March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Knitting Gameplay Questions for the Community!

Comments

• NikquinNikquin Posts: 3 New Member
    @SimGuruConor

A1: Yes please for retail and yard sales! NO please no no no for fame! Suggestion for tying in with other packs, cats and dogs, definitely need cats, should play with yarn! Maybe they destroy projects and you can scold their poor behavior but I would not want them to completely stop playing with yarn should they become successfully scolded. Maybe an knitting arts and crafts course with university, maybe cursed or hexed items for witches, maybe a "spend quality time with...." for parenthood where the interaction can only be done with teens and child aged sims in the household that boosts their relationship.

A2: Although I do not knit or crochet I do know they are not the same. I don't believe having a sim "knit" and the product look crocheted would be appropriate. But again, I do neither, just know others who do and are usually pretty adamant that they are not the same.

A3: As you said, no one sits at a desk to knit. I didn't even vote for these items due to that. If they do get voted in, a focused moodlet I guess would be appropriate for doing so at a desk.

A4: I am unsure the time length it should take but I do really like the idea of projects being able to be continued on should the sim need to stop in the middle of it. This also leads me to think that since we do not have alot of interactions that cause a boredom moodlet, maybe if you que up 3x in a row they become bored after the 3rd, this could also be determined on their skill level, maybe at a certain level they no longer become bored and instead can gain a focused moodlet. And for children or teens (given that in real life their attention spans are not as long) maybe after the 2x que they become bored and like adults maybe they enjoy it after a certain skill level.

A5: Yes, standing and knitting is a go, but honestly think they should kneel not stand. And if doing it with another sim, and only one can sit, then the other sim could kneel. Otherwise, if no seating is available they could kneel together like when parents help children and teens with school projects.

A6: This question I'm not sure how to answer. I suppose my previous answers could suffice. I think rocking and knitting would be great (PS. I've been praying for rocking chairs FOREVER! So excited for this!)

A7: Yard sales/vendor tables are a must! But I think gifting items made would be great too!

A8: I love all your ideas and suggestions. I think the direction you're going with it is great! I like that idea of folding arms to cover it yet if the relationship is high they gain positive moodlets and show it off happily.

A9: Ha! This is an awesome question and actually, when I read it I instantly thought of my friend who can knit and crochet. I personally do not have any due to not being talented like this in real life, I would defer such things to the knitting experienced replying simmers. :smile:

A:10 This is the question that made me decide I definitely wanted to answer your post. In my personal opinion, I would not be pleased with autonomous knitting interactions, conversations or skill gains. In real life, my mother is a phenomenally skilled in sewing, who learned so from my father's mother. Her own mother (my grandmother) is an amazing knitter and crocheter, however my mother could care less for the skill and knowledge of how to do it even though she grew up with it. And as for me in real life, I can't sew, knit, crochet nor do I have any desire to do so. With that said, I would be against any autonomous interactions that causes OTHER sims to gain the skill.

Thank you for asking the community's opinions! I hope we help you and we look forward to see what you come up with!

Nikquin
  • annalephantannalephant Posts: 98 Member
    edited March 2020
    hi Conor, its so lovely to have you here and to actually have the dev team asking the advice of game players, in particular those of us who do knit, on the technical aspects of the gameplay. It makes me feel like the pack has the potential to be really good and indepth. So i will do my best to answer your questions as best i can.

Q1: Crosspack! I’m planning on making Knitting compatible with things like Get to Work Retail Lots (including Mannequins!), Get Together’s Club Rules, and City LIving’s Yard Sale Table. What else would provide fun crosspack functionality? For example, should knitting provide Fame in some way?

No i dont think knitting as a skill itself should be a fame item, BUT i do think think that being able to blog, vlog and simstagram your knitting projects is a realistic way to turn knitting in to fame related content. It sounds stupid but i am quite heavilt involved with the uk knitting community, particularly online. i get recognised at uk knitting shows and know a lot of the big names in the uk yarn community. there is a real instagram community out there as well as a lot of use of websites like facebook and ravelry.com to share knitting knowledge and projects that people have made, designs they have written etc. Podcasts and knitting vlogs are becoming increasingly popular too. so that would be a good thing to incorporate. I definitely want to be able to have a knitting club and i would be happy selling my knitted wares in a retail store or on a yard sale table, but id LOVE it if we went a step further and had a craftables sales table and perhaps a weekly craft market, perhaps at the park in willow creek? a place where a sim can go to sell their hand makes- woodworking, flower aranging, knitted projects etc etc. I would love for my cats and kittens to be able to play with a ball of yarn. I wonder if we could add some spice to the game by having an occassional buff/pop up where doing laundry with laundry day stuff pack results in one of your hand knits being shrunk and felted and lost.... it happens in real life, right when you least expect it and its bloody gutting! realistic gameplay and all that lol.

Q2: If some “Crochet-Like” objects became craftable through Knitting, how would you personally feel? Happy? Enraged? Strong sense of ennui? We can’t guarantee unique animations for crocheting, but I’d like to still potentially provide them as a craftable object for players.
    Im gonna rock the boat here. I am a knitter and a knitting snob and oh so particular in pointing out when someone links me to some gorgeous "knitting" that is actually crochet. For the purposes of this pack and satisfying game play i would actually be ok with making a compromise and having crocheted items labelled as knitted. When time and resources are limited i would rather the budget be spent on a greater range of gameplay options and craftable items than wasted on animating everything a second time to distinguish between knitted and crocheted items. If it was a game pack i might feel differently but this is only a stuff pack and time is money etc etc.

Q3: There’s a cool crafty desk floating around in concept art that you guys may have seen (49 - 52 in the object vote). What would knitting at one of these desks mean to you, if anything? Asking around the office, nobody knits at a desk, but I’m curious if anyone would find value if the new crafting desk tied in with knitting somehow.
    A crafting desk would mean storage to me, a place to store my knitting patterns, my needles and notions and to some extent my stash. Nope no-one knits at a desk, but you might plan projects, look at patterns, organise your stash and even design knew knits at a desk. Mostly though my craft room covers multiple crafts and my craft table is well used and covered in crafty bits and bobs, is an essential part of my knitting space, but ultimately isnt part of the knitting process. So i think it would be more of a decorative object to me. HOWEVER, if you are including quite a few home decor items as craftables- table lamps, wall canvases etc, these require construction after the main knitting is complete. A jumper or garment needs to be blocked and sewn up. these are things that could be done at a crafting table. I have mentionned above the concept of a crafting sales table- i guess in part i would rather dev time was used to make a craft sales table with game play elements and left the crafting desk as a deco object without gameplay. However i could see the crafting desk being a good place to house a user interface for picking and designing new knitting projects. I wrote about this concept in another post which i will go find in a minute and link here as i think it would be a really cool way to manage crafting projects as a whole and realistic to real life too.

