Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does The Sims 4 require a trait overhaul?

Comments

• neuroandproudneuroandproud Posts: 67 Member
    We need more traits where Sims would get jealous if a spouse cheated on them. Like making gameplay more realistic.
    Kaydin/KayKay
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    No, I like the way the traits are in The Sims 4.
    no the traits are fine as they are
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yes, I believe it’s finally time for a trait overhaul.
    Yes please. I get tired of majority of traits being tied to positive emotions only. They need more balance. I also want more trait slots too like five. It makes the Sims feel more rounded with five.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Traits should work as the names implies and not just add more. The AI system is not perfect and Imho needs more tweaking and that includes with any new pack that is added, before and after.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Clearly, yes.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2020
    Karon wrote: »
    @JoAnne65 I was thinking yesterday that maybe the problem with emotions is that there's a limited number of them. If we had more emotion types, we wouldn't be overwhelmed by the quantity of objects/interactions/etc that can change our sims emotions, since we would be seeing them more rarely. But, still, I think traits should be more powerful than emotions.
    @Karon Sorry, missed the notification.

No, it’s not the fact there are too little emotions that bothers me, it’s the fact that they’re triggered by objects instead of what other sims say or do or by what happens in their life or by their character. Mom can die, if the room’s pretty your sim will be happy. As for the amount of emotions, I think that’s fine actually. I only missed fear.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited March 2020
    Eh, I think it's a little too late at this point. The game has been out for nearly 6 years now.

As far as personality goes, I think they need to do something completely different with the next game. I like the point personality of The Sims 2 and I like traits in The Sims 3, but that doesn't really mean I think either should be recycled for The Sims 5. Each of those games built their personality systems to really mesh with everything their respective live modes had to offer, whereas it feels TS4 just blindly threw traits in and tried to make it work with emotions (spoiler alert: it doesn't).

The next Sims game has got to have better game design. A better personality system would follow suit.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    It needs it, but it has needed it since September 2014. I don’t believe it’s going to happen at this point.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    The BIG problem is that they made the very bad decision of assuming the natural state is Happy. That means if you leave a Sim alone with noting to do and no decorations around it will be Happy most of the time.
    Why they didn't chose "Fine" as the baseline emotion I don't know, but it expains things like the very quick mode switches between "OH so sad... Oh shiny!" (all happy again) that happens.

Anyway, this needs to be fixed FIRST, the game needs to be completely rebalanced so that the default emotion is "Light Grey", aka "Fine". But it also need more distinctive traits. Everything got more cutesy and less mean or extreme in Sims 4. Sims 4 is the most unoffensive game in the series, with no really risky stuff included at all. It is all basically happy green fluff.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • under_sun_and_skyunder_sun_and_sky Posts: 96 Member
    YES dear lord the sims in this game have no real personality whatsoever. lilsimsie pointed this out in a recent video, that sims 4 traits are generally either mood or skill based, whereas beforehand in the sims 3 there were a bunch of fun traits that made sims feel ACTUALLY different.
    tumblr_pg992c6rBP1r42s8uo1_400.gifv
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 642 Member
    One of my biggest complaints. Not only do Sims have far fewer traits than in TS3, but the traits given are just so shallow and fake.

I'm hoping that TS5 will basically be a clean slate they can start over with and finally fix the massive mess that was caused by TS4 being intended to be an online multiplayer game, and thus having a stripped-down engine little can be done with, but I'm highly doubting it.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited March 2020
    It doesnt need a trait overhaul, it needs a PERSONALITY system. A few traits does not a complete personality make. Especially when objects or actions nullify the emotions sims get from their natural traits

When I think trait overhaul, I do think of it as a systemic overhaul of the personality system. I suspect most here do.
    I have only recently added the Slice of Life and Meaningful stories mods to my game and I already like what I am seeing as they to be pushing my sims personalities forwards instead of burying them as EA has done with The Sims 4.

EA has gotten things backwards.
    Putting%20emotions%20before%20personality.jpg

Also, Instead of having a whim bubble dedicated to just emotions, they should dedicate them this way and this will bring out personality and goal oriented game play. Whims feel like the game suggesting things for the player to do instead of simulating what your sim is thinking.
    trait%20whims.jpg

I wanted Slice of Life mainly for the personality types and Meaningful Stories for how it managed moodlets and getting rid of happy as default and happiness from decor influences.
    TS4_x64%202020-03-12%2012-48-14-80.png

Now I hope I can have a game where sims live according to their traits and that their emotions are believable.
    TS4_x64%202020-03-12%2012-47-23-69.png

I liked that Melonie got this one because cooking is part of her personalty.
    It made sense for me to have her cook something while inspired.
    TS4_x64%202020-03-12%2012-48-05-28.png

Perhaps this is just a coincidence, but Melonie went to the mike on her own.
    She is going to be a comedian, so this just makes sense for her to do.
    03-12-20_10-34-05%C2%A0AM.png

Monique loves photography, and she's reading her photography skill book.
    But then again, there is no computer in the house, so this might not mean anything.
    03-12-20_10-31-12%C2%A0AM.png

I just got the mods, so I have no idea how enjoyable they are yet, but I am feeling good about them initially.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    edited March 2020
    Deleted
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    It doesnt need a trait overhaul, it needs a PERSONALITY system. A few traits does not a complete personality make. Especially when objects or actions nullify the emotions sims get from their natural traits

When I think trait overhaul, I do think of it as a systemic overhaul of the personality system. I suspect most here do.
    I have only recently added the Slice of Life and Meaningful stories mods to my game and I already like what I am seeing as they to be pushing my sims personalities forwards instead of burying them as EA has done with The Sims 4.

