions too. Our Sims might need, but IRL, we're not.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Cleo_lune88Cleo_lune88 Posts: 2 New Member
    If sims who have a full knitting skill are have nothing to do they should do the knitting automatically, and if the childrens or other sims are around they should be invited to learn the knitting.
  • Cleo_lune88Cleo_lune88 Posts: 2 New Member
    Q1:It's okay to link with the other pack. If it does linking with get together we can found the knitting club to gain a relationship, and also when the parents give the craft to thier childrens it should gain a relationship and get a parenting skill.

Q2: I also thinking about sim doing crochet, it's have more choices to do in this pack, so why not?

Q3: The tables is great, but to be honest....I prefer a rocking chair. It's giving an imagination like a granny who full with love is rocking a chair while doing a knitting. It's would be so heartwarming.
    ***But if anyone want to teach the childrens or other members' family the table is more suitable.

Q4:How about 3hours if it is a small item like a little bear(key ring) gloves, 1 day in game if it is a scarf, 2day if it is bigger like sweater and so on.

Q5: It's okay to not buy the table (or chair...if any), but sims should be not very comfortable and if that sims have a hot-headed trait that sims should be so tennse and stop doing it.

Q6:It should depend on sims traits. If they are teenager they might be a bit of bored, if they are a children some of traits such as creative or cheerfull they must be happy or very happy (especially when sims have a creative trait).

Q7:I really love the idea that sims doing a charity! If they're having a good traits it should make sims happy or inspired, and it should gain a celebrity fame point.

Q8: Sims should be embarrassing to wear it, but if they have a good relationship with the giver sims might be simper. In contrast, if sims having a bad relationship with the giver sims should be angry and trying to take off or give it back or even throw it to the garbage (they should be a seriously enemy then haha).

Q9:TBH I have known idea about this, am sorry.

Q10:If sims who have a full knitting skill are have nothing to do they should do the knitting automatically, and if the childrens or other sims are around they should be invited to learn the knitting.
  • mimilu04mimilu04 Posts: 83 Member
    Hello @SimGuruConor ! Here's my feedback:

Q1 : I don't think knitting should provide fame, maybe give a good reputation if a knitter is generous and gifts a lot of his/her creations to people. I think a cool crosspack feature would be cats autonomously playing with balls of yarn.

Q2 : I don't find crochet is that much different from knitting (please do not get mad crochetters/knitters! I do not know much about the subject), so I don't have strong feelings about this being included or not.

Q3 : I feel this object would be more suited for other types of DIY projects, but not really knitting.

Q4 : I like the idea of having ongoing projects they can go back to. Maybe try and make it so that some projects are quicker to finish than others (small vs large projects) and that as they improve their skill they can knit faster and unlock more difficult projects (similar to the woodbench).

Q5 : Tell your friend that seems rather uncomfortable and unpractical... Maybe super experienced knitters can handle it, but I don't think I've ever seen people doing it irl.

Q6 : I'd like to see children (or teens/adults) having the interaction: "Ask to teach knitting" to an experienced knitter, then would both sit together (couch or bed) and the "Master" would help them position their needles and give advice.

Q7 : If a sim puts something to sell online, I'd like that not every item sells automatically, especially if they are still beginners and their articles are not great quality. Maybe they could also offer them to charity organizations.

Q8 : Probably be very uncomfortable, maybe have a rash. And a whim to destroy that gift.

Q9 : I don't know, do you want Knot Knot jokes? (I am sorry)

Q10 : I don't think it should be completely autonomous, maybe level 10 knitters can autonomously offer to people to teach them, but then we get a prompt to accept or decline the proposition.