Q4: I’d like Knitting to actually take some time to craft, something Sims can save for later and come back to. In your experience, how long have some of your knitting projects taken? I’ll try not to make it feel too grindy, but definitely longer than it takes to paint in our game.
    Im a knitter of socks as my main favourite thing to produce. you are looking at 20 hours knitting time on average to knit a pair of socks in 4ply (thin yarn). around 100 hours minimum to knit a bedspread in a chunky yarn. I really feel that this is one of the most essential things to get right in this pack- that knitting garments should not be fast, that they should take x number of knitting sessions/blocks to complete a project over time. not sit down to knit in the morning and you have a jumper ready by tea time. it needs to vary with garment size, complexity, and thickness of yarn. I have said before that i would be happy to work with the team to give realistic time spans for different knitted objects- you really want knitting to be a skill that unlocks different level projects over time, so that fast simple knits in chunky yarns using basic techniques are available at the beginning and then as skill improves new patterns are unlocked (perhaps through purchasing and/or reading pattern books) so that more complex patterns are achieveable over time. For example- level one knitters can knit a simple single coloured scarf. level 2 a hat with block colour striping. level 3 a plain knit jumper. level 4 a cushion with cable detail. level 5 an advanced jumper with 6 colour fairisle patterning. For me it would totally spoil the pack if i can cast on a fairisle jumper at level one and produce something of quality. i want my initial knits to be poor quality and then as my skill and experience increases so does my quality and complexity of my work. Level 10 should be matching novelty fair isle jumpers for all the family.

Q5: If your Sim wanted to knit something, but they couldn't find a place to sit, would you be okay with them standing up and knitting? Asking for a friend...
    Totally acceptable, as others have pointed out there is a history to knitting on foot. However if there is a way to set a preference to seated knitting where possible i would include that.

Q6: Along with the Mentor interaction, I’d like to include a proper “Teach to Knit” interaction. I’d love to have that moment where the Knitting Master granny teaches their grandchild how to knit. For those of you who experienced similar things, what was that experience like for you? I’m curious what people think this should look like - both animation and story wise.
    Hmmm interesting concept. I like the idea of master knitter teaches to knit, but it doesnt have to be a granny. i think from halfway onwards in the skill progression you should be able to teach another sim to knit. For sims that dont know how to knit perhaps they can learn from simtube or a book or even go to a knitting class on the university campus, but one to one tutorials should defintiely come with a bonus on speed of learning. one to one knitting tutorial is always more effective than other methods. I think there should be a chance in the early stages of a sim getting frustrated and falling out with their mentor, throwing their needles down in defeat- akin to city living and sims needing to perservere with eating spicey foods and using chopsticks! But i wouldnt want it to completely hinder mentoring to the point of it becoming impossible. i just like the idea of my sim giving up during their first attempt and me having to set them back to the task to try again later after they have calmed down. similar could happen with sims attempting a pattern that is above their skill level.

Q7: I’d like to have some Etsy store-like gameplay, as well as donation gameplay with Knitting. For those of you who may have gone down those paths in real life, what were some interesting takeaways or stories you’d like to see represented?
    Yes donating to charity is a big part of knitting so i think that would be a good feature. honestly, selling knitting on etsy is not at all profitable or easy and if you as any crafter they will tell you that it is really really difficult to make any kind of living from knitting. however i do still want to be able to make a living from selling crafted items in the game for the sake of rags to riches purposes, self sufficient sims living off the grid etc etc, but it shouldnt be a lucrative easy option. For me again id rather have a craftables sales table than selling items on etsy and i honestly think that certain items should be more profitable to sell than others, as is the way with the real world. certain patterns that are cute and catch people's attentions, are fast to knit and use cheaper materials are the way to make money, but you cant for example, sell knitted 4ply socks for anywhere near a living wage/cost of materials. you have to be selling the right thing to the right people. Taking on comissions as a level 10 knitter who is highly skilled and willing to spend an extended amount of time knitting a fair isle jumper or an hierloom family blanket, an intricate baby shawl etc- people will pay hundreds for items like that which have been crafted by highly skilled knitters, but will only pay a few pounds for a simple knitted hat that is cheap and fast to produce, but essentially much cheaper to buy a mass produced machine made version in shops. reflecting this often misunderstood aspect of crafting in the pack would be absolutely brilliant and would bring a whole new dimension to the pack. can your sim find the right combinations to make knitting pay and launch their career as a high end knitwear designer and social media star, or are you doomed to an eternity of unwanted mishapen itchy teacosy hats from grandma for winterfest each year?

Q8: Lets say a Sim is wearing an awful, itchy sweater that they’re wearing only because somebody gifted it for them. What kind of things would you like to see happen to them?
    i would like to see some discomfort buffs, some wardrobe malfunctions where low quality knits disintegrate, a sense of obligation to wear said item being communicated through the game. but in the same breath sims who are wearing a decent quality knit that has been gifted to them by a friend or loved one should be happy and getting positive buffs from knowing that they are wearing a woolly hug and are wrapped up in love.

Q9: I need your best Knitting puns. Feed them to me.
    i like big balls and a i cannot lie. totes amazeballs. winter is coming, knit faster. i knit so i dont stab people with pointy things. oh the knitty puns are endless, i will try and find some stuff to link you to. lots of woolly and ewe related jokes usually. ewenique etc etc

Q10: This is my biggest question, so I saved it for last. Should the “Teach to Knit” interaction mentioned above be autonomous? While this might sound trivial, I feel this is very important for gameplay. I’m interested how people would feel about their level 10 knitter trying to spread their knitting knowledge on others. Let's say you have someone in your family who is a level 10 knitter, if this interaction is autonomous the entire house is going to get a real deep dive into knitting, perhaps constantly.

What are your thoughts on potentially “story intrusive” interactions like this, would you be okay to find your family one day all high-level knitters through natural autonomy? Or should this only be user-directed, meaning on you have the ability to choose who gets schooled on knitting. I’d love to hear your thoughts about these sorts of things.

Im going to land on the side of NO. i think knitting is best kept self contained and only shared by sims in appropriate situations. i think it could become really annoying if every bloody sim in the world takes up knitting like happened with every single townie in the game turning up in the magic realm. I think its best if you leave it for players to decide who gets to knit in game. there is nothing to stop us using cheats or MCCC to add the knitting skill to other sims if we want them to be knitters for storytelling purposes.

thanks again for coming to us with these questions. its really lovely to meet a member of staff who is clearly passionate about getting the game mechanics right for this pack. whilst i LOVE knitting and want desperately for this pack to represent the world of knitting as i know it, as a 30 something who has worked in a knitting shop so knows both the traditional granny end of the market as well as the contemporary young knitting movements, i have been really worried that the pack could be a complete let down or dissapointment because of lack of research and effort on the pack development side. the kind of questions you are asking excites me and makes me hope that the game play elements may well be more developed than i feared. thank you!!!

If you have any technical questions at all i would be more than happy to help the team with information :)

Anna

• RetrogloryRetroglory Posts: 1 New Member
    First of all, I love that you are including us in this process. I love seeing the behind the scenes aspects of the packs. I hope we can continue to provide feedback in the future on other projects.

