Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are expansions getting worse with each Sims game?

I'm so confused as to why we are getting the same expansion packs as were released in previous sims games, yet we are missing things from them. Such as our pets expansion was only cats and dogs, and is missing horses from sims 3. In the other pets expansions there was a pet store, and I completely understand why they would get rid of it but it would be nice to even just have an animal shelter that could perhaps be run and owned by your sims. If you decided you wanted to adopt an animal you could go see all of the ones available rather than looking at the picture of their face on the computer screen. Also you would be able to bring the stray animals to the shelter rather than adopt them into your own home or just leave them all smelly and hungry on the streets.
Another example of us missing items from expansion packs would be in Island Living. I personally didn't play sims 3, but Island Living to me is the exact same as Island Paradise but without the fun gameplay of getting to run your own resort.
I'm honestly just not understanding why as the years progress they continue making new sims games when they could just make one Sims (rather than having sims 1, 2, 3, and 4) and make it absolutely perfect and including all of the great gameplay we got in previous games.
Its sad getting expansions we are so excited about and seeing that they aren't even as good as the ones from previous years. :(
Do you have any other examples of things we are missing from Sims 4 but had in previous games?

Comments

• friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    nope to me each expansion looks better and no matter if the add on is an expansion a gamepack or stuffpacks games will never be bug free thats what i say to myself as a player of the sims
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    Well, I definitely don't think the EPs are getting better. And it becomes more grating when thy release packs that have been in previous generations, but they're not well executed. I think I would rather have a completely new idea, poorly executed than the same concept rehashed and poorly executed. It's becoming so boring. Ideally, I would love a new concept well executed but alas.
  • CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member
    I feel like the Sims 4 is just different, not necessarily worse. You get completely different things. For example, Island Living has the whole Island Conservation thing, which is new and different and Eco like people have been asking for for years. People are made that We don't have a Supernatural expansion pack but the ones we have gotten (vampires and spellcasters) have been leaps and bounds better than their predecessors.

The point isn't to remake each EP with better graphics but to build new and different gameplay. So it comes down to... do you want more robust components like a deep dive into Cats and Dogs or do you want smaller gameplay but more animals?
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I never played older versions, but just hearing from other people and watching LPs of TS3 on Youtube, you can really see that there are a lot of features that existed in earlier versions that they removed with very little reason to. Just to take your example, I don't think horses necessarily needed to be in C&D, but common small animals like hamsters, ferrets, rabbits, birds, lizards etc would have added so many more options. I see no reason why we had to sacrifice small pets for a glitchy vet inclusion.

That appears to be the issue with most of the EPs. They seem to not want to remake every pack exactly as it was in the previous iteration, so they take things out so they won't seem like carbon copies. But rarely is what they add as interesting as what was in the older version. I get that they didn't want another Island Paradise, but Island Living just comes across as dull with no option to have hotels or resorts.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    YES. They told everyone they wanted to do new stuff, but have rehashed the same general pack ideas with even less going for them than before.

Most of the time they will make a point to do something “differently” which usually upsets some people, but rarely does anything monumental to improve the gaming experience. They have made some promising features, but they just give them a minor facelift and use it as the main attraction for another DLC which I don’t find particularly appealing. The quality of Sims 4 DLC was a lot better years ago, but even then it wasn’t great.
  • mimilu04mimilu04 Posts: 83 Member
    In Cats and Dogs there is the possibility to run a vet clinic which is a new feature compared to older games, so there's a trade there. I think it would be quite boring if they released the exact same expansions at every generation.

About why there is TheSims1,2,3,4... Computers change, the technology/engine to build games change, graphics get better... You can't just keep adding lines of codes on a build that is 20 years old.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Yes.
    Apartments in 4 don't even come close to the game play that came with apartments in 2.
    Sulani can't compare to Isla Paradisio.
    The "quests" in sims 4 vacation worlds don't compare nearly to those of WA in 3, or even the game play of 2. And because the worlds are all connected, we are restricted on being able to designate any lot in ANY world as a vacation retreat.
    Seems to me every expansion pack for Sims 4 and it's design, causes more headaches than it ends up being worth. (like seasons and the decorations going auto on community lots etc.)

I find the only thing they did possibly do right was maybe Vampires.

Most of the time the additions become a major annoyance.
  • Gecko420Gecko420 Posts: 245 Member
    edited February 2020
    Yes they are lacking, the two biggest ones are C&D and Island living. Let me start off with cats and dogs vs sims 3 pets, oh boy where do I begin sims 3 gave us cats, dogs, horses, birds, lizards, rodents, snakes, turtles, deer, raccoons, and freaking unicorns. Cats and Dogs gave us well... cats and dogs... and the ability to become a vet, which was nice but I find it incredibly hard to believe that they couldn’t at least add things like rodents, birds, reptiles, or even wild animals back such as skunks, deer or actual raccoons (no those skin for the cat as a raccoon doesn’t count) and they had to make a stuff pack which only gave us hamsters which was nice but that’s it? They couldn’t add the other small animals?