This seems a promising stuff pack so far, good luck on the development!
  • JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    Q1:
    Get Together: Club rules, include teaching as well as just knitting. (Some more club icons would also be greatly appreciated!)
    University: An elective would be nice
    Cats & Dogs: Cats NEED to be able to play with yarn
    Parenthood: Ability to ruin other sims' knitting projects, and lower the character values for it (probably empathy/responsibility)
    Island Living: Odd jobs for knitting
    Get Famous: No fame unless you upload videos, simstagram, etc.. No fame makes sense for knitting.
    Also I think this is basegame, though maybe Seasons/Get Famous, but can we have a kids after school club like scouts and acting but for knitting/crafting? I had a knitting & sewing club when I was at school, would be a great thing for kids as there are so few clubs & they need more to do! It's a rabbit hole, so shouldn't be too hard to ad...

Q2:
    I don't mind.

Q3:
    Other crafting rather than knitting. But maybe the ability to learn patterns - maybe you can increase your knitting skill and learn new things to knit here? Also assembling the items afterwards, as lots of them look like they have multiple parts. It would also be nice if you could maybe do non-tech things here - like write in journals for teens, write books/etc. on paper/notebooks for adults. Also if child sims can do all the arts table actions here that would be great too.

Q4:
    Not sure, but definitely want variety between bigger and smaller projects. Also with a higher skill you should be able to knit faster.

Q5:
    Yes, but really would rather them sit on the floor.

Q6:
    They should increase or decrease their relationship, depending on how it goes. My hates children or evil elder should be frustrated, get mad and decrease their relationship with a kid who is trying to learn, whereas family oriented and good sims should boost their relationship and get a confident moodlet from successful teaching. Make the traits matter!

Q7:
    They should get reviews and a rating, like the odd jobs do. Option to not ever send the item and get a bad review. Or option to send incorrect things, bad quality, etc. and have it actually matter.
    Maybe have specific items to make to donate - make generic hat/socks to donate, a simple generic item but that makes sense to donate, as none of the items we have so far really make sense to donate. Gain empathy with Parenthood and a good reputation with Get Famous for donating.

Q8:
    Uncomfortable moodlets for bad quality. Most teens should be embarrassed no matter what (except maybe family oriented ones) when wearing gifted handmade clothing. Sim who made the sweater should be happy when they see it being worn though.

Q9:
    Sorry, nothing to add here.

Q10:
    Please no! The only thing I would be OK with is if the sim ALREADY had knitting skill and asked to be taught to improve. So 'ask to teach' could be autonomous if they already have the knitting skill at maybe a minimum level 2/3, but not 'teach'. I mind less about sims improving skills themselves than learning new ones that I don't want them to.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited March 2020
    Fame pack. Lots of actors knit between calls when filming as well as crochet or play Sims 4.

Also there are knitting competitions to see who is the fastest knitter! A couple below...... Is this fame or GTW?

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Needles-fly-as-speed-knitting-contest-begins-in-Paris

https://www.interweave.com/article/knitting/worlds-fastest-knitter/
  • HyawehHyaweh Posts: 36 Member
    Thanks so much for asking those questions to us!

Q1: I don't think knitting should bring fame. It's more like a home/family/friends activity. But it would be so good to have a knitting club for example like the after school activities for kids, but it would be an afterwork activity for adult or an activity for elders. They could go on weekend, once or two per week to meet with friends and knit. Come back home with projects.

Q2: That woud be very nice. Each new activity is really needed.

Q3: I liked those desks but I wish the knitting would be more an option. So we would be able to use those desk for something else if we don't want to knit but still want them in the house.

Q4: I loooove that idea. It's so nice to imagine our sims having a project but needs more time and comeback later for it. So I would say some hours would be good. That would be awesome if big projects make days like sweater or clothes. And the little objects only some hours.

Q5: I wouldn't mind at all. Actually I really like the idea it's an option and they can do it as they want. You can imagine a mother knitting standing looking at a kid play, or an elder on its rocking chair. I like all the options.

