Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Time to jump ship? Sims 5 will be suffering from online disease

Comments

• bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    edited February 2020
    thecatsred wrote: »
    Is this official or just speculation? Unless the devs confirm it, I don't buy it. :v

It's speculation. Nothing has been actually confirmed - the idea was just floated by EA's CEO.

The only thing the big wigs at EA know how to do is buy up smaller studios, overwork all their devs, forced them to pump out badly made, rushed games with no heart, and then close the studio and collect on the losses and pay themselves for their hard work.

Exactly. It is a noticeable quality drop when a studio has been bought mid-franchise (like Bioware or Maxis).
    A bit off topic and not trying to defend EA or anything (I'd be the last person to do it), but Bioware's downfall was almost entirely Bioware's fault. You should inform yourself by reading Jason Schreier's LONG articles (here and here) about the development of Mass Effect Andromeda and Anthem. EA gave Bioware more than 5 years to make those games, Bioware screwed around for most of those 5 years with no clear direction of how the games should be. It was their irresponsible behavior, crazy expectations and ambitions with limited resources that made them fail. I'm surprised EA still didn't close Bioware to be honest. This is the 3rd time the producers and directors of this studio do this (it started with Dragon Age Inquisition, but the flaws were less noticeable). So yeah, EA is not always to blame for bad games. Dragon Age 2's flaws was EA's fault (they only gave Bioware 1 year to make the game). Inquisition, Andromeda and Anthem were not. The Mass Effect trilogy ending was also not their fault, it was Casey Hudson's.

izecson wrote: »
    There is a good chance that our feedbacks regarding this supposed Sims 5 Online fall in deaf ears and jist go ahead developing Sims 5 online feature and then they will wondering why The Sims 5 Online is failed to meet their expectation and sales number.

Well they genuinely seemed surprised at what happened with Sim City and Anthem.

Also, fun fact: making a game like Anthem was entirely Bioware's decision. EA never pushed Bioware to make a game like that. Anthem also failed because Bioware kept refusing to look at the competition (Destiny) to learn what makes a game like that good. Anthem did not fail because it was an online game.

This is all off topic but I'm a bit tired of seeing people trying to defend Bioware when they should be held accountable for all the bad decisions they made. They were the ones pushing the developers to near breaking point because they couldn't make up their minds of how they wanted their games to be like and wasted years of production. The last good producers/directors/etc. all left and now that studio is filled with bad apples (the ones in charge, that is).

Also, I think people are overreacting big time with these "news". A game can have multiplayer and still have a good single player mode. Look at Stardew Valley, the creator introduced multiplayer and people loved being able to visit friends' farms. I personally won't use a feature like that, and I would prefer if it wasn't included, but that doesn't mean it will automatically ruin the game.. TS4 was a mess from the start, it was first created 10 years ago, game technology improves every year, we have no idea how a future sims game, with multiplayer or not, would look like. I am skeptical, but at the same time I'm optimistic that they will learn something from TS4 mistakes. If they don't, then that's because TS4 was popular enough for them and people bought all of the packs like good little sheep, so that's not entirely their fault is it? People like to complain about TS4 a lot, but they still support it by buying all of the packs, so they are part of the problem too. TS4 also has a lot of casuals and new fans to the franchise. Most on here will complain but will still buy TS5 anyway, regardless if it has multiplayer or not, so...
    Post edited by bythedreadwolf on
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Yeah I am out too. I am not playing this game online. Clearly, they have not learned the lesson of trying to put Sims 4 online. Even if they back out of it, we could be in the same situation we were in with Sims 4 with no toddlers, no pools etc. I am not willing to be patient again while they revamp an online game back to single player.
  • heyrobertoheyroberto Posts: 47 Member
    I mean that's not a bad idea for me. Actually the "online features" sounds pretty interesting. Ik not everyone's interested on that type of gameplay but let's see!
    5zUb897.jpg

• keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Having played sims online and not having much faith in the team being able to produce a good product, I can't get on the "let's wait and see" band wagon.
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,372 Member
    jcp011c2 wrote: »
    Yeah, I"m out too if it's like that.