Q1: I don’t think knitting and fame go together, but I love the idea of crosspacks! Being able to knit something for a mannequin for your shop would be so fun. To me this leans towards maybe a small business owner, which I love that idea of having a unique shop with handmade items. We should also have the option to have it as a class in University. A knitting club would be fun to have as well.

Q2: I don’t really have an opinion on this one. It wouldn’t matter to me.

Q3: I like the idea of the desk to hold supplies. Or maybe knitting at a desk gives you different options then just sitting at a chair doing it.

Q4: I personally don’t knit, but I would love it if Sims could stop and save their knitting for later. Maybe they want to get outside, so they take their project to the park.

Q5: I think either sitting or standing would be perfectly fine.

Q6: I don’t really have experience with this, but I love the idea of being able to teach kids to knit. Maybe they can somehow hold the supplies for the kid and the kid accidentally pokes their hand or finger with the needle. Might be a funny little animation to add into the game.

Q7: I like to buy items from Etsy, and although I don’t sell myself, I love this idea of being able to sell on a store like that. Again, it adds to the notion of having like a small business going that you sell hand crafted items. Donation gameplay would be cool as well.

Q8: I think the Sim could get a rash and maybe an oatmeal bath helps them. Maybe they pull at the collar when it’s too itchy or hot as well.

Q9: I don’t have any for you. Sorry!

Q10: I want to choose who learns and who doesn’t. I like the ability to control my Sims in that aspect of things, and having them learn on their own is not something I want to happen.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited March 2020
    I don't think anyone should gain the skill autonomously but I think those with a certain level of knitting skill should automatically do interactions that involve knitting whether it's an idle or showing off their knitted wares as well as your sim being able to "ask how to knit" from those who are practiced in the craft. It will add personality. Stuff like that and DEEPER TRAITS is what this game needs. The team desperately needs to overhaul traits to be stronger and better to differentiate each sim.
    Post edited by alan650111 on
  • nah.simmernah.simmer Posts: 1 New Member
    Q1: Crosspack is perfect! Fame doesn't match knitting in my opinion.
    In addition to the options mentioned, I would like to be able to make clothes for pets, and scarves and clothes for Seasons.

Q2: Happy.

Q3: I would be very happy! Please make it functional.

Q4: The time when the sim paints two large pictures seems reasonable.

Q5: Both.

Q6: I loved that idea!

Q10: I prefer that it is not autonomous.
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    1. Having the small objects as toys for children and toddlers that they can play with such as the grim or the turtle. Knit small toys can be named and given as a gift. Have the toys look worn for teen or adult but then add a happy buff for good memories when displayed. Also please can we have kittens attacking the yarn while the SIM is knitting? We have no good special animations for kittens really. Parenthood: encourage child or teen to wind down with knitting
    2. I would just like them as neutral clutter objects.
    3. Ditch the craft desk and make the pack good in other ways
    4. About the cadence of writing a book and it gets shorter as the skill increases
    5. They should sit still (not like the musical chairs at mealtime)
    6. Granny casts on a few stitches, hands it to the child. Have a variety of responses to dropping a stitch for both the teacher and student based on the traits of the SIM. Praise up the child once the project is done.
    7. It would be cool to visit the hospital and give lap blankets to patients.
    8. Nothing most of the time but when they got to do something more active like cooking or painting or gardening or hugging another SIM about 1 in 5 times they get itchy and have to change.
    9. Don't get you knitting in a twist.
    10. Autonomous but can cancel out.
  • shakerellashakerella Posts: 321 Member
    Q1: Crosspack! I like all of the ideas you mentioned. Cats & Dogs - how adorable if they could wear something we knitted. Seasons - Sweaters, Hats, Mittens, Scarves. Agreeing with previous comments: Laundry Day shrinking of garments. Giving items made as gifts. Talking about crafts.

Q2: Happy if it came out great, Embarrassed if it was poor quality, or Eh, if it was mediocre.

Q3: I don't knit, but when I see people doing it they are in a chair or on the sofa. Where they can be comfortable. I do have one friend with some kind of knitting machine that has to be on a table.

Q4: Please don't make it take too long. I get bored waiting on these sims to finish up sometimes. I would say same as woodworking table.

Q5: Sure

Q6: Great!! I love that you want to add mentoring and teaching to knit! Not just knitting but making other crafts too. I think you would look up to and feel love and happiness towards the person teaching you. Unless you were tired or hungry. Then you couldn't focus.

Q7: That would be super cool. Imagine selling enough of your homemade items and being able to fund and open a retail store!

Q8: Scratching themselves, jumping around (kind of like their dancing), rubbing self on the corner or wall, uncomfortable emotion. Happy when they change clothes.

Q9:
    I need to unwind.
    I make yarn disappear What's your magic?
    I practice Stitch Craft.
    My doctor suggested a high fiber diet, so I went yarn shopping.
    Knit Happens.
    My Weapons of Choice (showing knitting needles).
    Knitting is Knotty.
    Knitting Takes Balls.
    And Sew it Begins.
    I'm off the Hook.
    Captain Hook.
    Stitches be Slippin.

Q10: I think it would be ok. Sims are constantly telling other sims where/how to catch fish but they are not all running to go fish. If you love to knit and are good at it then you should share what you know. And you would be happy doing so.

You have great ideas already! I like them all and can't wait to see what else you come up with!

My Current Challenge: Drifter House Challenge
  • FibifibiFibifibi Posts: 4 New Member
    Q1: You should totally go for making use of knitting in Yard Sales tables and Get To Work shops, and the club of old ladies who like to gossip and knit can't function without knitting as a club rule.

Q2: As I person who loves making things on crochet I think you should totally go for that, even if it wouldn't have its unique animation, the feeling of accomplishment when you finish a toy or anything else is great and I want my Sims to feel the same way.

Q3: I also don't knit nor crochet on the desk and to be fair I don't think that's really comfortable.

Q4: When I make an amigurumi or another toy it usually takes me 2 to 4 afternoons, depending on how much free time I have. And I completely agree with the idea that Sims should be able to leave their project for later. It is very unrealistic enough when they can write a book in one afternoon.

Q5: I don't see why not. Mrs Crumplebottom used to knit while standing (yes, I'm asking you to bring Mrs Crumplebottom back, she was and still is the queen of Sims drama)

Q6: Ohhhh, that's how I started. My aunt used to teach me. We were sat next to each other on the sofa, I was trying to make the easiest things and from time to time she took the crochet from me and made some stitches herself to show me how it was supposed to be done.

Q8: Definitely feeling uncomfortable and scratching their torso. I think that after some time they should automatically change their top to t-shirt or something just to show that they took off the jumper because it was too much for them.

Q10: It would be interesting to see this as an autonomous interaction, however I can already see people complaining they have to cancel this interaction all the time, because grandma wants to give a knitting lesson.
  • haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    edited March 2020
    I love these questions! <3

A1: Crosspack sounds awesome! I'm excited about club rules and yard sale tables. I also love other simmers' ideas about pets and toddlers being able to play with yarn and bother a sim that is knitting, knitted items possibly shrinking/being ruined in washing machine and needing to be hand washed to avoid it and new club icons for Get Together to mention a few.

