Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Knitting Gameplay Questions for the Community!

Comments

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Welcome to forums and I love Wallace and Gromit.

A1: I would like knitting to impact the motor skill for children. I would like it to increase emotional control in teens from Parenthood. I would like it to increase fun in Sims. I would like it to be apart of Laundry Day pack too as seen below with A8. If werewolves do make a return, would be cute if they could chase the yarn balls like cats and dogs and toddlers could. Having a knitting elective class in university would be nice too. I would like it to cross platform Island Living too with being able to craft swimwear and hanging glass balls and fishing nets.

A2: I would love if crochet-like objects became craftable through knitting. I knit and crochet. I really like making hats and gloves with crochet.

A3: I knit everywhere. I don't think I want it tied to the desk, but be apart of a sitting interaction instead. That way kids-elders can knit together whether one is on a desk, a couch, a chair, a lounge chair, sitting on swings, or sitting on a bed.

A4: Some of my knitting projects have taken months to do. Basically the larger the needle the faster it goes. I hope the time it takes to craft an object decreases as the skill progresses because that is how it works in real life. Crocheting hats usually takes a week, so depends on how large the project is too. Like a blanket will take longer to make than gloves or a scarf. Ponchos take some time too. I think when it comes to the Sims anything that takes longer than 3 Sims days comes off as too grindy even if it killing them.

A5: I would be ok with them standing and knitting. I mean if you have a bag to hold the yarn, I've done it before while waiting in line. I wouldn't mind kinds kneeling and knitting too. Traveling while standing and knitting could be possible too with transportation with like buses and subways and trains.

A6: My grandmothers died when I was young, but I learned how to knit and crochet from my mom who learned how to knit, sew, and crochet from her mom.

As far as what it looks like here are some pictures:
    mother-and-child-knitting-mom-teaching-little-girl-to-knit-crafts-KDH410.jpg
    lark-0016.jpg

A7: My local hospital has a group of knitters and crocheters for cancer patients. I used to sell some crafted things with a virtual enterprise class I took in high school at trade fairs. My mom has done a knitting party before and that was fun to do with friends and my aunt.

A8: There is some Alpaca knitting wear that can shed so that is interesting. Usually with wool yarn it softens as you wash it, so it would be neat to have cross play with laundry day washing them to make it soft and in bad cases shrink the sweaters. Undershirts usually help. I get skin rashes from wearing lace, so it would be fun to see Sims break out in a rash from it.

A9: Here is a few:
    "I’m working on my Ph.D (Projects Half Done) in Knitting"
    "I'm having a lot of difficulty with knitting
    Oops, wrong thread."
    "I missed my last two knitting club meetings...
    I hope when I return I'm not out of the loop."

A10: I think it should. Like I would love a trait that would make Sims want to knit more autonomously and be able to knit easier whether it is a Sim trait or lot trait.

I would be ok with either. Honestly it is the troll the forums and push ups autonomously that every Sim does that annoys me more. Then again some might not want it forced because it would take away the god control from Simmers, so having tied to a trait might help.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • LariLari Posts: 3 New Member
    For cross packs, cats playing with yarn is an absolute must. And it would be great if along with that the sim could get like an uncomfortable moodlet for like ‘ew! soggy yarn’. Sometimes I don’t even notice my cat chewing my yarn until I come across some wet yarn and it’s gross. Also if with seasons wearing something knitted during winter could give buffs for being cozy and warm? Is love for spellcaster a to be able to enchant their needles to knit themselves but I know that’s something that would be really difficult so no expectations there. Oh and with parenthood if knitting could increase a child/teens emotional control that would be good because knitting is something I got into to deal with stress and mental health as a teen
  • caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    edited March 2020
    Hey Conor! Welcome! hehe

Here goes my answers:

Q1: I'd love some crosspack functionality with Cats & Dogs. Specially cats playing with the wool :smiley:

Q2: I wouldn't mind but I don't knit in real life so I wouldn't know how to feel about that.

Q5: Yeah, as long it is like eating, where we can direct them to a chair

Q8: At least a moodlet for the sim wearing it (uncomfortable, maybe?) and for the sim who gifted it (happy?). Oh and I'd like to see a small animation of the sims scratching themselves. That could be funny to watch :P

Q10: I don't know tbh. I don't want it to be really intrusive but some stuff happening without my input is great. Maybe a really small chance? I'd love to see some NPCs knitting on parks tho. :smile:
    Post edited by caliposs on
    he/him
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    Q5: I've always got some good laughs alonside my granny when we got her performing knitting almost as an idle animation around the house.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    edited March 2020
    Q1: Not fond of the idea of fame, unless a sim became notorious for yarn bombing or something. Or for writing knitting pattern books. We definitely need knitting clubs though! And the ability to sell crafted items. It's a shame we are not getting mittens to knit for seasons, but hopefully you will include the ability to gift crafted items for birthdays and snowflake day.

Will we be getting a new trait, such as knitting enthusiast?

I think you should also include some trait functionality for existing ones - such as clumsy sims keep dropping stitches and therefore takes them longer to finish their project. Evil sims could knit a sweater with no head hole lol. Childish sims could have a preference to autonomously knit toys.

Q2: I am perfectly happy for crochet to be included, I am mostly a knitter but i also crochet. BUT only if there was a crochet animation, otherwise it would be lame. Unless you mean they would knit the items and they turn out looking crocheted? That would be ok.