Now on to island living vs island paradise in the sims 3, once again a major let down I was so hyped up for nothing. Only thing I like in this pack is the conservationist career and the off the grid trait as well as the world. Sims 3 IP gave us house boats, resorts, an active lifeguard career, and ability to actually dive underwater and properly scuba dive, it had visible sharks, and a kraken. Sims 4 the life guard career is a rabbit hole which is a let down because it was so fun in the sims 3, I didn’t expect house boats to be in the sims 4 and was okay without them. Resorts would have been nice, but my disappointments are the fact that you can’t go underwater and explore the ocean, seriously that makes mermaids pretty much useless. I would have loved a tiny underwater area like in island paradise so disappointing. Also mermaids were fun in the sims 3 because they could do stuff with the ocean and I liked the danger of lack of water killing you as it made sense. Sims 4 mermaids are pretty and fun to make but they are almost entirely useless as this pack has nothing to offer aside from the conservation career.
    t0j4i8.jpg
    mimilu04 wrote: »
    In Cats and Dogs there is the possibility to run a vet clinic which is a new feature compared to older games, so there's a trade there. I think it would be quite boring if they released the exact same expansions at every generation.

About why there is TheSims1,2,3,4... Computers change, the technology/engine to build games change, graphics get better... You can't just keep adding lines of codes on a build that is 20 years old.

That’s true but vets are super repetitive. Like even more repetitive than the retail lots they were copied from. You do the same list of interactions over and over, and the outcomes aren’t that varied. I mean if they could have made something that wasn’t recycled from the first expansion pack I’d probably have chosen that, but they chose to put a new spin on an old feature.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Island Living was actually insulting to me. I haven't gotten it, but Discover University looks just as obnoxiously stripped down compared to University Life as IL was to Isla Paradiso. But, you know, apparently people are fine with less gameplay and items for the same $$, so cool? I guess.
  • taschatascha Posts: 52 Member
    @Gecko420 I was so excited for island living also. I never played sims 3 and always wanted to play island paradise, so I was really excited for sims 4 island living, but its not even close so I actually have not purchased it.

• BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    They are, it seems like they scraping for ideas but coming up short. As everyone said, island living was the most lacking. You just have islands placed In giant pool (which is why you can't go under water) to mimic a tropical world were all you do is just clean up trash off the island. Mermaids are just there to look pretty...but not much else. I also thought get together was pointless...when have your sims never been able to get together in the sims. I just didn't see the point..
    giphy.gif

• SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited February 2020
    Felicity wrote: »
    Island Living was actually insulting to me. I haven't gotten it, but Discover University looks just as obnoxiously stripped down compared to University Life as IL was to Isla Paradiso. But, you know, apparently people are fine with less gameplay and items for the same $$, so cool? I guess.

I must say, even if we don't have active classes to attend (that would be even better), I really do like how they did DU. It's really challenging and a lot of work for your Sim if you always want to do your homework, assignments, presentations, take 4 courses per semester AND join organisations on top. I really enjoy it. It's lots of gameplay and I love how my Sims talk to each other when doing their homework together. I also like how you can attend University by commuting from home and don't need to live in a secluded world.

That said, they could have done the biking thing better and we miss bikes for children and tricycles for toddlers.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I feel like expansions are parred down compared to previous versions of the game and it probably has to do with money. 20 years have passed since TS1 and we get a lot less items and game play per pack for about the same amount of money. As long as people will pay it, they will keep doing it and it will only get worse in the future. The bottom line is always going to be more profit. EA will always cut jobs and demand more while making packs with less and less in them. It's not just EA though to be fair. All big co-operations follow this business model these days, make as much as possible with as little as possible and charge more. Welcome to 2020. I don't think we will ever see The Sims games in terms of quality of the past iterations. That ship has sailed.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    Yes, and this is directly related to the base game being worse. Remember, the base game didn't even have toddlers. Things are released in bits and pieces, like they haven't been thought out fully.

The more shallow packs they make, the more money they can make. Why put all the pets in one pack, when they can release a "Cats & Dogs EP," make you buy some Pet Stuff thing for a hamster, and then probably release a totally different pack later with horses or something?

It's frustrating.
  • taschatascha Posts: 52 Member
    Placebo7 wrote: »
    Yes, and this is directly related to the base game being worse. Remember, the base game didn't even have toddlers. Things are released in bits and pieces, like they haven't been thought out fully.

The more shallow packs they make, the more money they can make. Why put all the pets in one pack, when they can release a "Cats & Dogs EP," make you buy some Pet Stuff thing for a hamster, and then probably release a totally different pack later with horses or something?

It's frustrating.

Very true. We didn't even have pools in the beginning.
    tascha wrote: »
    Placebo7 wrote: »

It's frustrating.

Very true. We didn't even have pools in the beginning.

Or ghosts, family trees, basic NPCs ...
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    This is totally the case. Usually when you start having a feeling, there's a reason, and that's the case, the quality has roughly diminished.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    I suspect that over the years the people who made past versions of the Sims great moved on to other companies, or became jaded, and the newer Sims team simply doesn't have the same brilliant vision.

Perhaps, it is also our fault, the fans. I know that I should just stop buying Sims expansions, since they nearly always leave me disappointed and dissatisfied. Yet, I don't stop, I keep hoping for that pack that will come along and make a difference to the game... I guess that makes me a fool.
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    The memory of Grant saying Jungle Adventure is "much better" than World Adventures on Twitter still hurts me.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    APotts wrote: »
    I suspect that over the years the people who made past versions of the Sims great moved on to other companies, or became jaded, and the newer Sims team simply doesn't have the same brilliant vision.

Perhaps, it is also our fault, the fans. I know that I should just stop buying Sims expansions, since they nearly always leave me disappointed and dissatisfied. Yet, I don't stop, I keep hoping for that pack that will come along and make a difference to the game... I guess that makes me a fool.

I was like that too, but it's never too late to wake up! :joy:
    Lu4ERme.gif