I'd also like to suggest Kids Room Stuff and that sims should be able to knit voidcritter toys/decor. There could be a couple of voidcritter swatches for, for exmaple, 38, 40, 44 and 45. How cute would it be if a grandparent could knit a voidcritter toy for their grandchild that is crazy over the critters, or just voidcritter fans knitting them together :smile:
    Here are some knitted pokemons to represent what knitted voidcritters could look like HApHrLG.png

A2: I would prefer crocheting animation, but if it can't be done it's okay. Crocheting is cool and it would be cool to be able to craft crocheting items as well.

A3: I hope knitting is not restricted to a desk. My sims want to knit anywhere. I'm not actually that excited about the desk, though it is pretty.

A4: I would love knitting to take some time, so that sims don't produce knitted items too quickly. I'm not a very fast knitter, so when I knitted a beanie it took me a day or two I think, even though I knitted rather intensively. If I knitted something harder it would require even more time.

A5: Standing is perfectly fine if they can't find a place to sit! I actually think it would look cute. Perhaps it could be harder/slower though, or uncomfortable after some time, especially for newbie knitters.

A6: I remember that when I couldn't knit something or made a mistake I would run to my mom and ask her to fix it for me. Something like that might be fun in the game as well :smiley: Maybe those sims that are just starting to learn to knit could make mistakes with their knitting and then there would be possibility to ask mentor to help. Newbie knitters could also try to fix it by themselves, but it could impact on the quality of the item.

A10: Not autonomous, please. I rather decide the sims who knit :)
    Post edited by haisin on
  • SimalleyaileSimalleyaile Posts: 865 Member
    edited March 2020
    Q1: Crosspack! Parenthood: develop emotional control when kids and teens knit, Spa Day: use oatmeal soak to alleviate itchy skin from wool allergy. Cats and Dogs: kitties play with ball of wool.

Q2: “Crochet-Like” objects - awesome!

Q3: Crafty desk - throwing a cat among the pigeons here, but I feel a craft desk would be better suited to a separate crafting skill - I'd love to have a craft desk that seats 4 sims - child through to elder could use it, where they could craft things together. This would build not only their skill and fun, but give relationship points too. I'm hoping this could come with another hobbies gamepack or thrown into an expansion pack. concept:
    Kbexouk.jpg
    6dx5ugf.jpg
    So a functioning craft desk for just a knitting stuff pack would feel limited for me, as it the desk couldn't be added to for other craft items. For this pack, I'd be happy with just a normal functioning desk, or as other have suggested, a storage facility.

Q4: time to craft: I'd love for different projects to have different times, so I choose what they'll craft depending on my sims' situations.

Q5: standing up and knitting? Of course! Haven't you heard of Mrs Crumplebottom?
    DouaLLR.jpg
    She's the whole reason I've wanted knitting in the first place. I'd watch her knit - standing up - and think, "aw, wish my sims could knit, I'd love them to be able to knit things." Plus, we already have standing to knit in Sims 4 in Discover University, it would be pretty frustrating if our sims couldn't do the same. Chair first, yes, option to stand? Absolutely.

Q6: “Teach to Knit” - I would love to have some warm fuzzy buffs given to grandchildren if they're grandma or pa are teaching them. Then as adults, while they knit I'd love to get random reminiscing buffs about how they were taught by their loved one. My mother left me in awe with how fast and proficient she could knit. So an inspired buff would fit too.

Q10: Should the “Teach to Knit” interaction mentioned above be autonomous? *Prays to sim god in sim heaven for the result to be no*.
    I rotate through a lot of sims, and often play them on community lots where they all interact - including skill building. I'd be so disappointed to load up a family and find all the work has been taken from me, I didn't get to choose who loves knitting and who doesn't. I like to play the game myself, not have the game play for me. I've been disappointed with my spellcasters who have leveled up without me. when I go to play them I think, well, what's left for me to do? And I really, really want something new I can do with my sims. I'd love to have the option: "Ask to teach knitting" from another sim with a higher skill level though. That way, my sims can learn from each other, but I still get to direct who's a knitter and who's not.

Thanks for the questions and it was great to read about what sort of things you've already been discussing for the gameplay of this pack. BTW, that dog knitting in bed? how ballistic would we all go if we could knit in bed, and watch TV and chat with the sim beside ours while sipping tea!
    It makes me wonder, how much multi-tasking will be enabled while knitting?
  • 9se9sara9se9sara Posts: 1 New Member
    Q1: I don't think sims should gain fame from it. I do think sims could take a skill and/or elective class in uni about kniting! I'm hoping that there will be some craftable hats, gloves, scarves??? lol, that keep you warm in the cold weather with seasons.

Q2: I'd be estatic if crochet made it in!

Q3: I'd love to be able to craft at any desk, including the craft desk. I'd also like to be able to knit in any chair too.

Q5: I'd be ok with it!

Q6: I have nothing to add to this but I just have to say I seriously hope this makes it in! I'm all for gameplay for elders and youngsters!

Q7: I don't have an Etsy store, but I do sell clothes online. For me it's a lot of chit chatting with customers, answering questions they might have, and when I make a sale I wrap it up in tissue paper and ribbon and put in a thank you note. The wrapping up all pretty like would be cool as an optional thing when a sim makes a sale! Also to add onto that, it would be cool if it cost a little money to wrap it up because in real life it costs money to get the supplies. I've also made some online friends from meeting other people selling and from repeat customers. It'd be cool if we could make friends from doing that. As for the actual selling you gotta get a nice clean looking backround and good lighting. Maybe the photography equipment from Get to Work or Moschino stuff could play into that? Yay for more cross pack compatibility!

Q8: I can't wear wool things because I'm super senesitive to the itchiness. Maybe a sim could get an uncomfortable moodlet because of itchiness or it being too warm because wool can get really hot. An embarrased moodlet would be nice too if the sweater is ugly. Or a moodlet that's like heartwarming if a family member knitted it for them. The moodlets could happen randomly so not every sim gets the same moodlet.

Q9: Why did the kleptomaniac only knit metal sweaters? They had to steel wool! I was walking down the road the other day and saw a guy knitting while driving. I yelled, "pull over!" He said, "no sweater". Someone told me that it takes 5 sheep to knit a sweater. I didn't know they could knit!

Q10: I'd want it to be user controlled. I don't neccesarily want all my sims to be knitters so I feel having the interaction autonomous would mess with that.
  • JMEllis2020JMEllis2020 Posts: 25 Member
    Q1: Yes to Crosspack, I'm going to go get my Yard Sale Table set up now, and make my knitting club for all my elders. As far as fame, I could see them getting a very small amount from selling it maybe, but not an important option to me.

Q2: I wouldn't mind, but I'd really like a unique animation if it were possible. I wouldn't be super upset though, I understand that a stuff pack is limiting with animations.

