Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Getting Notifications When I Post

When I comment in a thread that I've bookmarked I immediately get a notification that there is a new comment. Only it's mine. Happening to anyone else? ๐Ÿค”

Comments

• NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    Something like that happened to me yesterday with my own thread. It was showing a new/unread comment which turned out to be my own.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    edited February 2020
    Yup, happened to me yesterday too, my own comments were making a thread be highlighted as having a new unread message.

ETA: and again just now with this comment.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Yes, it's happening with my threads and others that I have bookmarked.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    Well, either these are hiccups that may be related to yesterday's issues with logging into Origin and the Forums OR we are not who we think we were when we did or did not write what we think we wrote. I'm thinking it's the former, but kinda wish it was the latter just because I'm a big fan of the multiverse theory. :D
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Yes happening to me too.
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    This seems to be an issue that started early yesterday - we have already made the right people aware so they can investigate.
    One detail: I've noticed the 'new' yellow tag on the categories, but not on the site notifications/email. Are you also getting notifications about your own posts on your notifications list?

we are not who we think we were when we did or did not write what we think we wrote
    Thanks for the laugh @Netzspannung :joy:
    @EA_Mai not getting those notifications on posts in threads that I'm not subscribed to, only having threads flagged as 'new' (I usually check through the Recent Discussion option) immediately after I post, with the last post being my own.

That said, I'm pretty sure those are also on threads that I never opened at all, ever. For the relevant people: A lot of them seem to be marked in the CSS with the "HasNew" flag & showing only a few new items (so possibly since yesterday?). It feels like the whole forum forgot which threads I did open and assumes I looked into all. Threads with zero replies are showing up right, even going back a few days.
    That said, I'm pretty sure those are also on threads that I never opened at all, ever. For the relevant people: A lot of them seem to be marked in the CSS with the "HasNew" flag & showing only a few new items (so possibly since yesterday?). It feels like the whole forum forgot which threads I did open and assumes I looked into all. Threads with zero replies are showing up right, even going back a few days.
    Interesting, I don't have this happen for me - do you see the same if you go into a category on the forums you don't usually visit? Or is it only happening on the 'Recent discussions' page?
    EA_Mai wrote: ยป
    Interesting, I don't have this happen for me - do you see the same if you go into a category on the forums you don't usually visit? Or is it only happening on the 'Recent discussions' page?

Yup, I checked some of the categories, including ones I never post in.

Threads with 0 replies are showing up as new threads.
    Threads I looked at and didn't reply in look "read".
    Threads with any replies at all, whether I participated in them or not, have the "new replies" marker with a variety of numbers, from 1 to several hundreds of new replies.

Bonus info: threads from before sometimes in April 2019 are all marked as read in the categories I looked into, so I'm assuming that's true across the whole forum. That is when I joined the forum, so maybe the "has new" goes back to when a user joined?

Threads from back in April in the Sims (2000) category which I don't post in:
    CeN5tIz.png

Example of a thread marked as having one new reply when that's one I posted:
    EECAC0q.png

And using my Stylus extension (for dark mode), you can see the difference between a brand new thread with zero replies and one with "new replies since last opened":
    egIUveB.png
    (those two are threads I did open before but I have no idea how accurate the number of new posts is)
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    I was noticing this as well after commenting in a thread and going back out to the main page of The Sims 3 General Discussions seeing that the thread that I've posted in has a new posting to only to realize that it was my posting when checking it out.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,474 Member
    I hope this will get fixed soon as it's a bit more annoying on mobile when you can't see the name of the last person who posted there. ๐Ÿ˜”
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
    When you see a new tag on this thread and wanna see who else is facing the problem but found out it was just you.

He-Dies-Youre-So-Empty.gif
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • lillibattenberglillibattenberg Posts: 1,279 Member
    I'm finding the notifications as well - when I comment on a bookmarked thread, it shows in my notifs.
    Jacob_Banner.png
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    I'm getting the "new" mark when I'm the last poster too (not bookmarked threads, not checked those yet today), so so glad its not just me! :) I'm not getting notifications, though, because I turned those off.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2020
    Last Sunday this started when I got the Bad Gateway notice from Vanilla forums. The next day on a Monday, I started seeing the highlights that someone new had posted on thread I had just left. But the poster was me. I don't have any threads bookmarked so I don't get a notice of new replies but see them as new when I go into categories. Then I could see emails when I try to sign in, not mine, if my cookies aren't deleted when I try to sign in, it's someone else's email other than mine each time, each time a different one. I have reported this, none of this sounds very good to me. I think some of this is a big problem.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Could this be related to the problem I'm seeing today, where threads I never opened before are telling me how many posts are "new" since last time I opened the Forums at all? I can't tell anymore what I've actually *not* read.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER โ€” Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Is there a way to "mark all read" in the forums?
    @luthienrising that's the issue I'm having. seems like the forums aren't remembering what a user did or didn't read and when anymore :(

@SimAlexandria not on the whole forum in one go, but if you go into Categories, each of them has a cogwheel that'll give you the option to "Mark Read".
    @luthienrising that's the issue I'm having. seems like the forums aren't remembering what a user did or didn't read and when anymore :(

@SimAlexandria not on the whole forum in one go, but if you go into Categories, each of them has a cogwheel that'll give you the option to "Mark Read".

thankyou!!
    Thanks everyone for the extra info!

@darrenfroggy @luthienrising do you remember if you ever used the 'Mark read' option in the categories where you are seeing unread discussions as if you had read them?
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited February 2020
    Like *ever* ever? Probably. But not recently. But it's happening with discussions that didn't exist till, say, this morning, and I definitely didn't open those discussions or use mark read this morning!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER โ€” Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    I have, on some categories, but not recently. The notifications are however odd anyway. There are ones with new posts noted from way too long ago (right around the time I joined and older than when I marked a category as read), whole threads from only a few days ago that I definitely didn't open and I didn't do the Mark as Read since they were started) that are noted as having new posts.

Like, for example, this thread showed up as having 1 new post. If I ever marked the Off Topic category as read, it would've been a while ago and even today, there were several new posts in it, not just one.

Looking at it now, it seems like threads that I never opened show up as having 1 new post. Threads that I did open have multiple and seem about right for the amount of posts since I last read the thread.
    edited February 2020
    For me, I don't think I see "1 new" for threads I've never written on but I see "new" on those. I can't remember if it's always been like that tho. ๐Ÿ˜‚ (This is on mobile by the way).

If it's on desktop, then it's normal. No "new" tags and no "1 new" tags for threads I never opened as far as I could see.
    FwDXXd5.gif
    Thanks @luthienrising @darrenfroggy!

@DeKay yep, on mobile usually you would see:
    • 'new' for threads you have never opened (unread),
    • 'x new' for the ones you have read and have x new comments since last time you read it,
    • and nothing for those you have read and have no new comments.
    Hi everyone, you shouldn't see this happen with new comments/topics anymore - please let me know if it's still not fixed for you!