Q3: It would be uncomfortable to knit at a desk. It could be used I guess for designing your own knitting patterns, blocking, or cutting fabric on if there was also sewing. Or just as a standard desk.

Q4: My knitting projects generally take a few weeks for a pair of socks or a toy, more like a few months for a complex sweater. This is just doing an hour or two a day. There is no way I would want sims to take forever with their projects but larger projects should take them more time than smaller ones.

Q5: No I would not be happy for sims to stand and knit. If they had no seat it would make more sense to sit on the ground cross legged. I often knit cross legged, even in an armchair, elbows resting on knees. It is nice and comfy.

Q6: This would be fantastic! I would like to see the mentor sat next to the child, teen or other adult they are teaching and have them both holding their pins and the learner trying to copy the actions. Also, maybe, at a zero or level 1 skill the learner could have 'try and knit'', 'undo knitting and start over' and 'get help to fix ' options. I was always taking my knitting back to my mum for her to fix my mistakes haha.

Q7: No idea

Q8: Although I am an avid knitter I cannot wear wool (except socks lol) without itching like mad. I have to wear a base layer under woolly sweaters and even then sometimes still catch it around the neck. I am constantly scratching, pulling the neck of the sweater away from my skin and has been known to cause flare ups of eczema.

Maybe cured by annoyingly chucking the sweater in the wash/floor and putting some soothing cream on the itchy skin :)

Q9: lol I have none

Q10: Spreading knitting knowledge should be player directed only. I am happy for sims to come autonomously to ask my master knitter to share their knowledge, but I could then choose as a player to say yay or nay.

Question for you! For the knitting baskets on page 2 of the vote, will we be able to place these down and have the option to click on them to select 'knit...' or 'continue knitting...'?
    Post edited by elanorbreton on
  • geminiagregeminiagre Posts: 6,918 Member
    Haven't read the other replies yet so i might say something that has been said before

A1:
    - Cats and Dogs. Sims should be able to knit outfits for their 4 legged friends (of course the way the CAS vote went will be pulled out of the already there outfits)
    - Island living: Odd Jobs. Sims should get odd jobs to knit stuff for clients
    - GF: Sims can upload "knitting" videos , have a "simtube channel" with tutorials etch , and yes they should be able to get fame for that
    - RoM: Magical sims can put a spell on the needles to knit on their own . Kneedles will magically knit on a chair, sofa etch occupiying that seat slot until the item is done (same animation of the objects minus the sim holding them). The result depends on the magical sims knitting skill. Needles magically knitting on their own should NOT increase magical sim's knitting skill. the skill should be gained via potion, or actual knitting themselfs

A2: As a builder i don't like to be limited in what i can use while decorating , so i wouldn't be happy if those things get "locked" (i know i could cheat unlock them) So the best thing imo would be if they where added to the "craftable/knittable" pool but still remained unlocked in bb mode

A3: I'd find actual knitting on a desk very weird. However there are a few things i saw in the object vote that could be "crafted" using yarn , without actuall knitting needed. So maybe a "craft" option for these objects similar to the kids crafting table animations?

A4: That's def not a question for me.. I'm too impatient. I usually ff when my sims paint and if i get them into a painting spree i cheat their needs and play ff for a while. I've never knitted anything so can't really help with that. I'd be ok if it was I don't think it should take a lot longer than painting. Plus i don't want my sim to have only knitted three pieces when they max their skill. And if it takes them too long , it will feel weird especially in the lower skills if lets say their first creation is a scarf and they immidiately start knitting a complex sweater cause they reached lvl 6 by the time they finished their scarf.

A5:I'd prefer if they sit on the ground rather than standing... Tbh other than our beloved Mrs Crumblebottom i've never seen anyone else knitting while standing

A6:As i said above i've never knitted in my life, but i do remember when i was a child , our neighbor, and old lady taught me how to sew with a needle and thread, i felt so proud of my self and so accomplished , and there was some extra bonding too. We sat next to eachother , and she talked me through passing the thread threw the needle head, then showed me how while we both held something to sew .

A7: No idea... I suppose you upload an image and add a price tag?

A8: ooo I like that question!! I want them to randomly drop what they're doing and start scratching maniacly. Other sims should find this extremely funny. If the sweater is just ugly (those would be lower skill ones i suppose or fails?) sim should get an embarassed moodlet.

A9:puns... I'll knit to thing of something to add to this thread later

A10: Sounds a bit intrucive/ivasive (no idea which is the correct word). I'd prefer if the mentor was autonomous, meaning if they see someone knitting they can autonomously go over them and mentor Instead of following randomply anyone around to teach them how to knit. Of course other sims can ask to be taught and player should still have the option to offer to teach right?
  • TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member

Q1: Crosspack! I’m planning on making Knitting compatible with things like Get to Work Retail Lots (including Mannequins!), Get Together’s Club Rules, and City LIving’s Yard Sale Table. What else would provide fun crosspack functionality? For example, should knitting provide Fame in some way?

A1: Related to question 7, but if a child or teen donates something knitted, then they should gain Empathy from Parenthood and it should count towards Scout badges.
    Q3: There’s a cool crafty desk floating around in concept art that you guys may have seen (49 - 52 in the object vote). What would knitting at one of these desks mean to you, if anything? Asking around the office, nobody knits at a desk, but I’m curious if anyone would find value if the new crafting desk tied in with knitting somehow.