Q3: I like the desks as an item that connects together, its a smart idea. I don't think it has to tie into knitting, but I would be fine if it did

Q4: In my experience and knowledge of other's experience, it really depends on the person doing the knitting. At low levels it should take a lot longer, but at higher levels it may take about the same amount of time as a painting does. Maybe it could change based on what you are knitting also, larger items would take longer and smaller would take less. It would depend on skill and the size of the item basically.

Q5: The more options for places to knit the better. Laying in bed, laying on the couch, sitting at a desk, sitting on the couch, sitting in the rocking chair, standing up, or pretty much anywhere you could think of should be an option.

Q6: Frustration at first, but each time it leads to less frustration, then eventually into happiness once you get to a certain skill level. It should also have an effect on the friendship level too, small at first, then increase as you learn the skill from that same grandparent. Not sure about animations though, I'll leave that to everyone else. I want them to be able to do this when they are kids too. We need more generational interaction/gameplay. If we had more of those things, we would play elders more and kids/teens more. Even Toddlers could maybe watch a grandparent and learn something or maybe if they watch them long enough they could unlock a buff for the future where knitting may come easier to a toddler that watched someone knit for a long time. Just ideas, sorry, went a little long on that answer. We just need all of this in this game please.

Q7: This goes back to the question about how long things should take, I believe at skill level 10 it should take a lot less time than skill level 1 and it should create more higher quality items at 10 than 1 as well. I'd love to have an online selling table type option where you can put items on there that you create or purchase. Then you can check back and you receive stuff if it sells, kind of like an auction house in world of warcraft. This could also be where the fame comes from if you make knitting give fame, but only from items you craft or paint or make not the items you purchase. The service could cost a certain percentage of your sells per week and then you get the remaining balance weekly.

Q8: Maybe these itchy sweater moodlet would be for poor or normal quality knits, then there would be a positive moodlet for higher quality knits.

Q9: I'm sorry, I'm not punny, The other simmers will have to simulate some punniness for your use. Not knitting around...idk lol

Q10: I'd love to see these mentor actions be autonomous, but I want there to be an option to turn that on and off so if it gets too crazy we can nip it in the bud lol. I definitely want autonomous knitting though, but as far as the mentoring of skills either way would work for me as long as it doesn't happen constantly
  • Ladybug_COBLadybug_COB Posts: 19 Member
    Q1- I think it would be cool to be able to knit fishing nets to caught fish. Also be able to make mittens and scarves for Seasons.

Q2- I would love to have the more crochet-like objects become craftable. Believe it will bring cohesion to the game.

Q3- Love the crafting desk options, but I'm not sure I would want to use it just for knitting alone. I think it's more for crafting other elements, for example a combination of drawing, painting, flower arranging, as well as knitting.

Q4- I'm not sure how long it should take (please not as long as creating the phone app lol), but I definitely think that as the Sim as more experience the quicker it should take for them to complete a project.

Q5- I guess standing would be ok. Not my favorite idea, but if there's nowhere to sit I'd rather them stand and knit rather than act like they can't do anything.

Q6- When my aunt tried to show me how to knit, she would have her needles and I'd have mine. She'd do a few stitches (or whatever it's called) and I'd try to copy her. I think that would be a nice interaction between two Sims.

Q7- Having the popularity and foot traffic to your site. The more popular your site is the more orders come in. Also people have deadlines on when they want their items, so maybe that can be incorporated as well.

Q8- I think the Sim should scratch, stretch it out uncomfortably, get hives or something, or become embarrassed from wearing it.

Q9- Ummm...I dunno. I'm no good at this.... "Does it look like I give a knit?"

Q10- I think it could be annoying, but my Sims now randomly brag about their tiny houses now too, so why not add knitting?! LOL But honestly, I'd rather be the one to have them share, there may be a Sim I don't want to learn about knitting.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Welcome to the forums! Love the use of Gromit <3 Despite being a girl, I feel like Gromit is my spirit animal haha.

Q1: Crosspack; here are my ideas:

Outdoor Retreat > Soothing Skin Balm should remove the itchy moodlet from wearing Knitting!

Moodlet for being "cosy in the mountains" if wearing Knitting. I think it will help remind people that Granite Falls is up in the mountains and quite cold.

Get To Work > Retail, as you said.

Get Together > Club rules, 100%.

City Living > Flea Market, Yard Sale. Also it would be kind of cool if any knitting items that suit the theme of the festivals could be added to the lists.

Cats & Dogs > New cat toy - use the ball of yarn item double as a toy. Cats should be able to "destroy" some of the Wool based items in the pack.

Seasons > I think there should be a bonus moodlet if you are wearing knitting in the winter or cold days. Like a "extra cosy" positive moodlet.

Realm of Magic > So this is where I think it could be fun. If we can separate the knitting animations and the Sim so that it looks like the knitting is floating, it would be cool to think that a Spellcaster and conj-our up Knitting to create items while going about their day. It's a popular magical reference.

latest?cb=20140929142200

Q2: If some “Crochet-Like” objects became craftable through Knitting, how would you personally feel? Happy? Enraged? Strong sense of ennui? We can’t guarantee unique animations for crocheting, but I’d like to still potentially provide them as a craftable object for players.

Sounds fun! As long as we can create and sell them on retail lots etc I think it would be a lot of fun.

Q3: There’s a cool crafty desk floating around in concept art that you guys may have seen (49 - 52 in the object vote). What would knitting at one of these desks mean to you, if anything? Asking around the office, nobody knits at a desk, but I’m curious if anyone would find value if the new crafting desk tied in with knitting somehow.

I think it would be cool if it gave an extra buff. Like super focused or something. So rather than casually knitting where Sims can stop at any time, if a Sim does it at a desk it can be treated like the Sims will stay there until the action is done, rather than letting needs get in the way.

Think of it where a Sim paints at an Easel, they stay often until the painting is done, regardless of their needs. Whereas on the tablet, they seem to drop it and stop when one of their needs takes priority.

Q4: I’d like Knitting to actually take some time to craft, something Sims can save for later and come back to. In your experience, how long have some of your knitting projects taken? I’ll try not to make it feel too grindy, but definitely longer than it takes to paint in our game.

I think the higher the skill level, the quicker low skill items should take. But high skill items should take longer.

Q5: If your Sim wanted to knit something, but they couldn't find a place to sit, would you be okay with them standing up and knitting? Asking for a friend...

Yes! If Sims could sit on the ground that would be ideal ,but if not, then it would be better than Sims running around the whole Neighborhood looking for a chair. As long as it's not autonomous.

Q6: Along with the Mentor interaction, I’d like to include a proper “Teach to Knit” interaction. I’d love to have that moment where the Knitting Master granny teaches their grandchild how to knit. For those of you who experienced similar things, what was that experience like for you? I’m curious what people think this should look like - both animation and story wise.

Yes! A must. If possible, you could reuse coding from Spa Day and have a mini Knitting class. Have one Sim be the teacher, and other Sims follow along. Could be triggered via a certain object on a public lot.

