Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

this is REALLY annoying

My sims are constantly using the bathroom sink to wash dishes instead of the kitchen sink. The kitchen sink is closer ( they walk right by it ). I even told my sim to "load dishwasher" and she still took the dishes to the bathroom. Is there a mod to fix this? or something in game to fix it?

Comments

• ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    If you prefer not to use a mod, you could always remove all sinks from your house.

Sometimes I have houses with no sinks at all, just a dishwasher and a bin. Saves time in the bathroom too!
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    edited March 2020
    My sims wouldn’t use the dishwasher. I found out it was because there was a cabinet above it (cc, maybe that’s why because the game ones seem fine), I replaced it with a small cabinet and now they use it instead of washing the dishes where they wash their poopy hands !

Also make sure there’s not an island counter in front of the dishwasher because then they often won’t use it either....
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    This is a persistent issue that should be fixed by the developers without us needing to fix it with mods.

I’ve also found other routing issues where they need to climb down stairs to get to the other side of the room when they could have just walked over there.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    I used to not put sinks in any house I built or "renovated". Then I started using the tool from MCCC to stop annoying autonomous actions.

Click your sim: MC Command Center/MC Tuner/Enable Autonomy Scan. Click the object you want to change, then Autonomy Scan. You can then pick from a list what actions you want to disable.

It has saved my sanity.
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,089 Member
    ArcherDK wrote: »

Thanks!
    Dianesims wrote: »
    My sims wouldn’t use the dishwasher. I found out it was because there was a cabinet above it (cc, maybe that’s why because the game ones seem fine), I replaced it with a small cabinet and now they use it instead of washing the dishes where they wash their poopy hands !

Also make sure there’s not an island counter in front of the dishwasher because then they often won’t use it either....

I do use CC cabinets and counters. Grrr. I used to be so anti-CC with Build/Buy objects but lately I found some great Sim creator packs and I started getting addicted and now it's coming back to haunt me. lol.
  • hellokitty1496hellokitty1496 Posts: 243 Member
    Are you sure you don't have something blocking your sim's pathway, like, furniture or display shelves?
    I'd create a test save to re-arrange the kitchen. For example: expand walls, replace/upgrade dishwasher, place shelves or cupboards up higher, etc.). I'd also start a new save where you're not using any mods/cc and see if that helps.

I've had an occurrence like this once, but more so for them not cleaning up dishes.
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,089 Member
    Are you sure you don't have something blocking your sim's pathway, like, furniture or display shelves?
    I'd create a test save to re-arrange the kitchen. For example: expand walls, replace/upgrade dishwasher, place shelves or cupboards up higher, etc.). I'd also start a new save where you're not using any mods/cc and see if that helps.

I've had an occurrence like this once, but more so for them not cleaning up dishes.

100%. I directed the sim to get a glass of water from the kitchen sink and he was able to do so no problem.
  • aldavoraldavor Posts: 1,387 Member
    Oddly, how I got around things like that was to delete the sink(s) then come out of build mode, then back into it and re-buy what's needed.
    cat01.gif
    My Website: https://sims4.aldavor.net
    #keepitfree
  • ROSEUMIEEROSEUMIEE Posts: 18 Member
    I wish my sims would stop that too. I guess I will try removing all the sinks.
  • alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    it kind of makes sense that sims would just go to whatever sink is closest since there isn't anything telling them which is a bathroom sink and which is a kitchen sink. you know which room the kitchen is, but the game doesn't. still super annoying though
    i think the devs should implement a feature that lets the player designate which one is the kitchen sink, similar to the one that lets you choose the front door. i don't know why they haven't yet, seems like such an easy fix
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    Put a expensive high hygiene rated sink in the kitchen and the cheap low rated hygiene sink in the bathrooms. From my experience Sims use the best sink in the house. The same goes for counters. Having expensive counters in the bathroom with cheaper counters in the kitchen allows my Sims to prepare food in the bathroom even if it's farther away. Also pay attention to what is on the wall or hanging from the ceiling and what clutter is nearby. Upgrade dishwashers if your Sim can.

I had cc cheap counters in the kitchen and more expensive counters in the upstairs bathroom. My Sims were going upstairs to prepare food and wash dishes when there were 4 open counters and a nice sink in the kitchen. I swapped out everything making the bathrooms less than the kitchen and now all is good.

If you take away all the sinks and have city living use the talking toilets. After the toilet knows your Sim more options open up in place of the question marks. Use and sanitize is one option. Even with a sink in the bathroom Sims will not need to wash their hands if you pick the use and sanitize option.

This is an annoying situation but no mod is needed. Just outsmart your Sims. The don't wash dishes where you angry poop is an awesome name for a mod!
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    edited March 2020
    Well in my case the cc cabinet I used was not tagged as a cabinet in build mode, maybe that’s why. It was tagged as a wall shelf, like the Island living and laundry day shelves. Maybe that’s why, I don’t know. But now I changed it they use the dishwasher. They only use the sink to drink water I think. I’ve never seen them wash a single dish in it :confused:

aaronrulz wrote: »
    ArcherDK wrote: »

Thanks!
    Dianesims wrote: »

I do use CC cabinets and counters. Grrr. I used to be so anti-CC with Build/Buy objects but lately I found some great Sim creator packs and I started getting addicted and now it's coming back to haunt me. lol.

• fallenangel66fallenangel66 Posts: 294 Member
    I turn on MOO and place the Laundry Day cleaning bucket under the bathroom sinks. It means they don't use the bathroom sinks but I find I don't mind that.
  • hellokitty1496hellokitty1496 Posts: 243 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »

100%. I directed the sim to get a glass of water from the kitchen sink and he was able to do so no problem.

That's great!
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    It is ashame that one cannot use options such as the sinks in the game as they were designed to be used w/o an mod. This problem with the sinks happens in my game as well and I do not use mods in my games but I became sort of numb to that problem and let the sinks stay for decorative purposes and let them wash them in the bathroom sink.It goes to show me Sims 4 has problems as Sims 3 may have and the AI is not that smart.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • YumikatYumikat Posts: 24 Member
    used to have that problem in every sims game I played. Yes it is frustrating but no more frustrating than washing my dog on the game and him going through the trash like a second later. really would not be a sims game without those.