I don't knit, but I think it would be awesome if they could knit at the desk AND away from the desk. This desk should have different functionality than other desks because it pretty much looks like a knitter's desk - no point in having it in the game with all the crafty stuff in it, if it's just going to be used with a computer like any other desk. Just my 0.02 cents.

Q8: Lets say a Sim is wearing an awful, itchy sweater that they’re wearing only because somebody gifted it for them. What kind of things would you like to see happen to them?

I'd like them to get highly Tense, Uncomfortable, and/or Embarrassed. Mortified, with a chance of death lol! And their ghost could constantly be itching, still in that same sweater. >:)
    Q9: I need your best Knitting puns. Feed them to me.

Knit it or Knot? To Knit or Knot to Knit? LOL Not sure if that counts...
    Q10: This is my biggest question, so I saved it for last. Should the “Teach to Knit” interaction mentioned above be autonomous? While this might sound trivial, I feel this is very important for gameplay. I’m interested how people would feel about their level 10 knitter trying to spread their knitting knowledge on others. Let's say you have someone in your family who is a level 10 knitter, if this interaction is autonomous the entire house is going to get a real deep dive into knitting, perhaps constantly.

What are your thoughts on potentially “story intrusive” interactions like this, would you be okay to find your family one day all high-level knitters through natural autonomy? Or should this only be user-directed, meaning on you have the ability to choose who gets schooled on knitting. I’d love to hear your thoughts about these sorts of things.

I am really, really into Sims 4 because I get to micromanage everything in my sims' lives - yes, there are some things that I wish would be a little more random, but 9 times out of 10, I'm going to err on the side of user-direction. So no "story intrusivity" for me lol. I'll decide who gets granny's knowledge.

Thank you for doing this!

• KazynKazyn Posts: 16 Member

Q1: Crosspack! I’m planning on making Knitting compatible with things like Get to Work Retail Lots (including Mannequins!), Get Together’s Club Rules, and City Living’s Yard Sale Table. What else would provide fun crosspack functionality? For example, should knitting provide Fame in some way?

I definitely think that Get to Work should be utilised to enable items to be sold, perhaps in a craft store or online. A knitwear store would be fun. I don't really like the idea of fame, I don't think that it would add anything to it. I do however like the idea that sims at university could make items, such as blankets for their room mates.

Q2: If some “Crochet-Like” objects became craftable through Knitting, how would you personally feel? Happy? Enraged? Strong sense of ennui? We can’t guarantee unique animations for crocheting, but I’d like to still potentially provide them as a craftable object for players.

I think crochet items would be great and that variety is important. It'll get boring really fast if the same things are made over and over again. I actually think that if crochet is a separate skill, that sims with a high knitting skill should learn it faster and visa versa.

Q3: There’s a cool crafty desk floating around in concept art that you guys may have seen (49 - 52 in the object vote). What would knitting at one of these desks mean to you, if anything? Asking around the office, nobody knits at a desk, but I’m curious if anyone would find value if the new crafting desk tied in with knitting somehow.

I think that the desk should be used for measuring fabric and paper crafts, rather than knitting. To me, knitting is something done in a comfy chair or in front of the tv.

Q4: I’d like Knitting to actually take some time to craft, something Sims can save for later and come back to. In your experience, how long have some of your knitting projects taken? I’ll try not to make it feel too grindy, but definitely longer than it takes to paint in our game.

For bigger or more complicated items, several hours, like maybe seven or eight, that can be spread over a few days. It'd be nice if whoever used the item could get a moodlet to say that the item was made with love or similar.

Q5: If your Sim wanted to knit something, but they couldn't find a place to sit, would you be okay with them standing up and knitting? Asking for a friend...

Could they sit on the floor? It'd be nice for them to be able to sit under a tree outside in nice weather and knit.

Q6: Along with the Mentor interaction, I’d like to include a proper “Teach to Knit” interaction. I’d love to have that moment where the Knitting Master granny teaches their grandchild how to knit. For those of you who experienced similar things, what was that experience like for you? I’m curious what people think this should look like - both animation and story wise.

I love this idea, it should massively boost their relationship. I think that the sim learning should be able to hand the item over to the sim teaching, to help them unpick pits that have gone wrong, then show them how to do it properly and at the very beginning for the teaching sim to knit hand over hand, holding the learning sim's hands as they move the needles.

Q7: I’d like to have some Etsy store-like gameplay, as well as donation gameplay with Knitting. For those of you who may have gone down those paths in real life, what were some interesting takeaways or stories you’d like to see represented?

Could elder sims knit blankets for pregnant sims? I think that for Etsy type stores, sims should be able to promote them on social media or stream themselves making the items, which would boost the performance of the store as well as the prices, so the more popular the videos/posts, the higher the prices in the store.

Q8: Lets say a Sim is wearing an awful, itchy sweater that they’re wearing only because somebody gifted it for them. What kind of things would you like to see happen to them?

I'd like to see them hide in the toilet to have a good scratch, then come out pretending they're fine. Maybe also getting caught either scratching or complaining to another sim about the itchiness. It'd also be fun if they could rip the jumper off as soon as the sim that made it left or they got home and get a relived moodlet.

Ok I've got one:

A policeman spots a woman knitting whilst driving. He shouts through the car window "Pull over". She shouts back, "No, a pair of socks!"

I'm here all night!

