Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Too many kids....school.

So my town has a lot of children (sunset valley). And the school only has 1 door so it's taking ages for them to get into school. What could I do? Thanks

Comments

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    http://www.modthesims.info/d/568897/additional-entry-and-exit-routing-slots-to-reduce-door-crowding-schools-university.html

It works well by using all the doors. Sims will be diverted to other entrances and eventually everyone will get inside the normal schools. University graduation works much too, but it's always a good idea to arrive early.

And yes, you have to register to download, but the site is well trusted.
  • AJC20178AJC20178 Posts: 264 Member
    ciane wrote: »
    http://www.modthesims.info/d/568897/additional-entry-and-exit-routing-slots-to-reduce-door-crowding-schools-university.html

It works well by using all the doors. Sims will be diverted to other entrances and eventually everyone will get inside the normal schools. University graduation works much too, but it's always a good idea to arrive early.

I'll have a look thanks

I dont understand it lol but thanks.
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    edited February 2020
    If you are more specific with regard to what exactly you don't understand, it may be easier to give you some help. Do you use any mods?
    For what it's worth, I can download there just fine without registering.
    Post edited by Turjan on
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    They’ve changed it. Used to you had to register.

@AJC20178 If you figure out how to use that mod (it’s simple, stick it in your mods folder, clear your caches, and do a NRaas reset on the school) and you’re using it in Sunset Valley, edit the area around the entrance in the back of the school or your kids will get stuck there when they come out. I think I had to remove a fence and a few other minor edits so traffic coming out could flow freely.
    There's an example image for SV that comes with the mod:
    MTS_AussomeDays-1588541-remodelEx4_schoolSunsetValley.jpg
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    They’ve changed it. Used to you had to register.

@AJC20178 If you figure out how to use that mod (it’s simple, stick it in your mods folder, clear your caches, and do a NRaas reset on the school) and you’re using it in Sunset Valley, edit the area around the entrance in the back of the school or your kids will get stuck there when they come out. I think I had to remove a fence and a few other minor edits so traffic coming out could flow freely.

Ok thanks
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Turjan wrote: »

Yes. I was going to mention this problem with the SV school back door but your pictures show the problem better. It took my sims child not coming home from school one afternoon before I found them stuck with a whole group of kids outside the back door before I made the sidewalk and stairs usable.

And the university doors all being usable solved the bottleneck of getting into class.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Turjan wrote: »
    Sometimes I genuinely wonder if they implemented certain routing issues on purpose. This is just.... so unnecessary and dumb :D
    5JZ57S6.png
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Sometimes I genuinely wonder if they implemented certain routing issues on purpose. This is just.... so unnecessary and dumb :D
    It does look that way in this particular case, but under EA standard I don't think the back door would ever be used for anything. It's the mod that makes those doors become usable.

I just went through trying to service a similar problem with the stock school/stadium lot in Isla Paradiso but I got stuck not being able to extend the entrances' foundations because the lot wasn't level enough. I could have fixed that by replacing the school or removing it just to adjust the lot's leveling, but I was being stubborn and didn't want the town's kids and career athletes to lose their school/career performance up through that point even though I could have fixed that too with MC. Eventually I ended up fencing off the path to the offending doors and making the gates one-way only using NRaas GoHere since in that case exiting the rabbithole was fine and the rest of the doors work great in both directions. But EA couldn't really have predicted that we would be blessed with such a mod that enables all of the doors on these lots to be used as it looks like they should have been.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited February 2020
    @igazor In principle, the SV school can also make issues during editing. My own solution to that school looks like this (sorry for the night pic):
    o6A3Kwg.jpg
    I had to force that by using cheats. I think it's mostly visible at the bottom of the stairs. It still looks a bit wonky.
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    Even if they are standing outside the school waiting to go inside, it still counts as they are in school. So I haven't bothered looking into fixes.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2020
    Cororon wrote: »
    Even if they are standing outside the school waiting to go inside, it still counts as they are in school. So I haven't bothered looking into fixes.
    Actually no, at least not exactly. When a sim is standing outside waiting to get into school/work after their official start time has passed, their status is Going to School/Work (meaning on their way). They do not get penalized further for not being on time, but with this status they do not progress with their school or job performance either. Once they are inside, their status is At School/Work and then they progress forwards (or backwards) depending upon which rabbithole tone they pick up or in the case of an actively controlled sim, which one we give them from the pull-down menu. If it takes all kids until 11 am or 12 noon to get inside, this hurts their school performance because although it won't decrease, it won't be increasing during that time.

In my Isla Paradiso example, once I got the doors gated off that were never going to work as entry points all sims were able to get inside the overcrowded school by 9:02 am. I can live with that.

But the other problem is that when sims collide with each other while waiting to get inside a rabbithole, one or both of them might give up and go home or someplace else, in which case they are then penalized by the sim minute for Missing School/Work. And, for those of us who play with NRaas SP, we are besieged with notifications that so and so decided not to bother going to school/work today until the mod or the game itself successfully pushes them back again.

At some point I will give them a second school to split the enrollment, but with the entry point mod this doesn't become necessary quite so soon.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    I also noticed that there is a high chance of students canceling their school visit if, for whatever reason, you needed to save and exit the game during school hours while they were still standing outside.