Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you like to have more trait slots for your Sim?

HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
edited February 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Maybe even unlocking an additional trait slot if an achievement is met.

- A toddler maxing out all skills?
- Straight A child student?
- Unlocking all scout badges?
- A perfect score in university?

How many traits would you prefer for each life stage?

Feel free to discuss.
wB2Zykl.jpg

Would you like to have more trait slots for your Sim? 79 votes

Yes, I’d prefer if we are able to have more traits on a single Sim.
91%
CK213Cabelle1863TheRealTacomamalisamwittCamkatdanacnbrettEvilWitch83Isb917SusanaLeotekeekee53asimbsimAuroraBoreallisirishdragon7CynnaAnmirlainvisiblgirlMariefoxprice83fruitsbasket101Cinebarcmbaker16 72 votes
No, I like it the way it is.
8%
LeGardePourpreMissyHissyddd994Vivi_WillowTreeEvie0602Amandèlemimilu04 7 votes

Comments

• TheRealTacomamaTheRealTacomama Posts: 109 Member
    I have the More Traits mod and I really, really like it. I think adding more traits makes for explicitly unique sims. For example, I have the Gotham City Sirens in a house... now, with just three traits they are each just variations on "evil" and "romantic." But add more traits and suddenly Poison Ivy is also a gardener, Catwoman is a thief, Harley Quinn is erratic.
    Simming for twenty years...
  • Gecko420Gecko420 Posts: 245 Member
    Yes there needs to be 5 slot traits like there were in the sims 3, I find it silly how in the sims 4, a child has one trait, a teen has two and an adult has three but back in the sims 3 a child could have up to three, a teen could have 4 traits and an adult had 5. No idea why they limited us with traits.
    t0j4i8.jpg
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I really like your idea to use achievements as a way to unlock more traits. Gives more of a sense of accomplishment and a reason for doing certain things or trying in certain areas.

I'd still like the base to be 5 traits, then add more after that depending what they complete in life (like scouts or university). Starting off with 3 and another as they age. Guess I basically want sims 3 style back with a 4 twist.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    I'll be honest, I really thought this would bother me when I started playing Sims 4 but it really didn't. I'm actually in the camp of preferring the idea of gaining traits through gameplay, like we do with the aspirations. I feel like my sims are growing then because of their actions, instead of having all those traits straight away.
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited February 2020
    I'd rather have traits that matter. Traits that actually infuence sims and make their personality.

What would we have more trait slots for when the traits do literally nothing.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I'd like an additional trait for toddlers and kids, and more traits in general. With adults, I'm more likely to run out of traits that fit my Sim than I am to run out of trait slots.

It would also be nice to have the ability to change at least one trait as Sims become adults (from YA) and elders. An ambitious Sim might become more family-oriented, for example.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,421 Member
    More trait slots would be nice, but then we would need more traits and trait with more impact.
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    I think 4 is enough for adults, I like the way it is. I would want more traits added over an extra trait slot if anything. Or an overhaul as they currently aren’t all that impactful tbh. Completing aspirations and buying aspiration rewards, I always end up with at least 10 traits anyways. You can always earn extra traits through gameplay/ “life experience”. It feels appropriate to me.
  • chuckjaymoorechuckjaymoore Posts: 60 Member
    > @Gecko420 said:
    > Yes there needs to be 5 slot traits like there were in the sims 3, I find it silly how in the sims 4, a child has one trait, a teen has two and an adult has three but back in the sims 3 a child could have up to three, a teen could have 4 traits and an adult had 5. No idea why they limited us with traits.

The Sims 4 promised "unique" Sims, but they really aren't that unique. Adding more trait slots will help provide more originality to each Sim. This is a life simulator. Every one I meet in life is completely different. It should be that way in The Sims.
    Gallery ID: 1mooresimmer
    YouTube channel: youtube.com/@1mooresimmer/
    TikTok: tiktok.com/@1mooresimmer
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,444 Member
    I've thought a lot about Traits and I'm not so sure another trait slot would actually make a positive difference. Most traits just give buffs to emotions, and the problem with that is that all Sims are constantly shifting between the same moods from generic game buffs like needs, food, decorations, activities, etc so they are not distinctive and don't actually influence behavioral changes much at all. So I think changing the traits that we have to dictate behaviors, along with environmental tuning to neutralize mood buffs is more important.