Q10: This is my biggest question, so I saved it for last. Should the “Teach to Knit” interaction mentioned above be autonomous? While this might sound trivial, I feel this is very important for gameplay. I’m interested how people would feel about their level 10 knitter trying to spread their knitting knowledge on others. Let's say you have someone in your family who is a level 10 knitter, if this interaction is autonomous the entire house is going to get a real deep dive into knitting, perhaps constantly.

It would be nice to have this option, but I think only if the beginner sims already had an interest or very low knitting skill level. I think it's become annoying if every knitter started autonomously spreading the knitting joy. I don't think it'd be good for story telling. I wouldn't, for example, want some of my sims to think about knitting at all, because it wouldn't fit their character or my plot.

It would however be nice for the level 10 sim to try to teach or talk about knitting and for uninterested sims to brush them off or get annoyed at the subject being talked about for the millionth time.

Thanks Conor, I'm getting excited about this pack!
    Find me on Twitch and Twitter
  • alina_fialhoalina_fialho Posts: 3 New Member
    Hello hello!

Q1: I'm in for it! I wouldn't care for fame connected to knitting that much (wouldn't hate it either), but adding knitting to clubs, as an eletive class at uni or even as an extra curricular class for kids could be nice. Also, there's a lot trait that is good for paiting, and handiness (not sure about the name in English, perhaps domestic studio?) it would be nice to add knitting there.

Q2: I'd like crochet like objects using knitting animation, it would give a broader amount of items to craft, so I think it's worth it. Personally, I don't think everything in TS HAS TO BE 100% connected to reality, so I'd be perfectly ok with it.

Q3: I knit. I hate knitting at desks: the needles keep on bumping at the desk, I find it awkward (still, I know a couple of people who prefer knitting at desks, mainly if they use circular/smaller needles). I'm not against it in game, but would prefer to see sims doing it on the couch.

Q4: Timing depends on complexity and size. At higher levels and with more complicated items I wouldn't like sims to finish items in one sitting, I'd rather it be like writing books or even longer (you can only finish in one sitting if you're really good at it and if all the starts are aligned).

Q5: I'd prefer if sims could sit on the floor - it would be nice especially with teens and kids. Still, I'd be ok with them standing, there's people who knit standing up with a purse/bag holding the yarn (I lack the skills haha)

Q6: I learned to knit by myself, it's cool but I wish I had someone to share this moment with, to teach me and help me. I find it rather wholesome, it's definitely a nice familiar thing to do. Perhaps adult sims could look/appreciate objects they knitted with their families and have a "warm heart" buff?

Q7: Etsy like things - no clue here :( As for donation, it could add to kids/teens traits the same way volunteering does, it would be cool if they could knit and donate the product.

Q8: They have to keep on scratching themselves, kind annoyed, irritaded and red. Perhaps an allergy like thing even after removing the sweater that lasts for a couple of hours (and soothes with a shower/bath?)

Q9: Knitting puns and jokes? Does not compute. Sorry :(

Q10: I wouldn't like it to be autonomous and have several sims knitting just because, I'd prefer to be the one to decide who learns it. I'd like to have a sim being able to ask the other to teach them, though (in case the other sim has a higher knitting level)
  • bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    Q1: I like the idea of being able to sell your knitted stuff, be it on a retail store, online or on a stall.

Q2: I would love that. It's not the same thing, but I think in this case people wouldn't mind too much if they are under the same... gameplay mechanic.

Q3: I'd prefer if sims can knit on any chair instead of on a desk exclusively. But if you can somehow make the desk a working place for knitting too, it would be a nice addition. But I'd say it shouldn't be a priority.

Q4: It depends on the piece they are making. If they are doing something small, it doesn't make much sense to take a looong time to finish.

Q5: Hmm, maybe. I just hope there won't be problems with sims having plenty of chairs around but still choose to knit while standing, or randomly standing up. We all know this game likes to complicate a lot (washing dishes on the upstairs bathroom sink??).

Q6: Great idea! I think there should be the occasional moment of frustration coming from the apprentice and reassurance coming from the mentor when things go wrong, as well as happiness/confidence when they eventually get it right.

Q8: Other than visibly scratching? Maybe get an uncomfortable moodlet. But I hope not all knitted sweaters will be itchy.

Q10: I don't think it should be autonomous, otherwise being a level 10 knitter wouldn't be that special. I think it should be something that the player must choose because it's a very specific skill that may not blend well with certain sims of certain traits. Not everyone has the patience to knit. Also, I like to be in control of my game and choose which skills my sims will master.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,872 Member
    edited March 2020
    Q1: Crosspack! I’m planning on making Knitting compatible with things like Get to Work Retail Lots (including Mannequins!), Get Together’s Club Rules, and City Living’s Yard Sale Table. What else would provide fun crosspack functionality? For example, should knitting provide Fame in some way?

Maybe sims could post online knitting tutorial videos with the Get famous “Youtuber desk”.

Q2: If some “Crochet-Like” objects became craftable through Knitting, how would you personally feel? Happy?

Yes.

Q3: There’s a cool crafty desk floating around in concept art that you guys may have seen (49 - 52 in the object vote). What would knitting at one of these desks mean to you, if anything? .

I’d use it to measure fabrics or draw a sketch of what i want to knit. Also could you maybe consider adding “non knitting decor” swatches for versatility ?