Also, Instead of having a whim bubble dedicated to just emotions, they should dedicate them this way and this will bring out personality and goal oriented game play. Whims feel like the game suggesting things for the player to do instead of simulating what your sim is thinking.
    trait%20whims.jpg

I wanted Slice of Life mainly for the personality types and Meaningful Stories for how it managed moodlets and getting rid of happy as default and happiness from decor influences.

Now I hope I can have a game where sims live according to their traits and that their emotions are believable.

But then again, there is no computer in the house, so this might not mean anything.

I just got the mods, so I have no idea how enjoyable they are yet, but I am feeling good about them initially.

I don't have slice of life but meaningful stories makes the emotions much more real. I specially like that instead of getting, for example, more inspired because a Sim just cooked something, sims get inspired by other meaningful acts/traits and spend inspiration cooking.
    edited March 2020
    telmarina wrote: »

trait%20whims.jpg

I don't have slice of life but meaningful stories makes the emotions much more real. I specially like that instead of getting, for example, more inspired because a Sim just cooked something, sims get inspired by other meaningful acts/traits and spend inspiration cooking.

Yes indeed. Meaningful Stories is the only other mod I have tried except MCCC and I am keeping it. It is, quite frankly, how the game should have worked.
    I still think however that the devs basically removed Personality (as it worked in Sims 2 and 3) and replaced it with Emotions. That was a mistake. Either keep both, or keep Personalities. Emotions is not a good enough replacement for Personalities, it is a part of Personalities. A Sims 2 personality system with Sims 4 Emotions added to (or even better Meaningful Stories version of them) would be a huge improvement over Sims 2 and 3.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited March 2020
    telmarina wrote: »

trait%20whims.jpg

Yes indeed. Meaningful Stories is the only other mod I have tried except MCCC and I am keeping it. It is, quite frankly, how the game should have worked.
    I still think however that the devs basically removed Personality (as it worked in Sims 2 and 3) and replaced it with Emotions. That was a mistake. Either keep both, or keep Personalities. Emotions is not a good enough replacement for Personalities, it is a part of Personalities. A Sims 2 personality system with Sims 4 Emotions added to (or even better Meaningful Stories version of them) would be a huge improvement over Sims 2 and 3.

Yes, i agree. Traits are like under emotions, and sims end up acting according to emotions instead of traits. That, for me, was the biggest mistake devs made with sims 4. For example, an active sim doesn't do any activity for a long time; another sim, but let's say, with the lazy trait, did too much chores in the last hours. They both get tense. They'll both act the same. There are very few emotions, so all traits, all sim's acts converge on those few emotions, making all sims feel similar.
    So, meaningfull stories is a great mod that helps, at least, to make emotions better, but the biggest problem is there to solve. And atm i don't believe it will be solved ever unfortunatelly...
  • xstxrrysequencexstxrrysequence Posts: 3,194 Member
    edited March 2020
    100%.

Traits are supposed to add personality to sims, and the ones in TS3 did an excellent job at doing that. If you ask me, the majority of the traits in TS4 don’t.

However, the game has been out for almost 6 years now, and it’s probably too late for such a major update to one of the core game features.
    image0.gif
    Do you like games that involve strategy? Do you like solving a mystery?
    Come try a Mafia Game!
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Good points everyone! Rather than simply agree with what has been said will illustrate with examples from yesterday of the need for balancing. Summer Holiday is a fun sim to play, and also very aggravating. She has the active trait, which the game translates to an obcession with working out, jogging, sit/push ups and the like. Normal activities, tending the house and what amounts to a small farm isn't good enough. It;s the gym rat routine or nothing. If there isn't enough of that she gets tense, cranky, and uncooperative until something is done to remedy the situation, which takes away from the other things to do. I have another sim with the loner trait. Oher than warning messages of 'stranger danger', I see little difference between that sim and others that don't have th trait. There are however many individual traits within the system that need balancing to more realistic levels of influence, in addition to the overall system work already mentioned so well.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    I originally posted this one elsewhere, but it works here.

This is what's wrong with The Sims 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WglifOsZgEQ&feature=emb_logo
    raw
  • BluelleBluelle Posts: 327 Member
    Traits mean nothing in TS4. All sims are the same. All sims act the same when they're tense, angry, happy, bored, embarrassed, etc. An evil sim will not act differently than a good sim when they're both angry. THERE ARE NO PERSONALITIES in TS4. NONE.
    edited March 2020
    Bluelle wrote: »
    Traits mean nothing in TS4. All sims are the same. All sims act the same when they're tense, angry, happy, bored, embarrassed, etc. An evil sim will not act differently than a good sim when they're both angry. THERE ARE NO PERSONALITIES in TS4. NONE.

Again, that's because they have none. They removed personalities and replaced them with emotions. Which was a horribly bad decision. Emotions cannot substitute personalities, but they would have greatly enriched an already existing personality system. If you combine the personalities from Sims 2 with the emotions of Sims 4? That would have been great.

Emotions as the only motivator only works for high scale simulations, like say simulating 20.000 people in Sim City. Giving each one a personality is undoable. But adding a number of triggers, "emotions" to say make them go to the restaurant, or go demonstrating outside City Hall? That works well. When you focus on a single individual? They get less personality than a goldfish unless you role play it yourself.
  • LeosimsLeosims Posts: 47 Member
    No, I like the way the traits are in The Sims 4.
    The Traits are Good right Now.
  • Gecko420Gecko420 Posts: 245 Member
    Absolutely!! One of the best things about the Sims 3 was their personalities and the traits included. Let alone the fact that we had 5 trait slots and not 3. Like come on really? The traits in the sims 3 were so diverse and unique to their packs. Even the base game had some amazing traits. I’ll take the traits from the sims 3 over the emotion system although I think they should find a way to include both
    t0j4i8.jpg
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    Still yes, it does.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.