Also, I've started an experiment with choosing fewer traits per Sim to see if personalities are more distinctive. I have a theory that since Sims 4 is more simplified than previous versions, that personalities might work better when simplified as well. Too many Traits might have the opposite effect from what we expect and actually muddle behaviors even more. We'll see how it turns out.

#Team Occult
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    If traits were more meaningful and it more than just add moodlets, I'd say yes. But for right now I say, why does it matter how many traits a sim has if they barely do anything. They could give each life stage 40 traits slots, but it matters little if the traits themselves are so dull. I'd like a trait overhaul to be a priority over simply increasing the amount sims should have.

To answer the second question, I think all life stages should have at least 3 traits. If they want to add more for older sims that's fine, but 3 should be the minimum for everyone. It's ridiculous to limit children and toddlers to one single trait.
  • RhiannonravenRhiannonraven Posts: 128 Member
    Since they have four sections that the traits are organized into, why not just make it so you can have one trait from each section?

An even better (but slightly harder) idea is to make new sections. You would choose one trait from each section for each life stage. My ideas for each life stage:
    • Toddlers: One emotional trait, one behavioral trait
    • Child: One hobby, one personality trait, one lifestyle trait
    • Teen: One hobby, one personality trait, one mental trait, one bad trait
    • Adult: One hobby, one personality trait, one lifestyle trait, one bad trait, one mental trait
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Our sims needs more traits like in Sims 3 please.
  • Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    > @ListentoToppDogg said:
    > If traits were more meaningful and it more than just add moodlets, I'd say yes. But for right now I say, why does it matter how many traits a sim has if they barely do anything. They could give each life stage 40 traits slots, but it matters little if the traits themselves are so dull. I'd like a trait overhaul to be a priority over simply increasing the amount sims should have.
    >
    > To answer the second question, I think all life stages should have at least 3 traits. If they want to add more for older sims that's fine, but 3 should be the minimum for everyone. It's ridiculous to limit children and toddlers to one single trait.

I said yes to the poll, but I agree with this. I would like more trait slots, but I really need 1) more traits to choose from, and 2) more meaningful traits to make this work.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    I was hoping University would bring that to us.
    That and the odd game play of secret societies really made that pack disappointing for me.
    Traits also need a overhaul for more depth and individuality.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It's sad there are only three, and the reward ones you can buy with reward points haven't changed in years, not much new there, either. The other day I answered if I were a Sim (TS4) what traits I would have, that was a hard choice because in RL I think we all have ten or more right? I'm more than just a geek, perceptive and or loner. If that was just on a Sim think how limited the gameplay would be, oh, wait. ;)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited February 2020
    Assign more irrelevant traits ?

Many of them are irrelevant like the Clumsy trait. The most of time one trait is enough.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I'd like a system that divides traits into personality and skills. And I think it would be fine if a sim would have like 3 personality traits and 3 skill traits. That's enough. If you add more, you'll end up with identical sims.

That being said, this question is irrelevant where it comes to Sims 4 as others have pointed out already. A sim in TS4 can have 1 trait or 20, you won't notice them because emotions will constantly get in the way. So, I'd like this for Sims 5. And Paralives.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ilovejustinmooreilovejustinmoore Posts: 8 New Member
    Yes i would
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    Only for roleplaying reasons. The way traits are coded in The Sims 4, they don't really make a difference in their personality. For traits to truly affect the game the way they do in TS3, they have to be accounted for in EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF CODE.

This what The Sims 3 does, every interaction and situation in-game has one or multiple checks for appropriate traits.

Something as simple as the "pillow fight" interaction checks if any of the Sims involved has the "Proper" trait before deciding whether the Sim is going to accept or reject the interaction:
    m9chjvT.png

The crazy thing is that "Pillow Fight" is a Generations interaction, and Proper is a Supernatural trait. So they went back to this interaction and modified it to add this check and make the Proper trait more meaningful. There are countless of examples like this.