Q4: I’d like Knitting to actually take some time to craft, something Sims can save for later and come back to. In your experience, how long have some of your knitting projects taken? I’ll try not to make it feel too grindy, but definitely longer than it takes to paint in our game.

I like the idea of knitting little by little.

Q5: If your Sim wanted to knit something, but they couldn't find a place to sit, would you be okay with them standing up and knitting? Asking for a friend...

No. How about knitting in front of the tv or maybe sit on a bed to knit ?

Q6: Along with the Mentor interaction, I’d like to include a proper “Teach to Knit” interaction. I’d love to have that moment where the Knitting Master granny teaches their grandchild how to knit. For those of you who experienced similar things, what was that experience like for you?

I think the sims could watch and then try to do the same as the sim teaching.

Q7: I’d like to have some Etsy store-like gameplay, as well as donation gameplay with Knitting. For those of you who may have gone down those paths in real life, what were some interesting takeaways or stories you’d like to see represented?

Maybe sims could create their website and sell crafted items online ?

I could see them getting teased because of it. Or try to make sure nobody sees them.

Well I’m answering this for the second time because just as I was done the whole thing vanished, it drove me knits but I’m almost off the hook now. (Sorry I’m from France, no I’m not always good at puns in English).

No I’d rather have an “ask to teach knitting” available when talking to a sim with a high knitting skill.
  • bam6273bam6273 Posts: 4 New Member
    Q1- I like the idea of the mannequins with fame. Could maybe lead to a future fashion designer where you can make more clothes
    Q2- That would be ok 😀
    Q3- Not needed
    Q4- I don't knit
    Q5- It wouldn't be the first weird thing they do so its ok lol
    Q6- As far as animations it would be nice if they could physically help them know how to hold it. Like early in the skill learning they could look like they're having trouble and the grandma holds it up while doing it like she demonstrating it. Or even puts her hands on theirs to show the correct way to hold it. Then when the skill is higher, grandma can examine their work
    Q7- Only input I have for this is I really like this idea and wasn't expecting this. I approve 👍
    Q8- Scratch themselves of course but they can have a couple of different moodlets depending on the type of sim they are. If they're a moody sim they can have an uncomfortable or even angry moodlet but if they're nicer Sims, they can have moodlets for feeling good from making someone else happy
    Q9- What nickname was given to Tony Montana's grandmother? Scarf Ace
    Q10- I prefer to choose which skills are learned by my Sims. It would be strange if I have a goth moody teenager sitting around knitting lol
    The End
  • DissySIMSDissySIMS Posts: 1 New Member
    Q1: Love this idea, however I don’t think it should provide fame in anyway. Other than that cross over away.

Q2: I would be as ecstatic as a sim spotting a celebrity!!

Q3: perhaps yarn storage for the desk? Like the flower arranging station it could hold the yard and needles, row counters etc and keep our personal inventories clean.

Q4: the time depends on a project, a blanket can take anywhere from 3 months to a year. Depends on pattern and how long you sit for at a time. and how experienced you are. Less mistakes faster stitches. Something smaller like a dish cozy not even a day.

Q5: standing up no. Definitely in my experience need to be sitting.

Q6: granny definitely needs to watch, so sitting side by side is ideal so she can help and take hold of the work to inspect and point out mistakes or uneven stitches etc.

Q8: haha itchy neck arms and chest. Maybe pulling at the collar or sweater if that’s possible.

Q9: well since you asked for it. I know a lot of puns. And punny songs. “I practice stitch craft” “I’m at my knits end” “knitters gonna knit” “I tend to knit pick” “stitches be slippin” “Winter Is COMING, knit faster” -que music 🎶- “ ohhh the weather outside is frightful, but this yarn is so delightful, and since there’s no place to go, another row, another row, another row!!” 🎤 drop

Q10: I don’t think it should it be autonomous. I have 2 daughters. One enjoys it the other does not. If we want them to learn from granny we can ask them in the social menu.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Q1: I'd be happy with some hobby stuff that DIDN'T provide fame, really. Knitting for me is really a personal thing, that nobody else cares about, so fame woudn't really play any part whatsoever. But sure, make it a viable way for people to incorporate into their retail stores or whatever, they would maybe get some use out of it.

Q2: I would very much be interested in crochet, as that is what I do the most.

Q3: I never knit at an actual desk, I'd like to be comfortable and sit in my fav chair watching a movie or something. I always have a simple project in the works for when I want to relax.

Q4: All my projects take a long time, even if they are quite simple, and other people would spend little time doing them. About the time as painting does sounds good to me.

Q5: Standing up is fine, its how our mothers, their mothers, and their mothers again did things. But please let the priority be a comfortable seat. Please.

Q6: I'd very much like higher level sims to be able to teach knitting/other crafting. I never use "Mentor" as much as I should, but....I should.

Q7: I don't know anything about Etsy. Also never thought my crafting was worth selling, though. But, for my sims I'd like to have that option.

Q8: If the sweater is itchy and aweful, maybe it could be treated with something to make it less so....?

Q10: Autonomy is fine, but in TS4 it seems too exaggerated. So, lets say, a sim that aged up to young adult from a teenager, with the Responsible trait, will CONSTANTLY roll whims to Teach Responsibility. So I can imagine a level 10 knitter CONSTANTLY rolling whims to Teach Knitting to ANY sim nearby. Same as ANY sim getting the whim to buy a Bee Box no matter their traits, skills or if they even HAVE A GARDEN or even any plants planted whatsoever?