Yeah, me too. I don't know why we go through this every time they get ready to release a new Sims game.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    To say Sims microtransactions would only be cosmetic is such a load of plum because the entire game is about cosmetics.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • AyeffenAyeffen Posts: 258 Member
    I wonder whether offline players like yourselves constitute a vocal minority in gaming. I'm not saying adding some kind of multiplayer elements would be a good thing, but what's wrong with giving people the option to collaborate with their friends?

We already share all kinds of content with each other, but what if you had the option to have your Sims visit a friend's game? And vice versa?

And if any kind of restructuring of DLC happens, being able to purchase small bundles of content rather than whole packs sometimes might be the preference of the gamer because I may want a set of building items from a pack I have no interest in using the game mechanics of.
    Well.
    Sims 4 will be my last Sims game.

Nothing good has come from multiplayer in games that don't lend itself to multiplayer.
    Anyone remember Sim City (the "new" one)? Or the Dungeon Keeper mobile game?

I don't understand this at all? I play SimCity (the new one) offline completely. Just because a feature is there doesn't mean you have to use it.
    1NraNSJ.png
    My Gallery 🏠 | Gamer 🎮 | Husband 👬
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited February 2020
    Ayeffen wrote: »
    I wonder whether offline players like yourselves constitute a vocal minority in gaming. I'm not saying adding some kind of multiplayer elements would be a good thing, but what's wrong with giving people the option to collaborate with their friends?

We already share all kinds of content with each other, but what if you had the option to have your Sims visit a friend's game? And vice versa?

And if any kind of restructuring of DLC happens, being able to purchase small bundles of content rather than whole packs sometimes might be the preference of the gamer because I may want a set of building items from a pack I have no interest in using the game mechanics of.
    Well.

Nothing good has come from multiplayer in games that don't lend itself to multiplayer.

I don't understand this at all? I play SimCity (the new one) offline completely. Just because a feature is there doesn't mean you have to use it.

The game was 100% mandatory online at release. EA even claimed that it was impossible to play offline, the code was impossible to make work offline.

Add to that that the game was completely broken, the RCI was irrelevant, for example.

Needless to say it was an enormous flop and a huge scandal. Especially when hackers cracked the game and proved it could be played perfectly fine offline...
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I think EA is sore that single-player experiences still exist and are wanted so it wants to kill off the Sims Single Player.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • AyeffenAyeffen Posts: 258 Member
    The game was 100% mandatory online at release. EA even claimed that it was impossible to play offline, the code was impossible to make work offline.

Add to that that the game was completely broken, the RCI was irrelevant, for example.

Needless to say it was an enormous flop and a huge scandal. Especially when hackers cracked the game and proved it could be played perfectly fine offline...

Apologies, you're absolutely right of course. It's so long ago now I'd kindly forgotten about EA's epic fail. 😂

1NraNSJ.png
    My Gallery 🏠 | Gamer 🎮 | Husband 👬
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    I'm out if it's online. I like people but they do my head in. So if the Sims 5 goes multiplayer (speculation or not) I'm just going to go out in the real world in my spare time and have disabilities, drama, fighting and a lack of the inclusivity that I enjoy in the Sims2,3,4. It's gonna be a lot cheaper but I'll be able to do a whole lot less.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

Well.

Have you played SimCity 4? I’m asking because if you had, you should immediately recognize that SimCity 2013 has a lot less going for it. Smaller maps, fewer features, poor simulation, nonexistent user customization (for maps, terrain, etc). Yes it had an online mode, and that meant the game could not accommodate all of the features people wanted from it, even in the offline state.

So the issue is a Sims game has to be cut back to work well over the Internet. Those cut backs aren’t limited to online since any single player mode would be built on the same technology. Look at 4, they cut a whole lot out to accommodate the Internet and then we were left with bad tech that can’t do much even though it’s now an offline game. The extent of this would only be worse if they were still building the game for Internet only play.
  • AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    The Sims 4 is my new obsession and I will continue playing it until the orderlies pry the mouse out of my hand.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    If I wanted to play multiplayer games, I'd have a lot more games to play. I really suspect part of the reason why Sims 4 sims are so shallow is that they were initially placeholders for real people, so it just didn't matter.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    If I wanted to play multiplayer games, I'd have a lot more games to play. I really suspect part of the reason why Sims 4 sims are so shallow is that they were initially placeholders for real people, so it just didn't matter.

