Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When are you guys going to let players join each others game?

Comments

• DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    No. It would make me uncomfortable. Then you lose control over what you want your own game to be.

Also I think offline multi-player with your family or friends could be fine, but online multi player could be dangerous and potentially open the door to creeps, bullying, crooks, harassment...
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Hell no.

The very last thing this franchise needs is multi-player. From a safety perspective it’s a big no no, not to mention if it were a multiplayer you most likely wouldn’t have mods or cc, micro transactions would be introduced and history has shown us that EA are not to be trusted making this sort of thing. Sim city 2013 anyone? The sims online?

There are plenty of games that work well as a single player. Not every game has to be multi player.

This is the perfect answer here, IMO. "Not every game has to be multi player".

The sims works well as is, it sells well. Do they really want to mess with that? Well apparently yes, and they haven't learned from past online failures (and yes, Sims online was a fail, and simport in TS3 was a fail).

A good number of people have already listed reasons why they shouldn't do this. I agree with all of them. That said, however, I do feel like the online is coming sooner rather than later so to the OP: you might just get your wish.

It's not that I don't like online games. I play a few and I enjoy them. Would sims lend itself well to this format? A sandbox that anyone can play in and do as they please? Not so much.

So many people didn't want story progression because they didn't want the game itself to interfere with their game... yeah... so online and letting other people interfere is a good idea?! I can't even... If they won't allow story progression or even a dang toggle for it... but they want to add online? It breaks my brain to try to even understand this reasoning.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    From what I gather on the forums I think that having a multi player Sims game would only appeal to a small number of Simmers
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    NO! I want an open world sandbox that allows creativity, not questing or playing with other simmers. Sims is not your typical game and most of us are not your typical gamers. Making it MMO would be losing the essence of what makes sims amazing.

If you want to play with other simmers, share your game save with them and play back and forth.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I will definitely uninstall the game if that happened.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Hestia wrote: »
    To the rest of the replies, I can't quite grasp how you're entirely opposed to multiplayer, something to potentially add more hours to the game to those of us with friends, yet you're fine with watered-down packs and partially-working if not broken basic features.
    @charlesberg No, I am not fine with it and no, I will not allow you to generalize myself within that group of people. Even though there are unfortunately in fact a group of players who enable The Sims Studio to continue with it. I am not them. :|

Adding multiplayer or keeping it single player (as it should be) doesn’t necessarily define “added hours of gameplay”. In defense of The Sims 3, The Sims 2, The Sims 1, The Elder Scrolls series, The Witcher and many more successful single-player games out there.

According to the data, which admittedly also counts the time the game is paused, I just passed 2150 hours in Sims 4.
    I also have 800+ hours in Crusaders Kings 2, 1500 hours in Fallout 4 and Skyrim, and i know for sure I finished Baldur's Gate II back in the day (a 100 hours per playthru with all expansions) 12 times.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    I would love it. It would probably get me to play sims again. That is one reason I removed the game because playing by myself is boring. I would love it if my boyfriend and friends could play with me. I love playing with people and not everyone that plays in an MMO is a pest or whatever some of you think of them. There are some very nice people out there.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
    Dianesims wrote: »
    No. It would make me uncomfortable. Then you lose control over what you want your own game to be.

Also I think offline multi-player with your family or friends could be fine, but online multi player could be dangerous and potentially open the door to creeps, bullying, crooks, harassment...

In all my years of playing MMOs (I started with SWG), I have never had someone that bullied me or harass me as such. Maybe because I just walk off or ignore those types of people and regardless of everyone thinking there are more of those types of people, I have found the opposite to be true. Most people are friendly and polite and helpful.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
  • PotsaePotsae Posts: 79 Member
    When I was little back in TS2 times my friends and I thought it could be cool, but now I'm hoping it never happens - not in the main series. The Sims Online must be in the gaming books on "how not to" considering how I still encounter mentions of horrors that happened there. There are way too many disgusting people out there for an online life simulator unless extremly heavy moderation, but we are talking about EA/Maxis who still allow for incest/🐸🐸🐸🐸 bug to happen in TS4! After so many years! When I was little I played strongly moderated kids oriented games and things still went wrong from time to time.
    As for my personal prefrences, I want to rest from any kind of people when I play not to engage with them in any form - I don't even use gallery.
    Overall, it will be another "murdered by EA's innovations" for me. And what for? With TS4 model it already must be bringing money not every loot box can bring. The irony of how we already have a few examples of how EA breaks things people love to make money and then fails to even, well, make money is too much. The fact that they still attempt to do so even more.
    That said, from seeing trends, lurking forums and reading interviews I doubt we still have a choice. Feels like they are testing waters for something that is already in work. Hope it's just a feeling.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member

In all my years of playing MMOs (I started with SWG), I have never had someone that bullied me or harass me as such. Maybe because I just walk off or ignore those types of people and regardless of everyone thinking there are more of those types of people, I have found the opposite to be true. Most people are friendly and polite and helpful.