Q6: I think it's super important in the game. One of the first critism i have for the game is that sims don't interact enough. They mostly do actions next to each other. So I would love this to be in the game. Even more to create grand-parents/ grand-children interact with each other ! I imagine them choosing a project to do together. The elder could have the kid on their knees or next to them. They could time to time take the project to make some changes, as if they were fixing a mistake.

Q7: I love the idea of making clothes for donation at the hospital and having empathy skills with Parenthood. That would be good if the objects can be sold on the market table. An idea too would be to have some order from the computer/ phone. The person has to make it and send it with the letterbox. So it would be an activity from home to make money. With probably some days to make it before the order is cancelled. Like a new freelance career.

Q8: I would looove to see them feel itchy and uncomfortable. They would scratch their body regularly. Probably stretch the sweater away from their skin too to make air. At some point if they have it for too long and are angry, I would love to see them take it off and throw it on the floor in a mad way.

Q9: I am bad in pun in general so english ones.....

Q10: I don't think this should be autonomous. But I would love the fact that someone can ask and request to be teaching knitting. Like if we don't control the elder and she/he has the required level, i would love my sim to be able to ask him/her to be taught how to knit. That would be cool too if kids were included as well. Sometimes it misses actions for kids and I really want to play with them.

I'm sorry i'm french so I hope my english isn't that bad ! Once again thanks a lot about asking those questions and make us a part of this game ^^
    Sorry for my English, I'm French.
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Q1: Crosspack! Sorry, no ideas here.

Q2: If some “Crochet-Like” objects became craftable through Knitting, how would you personally feel? Love it!

Q3: There’s a cool crafty desk floating around in concept art that you guys may have seen (49 - 52 in the object vote). What would knitting at one of these desks mean to you, if anything? Asking around the office, nobody knits at a desk, but I’m curious if anyone would find value if the new crafting desk tied in with knitting somehow. I sit at a desk and watch movies on my laptop computer all the time. It's also helpful because I keep my patterns on the computer, and I can keep them open in different tabs and go back and forth between the movie and the pattern easily.

Q4: I’d like Knitting to actually take some time to craft, something Sims can save for later and come back to. In your experience, how long have some of your knitting projects taken? LOL. Years, sometimes. I start things, put them down, come back to them. Before I retired, I often didn't have a lot of time to work on stuff, so I would make little progress during the week. Afghans take longer than hats and scarves, obviously. And I rarely have just one project going. (One WIP -- Work in Progress). Starting a new project is always way more fun than finishing a dozen old ones. There is a joke in the knitting/crocheting community about starting a new project when you are 95% complete on an old one.

Q5: If your Sim wanted to knit something, but they couldn't find a place to sit, would you be okay with them standing up and knitting? Asking for a friend... I've seen it done. I've seen knitters knitting while walking, so they could get their knitting in at the same time as their daily aerobic stroll. Me, I'm too lazy for that. Maybe it should be associated with personality type?

Q6: Along with the Mentor interaction, I’d like to include a proper “Teach to Knit” interaction. I’d love to have that moment where the Knitting Master granny teaches their grandchild how to knit. For those of you who experienced similar things, what was that experience like for you? I’m curious what people think this should look like - both animation and story wise. I was 5 when my grandmother taught me to knit. She initially did the cast on for me, then held my hands to show me how to do the stitches. After a few, she'd let go and watch. We did practice swatches -- just rectangles -- at first. As I got the hang of the knit stitch, she showed me how to do the purl stitch, but by doing it on her needles. Then we'd knit together, me on mine and her on hers. I'm sure I looked at my work with great concentration and bit my tongue a little. And got frustrated. But my grandma was always gentle and calm. My own granddaughter is 4 now. I look forward to trying to teach her, if she's interested, in about a year.

Q7: I’d like to have some Etsy store-like gameplay, as well as donation gameplay with Knitting. For those of you who may have gone down those paths in real life, what were some interesting takeaways or stories you’d like to see represented? No experience here

Q8: Lets say a Sim is wearing an awful, itchy sweater that they’re wearing only because somebody gifted it for them. What kind of things would you like to see happen to them? Wear it for Grandma, then try not to get caught scratching and wincing behind her back.

