Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are your sims rich or poor?

124...Next

Comments

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Rags to riches (but I continue playing them / generational play)
    ArcherDK wrote: »
    Start poor, earn everything by merit and work, become filthily rich. No cheating.

That's what I do too as I see no fun in starting them off rich or artificially making them weathly.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • sofa23sofa23 Posts: 37 Member
    Both (no preference)
    It depends on my mood and what kind of game i'm playing.
  • PeppermixPeppermix Posts: 231 Member
    My sims are usually rich
    Usually rich, but I love to play poor families in Sulani. So much more fun to fish, garden and look for seashells.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Both (no preference)
    I play both but I used to always start poor and now it's gotten boring to do the same old grind making money. I do it for diversity in my neighbourhood so it's more realistic but I prefer to create stories so my favourite way to play is rich with no needs decay but still a normal cozy home... Usually on Sulani. They don't live fancy lives but money won't be a factor on them spending week after week in the jungle or expanding their home to make room for their new foster kid. (I use the foster family mod and already have families of 8 haha)
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Both (no preference)
    My sims will start out on the basic 20,000 simoleons and some of them I play make it rich some don’t. I find I enjoy gameplay with both rich and poor sims but in different ways.
  • Sims4DisneyStuffSims4DisneyStuff Posts: 143 Member
    Rich! But only because sims stuff in game is so expensive! Honestly...sim city has huge taxation 🤣
  • EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
    Rosebud Challenge = Rags to Riches style.
    Start with nothing and build from there.
    Usually keep a single Sim alive with youth potion. Then maybe let them have a family to carry on to the end.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    My sims are usually rich
    Since my one sim is working her way through all careers and aspirations she's rolling in the dough. I have tried playing rags to riches but eventually there would be something I wanted for my sims and didn't want to wait. Buying a business, going on vacation. No delayed gratification for me.
  • LehmanLegacyLehmanLegacy Posts: 176 Member
    Both (no preference)
    Like a few people have said above, it really depends on the story that I have in mind for a family. I like to have a full spread of families across all walks of life so I don't really have a preference for whether or not my Sims are poor. My ongoing Legacy save, the Lehman's, originally rose up from nothing and have had money for 3 generations but because I use a mod to increase the cost of bills the family still have to work to keep things afloat.

Some of my sim families work two jobs, some work one. Not one of them is the same.
    It's what makes my save unique, and it's why I enjoy the Sims so much! :)
  • tayahjessieetayahjessiee Posts: 20 Member
    My favourite way to play is to start off my sims right from the base amount they get to start with, and then building them to be more successful until eventually they have a really nice house, a comfortable amount of money, and a good income coming in daily.
    "They say it don't be like it be, but it do"
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Both (no preference)
    I like variety. I have some ultra-rich Sims, but I tend to prefer them to start out struggling. I made one Sim start out with no house and no money. That was surprisingly fun!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Terpsichore_Terpsichore_ Posts: 27 Member
    My sims are usually rich
    I always cheat in loads of money, otherwise they can't even afford to buy a computer, let alone a house or an apartment :/
  • thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    Rags to riches, baby (then I ditch them)
    I like to start from nothing, but get bored once they've saved up too many Simoleons, so I start over again.
    I wish there was more we could do with our funds, then I might play a single save for longer.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Rags to riches, baby (then I ditch them)
    bizuktag wrote: »
    Start poor, stay poor.

So how do you manage that? You cheat the money away or they just don't have any jobs? :D
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    edited March 2020
    Both (no preference)
    The reason I don't like the grind anymore is because in Sim City 2000 and 3000, I would start on the hardest difficulty level, something like 10,000 in debt. (Compared to the Sims currency, maybe 10,000,000?) May have to get another loan. It was a challenge. 20 years minimum to get out of debt. Could take up to 50 years though. After that 100 years to finally have a well built small city.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• gretchend417gretchend417 Posts: 41 Member
    My sims are usually rich
    I strongly strife to get my sim to level 10 in their career. Plus, on their free time, I have them got out and hunt for collectibles. Gotta keep up with those bills somehow.
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    I like the idea someone had about "retiring" the family when they make it and starting over. That's a cool idea. Also, I think that the game's idea of wealthy is way underwhelming. My sims are still struggling with their retail store making them enough money for them to eat yet the game still says that they're wealthy?
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Both (no preference)
    Some households are rich, some poor and some in between. I like this one household where no one is employed and their garden is a source of money.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Never really understood the need to cheat with money... As I said this game has 0% difficulty. Your first generation Sims will be rich enough to buy any lot in any world before they become elderly without cheating.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    Never really understood the need to cheat with money... As I said this game has 0% difficulty. Your first generation Sims will be rich enough to buy any lot in any world before they become elderly without cheating.

