Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This is what Sims 4 is lacking

Comments

• ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    edited February 2020
    Watching videos like this makes me really wish I could have played TS2 :/
  • Christabelle73Christabelle73 Posts: 124 Member
    That's just the play mode differences...how about the build mode...sigh
  • roaringlizardroaringlizard Posts: 6 New Member
    I would like it if Sims could play music together (and we need additional instruments...including instruments from around the world)
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    no i do not find that the sims4 is lacking the sims4 is much better than the pass sims games
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    I agree! Sims 2 is the best.
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    The little things were really what got me hooked on TS2 after I bought it a couple months back. I really don't see why these animations can't be added to TS4. Stuff doesn't just pop out of nowhere. Digging in a cabinet to get pots, pans and utensils, for example, just make the game seem so lively.

TS4 has a lot of neat features. However, the problem is that what it doesn't have that older games do. Especially when my TS2 mod folder has nothing; my TS3 mod folder a few little things; but my TS4 mod folder; well overflowing; to the point I'm cutting back on stuff to get load times back to normal--i.e clothing and makeup items I seldom ever use that came in the mod folder bundled with Sims downloaded from the web
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I don't even have to watch this video to know which version is my favorite and why. There are just so many little details missing from Sims 4 now that make me happy I can still go back and play Sims 2. Fighting, jealousy, attraction, memories, chemistry, etc. I can go on for days but I will keep it short.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited February 2020
    I have never played TS2. I have seen this video earlier today and it has made me really sad. I love TS4. Don't get me wrong. I wish we had more of those group family activities in TS4 as well.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    no i do not find that the sims4 is lacking the sims4 is much better than the pass sims games

I don't find it lacking either, i don't really like the early versions now that I've played Sims 4 haha, I get bored of them so quickly... BUT I do think animations themselves were done better in 2. I miss kids dancing on parents feet for example :) But yeah, the game play itself I didn't enjoy. I wish they'd add in a few more animations for sims to do together in 4 (like slow dancing etc) but if they do, it's just an added bonus haha!
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    That's just the play mode differences...how about the build mode...sigh
    Build mode was fun too. We could build garages and greenhouses and helicopter pads. Plus Sims 2 Seasons had windows that would open and close. Ceilings customisation was nice in the Sims 2 and 3. https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Ceiling. Worn out actually looked worn out in the Sims 2 both with build and CAS instead of just the intended fashion holes in a new pair of jeans. Cabinets had matching upper cabinets and Sims could actually get things out of cabinets without having to cover it with a cloud of smoke. I had a lot of fun creating nurseries too. It was a lot of fun to pick my lot sizes and decorate the neighborhood too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    He could make another one with another 50 interactions and animations not in the others. He barely scratched the surface. I played TS2 because of the Sims. I think someone on a thread said we play this franchise because of the Sim. I have to agree. TS2's Sims are the best. TS4 made some improvements like watching TV while sitting on a couch while eating, but for everything gained in TS4 look how much they lost.

I think there is a difference in which generational players are playing today's games, and it matters. I never played live mode on ultra speed but to only speed up a walk to the end of a very long drive to the portal to go somewhere, and or to speed up the slow walk sometimes of university Sims. (to get to class). Used it just for a second now and then.
    I think today's players play their games on ultra and don't really care about detail at all. I was shocked one time here to see a poll (long time ago) which asked how many play on ultra, some of us who like all the details and personality differnces never or rarely played on ultra speed. Maxis has no need to add in all the details again, if everyone is playing on ultra they would never see it anyway. :/

Playing on Ultra is a bad habit I got starting from The Sims 3.
    Long travel times, rabbit holes, all the long nights while Sims sleep... most of the time spent while playing The Sims 3 was definitely not quality gameplay, but rather waiting for something to end, in a sense that was way worse than loading screens, instead of Sims disappearing at the border of the screen, I had to watch my Sim go all the way to the place and then still disappear.