Q9: I need your best Knitting puns. Feed them to me. Undoing knitting stitch by stitch is called "tinking" -- tink = knit spelled backwards. If you have to pull out large sections of work ("rip" it out), it's called "frogging" or "visiting the frog pond" (rip-it, rip-it).

Q10: This is my biggest question, so I saved it for last. Should the “Teach to Knit” interaction mentioned above be autonomous? No. In real life it has to be consensual, and sometimes people do say no, especially children. It should definitely be user-directed.

Thank you for asking all this stuff. I'm finding this so exciting! My two favorite things put together, knitting and Sims!
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited March 2020
    Q1:
    I do think they should be sellable with GTW either on the table or the wall. I'm not sure fame is needed. I'd like to see cats be able to play with yarn, maybe even while the sim is knitting as well. It might take them longer to complete a project with a cat around.

Q2:
    I don't knit or crochet so I'd never notice the difference. :D

Q3:
    Again, I don't knit so I'd probably use it. That said though, most of the people in my life who do knit, do it in front of the TV so maybe we can multi-task those things?

Q4:
    Definitely agree with this. I've known no one to complete a knitting project in one sitting unless it was very small.

Q5:
    No. Even if you have to just let them sit on the ground.

Q6:
    I guess it could look something similar to the "help with homework" interaction, except maybe they could sit with the sim instead of standing since I've already said no to knitting standing up.

Q7:
    I've never done it, but I don't see why we couldn't have sims list things on the computer then use the mailbox to mail off their items.

Q8:
    Animations for itching. Uncomfortable moods. Shifting and rolling shoulders. Also a buff of happy when the item is now taken off, relief!

Q9:
    I don't know any!

Q10:
    I'd prefer to chose who they teach, and also have the option for the student to say no and maybe the "teacher" could be a little sad for awhile that the other doesn't want to learn their craft.

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    I definitely think knitting should be user-directed because I’m a storyteller and I would probably be like, “FOR THE LOVE OF SIMS, STOP KNITTING AND KISS YOUR CRUSH!!!” or something like that.

Also, just a thought: maybe the itchy sweater could cause sims to die of itchiness or something? Idk.
  • lakirelakire Posts: 75 Member
    edited March 2020
    @SimGuruConor

Q1: Cats and kittens playing with the yarn on the floor would be so cute and dogs, especially puppies messing it all up so the sim has to start over and personally, I don’t want it to be fame provided.

Q2: I’d like that the sims could be able to do both knitting, crocheting and sewing with different kinds of stitches, patterns and being able to sew, knit, or crochet hats, gloves/mittens, scarfs, potholders for the kitchen, clothes, functional stockings for Christmas and blankets and stuff like that.

Q3: For me, it only would come in handy if one can build a yarn shop. I’d probably never use it in my game otherwise.

Q4: I’d LOVE to be able to have my sim multitasking, like sewing or knitting whilst watching TV at the same time and then the projects would take longer to craft and depending on the size of the project and if they’ll be able to add stuff afterwards. For example: lets say that a sim has knit a sweater or cardigan and wants to add buttons to it and then, the sim has to sew them onto the sweater or cardigan. Or another example: Lets say that a sim has knit a hat and wants to add a knitted or another detail on it, like ears, nose or eyes if it’s an animal hat. Then the sim has to knit the ears separately and then sew them onto the hat or if it’s eyes or nose, the sim has to sew them onto the hat. It'd also be fun if clothes, stuffed animals and stuff could break and needed to be patched or repaired.
    Sorry if this was too much! but I like step-by-step things and I’m extremely excited for this pack!!

