March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has anyone ever had sims they didn't purposely kill in the Sims 4 die?

I mean other than old age if you play with aging on.

I was looking through screen shots on this forum and noticed a few death scenes, and it seems like on youtube I see quite a few sims die (granted 99% of those are staged and the youtuber tries to play it off as a random occurrence). But I honestly dont think I've ever seen a single solitary sim die in the Sims 4 that I wasn't directly responsible for. I play with aging off because I'm a wimp :D

Now I'm not looking for the massive death waves I used to get in the Sims 3 were two or three weeks into a new playthrough half the town would suddenly die from drowning or catching fire and the death notifications would just start rolling in. But it would be nice if something happened somewhere in the Sims 4 world when I wasn't around. And yeah I know that's a common complaint, not trying to beat a dead horse here.

But I am curious, has anyone ever had another sim die (except from old age), and it wasn't on purpose? If so, does it happen a lot?

Thanks,

Comments

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    yes, far too often. Mostly from weather, or emotional deaths, but a couple times from fire or electrocution though. I always cheat them back haha. I never want them to die and I hate that it happens so much in bad weather. My Sim came from a big family (100 baby challenge) and 6 of her siblings died in one day (they were adults and moved out, but it was a winter day and it turned out they all died from the snow. I didn't cheat back that time cuz it was a challenge.) Another time my favourite Sim died from embarassment the moment she aged up from teen to young adult as she'd been having a mood swing as a teen and aged up on her own during it. The worst was probably the electrocution time though, because I was playing a single mum and since she was the only adult in the house I lost the full game and got the Game Over thing since you can't play a child only household. The child was my super Sim I'd been raising to get all traits and aspirations and skills since she was a toddler. I had recently uploaded the kid to the gallery fortunately, I couldn't get the mum back but I redownloaded the kid and created a new mum for her and pretended she'd been adopted to carry on lol!

In my none challenge saves I use cheats or mods so they don't die though
  • LuxuryLuxury Posts: 127 Member
    edited February 2020
    yep, a few days ago actually. My father of four died of Hysteria after boohooing woohooing with his wife then talking to his daughter. Had to reload my game because that wasn't what I planned on happening in my storyline.

It doesn't happen a lot in my game tbh
    Post edited by Luxury on
    Luxury wrote: »
    yep, a few days ago actually. My father of four died of Hysteria after boohooing with his wife then talking to his daughter. Had to reload my game because that wasn't what I planned on happening in my storyline.

It doesn't happen a lot in my game tbh

Took me way too long to realise that you didn't mean he was crying with his wife about something (boohooing) lol!
  • lacianalaciana Posts: 29 Member
    I had a Sim set himself on fire while cooking breakfast. That certainly makes the time I set the pot holders on fire seem mild by comparison.
  • GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    -Electrocution is only ever player-directed, so the only way to die from it not on purpose is if you literally don't know about the singed buff.
    -Fire, drowning and starvation are not exactly player-directed, but extremely unlikely to happen without player intervention since Sims will cancel other interactions and do everything in their power to not die from those things, so it requires the player to cancel their attempts to save themselves.
    -That leaves only the emotional deaths, those can happen even without the player's consent.

But I don't use auras and I modded environment buff away from my game, so... never.
    edited February 2020
    Grynn wrote: »
    -Electrocution is only ever player-directed, so the only way to die from it not on purpose is if you literally don't know about the singed buff.
    -Fire, drowning and starvation are not exactly player-directed, but extremely unlikely to happen without player intervention since Sims will cancel other interactions and do everything in their power to not die from those things, so it requires the player to cancel their attempts to save themselves.
    -That leaves only the emotional deaths, those can happen even without the player's consent.

But I don't use auras and I modded environment buff away from my game, so... never.

I had no idea about the singed buff until you just said about it, lol. My Sim died from it accidentally when trying to fix the stove after the gremlins got to it. The sink beside it was broken too and there was a puddle on the floor but I didnt know that it was even a death type until she died haha. Now I'm terrified of repairing stuff so I always just replace it lol.

I did have a Sim accidnetlay die of starvation too, after getting stuck on a lot with no food due to a fire. Wasn't our home lot and I couldn't find the fire and the Sim died before I could extinquish it lol. Forgot that time til just now. He was unable to travel cuz of the fire, and unable to eat without food.
    You didn't mention weather though. That's the main culprit in my game. Sims are always freezing or burning to death and it drives me crazy. They are my played sims but I'm not currently playing them, I'm in other households so I cna't stop it happening.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Yep, I've had a Sim drown from back floating while she was exhausted. Over half the inmates in one of my Asylum challenges located on the island lot in Mua Pel'am drowned from swimming while exhausted. One elder overexertion death from woo hoo. And last but not least, my first vampire starved to death while waiting to transition because I thought we weren't supposed to let them eat. Opps! I restarted from a previous save with that one.