Now while playing The Sims 4 I relearned to play on normal speed again, the game got way more fun since then.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2020
    Grynn wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    He could make another one with another 50 interactions and animations not in the others. He barely scratched the surface. I played TS2 because of the Sims. I think someone on a thread said we play this franchise because of the Sim. I have to agree. TS2's Sims are the best. TS4 made some improvements like watching TV while sitting on a couch while eating, but for everything gained in TS4 look how much they lost.

I think there is a difference in which generational players are playing today's games, and it matters. I never played live mode on ultra speed but to only speed up a walk to the end of a very long drive to the portal to go somewhere, and or to speed up the slow walk sometimes of university Sims. (to get to class). Used it just for a second now and then.
    I think today's players play their games on ultra and don't really care about detail at all. I was shocked one time here to see a poll (long time ago) which asked how many play on ultra, some of us who like all the details and personality differnces never or rarely played on ultra speed. Maxis has no need to add in all the details again, if everyone is playing on ultra they would never see it anyway. :/

Playing on Ultra is a bad habit I got starting from The Sims 3.
    Long travel times, rabbit holes, all the long nights while Sims sleep... most of the time spent while playing The Sims 3 was definitely not quality gameplay, but rather waiting for something to end, in a sense that was way worse than loading screens, instead of Sims disappearing at the border of the screen, I had to watch my Sim go all the way to the place and then still disappear.

Now while playing The Sims 4 I relearned to play on normal speed again, the game got way more fun since then.
    Sims 3 most definitely is quality gameplay, it’s just in different areas. Like travelling. You can approach that as wasting time, for me it means gameplay, quality. It’s important to me (and it actually doesn’t take longer than a loading screen at all, if hurrying is the goal here). As for long nights while sims sleep, you don’t even have to press 3, the game does that automatically.

Sims 2’s quality point most definitely are the details shown in this video. Sims 3’s are the open world and travelling (to open venues, open spaces like the beach, houses; I hardly visit rabbitholes with my sims). As for Sims 4? No details and no open world. No quality at all. Worst of both its predecessors. I actually found myself pressing 3 constantly when I played the game because the animations are good, but constantly the same. They repeat and repeat and repeat and the shortcuts increased. So absolutely not comparable to Sims 2. Once you looked at them for a while they get boring and they last endlessly because of the ‘multitasking’. As for Sims 3? If anything I constantly pause the game, I definitely don’t play on ultra speed (except for the nights, though actually it can be very entertaining to press 1 for a while and look around what’s happening in the world surrounding your sleeping sim).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Uh I play Sims 4 on ultra and have all the packs and mods/CC. Sims 4 has the lowest spec requirement of all my games on steam including the Sims 3 with DLCs. I think it is about slightly lower specs as my Stardew Valley game which is 2D. My Sims 3 loading screens are faster not using the interactive loading screens.

Sims 4 also has severe memory leaks like the Sims 3 did which also have to be remedied with mods.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/787265/sims-4-has-a-severe-memory-leak
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    edited February 2020
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Yes — it’s the small details which truly matter the most. But to sum up that video, and what I feel The Sims 4 is lacking in its entirety, is heart and charm.

Nintendo just unveiled a 30 minute trailer for their own life sim’s sequel, and existing fans of it would know best, the sequel just exudes tiny details everywhere which makes it feel as if the developers love and care about every little facet of that game. I could go into more detail, but I’ll cut it short here. It’s just simply amazing what will happen when you have developers that go that extra mile every single time and a company that has nothing but passion for its craft.

It just feels the developers and executives behind The Sims don’t really have a vision which meshes well with what The Sims has been, and where it would shine best going forward. We pour 100s of our dollars into the games and DLC, write borderline essays of feedback on the forums for YEARS and what happens next? The CEO telling us we want our game to be an online experience. DLC for our DLC. Linear scripted packs. A hot tub for the big 20th.

This is why I’ve stopped buying The Sims 4 packs and why it’s very hard to get excited for the possibility of The Sims 5.
    You mean Animal Crossing? I so look forward to New Horizons! It looks like it combines what you know and loved (I’m only familiar with New Leaf), but better and with more options, more freedom. It’s exactly what a successor should be about: improvement. We just really even shouldn’t have this conversation, “is Sims 4 an improvement or not”. Having to ask the question in itself reveals the problem.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Sims 4 will never match sims 2. It’s a the poor man version and videos like that prove it.