Q7: I’d like to have some Etsy store-like gameplay, as well as donation gameplay with Knitting. For those of you who may have gone down those paths in real life, what were some interesting takeaways or stories you’d like to see represented?

With Donations, it could be cool if Sims can send them via the mailbox. And then a day or so later, it triggers a simple letter (like the one from Strangerville fridge scenario) that says thank you from the Donation group. That is quite common!

Q8: Lets say a Sim is wearing an awful, itchy sweater that they’re wearing only because somebody gifted it for them. What kind of things would you like to see happen to them?

Negative moodlet around itching.
    "Complain about uncomfortable sweater" interaction
    There's actually an itching animation already in game (Outdoor Retreat?) that you can reuse.

"Forget me Knit! - Thank you! Your donation won't be forgotten!"

Q10: This is my biggest question, so I saved it for last. Should the “Teach to Knit” interaction mentioned above be autonomous? While this might sound trivial, I feel this is very important for gameplay. I’m interested how people would feel about their level 10 knitter trying to spread their knitting knowledge on others. Let's say you have someone in your family who is a level 10 knitter, if this interaction is autonomous the entire house is going to get a real deep dive into knitting, perhaps constantly.

Could this be a reward trait? Expert Knitter? That way players can choose whether their Sims do this autonomously. Part of the trait could be that Sims knit in twice the time, and sell their Knitted items for more money. The other part is Sims will autonomously teahc other Sims to knit.

What are your thoughts on potentially “story intrusive” interactions like this, would you be okay to find your family one day all high-level knitters through natural autonomy? Or should this only be user-directed, meaning on you have the ability to choose who gets schooled on knitting. I’d love to hear your thoughts about these sorts of things.

Don't mind them if it's locked behind an opt in function, like reward traits.
    ____________________________________________________________________________

The early design process is a very fun time for me, and I hope I painted a picture of the sort of questions that get brought up during this development stage. Lemme know what you guys think!

One extra thing that I think would be awesome and in-scope, is an outdoor rocking swing. So basically, same animations, but Sims can sit outside and the swing moves rather than the rocking chair. A 2 for 1. If its too late, you could do it for another pack or patch :)
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Q1: There's a lot of wool/knitted objects and clothing already in other packs, so... I would like them to be knittable with the new skill. And, now that you are talking about clubs, I want to say that the club icons/logos are quite limited and most of the packs don't have new icons in both the club system and the calendar system. Having a custom tradition would also be cool, maybe during the fall the grannies/parents could start knitting their children one of those christmas sock or winter clothing to the family.

Q2: I would be happy to have a huge variety of knittable stuff, cuz its annoying to see the same paintings being painted over and over again.

Q3: Well, the table could be used to knit big objects like the number 31 coat rack, and the number 29 could be attached to the table as an alternative animation instead of using the same animation as knitting on the rocking chair or at the sofa or standing up.

Q4: Small and cheaper things should be easier and quicker to make, but bigger or expensive stuff could take some time. It really depends.

Q5: Yes, I'm ok if they stand up to knit IF it isn't the main/only animation for knitting.

Q6: Isn't there a "teach a skill" apiration reward trait or regular reward trait that allow us to teach those skills after reaching a certain level? Why it should be different tothe other skills... Doesn't sound fair. Then... I would suggest you to add all CAS skills to be buyable reward skills and all the reward skills as CAS skills. I know some people cheat to get extra skills, but some people don't like to cheat. I could want to create a night owl sim that can teach their skills from the CAS and be interested in buying skills like kleptomaniac or slob later on. Also, would love to have more trait slots added to the CAS. Thanks.

Q7: I don't have a store at ETSY, but would be cool if our sims could browse stores to buy crafted clothing furniture, get scammed or lucky to find something cheap... Not only for knittable stuff, but that wood working table too... Or even painting stores selling both paintings from the painting skill and paintings frm the build and buy catalog. I would also love to be able to open my ETSIM store, not only to seel knitted stuff, but shells? my paintings? my second-hand objects? designed clothes? my pottery? my sculptures? everything I could craft?

Q8: Maybe it could be a trait like the fruitcake one. Some sims find crafted objects awful and itchy, and others love the DIYed things. Maybe it could even be the "Can't Stand Art".

Q9: Its my kn-ee-t to be the best at knitting. LOL

Q10: I don't want my sim reaching level 10 just talking to their parents. Like, its ok if there's a limit like 3 levels or something, or if I'm the one controlling the sim thats teaching the skill, you know?! Maybe knitter sims could have interactions like "suggest to do knitting to calm down", "offer to knit something for the upcoming winter", "preach about DIYing"... etc... And the outcome could be positive if the don't have the Can't Stand Art trait, or negative. And those interactions could be autonomous like the caracter building chance cards. Like your playing with Dustin Dreamer and his grandmother Betty Newbie offers you to knit gloves for the winter, and you either refuse (negative relationship points) or accept (knitted gifts for the christmas)... Or whatever haha
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    First of all, thank you for taking the time to ask these questions, it is appreciated.

Q1:I think of knitting an everyday normal person activity like reading or watching TV, so I don't think fame makes sense here. It's more of a nesting type of activity? Make your house your own... but fame, not so much. People who knit have long been known for making things for EVERYBODY they know, so I think it would make sense for them to be able to make university-themed and club-themed items for University and Get Together. And definitely yarn for cats, my cat would steal a skein and drag it all over the house for me to find abandoned in random places. That would probably get too annoying in game form, so just a Play interaction would be nice.

Q2: I would be fine with crocheting too, I would actually love it. Creativity often leads you to more creativity, and then can sometimes lead you completely astray, so actually it would fit. Learning one thing often inspires you to leap down other rabbit holes, so if it were to unlock later on (say at level 6), that would actually be really realistic. Variety is the spice of life, or creativity at least. Would love to see some crocheted items in addition to knitting.

Q3: I would imagine the desk could be useful for adding finishing touches like attaching other decorative pieces or ribbons or little plastic eyes or whatever. My understanding it that finished knitted items are supposed to be washed and laid flat to dry, and while you couldn't reasonably do the hand washing interaction, maybe it could be left laid flat there as sort of an implied drying table when it was complete, as a nice little touch.

Q4: Anything more than a full sims week for the largest item would probably feel like too long. So I would say a week for an afghan or rug, then half that for sweater type things, and half again for the next size down, and so on.

Q5: If the alternative is not being able to knit at all rather than sitting, then yes, whatever keeps them knitting. I don't want any impediments or inconveniences when I'm trying to get something done. But please don't jog halfway down the block to find a park bench if there's not chair within a certain radius, just stand until directed to do otherwise.

Q6: In the Sims 3 when you use the Tutor animation, you can see the teacher Sim explaining, and then the learner Sim going... yes, uh huh, ok.... oh now I get it! Like this, right? I'd like to be able to see it like that.