A life simulation MMO is enough to attract those kinds of people. There are several of these games already in existence and making The Sims online isn’t the essence of the product.

I’m an MMO veteran myself and have spanned across many in my life. The Sims is definitely not the place for it.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    When are you guys going to let players join each others game? Like play with other players?...... I think that would be awesome!

No. I'm sorry. But I don't want to see you in my game 🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈
    I feel the same about you. But then I'm sure if you were in my game, I could either close it to friends, go offline or simply kick you from it. I mean, that's how that would probably work.

Unless you honestly thought otherwise.

edit;

To the rest of the replies, I can't quite grasp how you're entirely opposed to multiplayer, something to potentially add more hours to the game to those of us with friends, yet you're fine with watered-down packs and partially-working if not broken basic features.

If all those problems exists in a single player game how many more problems do you think there might be where devs split their time into two different parts of single and multi-player game elements? Any better? I think not.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    Lots of Simmers like to play offline as they hate Origin and some even EA/Maxis. I,myself, wouldn't mind if you were given the choice, when installing, if you wanted to play online or not.
    The online game would need to be heavily policed though and no mods allowed. It might be a good way to spread a bad mod or CC virus if EA/Maxis got a bit lax. (They seem to have had a bit of a hit lately with their servers going offline from what I gathered from Twitter chat).
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

A life simulation MMO is enough to attract those kinds of people. There are several of these games already in existence and making The Sims online isn’t the essence of the product.

I’m an MMO veteran myself and have spanned across many in my life. The Sims is definitely not the place for it.

That's good that you pointed that out! I don't play a lot of online multiplayers - just Borderlands. It has a good community, not toxic at all, but that's because the gameplay is very focused and limited - all you can do in the game is shoot NPCs or other players. The only thing that you might get mad at is if the loot gets hogged by the other players, but for me, I already earn so much money and acquired my favorite weapons during solo play that I don't even bother getting any of the loot. Also, if you don't want other players turning on you and shooting at you, thus turning it into a battle royale session, there's an option to not allow that in your settings.

MMOs are largely like that - focused and limited gameplay that's mostly shooting/fighting and foraging for materials if there is crafting in the game. There is no woohoo or any other shenanigans where other sims can get into your sim's personal space (and thus you). But The Sims is totally different from MMOs, and as you have pointed out, a life-simulation game that has all that. I know without mods, the game is pretty tame, but I don't even want some stranger sim coming on to my sims for that. Also, what if someone was able to hack the online game? Someone most likely will. It wouldn't be safe for children or adults.
    edited March 2020

Really? come on, people don't need a life simulation to come up with ways to make it more "real". I played SWG, Wow and now playing SWTOR and people can ERP with others but they keep it to themselves. No one is forced to play that way and they take it to private chats. It is easy to tell someone no and they just move along. They don't force you to play their way.

That's good that you pointed that out! I don't play a lot of online multiplayers - just Borderlands. It has a good community, not toxic at all, but that's because the gameplay is very focused and limited - all you can do in the game is shoot NPCs or other players. The only thing that you might get mad at is if the loot gets hogged by the other players, but for me, I already earn so much money and acquired my favorite weapons during solo play that I don't even bother getting any of the loot. Also, if you don't want other players turning on you and shooting at you, thus turning it into a battle royale session, there's an option to not allow that in your settings.

MMOs are largely like that - focused and limited gameplay that's mostly shooting/fighting and foraging for materials if there is crafting in the game. There is no woohoo or any other shenanigans where other sims can get into your sim's personal space (and thus you). But The Sims is totally different from MMOs, and as you have pointed out, a life-simulation game that has all that. I know without mods, the game is pretty tame, but I don't even want some stranger sim coming on to my sims for that. Also, what if someone was able to hack the online game? Someone most likely will. It wouldn't be safe for children or adults.

There is what people call ERP (Erotic Roleplay) between two people but it is easy to tell them no thank you. I have told people no thank you, not my style of play and they move along without any problems.

• IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    I don't even want to have to tell someone "no" in the first place. I especially would not want my daughter propositioned. That kind of interaction from a stranger has no place in the Sims (in my opinion).