So yes, no autonomy, only user-directed interactions for me, please.

Don't worry, almost all of my sims get skilled in everything anyway. But I'd like to choose when and how, if you please.
  • MiniMajestyMiniMajesty Posts: 12 New Member
    A1: I think having knitting as an elective or a class in University would be nice, I also think it would be nice to have positive moodlets from nice handmade sweaters/hats/scarves/gloves in the winter or a knitted parasol in the summer.

A2: I would rather have some crochet things done with a knitting animation than none, if any gets done at all.

A3: I think knitting at a desk is good if you also knit while watching something on your computer, though I don't know anyone besides me who mainly uses their computer for television...

A4: I think it's reasonable, as long as the time scales with the project if that's possible. A pair of socks and a sweater shouldn't take the same time.

A5: Not at all! My grandmother used to knit standing, she was quite the busybody. Never liked sitting down for too long.

A6: Teach to knit sounds lovely, it would be nice if it helped the learner gain skill faster than if knitting alone.

A7: If there is an etsy store like situation I would love to have issues such as handling returns or replacements. Prices raising with skill level, as well.

A8: Lets say a Sim is wearing an awful, itchy sweater that they’re wearing only because somebody gifted it for them. What kind of things would you like to see happen to them?

A9: I like to think I have purls of wisdom...

A10: I would love this, personally. I think a nice middle ground, if it isn't just straight forward starting the teaching interaction, would be another sim autonomously asking if they can teach/if my sim wants to learn. That way it gives a little more control and is less annoying than canceling an action repeatedly.
  • QuaayQuaay Posts: 556 Member
    As for cross-functionality maybe if they use the bubble blower too much their knitting comes out wonky and needs to be redone?
  • ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    Hi, Conor! Welcome, and thanks for asking for our input!

1. Sounds like fun! For Seasons, maybe a positive moodlet wearing knitted stuff in freezing weather? 'Kept warm with love!' or something? For Discover University, there's gotta be some kind of interaction with yarn-bombing the statues. Maybe, despite university affiliation, an option to 'study yarn bombing for technique'?

@sagela agreed, the idea of a freelance crafter path could be really fun!

@ChuChuExpress ooh, it could be a fame option! If you're already famous and have, say, level 5 knitting skills, you could get an opportunity to participate in a charity knit for fame points, maybe?

@Simmerville ooh, I love the cat playing with yarn and salvaged yarn-bomb yarn ideas!

2. I am 100% okay with crochet.

3. Works for me!

5. I'd prefer sitting on the floor.

7. I haven't done this IRL, but for the donation bit, that could tie in well with Cats & Dogs - knitting stuff for animals! 'Donate to animal shelter' or something. Or heck, even donating to human shelters, if that's allowed to be implied.

8. Ooh, does that imply different qualities? Low-quality could give a 2+ Uncomfortable moodlet, like, "It itches!!" If the person that gifted it to them is present, it could drop to a 1+ Uncomfortable one, like "Grinning and bearing it"? Embarrassed moodlets for kids and teens if their friends spot them?

Side note, would you consider random Sims having a wool/lanolin allergy? Basically a Sim who'd be more suceptable to itchiness. Because I have one IRL and frankly anything knitted will cause me pain unless it's acrylic.

9. The mentoring interaction should be called 'teach purls of wisdom'. Do it.

I also second all of the puns already mentioned in earlier replies. Look just give us all the puns.

10. Hmm. Preferably user-selected, but if autonomous, very low-priority? Like if the Sim needs to eat or sleep or go to the bathroom, they will stop the interaction so they can actually take care of needs. Maybe putting it at a lower priority than work or homework tasks, too. Basically if they're completely idle, then sure, go for it.

JennileeRose, could tie in with the Creative trait, maybe? Like, Creative Sims get a boost to their desire and ability to knit.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Hello Sims forums! I’m a gameplay designer on SP17 and I have some insight and questions for the community!

Also if you haven't already, please take the object vote! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JZBMHNF

giphy.gif

Q1: Crosspack! I’m planning on making Knitting compatible with things like Get to Work Retail Lots (including Mannequins!), Get Together’s Club Rules, and City LIving’s Yard Sale Table. What else would provide fun crosspack functionality? For example, should knitting provide Fame in some way?

Q2: If some “Crochet-Like” objects became craftable through Knitting, how would you personally feel? Happy? Enraged? Strong sense of ennui? We can’t guarantee unique animations for crocheting, but I’d like to still potentially provide them as a craftable object for players.

Q6: Along with the Mentor interaction, I’d like to include a proper “Teach to Knit” interaction. I’d love to have that moment where the Knitting Master granny teaches their grandchild how to knit. For those of you who experienced similar things, what was that experience like for you? I’m curious what people think this should look like - both animation and story wise.

Q10: This is my biggest question, so I saved it for last. Should the “Teach to Knit” interaction mentioned above be autonomous? While this might sound trivial, I feel this is very imeverportant for gameplay. I’m interested how people would feel about their level 10 knitter trying to spread their knitting knowledge on others. Let's say you have someone in your family who is a level 10 knitter, if this interaction is autonomous the entire house is going to get a real deep dive into knitting, perhaps constantly.

What are your thoughts on potentially “story intrusive” interactions like this, would you be okay to find your family one day all high-level knitters through natural autonomy? Or should this only be user-directed, meaning on you have the ability to choose who gets schooled on knitting. I’d love to hear your thoughts about these sorts of things.