Yep and that was just a bad design choice. Even when they were making an online MP game they could have made an outstanding AI system.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2020
    thecatsred wrote: »
    Is this official or just speculation? Unless the devs confirm it, I don't buy it. :v

It's speculation. Nothing has been actually confirmed - the idea was just floated by EA's CEO.

The only thing the big wigs at EA know how to do is buy up smaller studios, overwork all their devs, forced them to pump out badly made, rushed games with no heart, and then close the studio and collect on the losses and pay themselves for their hard work.

Exactly. It is a noticeable quality drop when a studio has been bought mid-franchise (like Bioware or Maxis).
    A bit off topic and not trying to defend EA or anything (I'd be the last person to do it), but Bioware's downfall was almost entirely Bioware's fault. You should inform yourself by reading Jason Schreier's LONG articles (here and here) about the development of Mass Effect Andromeda and Anthem. EA gave Bioware more than 5 years to make those games, Bioware screwed around for most of those 5 years with no clear direction of how the games should be. It was their irresponsible behavior, crazy expectations and ambitions with limited resources that made them fail. I'm surprised EA still didn't close Bioware to be honest. This is the 3rd time the producers and directors of this studio do this (it started with Dragon Age Inquisition, but the flaws were less noticeable). So yeah, EA is not always to blame for bad games. Dragon Age 2's flaws was EA's fault (they only gave Bioware 1 year to make the game). Inquisition, Andromeda and Anthem were not. The Mass Effect trilogy ending was also not their fault, it was Casey Hudson's.

izecson wrote: »
    There is a good chance that our feedbacks regarding this supposed Sims 5 Online fall in deaf ears and jist go ahead developing Sims 5 online feature and then they will wondering why The Sims 5 Online is failed to meet their expectation and sales number.

Well they genuinely seemed surprised at what happened with Sim City and Anthem.

Also, fun fact: making a game like Anthem was entirely Bioware's decision. EA never pushed Bioware to make a game like that. Anthem also failed because Bioware kept refusing to look at the competition (Destiny) to learn what makes a game like that good. Anthem did not fail because it was an online game.

This is all off topic but I'm a bit tired of seeing people trying to defend Bioware when they should be held accountable for all the bad decisions they made. They were the ones pushing the developers to near breaking point because they couldn't make up their minds of how they wanted their games to be like and wasted years of production. The last good producers/directors/etc. all left and now that studio is filled with bad apples (the ones in charge, that is).

Also, I think people are overreacting big time with these "news". A game can have multiplayer and still have a good single player mode. Look at Stardew Valley, the creator introduced multiplayer and people loved being able to visit friends' farms. I personally won't use a feature like that, and I would prefer if it wasn't included, but that doesn't mean it will automatically ruin the game.. TS4 was a mess from the start, it was first created 10 years ago, game technology improves every year, we have no idea how a future sims game, with multiplayer or not, would look like. I am skeptical, but at the same time I'm optimistic that they will learn something from TS4 mistakes. If they don't, then that's because TS4 was popular enough for them and people bought all of the packs like good little sheep, so that's not entirely their fault is it? People like to complain about TS4 a lot, but they still support it by buying all of the packs, so they are part of the problem too. TS4 also has a lot of casuals and new fans to the franchise. Most on here will complain but will still buy TS5 anyway, regardless if it has multiplayer or not, so...