Q7: Honestly, I have no experience with Etsy. But maybe sell through he mailbox like we do with writing and music? It would actually fit for this. Or we could click an option that says "Donate to homeless" and you could see a homeless Sim sleeping on a bench somewhere that when you hover over their sweater, it says it was made by you. You could clothe the world! Maybe apply that to other sorts of things too? Potholders for everyone! (Not actually potholder, but you know what I mean). And if you wanted to make a save where eventually all of the townies ended up wearing irritating sweaters and marching around doing the swangry stomp ...... you could do that >:)

Q8: Please make there be options to avoid negative effects for those of us who just want to enjoy wearing the sweaters without having to worry about it. Being able to wear and enjoy them is the whole point here, after all, isn't it? For some people, anyway. But if I wanted to torture a Sim with a bad sweater, I would like to see a hotheaded Sim eventually really lose it if the sweater didn't go away.

I got no funny, sorry. Stop needling me!

Q10: Talk about knitting autonomously, yes, but just like in real life don't force it on others who may not want it to happen. A person who knows a fanatical knitter and hears about it enough might get a little jump on learning if/when they choose to start, because they've already heard so much about it. But that would be about as far as I would take it. This should be absolutely player choice and player directed ONLY. Player choice should always be absolutely sacred in things like this in my opinion.
  • plumbobbityplumbobbity Posts: 1 New Member
    fame doesnt seem right for knitting. when teaching knitting it would be very cute for them to either sit at a table together or like when reading a child a book the child sitting on the floor while adult/elder sits in the chair and shows and instructs them. i feel some kids and teens should be bored and annoyed with their carers insistence on teaching them knit but others would be happy with the family quality time and crafting. the etsy shop is the best idea ever btw. taking pictures of their crafts and posting it to simstagram would be cool too. standing knitting doesnt seem realistic. id like them to knit in a chair or at a desk/table. knitting competition could be a good idea. (the great british knit off) xD scrapbooking??? yard sales.
  • CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    Q1: I love the retail and flea market idea. Would be nice to make knitting an elective as well. For fame I think if someone wears your sweater or uses w.e you make you should gain fame from it. For retail the higher amount you can see it for the better the fame and if your sim is famous it can sell for a higher amount. I also hope that anything you can make we can name. Also the island jobs?/request? if you can add some knitting things to that too.

Q2: Id love if some more items became craft-able but also if there maybe a better quality you can get from them or maybe add smells to them or how would you tell the difference from the ones you craft from the ones in CAS.

Q3: The more space you have the better maybe if your at the desk you have more space so the items come out better and less chance to fail or have problems

Q4: For this I think there should like the projects from parenting. Where you can rush it or take your time. But it should take a while especially with low skill.

Q5: Standing.... I don't see how that would work maybe if you "practice knitting" otherwise it would be weird.

Q6: Not sure about this one.

Q7: I think donations would be great. Would be nice if the sims could have a few request in the game. Example a school ask to knit 5 winter hats and gives you a small amount of $. You might get low cash flow but a better reputation.

Q8: If a sim was gifted a sweater and its itchy maybe if its their lover that gifted it "Things we do for love" (they'd wear it and scratch but forgive them) If its just a friend or family member maybe they'd get mad or uncomfortable because they wouldn't know if it was a prank or just an honest mistake. If there mad maybe they'd refuse to wear it and if there uncomfortable they'd wear it "It's that thought that count's right?" they'd itch a lot but still wear it.

Q9:
    Your Love for knitting.
    Finding the 1: You're needle in the haystack
    Learning the in and outs: Knitting to know you!
    The long search for supplies : Itching to see you!
    Tieing the knot: Rocking Chairs can rock your world!

Q10: I think it should work like how the gym trainer at the gym works. If your sim is knitting then maybe grandma or grandpa can come over and say hey lets see what your doing and teach them the ways. But they shouldn't do this with out the sim showing interest in this skill first.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    You asked for puns and you're getting yarn-bombed. I'm not surprised, the Forum is full of knitwits. But we sure can spin a merry yarn!
    #Team Occult
  • bcd87bcd87 Posts: 8 New Member
    Q1: Yes! Though I don't particularly care about fame. Maybe some parenthood crossover? Like kids knitting helps with emotional control or empathy?

Q2: Very happy

Q3: I like the desks aesthetically but I think sims should be able to knit anywhere, especially sitting on the couch or those new rocking chairs!

Q4: I feel like it should be somewhere between painting and wordworking.

Q5: Sure

Q6: I feel like it should be sitting on the floor. Definitekly have a relationship bost. Maybe a positive moodlet

Q7: I dunno about this one.

Q8: They act uncomfortable, people around them think it's funny, and whoever made it is very happy.

Q9: I'm not punny

Q10: Personally I'd love more autonomous actions, but I could see this being a little weird if every sim loved knitting. Maybe it could be tied to a trait?
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    Q1: Crosspack! I’m planning on making Knitting compatible with things like Get to Work Retail Lots (including Mannequins!), Get Together’s Club Rules, and City Living’s Yard Sale Table. What else would provide fun crosspack functionality? For example, should knitting provide Fame in some way?

Cats and Dogs - Cats should be able to play with yarn
    Base game- knitting should reduce tension
    City Living - knit items for charity (volunteering)

Got for it. The more craftable items, the better.

