Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Advice to make Let's Plays interesting?

Title says it. I have a simmer YouTube, but I quit early on because I lost interest in the story I was doing (along with life in general being hectic; let's not talk about that) and I hate the sound of my voice. I thought I could get used it, but my voice sounds stupid as can be in recordings (apparently, your voice sounds deeper to you when you speak than it actually is; I read that somewhere). I also don't like Let's Plays. I've never been able to sit through gameplay videos without getting bored. If I think that of someone else's videos, no doubt people would think that of mine. I can talk for 30+ minutes (awkwardly...), but all I'd likely accomplish is curing someone's insomnia.
752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif

Comments

• RiveniaSimsRiveniaSims Posts: 54 Member
    Honestly, if you are having fun with what you're making, it will come across that way to viewers and then they will enjoy it as well! If you lose interest in something, it's better to discontinue it and move on to something you find more interesting than to force yourself to keep going on with it. As for hating your voice, we've definitely all been there. I don't record my voice on my Sims channel, but when I started my other let's play channel, I hated my voice so much I almost quit before I really began. It will be awkward at first, but the more you record and edit/listen to your voice, the easier it will get to hear yourself! Sometimes it's still weird to hear myself, but I don't hate my voice nearly as much as I did when I first began. I guarantee if you keep it up, you'll feel that way too! Don't worry about being "boring," just do what you like and let your commentary come naturally ^_^
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited February 2020
    Maybe don't do let's plays then but other content you might enjoy? How you feel about the game, features people might not know about, comparisons, background stories? But don't be discouraged by what you think your voice sounds like. Since you can't be the judge of that anyway (it'll always sound worse to you than it really is) there's no point in worrying about it. People will enjoy your content if you do, like @RiveniaSims said. So have fun with it and create whatever feels right to you. The rest will follow :)
  • Staralien7Staralien7 Posts: 34 Member
    KayeStar wrote: »
    Title says it. I have a simmer YouTube, but I quit early on because I lost interest in the story I was doing (along with life in general being hectic; let's not talk about that) and I hate the sound of my voice. I thought I could get used it, but my voice sounds stupid as can be in recordings (apparently, your voice sounds deeper to you when you speak than it actually is; I read that somewhere). I also don't like Let's Plays. I've never been able to sit through gameplay videos without getting bored. If I think that of someone else's videos, no doubt people would think that of mine. I can talk for 30+ minutes (awkwardly...), but all I'd likely accomplish is curing someone's insomnia.

I can relate because I don't like the sound of my voice and I tend to say uh far far too much when I am talking in a video. My husband says it is because I have no idea what I am going to say next, so that is why I do it. He is right. I don't know how to break the habit other than scripting everything, and that is kind of hard to do. I am not giving up though and I am starting to get used to the sound of my voice the more I do it. Don't you give up either! If making videos is important to you, then just do it. If Let's Play isn't what you want to do, try something else. I use music a lot of the time. I wish you lots of luck with your channel.