Sims 4 tries not to offend anybody. Sims 4 is overly politically correct. Taking no risks and removing all the little touches that made The Sims through The Sims 3 and even Sims Medieval exciting games to play. Makes everything they put out feel incomplete. An example is Realm of Magic. I love the game pack but it feels incomplete. Like things are missing that should be there.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited February 2020
    @JoAnne65 Sims 4 is actually a lil bit improvement. The Cas is the best so far, and the B&B mode is awesome, but it has some weird limitations for some reason.

@Christabelle73 honey, I love CAS and Build and Build in SIms 4, but the game is THE SIMS, not THE CAS, not THE BUILD. the focus should always be the characters.

@DoloresGrey you don't need to feel bad about The SIms 4. I love it too, it has its charm... a lil bit, but it has. And thats why most of us share here what we loved in SIms 1/2/3 and want in 4, and what we love in 4 and want in 5+, as well as new things we want introduced in 4. Some people get so defensive over Sims 4, not you, but others... its ok to criticize something... wrong is to be a hater just for the sake of being a hater.

@Cinebar Yes, Sims 4 has some improvements, like multi-tasking and sitting on bed, sitting in the sofa while eating, etc... But the thing is that most improvements came with the cost of other things. Like... we can't lay on the bed to read a book in SIms 4, we can't place fences on the edge of the lot, etc etc... But, I have a good feeling that everything will be better on the future.
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    @Christabelle73 honey, I love CAS and Build and Build in SIms 4, but the game is THE SIMS, not THE CAS, not THE BUILD. the focus should always be the characters.

Which makes it all the more inexcusable that the characters in this game are so lacking in depth and personality.
    edited February 2020
    Karon wrote: »
    @JoAnne65 Sims 4 is actually a lil bit improvement. The Cas is the best so far, and the B&B mode is awesome, but it has some weird limitations for some reason.

@DoloresGrey you don't need to feel bad about The SIms 4. I love it too, it has its charm... a lil bit, but it has. And thats why most of us share here what we loved in SIms 1/2/3 and want in 4, and what we love in 4 and want in 5+, as well as new things we want introduced in 4. Some people get so defensive over Sims 4, not you, but others... its ok to criticize something... wrong is to be a hater just for the sake of being a hater.

@Cinebar Yes, Sims 4 has some improvements, like multi-tasking and sitting on bed, sitting in the sofa while eating, etc... But the thing is that most improvements came with the cost of other things. Like... we can't lay on the bed to read a book in SIms 4, we can't place fences on the edge of the lot, etc etc... But, I have a good feeling that everything will be better on the future.
    I don’t play the game to stay in CAS, the sims in the game are lacking in so many ways. Nor am I interested in an easier yet less creative build mode. Sims 4 the game is anything but an improvement. Multitasking for instance is a drag. Everything takes twice as long because they’re not multitasking at all.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Honestly it doesn't matter if you prefer slow speed or ultra or the game play in 2 or 4 or another game. Preferring one style over another doesn't make anyone superior or more special. Just play your favourite way. That's why the choices are there.

Someone telling me 2 is the best isn't going to make me enjoy that game. If I tell someone 4 is best it won't make them like it. All of this is subjective to opinion. Saying one is better than another for gameplay clearly just won't convince someone who likes the gameplay off a diff one that it is so.

Everyone is welcome to a favourite and to state what it is and to play that one and I hope everyone has fun playing their preference cuz fun is what it should be about. Enjoy!
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I love the older games and I like playing on high speeds. Has nothing to do with it. That being said, there are a lot of details you can miss in ts2 if you skip past them.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Watching videos like this makes me really wish I could have played TS2 :/

Why cant you? I still play it on my comp, its windows 10.
    I wish they could make it available on steam or origin or some other service. Along with ts1
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Love it! So many little details I'd forgotten. Just so glad I love all the versions and can play when the mood strikes.