It might boil down to two different ideas of what online play entails. I understand some people might think it's fun to play with their friends or siblings, I've got friends who are simmers, too. However, would it be just a closed set where you only play with people you know personally? Or would it be open to random strangers?

Either way, it's not for me.

I know I would not have to purchase it (and I would not). The sims has been an important part of my life for the past 20 years for my entertainment. I would be very disappointed if the newest offering was an online version.
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member

There is what people call ERP (Erotic Roleplay) between two people but it is easy to tell them no thank you. I have told people no thank you, not my style of play and they move along without any problems.

And many people don't want to deal with even the possibility of that. Even if they know the chances to be low.

And no one's even bothered to deal with the logistical nightmare of how divorces would work in game when the characters are divorcing because two friends had a falling out and no longer want anything to do with each other. Or how splitting up jointly owned things would happen in the instances of players falling out with each other.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    When are you guys going to let players join each others game? Like play with other players?...... I think that would be awesome!

No. I'm sorry. But I don't want to see you in my game 🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈
    I feel the same about you. But then I'm sure if you were in my game, I could either close it to friends, go offline or simply kick you from it. I mean, that's how that would probably work.

Unless you honestly thought otherwise.

edit;

If EA is stupid enough to multiplayer the game, then it needs to be totally separate. As in its own game not even reomtely connected to the regular one. Multiplayer is a minefield waiting to blow someone up. I tried online gaming and bailed out very quickly. No, I'm NOT fine with the watered-down and disfunctional packs, so don't lump me (or the others of same mind) in with that assertion. The Sims, sales notwithstanding, is a ship taking on water that does not need to hit an iceberg.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2020

I don't even want the possibility of being propositioned to happen - especially to innocent children. Why would I even want them to be exposed to that?? Also when someone hacks the game, it increases the risk of perverts exposing children to all sorts of terrible things. Just look at the scandal that happened on YouTube that caused them to close the comments threads on ALL videos with children in them and closed down certain channels that drew children to them, exposing them to child violence and thus desensitizing them. That's how determined perverts are.

Heck, I am an adult and I also don't want that kind of exposure presented to me. I liked the idea of chatrooms when they first came out, but quickly got turned off when I saw all that. I also noticed that its hard to keep chatrooms clean and 🐸🐸🐸🐸-free no matter how hard you try. It happened in second life and all the other social apps like it as well.

It's absolutely disgusting that greed has so blinded EA that they don't even consider those things and still trying to convince simmers to go along with the online multiplayer idea. They are just setting themselves up for another failure as everyone gets fed up and leaves for Paralives/Paradox Tectonic and other games.

So EAxis - ask yourself:

Do you want to take a chance again at another online sim game, knowing that it has failed 100% in ALL your past attempts?

OR

Do you want guaranteed profits if you just give us the single player sim game we want with all the features we asked for?

It's not rocket science.

• CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I think to be online they'd probably have to up the rating too. Now all of these younger ones they've attracted with TS4 can't play suddenly. Except that they will... I can see some trouble from angry parents eventually. None of this seems to make good business sense in my mind and I don't think it would bring them more sales at all and actually quite the opposite.

If they did do it like simport... *yawn* that's not online, that was just an early version of a "gallery" and a random sim downloaded into your game made by your friend that you can't control or even interact with in any way that your friend even knew that you threw a tomato at them. Even this little bit wouldn't interest me. I saw it once, it was fun the first time and I was done by the third time. The lag it brought with it wasn't worth it.

It is interesting to see recently that the past month or so, most, if not all EA servers going down for all of their games. I'm not interested in not being able to play my sims like the people who can't play FIFA or Battlefield. At least now we can still log in offline and play. Sure we lost the gallery too for spurts and even weekends at a time, but that's so much different than not being able to play at all. If EA can't get their weekends sorted or have enough servers to provide for the influx of players for those games on the weekend, how well do you think they will handle the sims? *hmmm*
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Wow it got ugly on this thread...
  • PotsaePotsae Posts: 79 Member
    [quote="ddd994;c-17420064"]Wow it got ugly on this thread...[/quote]

Not nearly as ugly as it would inevitably get in an multiplayer heh
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member

Really? come on, people don't need a life simulation to come up with ways to make it more "real". I played SWG, Wow and now playing SWTOR and people can ERP with others but they keep it to themselves. No one is forced to play that way and they take it to private chats. It is easy to tell someone no and they just move along. They don't force you to play their way.

Hate to break it to you, but SWG, SWTOR, and World of Warcraft aren’t life simulator MMOs.
    wB2Zykl.jpg