Just recently I almost lost a Sim to the Hysterical emotion. I had sent him to calm down with a mirror three times prior when very playful before he finally tipped over to Hysterical. Thankfully I was able to get him to calm down in time, otherwise he might've left his new wife pregnant with their first child behind. It was in an I.S.B.I. challenge I'm playing so I wouldn't have been able to just not save. o.O

But anyway, that's it in the 5 years I've been playing TS4. I'd probably have more deaths from inexperienced cooks setting fires, but I don't let them cook anything, only make salads or eat harvestables until they have some cooking skill under their belt.

I let my elders woo hoo, but only in closets/bushes/saunas. They don't seem to die from woo hooing in there for some reason. And if I'm playing a save where I can't control all the Sims, they don't get a pool or live in Sulani. lol

Oh! I did have one more death in my game, a vampire burned to death outside the front door of my Apocalypse challenge Sims house. But that wasn't one of my Sims. It was his own fault for visiting in the day time. This was before vampires were given umbrellas.
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    Yep, I've had a Sim drown from back floating while she was exhausted. Over half the inmates in one of my Asylum challenges located on the island lot in Mua Pel'am drowned from swimming while exhausted. One elder overexertion death from woo hoo. And last but not least, my first vampire starved to death while waiting to transition because I thought we weren't supposed to let them eat. Opps! I restarted from a previous save with that one.

Just recently I almost lost a Sim to the Hysterical emotion. I had sent him to calm down with a mirror three times prior when very playful before he finally tipped over to Hysterical. Thankfully I was able to get him to calm down in time, otherwise he might've left his new wife pregnant with their first child behind. It was in an I.S.B.I. challenge I'm playing so I wouldn't have been able to just not save. o.O

But anyway, that's it in the 5 years I've been playing TS4. I'd probably have more deaths from inexperienced cooks setting fires, but I don't let them cook anything, only make salads or eat harvestables until they have some cooking skill under their belt.

I let my elders woo hoo, but only in closets/bushes/saunas. They don't seem to die from woo hooing in there for some reason. And if I'm playing a save where I can't control all the Sims, they don't get a pool or live in Sulani. lol

Oh! I did have one more death in my game, a vampire burned to death outside the front door of my Apocalypse challenge Sims house. But that wasn't one of my Sims. It was his own fault for visiting in the day time. This was before vampires were given umbrellas.

I have seen elders die from bush woohoo so careful with that one haha
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited February 2020
    Yes, but not recently.
    When I started playing Sims 4 my Sims kept dying of fire when they were cooking. Then I learned that I shouldn't make them cook (other than garden salad) when they have a bad moodlet, if they are tense, sad, embarrassed or angry. Then I also learned about the sprinkler. I haven't had any Sims die of fire ever since.
    I've also had Sims die of embarrassement, but that also happened a long time ago. Now I know what to do to prevent it.

Of course Sims that aren't in my household have died and will die because I can't control them. They die mostly because of the weather effects or set themselves on fire while using grills.
    Post edited by Kimmer on
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    In my main save, which I've been playing since Get Together was released (so just over four years now), I've had very few true natural deaths. I play with ageing off so I typically decide when it's time for an elder to die off, but otherwise I'll get creative if I'm killing off younger Sims.

Only in a handful of cases have I witnessed Sims die without my direct control over it. Even then, it's usually NPCs and not my own.

- One time, I had a repairman come over to my Sim's apartment to fix something. He was dazed and got electrocuted, then died on the spot. This almost happened two more times afterward.

- Another time, I had my Sim hanging out with Lia Hauata at her house. He was staying the night and ended up going to bed eventually. Lia, although visibly extremely exhausted, kept getting into her pool and napping on a floaty. Every time she would wake from her nap, she would swim for a bit and then get back on the floaty and fall back to sleep. One point when she did this, she was so exhausted that she couldn't swim anymore and then drowned. I restarted the game, since I had a storyline picked out for the two of them together and didn't want this possibly redirected one.

- Then just recently, my Sim was visiting her local park earning votes. It was the middle of summer during a major heat wave and there was a large crowd gathered for a speech she was giving. A Sim collapsed from heat exhaustion and while the crowd redirected their attention to her death, another one collapsed. I reset the Sims and left the lot so no one else could die from distraction, thus overheating.

I've almost had Sims die from freezing, and long ago when the game first came out the only deaths I'd ever get would be emotional ones. Those annoy me so I installed a mod to disable them.
  • OriginalNameOriginalName Posts: 347 Member
    Wow, looks like I play way too safe then. When Sims 4 was new I had one sim burn down half the kitchen and did not have the money to replace items. I've been paranoid ever since and almost never let my sims make anything but garden salads until they have several levels of cooking. And a lot of them have at least one fruit producing plant and carry around a pocket full of fruit so they don't get hungry :D

I did know about the dazed buff, that's sort of a carry over from Sims 3, so I play close attention to that. I did completely forget that emotional deaths are a thing though. I always keep their needs pretty high, guess I've been lucky in that regard then.

Other than that, it looks as though my sims don't get out enough to see random sims on other lots run into problems. I tend to play very small families, usually 1 to 3 sims, occasionally 4 max. And I don't have several of the DLC that add other types of deaths: weather, puffer fish, vampires in sunlight, etc.

