Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Suggestions Please

I'm writing a story about the classic tale of two people from rival groups falling in love. It takes place in current times but will have a Warriors/The Outsiders feel to it with a little bit of the game Saints Row thrown in there for good measure. I'm also taking a lot of inspiration from the Demon Days album from My Chemical Romance and the Six of Crows book series as well. It's a little all over the place right now but its early in the writing process so i'm not to worried. What I need right now is some help with naming the two rival groups.

The first groups members are all named after animals. (Lion, Bunny, Chameleon, Mouse, Wolf, etc.). I have two names but really not sure about either of them.
1. Wild Ones- This is the place holder name i'm currently using. I like it but think it might be too generic?
2. Menagerie- I like this one but I don't think it fits the feel i'm going for. Also i'm pretty sure I got this name from Six of Crows and I want to stay away from names already used if possible.

The second group is all named after horror movie monsters/bad guys. (Scarecrow, Dracula, Krueger, Jason, etc.) I've only thought of one name for this one so far.
1. Cryptids- Cryptids are mythological creatures so I thought this might kinda fit... but just like with the menagerie I don't think this name quite fits the feel i'm going for. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I don't hate it, but i'm not set on it being the final name quite yet. Its just the place holder name i'm using right now.

So if anyone has any suggestions for names for the two groups I would very much appreciate them. Or if you like one of the names I already mentioned and want to make a case for it i'm all ears. Thanks in advanced for any help.
Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn

Comments

• Options
    WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,758 Member
    edited February 2020
    Hello. This sounds like a fun idea. I like the idea of both clans being named after animals/ monsters. Does each person have any animal/ monster/ supernatural abilities or are the names more a reflection of their personalities?

I rather like Cryptids, it gives off a horror vibe if that's what you're looking for? Wild Ones is also very fitting if that is the nature of the group.

What about the Nightmares for the horror themed group and the Vivari for the animal group? (from the word vivarium, another word for menagerie - I apologise if you already know this!)
    Or the Untamed/ Untamables and the Unnaturals?

I suppose what fits will largely depend on what tone you want your story to have.

Hope the writing goes well. 🙂
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Hello. This sounds like a fun idea. I like the idea of both clans being named after animals/ monsters. Does each person have any animal/ monster/ supernatural abilities or are the names more a reflection of their personalities?

I rather like Cryptids, it gives off a horror vibe if that's what you're looking for? Wild Ones is also very fitting if that is the nature of the group.

What about the Nightmares for the horror themed group and the Vivari for the animal group? (from the word vivarium, another word for menagerie - I apologise if you already know this!)
    Or the Untamed/ Untamables and the Unnaturals?

I suppose what fits will largely depend on what tone you want your story to have.

Hope the writing goes well. 🙂

Thanks for replying! The names are a reflection of their personalities. I do like the name Nightmares for the horror themed group a lot. I think it fits better than Cryptids. Also love the name Untameables for the animal group. I may have to use that one. Vivari is an interesting one and one i'd never heard before. I like this one as well but don't think it quite fits what i'm going for. Either way I love your suggestions. :)
  • Options
    Tipsymermaid9719Tipsymermaid9719 Posts: 16 Member
    For what it's worth, I like the Cryptids! I was searching the thesaurus for a while trying to come up with other possibilities but I didn't find anything that I liked better.
    Some ideas for the animal group: the free spirits, the naturalists, the wanderlites (the word wanderlust came to mind, idk it just reminds me something roaming wild and free)
  • Options
    CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member
    Check out https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/ if you haven't heard of it.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited February 2020
    For what it's worth, I like the Cryptids! I was searching the thesaurus for a while trying to come up with other possibilities but I didn't find anything that I liked better.
    Some ideas for the animal group: the free spirits, the naturalists, the wanderlites (the word wanderlust came to mind, idk it just reminds me something roaming wild and free)

Cryptids is still currently the name I am using for the place holder but I am strongly considering Nightmares as well. I like wanderlites. Using the word wanderlust never crossed my mind but it does fit the feel of the story i'm going for. Another strong contender.
    Check out https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/ if you haven't heard of it.

Thank you for the website. I will be checking it out for some more ideas as well. :)

Thanks again for the suggestions.