____________________________________________________________________________

The early design process is a very fun time for me, and I hope I painted a picture of the sort of questions that get brought up during this development stage. Lemme know what you guys think!

q1 I want sims to be able to rock there toddlers
    q2 happy
    q3 I wouldn't like that
    q4 it should take awhile
    q 5 I wouldn't like it
    q 6 I was never taught to knit but I would really like this in game
    q 7 I've never done this
    q 8 reaction to being given sweater thanks it looks um like you worked very hard on it
    sim puts it on gets uncomfortable moodlet and starts scratching
    q9 yarns you glad to see me
    q 10 yes please
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    edited March 2020

I think knitting should provide fame especially if the player has the sim do videos of their sim kitting, as that is a thing some crocheters/knitters do. They'll make tutorial videos of their own patterns that they may sell on Etsy or share on other sites so I think they should get some fame when they do that. I also think with with Get Famous' video editing station there should be an option to make knitting tutorial video or just knitting skill video. I also think if the sim is a spellcastor they could magical knit while multi-tasking in the room, if they leave the room or get so far away it could end the spell.

As a crocheter I think it be cool to see some crochet-like objects and I don't mind that they be craftable through knitting cause it will be more for my sim to craft.

I think it be cool to knit at a desk, personally speaking, I crochet at my desk all the time because i'm usually multi-tasking while on my computer. Also going back to making knitting videos, I believe alot of people who make video tutorials crochet/knit at a desk or at least a table during filming to give them the most room to show what they are doing.

This depends on the project, if it's something small doesn't take too long something like a hat takes me maybe 2 or 3 hours depending on the difficulty. A stuffed animal can take 2-3 days, and a sweater could take a week or two. The bigger the project sometimes the more parts you need to create to put it together. A stuffed animals for example has only a few pieces head/body and this depends on the pattern as sometimes there one piece and sometimes there separate. Depending, on the animal you might need a muzzle, the arms and legs. A sweater you need to make a front piece, a back piece, arms, and sometimes depending on the type of sweater like a cardigan you need a front right and a front left instead of one front piece.

I don't think standing while knitting is a good idea, I say if it does get implemented than maybe they can get an uncomfortable moodlet after awhile. Though, if they can't find a seat maybe they could just sit on the floor.

For me, my mom, grandmother, and great-grandmother all crocheted so I grew up seeing them doing it and while i really didn't know what they were doing I observed at a young age until I was old enough to understand. When I was about 8 I tried it for the first time and from watching I had a general idea of the motions. My mom would sit with me on the sofa, or the floor, and she would crochet along with me as she told me the steps so I could see and hear what she was doing. If I messed up she would take a look show me where I went wrong and we take it back a row or some stitches to fix it.

So maybe toddlers could watch the knitting sim and gain thinking or imagination and when they age up they could have some knitting skill?

I haven't gone down this path myself but I have looked into it. Perhaps there's an option on the computer to open an online shop and sims could be charged a weekly fee for running the shop. Also, maybe we can get a pop-up with an order request and when it's done we can have an option for the sim to package it up and we can put it in the mailbox for delivery. I also think the orders should be able to be returned if there's a quality level to the knitting craftables and a chance to send out the wrong order. I also think our sims should be able to buy yarn/craftables off the site. As for donating I think there should be an option and maybe if there's a donate knitting option maybe we get a pop-up of different places we could donate and what there looking for like a children's hospital looking for toys or a nursing home looking for homemade decor etc. and our sim can choose one and have a time period to make as many as they can..maybe we even have like a donation box our sim can put what they make in it and when it's time what's in the box is donated to the charity/program.

I think they should itch alot maybe have a itchy moodlet/uncomfortable moodlet, have an autonomous/option on the sweater to hide the sweater. Perhaps, an animation of them tugging on the neck to show their discomfort.

These are just some of my favorites...
    knit happens
    stitches be slippin
    Wool you just let me knit in peace?
    I Knit What’s Your Superpower
    I need a HUG e amount of yarn.
    I’m working on my Ph.D (Projects Half Done) in Knitting
    Yarn is like chocolate. You can never have too much!
    If you have anything to say to me, say it now. I’m about to start knitting, and I won’t be listening to anyone for the next few hours.

I don't think i'd like the teach to knit to be autonomous I think the skilled knitter/knitting student should have the option of asking to teach. I do think it be funny if there was an auto teach knit for when your knitter is out. I just think it be hilarious to see your knitting sim trying to teach a stranger at the park or walking down the sidewalk LOL.

And an added bonus I think there should be an option on the computer where your sim could watch a knitting video and gain some skill like they can when they watch say the cooking channel.
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited March 2020
    The only thing I can think of is the ability to gift the craftables crossing over with Seasons and also character values in Parenthood.
    Fame just doesn't fit with...knitting. (Although it would be amusing to see stans fangirling over Granny Hudson, Master of the Knitting Needles. :D )

BRING EM ON! If this is the only way to bring in the crochet, let's do this!

I would think knitting at a desk would be awkward. No thank you.

I don't knit, but I can say that if it takes too long, I will lose interest quickly.

Ugh, how uncomfortable!

I don't knit, but I want a bonding experience for my Sims. I can see this as a perfect opportunity for Granny to spend some quality time with the grandkids. This gives Elders and Children more to do.

What's Etsy? :D

Hives. >:) And a need for an oatmeal bath...