I agree. I personally think money is too easy to come by in the game. Neither of my adult sims have jobs. Willow just makes a 3k to 6k simolean flower arrangement and I'm set for my needs for awhile. If I'm ready to move, I simply have Ander tend the garden then Willow make the arrangements until they have the funds for the new lot. They also have a retail store that they work sometimes but it's a collector's shop so it struggles to turn a profit which is more realistic.
  • ROSEUMIEEROSEUMIEE Posts: 18 Member
    I like to earn the money because it makes the game fun and interesting. Always like going to the odd jobs. You never know who you meet or what will happen.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

I agree. I personally think money is too easy to come by in the game. Neither of my adult sims have jobs. Willow just makes a 3k to 6k simolean flower arrangement and I'm set for my needs for awhile. If I'm ready to move, I simply have Ander tend the garden then Willow make the arrangements until they have the funds for the new lot. They also have a retail store that they work sometimes but it's a collector's shop so it struggles to turn a profit which is more realistic.

I agree. Which is makes it both good, and a bit sad, that it wasn't until Discover University they listened to the feedback and put a liiiiitle bit of challenge into it (basically you actually have to do a bit of hard work to get a Servo, there is no "legal shortcut", like the Mermaid Kelp being in the reward store; and it IS possible to fail getting straight A's if you don't pay attention).
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    Ive just started to get back into the Sims and I started off just cheating my way to a small fortune. Ive since discovered that Rags to Riches is a much more fun way to go.
    My latest sim is going for as many aspirations as possible as well though and so is now raking in the cash through song and book royalties!
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    How about the option: Mid-class?
    I don't like to play with rich sims persé. I mean, it's not my target when i create a sim as it is not my target in life either. I like to play out their stories and that can be whatever: rich, poor, mid-class, rags to riches and whatever suits their storyline I have in mind for them.

Right now, I have 1 sim that does do pretty well. She wins 2000 simoleons per day, lives in the most expensive apartment in SM and her house has everything she needs. A home gym, walk in closet, king bedroom and home office. She works in the social media career, has always been very social and she just knew who to hang out with to become what she is today. That is what I intended for her, but she is still not crazy rich though. Just doing very very well and she only likes posh places and somewhat famous people :)

Then I have 3 other families that are mid-class or below, not really poor either. Its too easy to make money in The sims 4. One of my sims lives off his mothers heritage, but when that one runs out, he might experience a little trouble money wise. We will see.

Fair point I forgot about that one :) guess I was more thinking on average - and at least to me that one sim living in the most expensive CL apartment would be, on average, rich rather than poor. :D but I can see how some other sims don't fall into that category, so I guess you could vote both or nothing at all :)

Yes she should be considered rich. It actually happened faster than I intended for her, but that's due to no challenges in this game.
    The others are definitely mid-class. They sometimes struggle to pay bills though, but I guess that;s what mid-class means these days.
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    edited March 2020
    Both (no preference)
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    I was just curious how many of you play with poor vs. rich sims and why. I tend to love my sims most when they're struggling, but then I do want them to advance in their lives etc. It's just that once they're rich, and they've got everything they need at home, they also usually become kind of uninteresting to me :D So any tips as to what I can do to handle that are also welcome!

My sims start out with whatever amount of money they're left with after moving into a place. My current household has over $100,000 because one sim is an award-winning famous writer and her husband is a famous video game designer. <3

With the impending arrival of their third child both now work from home as Freelancers.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything