Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm back after 3 years without simming

simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
Hi,

my game went corrupt 2017 and no way to fix it, and my disc was really too small for Sims 3. Got a new almost 2 Tb ssd disc and windows 10, I tried to install my base game but my dvd-player didn't even recognize having the disc. So after a couple of days searching for solutions, a few posts on EA support and got help from a fellow simmer @puzzlezaddict. I gave in and downloaded my games from Origin. Well, rather that than throwing all the money into the lake. Haha that sounded strange in english, it's a swedish expression, maybe not an english one.

I'm off to set up my game now. Maybe need some advice later on nraas mods I used to have, cause after 3 years I forgotten in which mod I can find them. Like "No pet adoption" and I had a really nice one that made the days slightly longer. By the way, anyone know if Sims 3 packs ever get on sale. I have avoided digital downloads to be able to stay on patch 1.67, too late, so I could buy Supernatural now.
Post edited by simIrrevirre on

Comments

• GardeningSimmerGardeningSimmer Posts: 41 Member
    Hi!
    Nice to meet you and it’s good you are able to play the game now!
    I just got Sims 3 for myself, with seasons, supernatural and ambitions! So I started playing as well! I hope you won’t have any more problems with the game!
  • simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    Hi there!

And thanks, nice to meet you too. Hope you like Sims 3. I love seasons. Are you new to the sims game or have you played other iterations?
    I'm just installing some things from the sims store. If I'm not mistaken there are 2 worlds, Monte Vista and Riverview, for free there if you are interested.
    I played Sims 2 and Sims 4! I do find The SIms 3 very overhelming compared though so I am learning a lot haha I actually have all the online features turned off.. I found they made my game lag a lot haha can you download things from the Sim Store without logged in on the game?
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I'm just here to welcome you back. I don't know much myself because I just brought sims 3 and all the packs. So I'm still looking around and learning information as I go. And looking for good mods also. I just googled the nsraa mods and it took me to a sight with all of them and that's where I downloaded mine.There is so much it's overwhelming at times.

Sad but funny story.I had the base game and pets many years ago but I was much younger with a bad laptop and didn't know anything about mods. So I've always loved the game but everytime I tried to play it would crash after a while. And now I have this memory that wont go away of me building for hours a beautiful mansion by the beach. Then afterwards running towards the beach with my dog for the first time and I felt like I was in some utopia heaven as I desperately watched them running towards the ocean. Then boom, it crashed and I was scarred for life 🤣🤣 gave it up until just a little while ago since I got myself a nice gaming pc.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    https://www.nraas.net/community/Mods-List
    All of Nraas's mods can be found here.I highly suggest, overwatch and error trap as a must.

My favprite mods:
    http://modthesims.info/d/535651/update-5-jul-2016-set-the-table-amp-call-to-meal.html
    Call to meal and set the table.Makes it more realistic and easier to have family meals together.

http://modthesims.info/d/491613
    Longer seasons mod allows for seasons to be 84 days.

http://modthesims.info/d/471164/add-any-lot-size-edited-01-16-2014.html
    Add any lot sizes is a must for me as I like to add a variety of lots.

http://modthesims.info/d/524468/the-sims-3-passion-and-romance/
    This one adds really cute animations, especially the romantic kiss and the intimate hug.

I played Sims 2 and Sims 4! I do find The SIms 3 very overhelming compared though so I am learning a lot haha I actually have all the online features turned off.. I found they made my game lag a lot haha can you download things from the Sim Store without logged in on the game?

Yes, after playing TS2 I also found it overwhelming in the beginning. But I love the open world. I felt free :D And I can keep track of all my sims.

I've also turned off all online features. Here is the store https://store.thesims3.com/.

Another thing if you think your game lag. There is a folder called FeaturedItems in C:\Users\your name\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 that clogs up with store pictures that just takes place. I've deleted everything there and made it read only.
    https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/12/tutorial-turning-off-ingame-store-and-preventing-loading-of-pictures.html
    I'm just here to welcome you back. I don't know much myself because I just brought sims 3 and all the packs. So I'm still looking around and learning information as I go. And looking for good mods also. I just googled the nsraa mods and it took me to a sight with all of them and that's where I downloaded mine.There is so much it's overwhelming at times.

Sad but funny story.I had the base game and pets many years ago but I was much younger with a bad laptop and didn't know anything about mods. So I've always loved the game but everytime I tried to play it would crash after a while. And now I have this memory that wont go away of me building for hours a beautiful mansion by the beach. Then afterwards running towards the beach with my dog for the first time and I felt like I was in some utopia heaven as I desperately watched them running towards the ocean. Then boom, it crashed and I was scarred for life 🤣🤣 gave it up until just a little while ago since I got myself a nice gaming pc.

Hello! Thank you!

Ouch, glad you have a good pc now! I'm preparing my game, then off to build a beautiful house by the sea :)

There are some mods you really need like overwatch and, and... omg, I've been away far too long ;)
    https://www.nraas.net/community/Mods-List
    All of Nraas's mods can be found here.I highly suggest, overwatch and error trap as a must.

My favprite mods:
    http://modthesims.info/d/535651/update-5-jul-2016-set-the-table-amp-call-to-meal.html
    Call to meal and set the table.Makes it more realistic and easier to have family meals together.

http://modthesims.info/d/491613
    Longer seasons mod allows for seasons to be 84 days.

http://modthesims.info/d/471164/add-any-lot-size-edited-01-16-2014.html
    Add any lot sizes is a must for me as I like to add a variety of lots.

http://modthesims.info/d/524468/the-sims-3-passion-and-romance/
    This one adds really cute animations, especially the romantic kiss and the intimate hug.

Hi and thank you!

Yes error trap was the other one I wanted to tell Babykittyjade about, but forgot. And the call to meal is a must too. Very nice mod, otherwise the always eat by themselves. Lot size is good too. I haven't tried the other ones but I will look them up.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited February 2020
    As @GraceyManor mentioned, NRaas ErrorTrap and Overwatch feel absolutely essential for many of us. The others that help protect your saves in various ways are Register (governs role sims), Traveler (replaces the broken travel transition), and Traffic (controls and prevents overspawning of vehicles). MasterController is also great for its ability to reset anything from a broken object to a whole world, in addition to all its other useful functions. Other mods like DebugEnabler, PortraitPanel, GoHere, and RelationshipPanel can help with certain issues, but they're not as critical to the overall health of your saves—you might never need the functions they enable.

Overwatch shuts down the very broken neighborhood pet adoption scenario by default. To prevent adoptions entirely (pets and humans are controlled by the same setting), you'd need StoryProgression. Register controls the number of strays in the game.

I think you're also looking for Relativity, which can alter the speed of the in-game clock globally or change the amount of time required for any given task. It can also tweak the rates that motives increase and decrease.

As for sales, Origin does offer expansions for 50% off every once in a while. Steam has more frequent sales, where the base game and all packs are usually $5 U.S. each. (Prices vary a bit more in Europe, or at least they did last I heard.). You'd need to buy a copy of the base game in Steam before buying a pack, but the cost might still be equivalent even if you only wanted the one pack. Plus, you could register your extra base game copy and get more SimPoints from the store.

I'm glad to hear that Origin is cooperating too.

Well, rather that than throwing all the money into the lake.
    We in the U.S. tend to say "seeing your money go down the drain" or the lovely "flushing your money down the toilet." Yours seems much more refined.
    As @GraceyManor mentioned, NRaas ErrorTrap and Overwatch feel absolutely essential for many of us. The others that help protect your saves in various ways are Register (governs role sims), Traveler (replaces the broken travel transition), and Traffic (controls and prevents overspawning of vehicles). MasterController is also great for its ability to reset anything from a broken object to a whole world, in addition to all its other useful functions. Other mods like DebugEnabler, PortraitPanel, GoHere, and RelationshipPanel can help with certain issues, but they're not as critical to the overall health of your saves—you might never need the functions they enable.

Overwatch shuts down the very broken neighborhood pet adoption scenario by default. To prevent adoptions entirely (pets and humans are controlled by the same setting), you'd need StoryProgression. Register controls the number of strays in the game.

I think you're also looking for Relativity, which can alter the speed of the in-game clock globally or change the amount of time required for any given task. It can also tweak the rates that motives increase and decrease.

As for sales, Origin does offer expansions for 50% off every once in a while. Steam has more frequent sales, where the base game and all packs are usually $5 U.S. each. (Prices vary a bit more in Europe, or at least they did last I heard.). You'd need to buy a copy of the base game in Steam before buying a pack, but the cost might still be equivalent even if you only wanted the one pack. Plus, you could register your extra base game copy and get more SimPoints from the store.

I'm glad to hear that Origin is cooperating too.

Well, rather that than throwing all the money into the lake.
    We in the U.S. tend to say "seeing your money go down the drain" or the lovely "flushing your money down the toilet." Yours seems much more refined.

Thanks for this "list" of mods! Relativity was the one I used. And also, thanks to your answers earlier today I'm really glad I decided to download the game :)

"seeing your money go down the drain" thats a good one. Google translate can't handle sayings.
    > @simIrrevirre said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Yes, after playing TS2 I also found it overwhelming in the beginning. But I love the open world. I felt free :D And I can keep track of all my sims.
    >
    > I've also turned off all online features. Here is the store https://store.thesims3.com/.
    >
    > Another thing if you think your game lag. There is a folder called FeaturedItems in C:\Users\your name\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 that clogs up with store pictures that just takes place. I've deleted everything there and made it read only.
    > https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/12/tutorial-turning-off-ingame-store-and-preventing-loading-of-pictures.html

I think my main problem is.. I don't really know what to do in the game haha which makes it much more overwhelming for me!
    Thank you for the link! I did actually turn off the store as well, so I don't get those adverts, it was just causing too much lag and downloading a lot of data! My game now runs at around 150 FPS in winter and 250 in summer, I turned on Nvidia V-Sync Fast which helped as before I had a lot of trouble with the game running at 500 FPS and jumping down to 100 FPS causing constant stutters!
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    @simIrrevirre Welcome back! And puzzlezaddict beat me to it, throwing money in the lake sounds much nicer then flushing it down the toilet. :)

@GardeningSimmer There is so much to do you’re spoiled for choice! How about growing a garden first as you seem to like that. Also, letting your FPS run over 60 will fry your graphics card! There are lots of posts in tech on how to clamp that down. Sorry, can’t link right now.
    [quote="ZeeGee;c-17414862"]@simIrrevirre Welcome back! And puzzlezaddict beat me to it, throwing money in the lake sounds much nicer then flushing it down the toilet. :)

@GardeningSimmer There is so much to do you’re spoiled for choice! How about growing a garden first as you seem to like that. Also, letting your FPS run over 60 will fry your graphics card! There are lots of posts in tech on how to clamp that down. Sorry, can’t link right now. [/quote]

Thank you for your reply! Haha yes I do like gardening in The Sims 4 and I already started a garden in The Sims 3! Oh don’t worry! I have a strong graphics card and it won’t get fried :) the temperatures aren’t even hitting 50C haha
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Welcome back :smile: I think that I remember you :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • JemliaJemlia Posts: 255 Member
    Welcome back! :) I have a great group of knowledgeable and friendly friends on the Sims 3 site from all over the world. If you need people for Simporting, many of us are available for that. I sent you a friend request there, feel free to accept or decline as you wish. And Happy Simming.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
    @GardeningSimmer welcome. The thing I do if I am wondering what to do and can't think of anything is I go to my badges and look to see what badges I haven't achieved yet and that usually gives me ideas. Badges can be found here:

https://mypage.thesims3.com/badges.html?screenName=

Just add your name after the =

eg: GardeningSimmer

Good luck and have fun.
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    Welcome back! If you find yourself overwhelmed, just focus on your sim and what they want or what you want them to accomplish. There is so much to do, there are many of us who *still* have a list of "things I haven't done yet." Relax and enjoy - and feel free to pop in and ask questions. :)
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Always nice to see people coming back to TS3 or playing for the first time. The forum is a little quieter these days but there are still many helpful simmers who are happy to answer any questions you may have. Happy Simming :)
    Woke up an hour ago, at 4 o'clock in the morning, with red eyes and headache. 4 hours sleep, I'm going to regret this later today :p. But I have so much to do, prepping the world, building and so on. lol

@GardeningSimmer I was going to say do some gardening but ZeeGee beat me to it. Then I was going to suggest befriend a unicorn, build a houseboat and meet Kraken, do some tomb raiding. No just kidding you don't have those packs :) Wow your fps! What program are you using to see this? When you play on Steam they have one for you to see the fps.

Thank you @ZeeGee for the welcome back! But flushing it down the toilet is more expressive

Hi there @king_of_simcity7. Yes I remember you too, we used to hang around on Sparkfairy1 massive "why-are-there-no-toddlers-in-sims4" tread, for 2 years!

@Jemlia Thanks for the welcome back and the invite. Maybe later, I haven't started playing yet. There will be a lot of prepping and buildning before I start playing.

@Surreal Thanks. Yes I know there's a lot to do. I will make a lot of family's, rotate to play them, have too many kids till the world is overpopulated and then I have to start over in a new world. Every time I start a new game I think I need to change my playstyle but it always ends up like this anyway :p I never had a genie, I will try that this time.

@Mikezumi Hi and thanks! I've been lurking these 3 years of absence and seen your lovely sims, especially your males ;)
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @simIrrevirre Thanks :)
    I see you might try a genie. If you do, be aware they are default, zero slider sims and don't get me started on their colour! :open_mouth:
    32110609498_73bfb99c2f_o.jpg

If you don't mind default sims, then ignore what I am about to say. Be ready to edit your genie in CAS or have a body-swap ready for him/her!
    45932325282_b9f7e34e26_o.jpg
    @Mikezumi It's kind of funny, I don't mind so much how my own sims look but I do admire those who can make diverse and good looking sims.

And the first genie is very blue! I would change his skintone too.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @simIrrevirre Unfortunately that thread has closed now as after toddlers where launched conversations have dried up but TS4 is no more popular now than it was then. Most people here are still playing TS3 :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    @Karritz Thank you! The badges will surely be helpful in finding things to do
    @simIrrevirre I am using the FPS counter in game by typing in FPS ON!
    edited February 2020
    @Karritz Thank you! The badges will surely be helpful in finding things to do
    @simIrrevirre I am using the FPS counter in game by typing in FPS ON!

Thanks I didn't know that. My fps lies around 400 in world view and 200 on lot. I will try do what you did, Nvidia V-Sync Fast.

I hate Origin, after editing a lot of houses in the world I'm going to try Origin goes down and I loose all the job I've done. I also hate Windows 10, that decides to turn off my sound when that happened, wow and why????

Wish EA could hire some guys that improve Sims 3 as there are still people running this 11 years old game :#

Do you have Geforce Experience? I had, unistalled it and only did this https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7586/26767660101_141c4c169b_o.png
    and my game run at 60 fps :)
    Post edited by simIrrevirre on
    @simIrrevirre
    Oh that’s the Nvidia Control Panel! You can access it without GeForce Experience too! I do know that option but V-Sync on caps the game at 75 or so for me (due to my monitor). I much prefer Fast as Fast is an improved version of V-Sync from what I know! So my game caps at around 150 and is much smoother!