*crickets*

Nah, leave it as a prompted action. I may feel the urge to off Granny if she gets too pushy.

Post edited by Anmirla on
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • MidianMidian Posts: 24 Member

Seasons - homemade knit clothing (sweaters, hats) should leave Sims extra warm, even when set as their everyday wear in hot temperatures
    Cats & Dogs - pets should be able to play with yarn balls which they could get out of the Knitting Baskets along with toddlers!! Toddlers and pets should be able to use the Knitting Basket gameplay object to retrieve a yarn ball toy.

Oh my God, yes, I love this idea so much! I'd be over the moon if it got included.
  • MysticalSimmerMysticalSimmer Posts: 160 Member
    Question #1 -
    I think cross compatibility really makes the game. For me the ability to make knitting clubs is really important. I’d also love to see knitting as an elective class/skill class for university. I’d love for some way to sell knitted items to be incorporated so that maybe sims could make extra income from it. Please please allow pets to play with yarn, it would be so cute! I think fame would seem a little silly. Most people don’t knit to get famous :)

Question #2 -
    I don’t think there is anything wrong with crochet items being available. It’d be cool to have the animations but I would appreciate the craftables no matter what!

Question #3-
    I’d really like to see sims be able to knit at multiple locations rather than just tied to one object. I’m okay with them knitting at a desk, but seeing them knit on a couch would be cute too.

Question #4-
    I have no experience with knitting at all but I think it’d be really cool to see it take more time. I wish it was like this for other things in the game. Your sims can produce masterpieces really quickly as is and I feel it’s more realistic if sims have to find time in their spare time over a few days to make something.

Question #5-
    I think I’d be okay with this. I’d prefer sitting though.

Question #6-
    I think this would be super cute! You could have a kid get really frustrated or be really excited when they finally understand how to do it. I’d like to see them slip up, accidentally poke themselves ect. And these could give moodlets. You could have a cute animation where the person teaching them pats them on the back or something encouragingly. I love some good story telling details.

Question #7-
    I love this! But I don't have any interesting stories myself. I do think sims could get negative or positive moodlets based on how the customer felt about their product.

Question#8 -
    I’d just like them to be visibly uncomfortable.

Question#9 -
    I suck at puns, sorry :o

Question#10-
    I would be fine with it being autonomous.
  • tatygirl90tatygirl90 Posts: 33 Member
    I definitely would like to be able to use the rocking chairs to rock babies and toddlers.
  • PearLadyPearLady Posts: 207 Member
    Hello Sims forums! I’m a gameplay designer on SP17 and I have some insight and questions for the community!

Also if you haven't already, please take the object vote! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JZBMHNF

giphy.gif

Q1: Crosspack!

I love these ideas. I wonder if showing off one's creations to another would be possible (and perhaps getting a corresponding moodlet)? Being proud to be able to wear a handmade item (or disgusted, depending on the sim's personality), kids showing their parents what they can do, giving them the creations as gifts...etc.

As a player, I would love it, as I like to have my sims' homes be decorated with their craftables. I suppose if the project comes out poorly though, the sim(s) should be none to happy about that. (another way for some simmers amongst us to torture their sims as well -- LOL)

TBH, knitting on an easy chair would be more ideal for many projects. Bending over a crafting desk/table would hurt one's back after a time.

Depends on what's being knitted, but yes I imagine it would be difficult to complete most projects in one sitting, unless they were knitting a keychain or something. hehe

Yes, but don't make it a habit, for it can be tiring work. :wink:

I was frustrated not doing more than a chain stitch starting out (1strand of crochet), but I loved being with/watching my grandma knitting (it seemed to come so easy for her). another reason why I mentioned "showing off" a design earlier. I made a lot of "belts" and twisty ties. lol :smiley:

'
    Be able to sell and ship them to another in the world perhaps? Intriguing possibilities.

If the nearby sims is empathetic, he/she can reach out and comfort or make that sim laugh, or praise them for being courageous/kind. If not, bullies taunt away...they're asking for it. ;D

A stitch in time saves none because the work never gets done. ;P Sorry...my brain is tired today.

I do appreciate when nearby family members to take time to help with a child/teen's homework, so I think I'd like that as well with the knitting. Although if it's a mean sim or the mentor sim is in a bad mood, perhaps discouraging or teasing could be an option as well.

____________________________________________________________________________

The early design process is a very fun time for me, and I hope I painted a picture of the sort of questions that get brought up during this development stage. Lemme know what you guys think!

Don't anger the fruit. It may make her toot (at you). ;)
  • mxlomxlo Posts: 1 New Member
    Q1: I think the cross-pack ideas you have are great! I especially love being able to sell the items.

Q2: As someone who hasn't knitted or crochet I think it would be okay, but I would definitely love some items that looked like they were crocheted.

Q3: I think if their is going to be a desk included in this pack that it would definitely be good to add knitting into it.

Q4: I have no experience in this but I think that's why I should offer the idea that smaller items take like a day while the biggest projects, depending on what it could be, could take up to maybe a sim week.

Q5: I really wouldn't want my sims to start knitting while I have them out at a club or something xD but maybe it's fine.

Q8: I think areas around the neck and wrists should turn patchy and red. I also think it would be great if they became irritated/tense.

Q10: It would be great if it was autonomous! However, I think I would also want the sims to have the option to refuse the offer if it's autonomous.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top