Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you like to have more trait slots for your Sim?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I'ld like to have more slots but traits need to matter. Otherwise it won't mean nothing in the game.
  • Options
    WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    edited February 2020
    Yes, I’d prefer if we are able to have more traits on a single Sim.
    I felt Sims 3 was great as far as how many traits are allowed for each life state and wouldn't mind that system returning for 4, but I agree with everyone saying that such a change wouldn't amount to much given how uninspired the traits are in 4.

One example I always used of a good trait was hothead because of all the little things that hothead sims get angry over which makes them feel distinct from other sims, an example being them getting angry instead of happy with the first snow of the year. Now, I don't know if I imagined that response from my sims (entirely possible, my imagination has a tendency of getting ahead of me, lol), if it was from a mod or if this was simply changed, but I've recently noticed that hothead sims become happy with the first snow of the year, just like every other sim. I know it's silly to be so affected by a mere game but I am not exaggerating when I say I was crestfallen. It felt like a slap in the face, like one of the few genuinely good, fun, unique things in this game was yet again dumbed down for no apparent reason. This is just one less reason for me to care about the hothead trait, or any other trait for that matter.

We DESPERATELY need a trait overhaul. I've been looking more into Sims 2 and the differences in how sims with different personality traits acted and reacted. They had real personalities and, dare I say, EMOTIONS, and those little differences went a LONG way towards differentiating each sim in a meaningful way. Things like shy sims getting upset at having to make first contact with another sim, or neat sims actually being excited and happy at the prospect of cleaning a dirty toilet. For all the talk of "emotions" and smarter sims, we have nothing to show for that in Sims 4.

I'd say emotions are actually part of the problem. It isn't that I want them gone, but they take too much priority in determining how a sim behaves. In real life, two people may express anger or joy in radically different ways. A truly "good" person wouldn't dare kick their neighbor's trash can over when angry because they don't want to burden that person or pollute the environment, while a really "mean" person may be more inclined to playfully (or maliciously) provoke someone when happy than have a pleasant conversation with them. Emotions should work with traits to define the sim, not override them. If anything, traits should take priority over emotions as they are supposed to represent the sim on a deeper level from the emotions that ALL sims experiences.

I guess this was all just a long-winded way to say, yes, I want more trait slots, but I'd prefer if we had improved traits first.
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Can't vote as there's not an option that fits me.

I only want more if they change the code to give personalities more strength than they do now. Right now emotions just overpower personality traits and there isn't much difference between Sims - even those with opposite traits. Otherwise there's no point in giving more slots.

3 is the same as 5 slots if the emotions are just going to be in control of behavior.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Yes, I’d prefer if we are able to have more traits on a single Sim.
    I'd like 5 traits. I'd be ok with adding traits through behavior.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.