Guess I need to mix things up a bit :D I mean I don't want my sims to die (and would possibly reload depending on which ones did), but it would be nice if there was at least a slight risk of that. Most random townies dying wouldn't bother me though, but there are a few that my sims have befriended.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I have seen elders die from bush woohoo so careful with that one haha

o.O Okay, well sorry my dear elders as of right now, any poo hoo bush woo hoo is forbidden! lol I'll have them stick to the closet from now on. Thanks for the tip! :)
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    Yup. Usually sims I'm not controlling at the time (freezing to death and vampires burning up in the sun are the most common causes there, plus some occasional drownings, and once a sim from a different household I was playing on rotation died of pufferfish poisoning while my active sim was out to dinner lol). As for the ones in the household I'm actively playing, that is much more rare, but it's happened a few times. I think the wishing well was involved once or twice, and at least one of them died of laughter. That one was pretty common before I installed the "happy buffs from nice decor changed to fine" mod. There were so many happy buffs from nice furniture and stuff that one good joke would make them immediately hysterical lol.
  • FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    Luckily no :lol: I love my sims too much, them dying randomly would break my heart
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    edited February 2020
    All the time, usually unplayed vamps burning to death but drowning's also somewhat common. Exertion used to be a problem but, AI cheats to the rescue!

I usually just cheat them back to life. I mean, I'm basically my sims' God, right? No no kids, your mom absolutely didn't just laugh herself to death, here she is! All just a bad dream, lemme take care of these bad moodlets for you~
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I've had one Sim die and thats from the game running all night thought it was paused. I have no idea how she died but the rest of the family including the toddler were perfectly fine.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    I was once invited to a party. So I arrive and notice that everyone are waving at themselves
    It was too hot in there. A few hours later and literally everyone started dying. I'm not joking!
    Thankfully, I had abundance of death flowers with me, so I've managed to save 15 sims out of 18. But it's still
    surreal to see people dropping like flies all around you.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,474 Member
    Yes, of course. Mainly due to laughter. 😔 Or electrocution.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I've never had an accidental death on my sims in TS4. Once an unplayed sim froze, so that's the closest I get. Often when there's a fire I do absolutely nothing and see how they manage. Usually they get away from it but even if they don't the death is hardly a surprise. I wish I got some more accidental deaths.
  • MisedejemMisedejem Posts: 2 New Member
    I think I had a Sim die in my main save because of a club gathering. I was holding a weekend-long concert in a park and this club of children hang out at parks, so they showed up on the first day and then refused to leave. I sent a Sim on stage to perform and I noticed he had the moodlet from a dead friend, only to turn around and see all my other Sims sobbing around the pool. The kids just kept playing instead of sleeping, so one of them drowned. Needless to say, I think my concert failed.

She’s the only Sim of mine who has ever died in that save. It’s just too much of a story to reset for. The only other one was a death by embarrassment - the drowned Sim’s aunt actually - but I definitely didn’t want her gone so I reset. Though my brother has lost a few accidentally - one by drowning again, and then there was the butler who starved herself. And there's also an ongoing thing where the Powerhouses keep showing up to exercise at his Sim’s penthouse, where the elevator is on an outside runway, while she’s at work. In the winter, two of them froze because she wasn’t home to invite them in.
  • jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Nope, never. Not since The Sims 3 at least. Either I'm too careful or Sims are just hard to kill nowadays. When I played The Sims 2 my sims died almost always in a fire, via electrocution etc. Those were the times :disappointed:
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
  • sarabeth2984sarabeth2984 Posts: 849 Member
    Mine die all the time. Usually fire, robotics table, lightning, drowning, and lately the murphy bed. The saddest would have to be Simeon Silversweater from my last save. He just got a makeover. Met a lady and they woohooed. Two 1/2 days later, she asks him to be her boyfriend, he says yes. The next day, she popped into her 3rd trimester. She told him the good news. He got excited. She went into labor. I went ahead and had him propose, they exchanged vows, and became best friends. At that point she was finishing her labor and delivering the baby, when I lost track of him. I suddenly heard the death music warning. He was already very happy and became hysterical when he decided to take a bubble bath. He finished up and got out of the tub. Then keeled over and died just as his son was born. It was so depressing.
    I used MCC to bring him back
  • Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    I had one die of embarassment because of a rejection to a marriage proposal , and 3 vampires die of daylight because I wan't paying enough attention.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I've had sims die from hysterics far too often, it's too easy for them too. I have lost a few sims to burning in the sun when they were too young of a vampire and electrocution. I try to play with aging off, unless I am doing a challenge that the rules say no aging off, because I hate when sims die, even ones that are not my own.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    The closest I've gotten to this was that I have a family that was really neglecting to give attention to the dog. I know they can be needy but I felt bad for this one. They were all way too busy with their own lives.

One day the dog choked on trash and died. He was an elder but not for that long. It really didn't feel like a typical old age death. I didn't let them get another pet for a while. Now, some friend has given them a cat so we'll see how that goes. I didn't let them turn around and just adopt another. Most pets are happier than that one was.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.