• static cling
    • shocked by doors or other metal objects
    • embarrassed moodlet
  • KoteykaKoteyka Posts: 537 Member
    edited March 2020
    Q1: Crosspack! I’m planning on making Knitting compatible with things like Get to Work Retail Lots (including Mannequins!), Get Together’s Club Rules, and City LIving’s Yard Sale Table. What else would provide fun crosspack functionality? For example, should knitting provide Fame in some way?
    Cats playing with yarn. And kittens. And doggies and puppies too maybe :smiley:
    Honestly? I would be the happiest little thing.
    Liked the desk, but never saw people knitting at a desk and my sims probably won't either. My mom knits at the dining table... sometimes while everyone's eating :anguished:
    Months :sweat_smile: But I don't knit too often. It takes about 5-10 hours for my mom to knit a toy though.
    *Shrugs* As long as they can knit while sitting too.
    YES YES YES! PLEASE YES! Make it cute and wholesome! Make them talk during the process! Little cuddles afterwards! As for animation, I would love if the adults arm was wrapped around the child's, like on the photos I left under the spoiler tag:
    nice-elderly-woman-teaching-her-granddaughter-to-knit-picture-id936988238
    b6f42f057e9d41acb37c875f4f7dcfde.jpg
    Maybe teach toddlers too? :sweat_smile: They could make cute fingerknitting bracelets or just... you know... mess up Mom's sweater project.
    Customers that ask for a lower price or purchase your craft but don't pay for it/ask for their money back while coming up with excuses like "my kid ordered it" or "there was nothing in the box"? Just don't make them too often, maybe a 20% chance which reduces as your shop gains more customers and a good reputation.
    An uncomfortable/embarrassed moodlet (happy moodlet for sims with the good trait because they're supporting their friends hobby) and a lot of scratching?
    I have none :hushed:
    Q10: This is my biggest question, so I saved it for last. Should the “Teach to Knit” interaction mentioned above be autonomous? While this might sound trivial, I feel this is very important for gameplay. I’m interested how people would feel about their level 10 knitter trying to spread their knitting knowledge on others. Let's say you have someone in your family who is a level 10 knitter, if this interaction is autonomous the entire house is going to get a real deep dive into knitting, perhaps constantly. What are your thoughts on potentially “story intrusive” interactions like this, would you be okay to find your family one day all high-level knitters through natural autonomy? Or should this only be user-directed, meaning on you have the ability to choose who gets schooled on knitting. I’d love to hear your thoughts about these sorts of things.
    Meh... I wouldn't be up for that. But gladly, I'm playing with autonomous OFF so it won't bother me :D
  • seabenseaben Posts: 631 Member
    A1:I like the idea of crosspack function but I don't think knitting should provide Fame
    A2:I do want to have things that look crocheted even if it's through knitting
    A3:I think the desk should be a place to store yern the knitting basket should also be able to store yern
    A4:in the Sims I think knitting should take 2-15hr to complete depending on what your sim is making like if your sim is making a small items it should take less time and a larger items take more time to make
    A5:standing and knitting is ok by me
    A6:the mentor interaction should be the Sims talking and then they sit down and start knitting together and the new Knitter should make mistakes well trying to knitt for the first time
    A7:there should be a anamtion of the sim mailing the item that they are selling through there online website
    A8:the sim should get a uncomfortable moodlet and start itching
    A9:I don't have any ideas for knitting pun's at the moment
    A10: The teach to knit interaction should not be autonomous
    a couple more things I want to say there should be a ask how to knit interaction that has the same function so if say grandma lives some were else your sim is able to ask her how to knit and also I think there should be a system were knitting projects takes yarn to make and the yern should be some thing you have to buy
    my sims 3 shell challenges https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/974534/the-sims-3-shell-challenge-corner-challenge-4-due-july-31th/p1 or check out my sims blog https://seabensims.wordpress.com/ my Wishlist is seaben06 on the sims 3 store and my oid is also seaben06
  • ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member

A1: crosspack compatability is always wonderful. If there is an Etsy type store that is put in, or an ability to stream the knitting then I can see Fame being a potential. I see a potential for quilting shows to be a thing.

A2:I have no idea how to knit, but crochet is something I do often. I love making plushies and blankets so I would be quite happy. Far happier than I am with knitting xD nothing against the win of course, knitting just goes over my head but crochet is calming. And a blast to do while watching TV.

A3:
    Asking around the office, nobody knits at a desk, but I’m curious if anyone would find value if the new crafting desk tied in with knitting somehow.
    If it was a way to measure cloth material and there was a sewing feature I would see this as more likely. I suppose knitting big blankets? I don't knit. But I do sew and crochet. Sewing at a table with space. Crocheting while watching a movie

A4:
    No ideas about knitting. At all. Crochet can take me a few minutes, several hours, or several days. All depends on the size of the project

Q5:
    Only of they're making something small I suppose.

Q6:
    When my mom taught me sewing she was sitting in a chair by a floor lamp and I was sitting on the floor looking through her sewing box fascinated by the fold out box and the threads and the pincushion. Then we were in almost the same location and position when she taught me crochet a couple years later. And needlepoint. And beadwork. We're often on the floor working because of the space. Sitting cross legged or laying on our stomachs.

No real feedback from me here. Because again like most of this pack I have no real life experience to provide feedback from :( I've bought one thing on Etsy though. Talk to creator. Determine what is wanted. They fill order. Post it for you to buy. It's shipped and delivered.

Happy relationship buffs with the Sims in question.

Q9: I need your best Knitting puns. Feed them to me. I don't know knitting so I've got nothing. :(

I love if there were MORE autonomous actions for lots of things, even in older packs I like the Sims showing personality. I don't think it should be a crazy high thing. They shouldn't force it on others. But perhaps they're having a conversation while knitting, and the sim gets curious and so mentoring happens. Yeah cool!

• deagh93deagh93 Posts: 6 New Member
    Q1: No fame. No one ever got famous knitting. (Ok, I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find someone, but srsly, no.) Seasons is an obvious one. If someone is knitting a rug or afghan and it's summer, they should get an overheated moodlet. Good moodlets for winter, both when wearing knitted things and when making them. Could maybe have an "ugly sweater party" as a social event or "wear ugly sweater" as a holiday event, like for Winterfest. Cats and Dogs: Cat in the knitting basket! Cat steals yarn. Cat being cat. You get the idea.
    Being able to make toys for both cats and dogs. University skill class! Don't know if making it an elective is a good idea, but something to consider.

Q2: I can both knit and crochet and I don't care if they share an animation. I mean, sure it would be nice if they each had their own, but eh, that's not a hill I care to die on.

Q3: I have never in my life knitted at a desk. On the sofa, in bed, on the bus, but not at a desk. However, I could see value in sitting at the knitting desk to plan out projects and sort through yarn.

Q4: I am very rusty, but back when I was knitting a lot more than I do now, I could crank out a scarf in a few hours. Sweaters took me weeks, but that was fitting it in around school and work. Afghans...I did a king sized one once and it took me six months. So, yes, longer than painting. Should be something one can multitask doing, though, like knitting in front of the TV.

Q5: Standing knitting is absolutely a thing. No problemo. Bag over arm, yarn coming out of bag.

Q6: I taught myself to knit, as all four of my grandparents died before I was born and my mom didn't knit. I looked up knitting in the encyclopedia (this was the early 80s, Youtube wasn't a thing) and sat there with the needles, a ball of yarn, and the encyclopedia. I would be THRILLED if sims could sit with a skill book and fumble knitting, or sit in front of the computer with a SimTube video and fumble knitting. I would also be good with Mom or Dad or Grandma or Grandpa teaching a child/teen/adult to knit, but given how I learned, I would love it if there were animations other than just reading the skill book.

Q7: I have only gifted my projects to family and friends or done it for myself, so I don't have a lot to contribute here.

Q8: Well, itching, for one (borrow the Get to Work itching animation!) and the uncomfortable moodlet that goes with it. Embarrassed moodlet with a blurb like "I know a lot of work went into this sweater, but OMG it is so ugly! When can I take this thing off?" Also there should be both a friendly and a mean interaction to tease the sim wearing the ugly sweater. Self-assured sims could maybe be immune to being embarrassed by the sweater? Maybe a confident moodlet saying something like "(Sim) is proud to wear the sweater that some sim lovingly made for them. So what if other sims are laughing? They're just jealous!"

Q9: I am not good with the wordplay. All I've got is using "Wooled" for "would" and "ewe" for "you" (since wool comes from sheep). Although in Sims world I would guess that it might be the llamas that provide the wool?

Q10: While spreading the knitting would be in character for a level 10 skill knitter, I would prefer it to only be a directed action. When that type of action is autonomous it goes viral, and next thing you know everyone you see on every community lot everywhere will be knitting, and that has potential to be game-breaking.

Thank you for giving us this opportunity to provide input!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top