I agree with most of everything you said here. Except the part about a single player game like The Sims can also have a multiplayer side. I doubt it. Take a real hard look at TS4 then try to claim that. TS4 suffers from being a mulitplayer game salvaged from the trash. It's engine and design don't allow for things neatly packaged like terrain tools, automobiles, and expanded, deeper personalities like in 2 and 3, and or can't go without slot popping etc. If anyone thinks Maxis can build a very, very good single player and Multiplayer together they really haven't been looking at TS4 at all. Lessons learned? I think no, or they wouldn't want to revisit TSO experiment. Stardew multiplayer parts, visiting another's farm... TS3's Simport proves they can't do it right and haven't learned anything. I mean it was years later after TSO and still subpar 'visting'. Couldn't even save or quit, and The Sims was never meant to be a reward system for the player, but about the Sims, not us.

If anyone thinks it will be great take a look at The Sims mobile, The Sims Freeplay, and The Sims Social. What did they learn after TSO? Nothing, only how to manipulate for more money. But you are right EA is the strawman, they really shouldn't be blamed for everything.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited February 2020
    Also I think one thing that people forget that if Sims goes the multiplayer route, that will be the end of modding. They're not gonna support modding when they intend to drown us in micro transactions.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,372 Member

Well.

Because we don't like it. Simcity was killed by the online feature. The game is dead now. EA has this idea that online is good for every game, and that's just not so. I don't object if they want to have an online standalone, like they did years ago. But for not for the regular game.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited February 2020
  • ceyricceyric Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited February 2020
    Lol, I just found out about this (the sims 5.) I remember when TS4 was being developed, they had plans to make it an online game but scrapped it which is why it launched so unfinished.
    keep on keepin' on
  • BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    I'm not surprised they are trying to push towards this direction again. And if they do end up going online and making the Sims a multi-player experience and all that, I'm out.

4 will continue to be modded and have CC created for it, and continue to have fixes made. It will keep me happy in the wake of a Sims 5 online fiasco. :)
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I would not want to see other people's sims or visit with them, but I wouldn't mind an online feature that's just an expansion of the penpal thing where we could send friends messages that show up in their Sims mailboxes or gifts like books or harvestables etc.
  • BimleSimBimleSim Posts: 2,979 Member
    I would not want to see other people's sims or visit with them, but I wouldn't mind an online feature that's just an expansion of the penpal thing where we could send friends messages that show up in their Sims mailboxes or gifts like books or harvestables etc.

That's actually a really really cute idea for online play. And it wouldn't meddle with the single player experience. I wish they would make it like this, but unfortunately I don't see it happening.
  • GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    Ok guys, hear me out.
    Because of The Sims Online, when we hear "online multiplayer" we instantly think of MMO-style multiplayer, and god, that's a HARD pass for me.

I ABSOLUTELY don't want:
    -Complete strangers coming anywhere near my game, which is basically a SAFE SPACE for me and MMO-style would ruin it.
    -Not being able to customize my game, that means not just custom worlds, color wheel, etc. but also not having the ability to use mods.

BUT

I'd love LOCAL Multiplayer with a select few friends.
    -Nothing would have to be cut off from the game since it would still be basically the same gameplay as single player except there would be more player-controlled characters.
    -No forced avatars, I want the ability to change active family on the spot so I could create city-wide stories with my friends.
    -Worlds would be instanced, each group of players would be playing a different instanced world that means it could be completely customizable, or even have a CAW tool.
    -Game mods would be completely fine, as long as the players involved have the same mods installed they can play together, or in the case of cosmetics the mods that a player don't have just appear as a generic placeholder.

What I want is basically to play THE SIMS but with friends.
    And that's the thing, people want to play The Sims multiplayer, but what happens is that in the process of turning the game into a MMO so many things have to be left out that in the end it becomes a completely different game, it's no longer the simulation game that people love but merely a glorified chat room.
  • doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    To say Sims microtransactions would only be cosmetic is such a load of plum because the entire game is about cosmetics.

I agree it’s not like COD where you can get a cool gun paint job if you want but it’s perfect playable without I mean yes we all buy SP’s GP’s And EP’S but that’s different it’s usually based around a premise or the am would you really want to pay 99p for a new her type 5 for a MW shirt 10 for a new bed ect I don’t, and we do need a lot of these things in the base game and expansion packs ect.
    If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.