This is why personalities in The Sims 3 are so unique. Because they took the time to write the necessary code to make traits matter and the system was 100% designed around traits.

The Sims 4 in contrast is designed around EMOTIONS. The problem is that there are only 16 emotions, and most of the time Sims are either happy, angry, sad or tense. So you end up with Sims that are carbon copies of each other. Traits in The Sims 4 do absolutely nothing more than regulate the rate at which Sims gain certain skills, the default emotions, and maybe add one or two interactions. They don't even affect autonomy that much, as I tested myself here.

• lacianalaciana Posts: 29 Member
    More trait slots, more traits, traits that actually do something. I enjoy the gloomy trait, the moodlets make sense and it works well for my author Sim. Having my archaeologist Sim stop tomb raiding to run off and swim laps was so annoying I replaced active with cheerful. I'm tired of having to make all of my Sims cheerful in order to counteract the daily tense syndrome.
    Naus wrote: »
    Only for roleplaying reasons. The way traits are coded in The Sims 4, they don't really make a difference in their personality. For traits to truly affect the game the way they do in TS3, they have to be accounted for in EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF CODE.

This what The Sims 3 does, every interaction and situation in-game has one or multiple checks for appropriate traits.

Something as simple as the "pillow fight" interaction checks if any of the Sims involved has the "Proper" trait before deciding whether the Sim is going to accept or reject the interaction:
    m9chjvT.png

The crazy thing is that "Pillow Fight" is a Generations interaction, and Proper is a Supernatural trait. So they went back to this interaction and modified it to add this check and make the Proper trait more meaningful. There are countless of examples like this.

This is why personalities in The Sims 3 are so unique. Because they took the time to write the necessary code to make traits matter and the system was 100% designed around traits.

The Sims 4 in contrast is designed around EMOTIONS. The problem is that there are only 16 emotions, and most of the time Sims are either happy, angry, sad or tense. So you end up with Sims that are carbon copies of each other. Traits in The Sims 4 do absolutely nothing more than regulate the rate at which Sims gain certain skills, the default emotions, and maybe add one or two interactions. They don't even affect autonomy that much, as I tested myself here.
    I don’t even think traits influence emotions in any way do they? Like, I could imagine a friendly person wouldn’t get angry so easily, but I believe there’s no difference in that respect. The emotion system is exactly the same for a sim with friendly traits as it is for a mean or an evil sim? Or is there some influence in that respect?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 451 Member
    If traits gave sims individual personalities then yes I'd definitely want the five slots back. Hopefully the modders can fix code for this.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

m9chjvT.png

I don’t even think traits influence emotions in any way do they? Like, I could imagine a friendly person wouldn’t get angry so easily, but I believe there’s no difference in that respect. The emotion system is exactly the same for a sim with friendly traits as it is for a mean or an evil sim? Or is there some influence in that respect?

Actually, they do - 'loner' Sims get tense around crowds or meeting new people. 'Outdoors lover' Sims don't get tense during thunderstorms. Loner Sims are also more likely to get embarrassed. 'Family oriented' Sims get sad when they don't interact enough with family. Sometimes these emotions are overridden by emotions from other things, but not all the time.

That said, I would like traits to have more influence - a heavier weight in comparison to, say, a painting. That's a matter of tuning - there are some objects that specificially are meant to influence emotions, such as emotional paintings, and they should have a heftier weight when turned on. Random objects should have a very small influence in comparison to traits.
    I just want things to match. :'(
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

m9chjvT.png

Actually, they do - 'loner' Sims get tense around crowds or meeting new people. 'Outdoors lover' Sims don't get tense during thunderstorms. Loner Sims are also more likely to get embarrassed. 'Family oriented' Sims get sad when they don't interact enough with family. Sometimes these emotions are overridden by emotions from other things, but not all the time.

That said, I would like traits to have more influence - a heavier weight in comparison to, say, a painting. That's a matter of tuning - there are some objects that specificially are meant to influence emotions, such as emotional paintings, and they should have a heftier weight when turned on. Random objects should have a very small influence in comparison to traits.
    That’s indeed what I meant. It’s good at least there is some connection then. And yes, I agree with the rest.
    5JZ57S6.png