Q5: NOOOO! I want my sims to sit while kitting or sewing and crafting in general. On the floor or on the sofa doesn't matter to me as long as they're sitting

Q6: This made me extremely emotional! This feature would mean THE WORLD to me! I was taught how to knit and sew by my grandma who passed away some years ago and I was very close to her.

Q7: Donate clothes and knitted blankets to old sims would be cool and some kind of online shop to buy material from, like, sewing needles, knitting and crochet needles in different sizes and thickness, knitting and crochet yarn, sewing thread and other stuff that’s needed when crafting. And I'd love to have a physical shop for it as well.

Q8: This was a hard one, I usually get small red itchy dots on my back and arms if I don’t wear something underneath.

Q9: I don’t know any jokes about knitting, crocheting or sewing.

Q10: I'd like to be able to choose what sims I want to learn knitting or sewing myself. In my own RL family, we’re only 2 who does knitting, sewing and/or crocheting. Me and my mum. My dad and siblings don’t have any interests at all in this kind of stuff. One idea would be to make autonomously and fame as an option in settings so those who want to have it can turn it on and those who don't want to have it can turn it off in the settings menu.
    Post edited by lakire on
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    I did type out a long rambling answer and the computer ate it. So basically what everyone else says but with a few tweaks to question 1:
    Which would be cross pack interactions.
    Sulani : There are some crochet type tops in game for children and bikini's for adults, it would be good if you could go to Sulani and have these as regional patterns you could only learn there.
    Cats and Dogs: Again a regional pattern only learnt in Brindleton bay by some crusty old fisherman who taught how to knit a Guernsey or fishermans rib type jumper, probably up at the lighthouse museum or something and of course dog coats and tiny cat toys.
    Get Famous: gain fame yarn bombing doesn't have to be good fame or bad fame, fame is fame only yarn bombing can be good or bad.
    Seasons: Have Father Winter give the gift of a woolly jumper itchy or non itchy depending how he feels about your sim.
    Realm of Magic: Witchy knitters could do a knitted curse, (really itchy jumper that feels like the sim is wearing barbed wire) or the soothing socks of serenity that actually effect the energy level of the sim gifted with them. Maybe even a hat of wisdom that increases the sims skill building while wearing it.
    Vampires: Little knitted bats for baby vampires to play with or a little kiddie mobile of knitted bats
    Get to Work: knitted aliens!
    Over and out but thank you for asking for feedback, that's an awesome move.
  • noorapnoorap Posts: 8 New Member
    I'll just answer the ones where I have an opinion :smile:

Q2: Better to have them than not, even if it isn't completely realistic. Besides, you'd be surprised at the range of items that can be knitted.

Q5: There are even stories that people used to knit while walking. So yes, you could knit standing up.

Q6: When my gran taught me to crochet, she would show me a bit, then I'd take over the crocheting and try the same. We'd pass it back and forth for a bit until I got a hang of it. I guess the same would go for knitting (which I learned later at school). When we were taught knitting at school, we'd go to the teacher if something went wrong and they'd fix it. Maybe that could be an interaction too, beginners running to an experienced knitter for help when the knitting is falling apart.

Q8: Sims with certain traits like "good" or "family oriented" might have a positive moodlet just for wearing it because someone made it for them with love. Others might only have a positive moodlet when the person who made it is present, like "I'm glad they see I'm wearing this", and then perhaps an "dang this is itchy" negative moodlet when they aren't around. Evil sims might perhaps be annoyed by it all the time. Also, wearing a sweater around the person who made it should give a bit of friendship gain. And the person who made it might get a positive moodlet, either "ooh, my grandson loves my sweater" if they're nice or "haha, I'm making my grandson wear that horrible itchy sweater" if they're evil.

Q10: Yes, teach to knit should be autonomous. When my gran taught me crocheting and cross stitching it was her idea, not mine. I didn't protest though. Creative sims might be more receptable to the autonomous teaching, others might perhaps protest or refuse? I'd love seeing a "I don't like crafts" trait because some people really don't have the patience.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top