Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do sims have individual TV channel preferences?

I have the impression that most sims will turn on the romantic channel when they watch tv. Some channels are hardly ever watched.

In my game I have a variety of sims living very different lives. Such as the Mayor and other politicians, and loads of sims owning stocks and investing etc. I find it weird that hardly any of those watch the News instead of Downton Abbey. Also, there doesn't seem to be a connection between TV and their needs, other than turning the TV on when low on Fun.

I wish there was a way to set each sim's (or at least those we care for) tv channel preference. Is there any such mod?
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    I don't know of a mod, but it seems like Romance channel is the most popular, followed by comedy. Sims really want the ones that affect their emotions instead of the ones that give them skills. When I choose, I usually have them watch Cooking.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    Mine tend to gravitate towards the sports channel.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    My current Sim seems to prefer TV Classics.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,547 Member
    My current Sim seems to prefer TV Classics.
    Yeah my current sim likes the tv classics. My previous sim seemed to like watching kids channels but I think she had the childish trait.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,667 Member
    Ah, so maybe there are certain preferences based on traits, already? I might have been "unlucky" that most my students in a dorm prefer Romance then, although it doesn't quite fit with the lifestyle of them all. Maybe the game thinks that single YAs likes romantic series... Perhaps this could be a future experiment project, testing tv vs traits :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Whenever I have my Sims "channel surf", 9 times out of 10 they'll watch Action. The other 1, they'll put on kid shows.
    I've never had one of my Sims end up on any other channel, unless it's a visitor watching TV, but most of the time they'll put on movies.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Some of my sims seem to be drawn to civil access, news, weather, tv classics and movies, oh and the athletic sims love sports tv. What I like is that the sims watch pretty much the same thing every time they turn on the tube.

Foodie sims love watching cooking channel and cooking videos, and that's about all they watch. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Don't think so. I've not noticed anything to indicate that. Now that you bring it up, I wish it was something we could choose for them in CAS.
  • SendillinSendillin Posts: 6 New Member
    All of mine seem to go for cooking or that kids action movie. Is is supposed to be a Spy Kids parody? I never catch my sims watching anything else.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,381 Member
    My Sims seem to like children's channel or cooking channel the most.
  • CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member
    Most of my sims love their little public access, cspan channels. God love those little weirdos.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,587 Member
    It depends on the trait. My foodie sim loves the cooking channel.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Used to be, always action or or romance. With City Living now installed, quite a bit of the news/politics channels. Interestingly enough, they have turned on the Sims version of the Weather Channel on by themselves only ONCE!
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    My active adult Sim watches sports. My teen plays video games. Her dad will be watching sports while Mom focuses on the twin toddlers. The next thing I know the dad and teen are playing games. She must talk him into gaming or something. It's related to traits I think. The Mom is family orientated and I never see her watch TV or play games. She does troll on the computer and browse the internet though.
  • BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    My foodies will always look at the cooking channel and parents will always turn on the kids channel around kids. I do wish more channels were naturally viewed based on trait.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I find it ridiculous that the presence of even just one kid dictates what the parents and caretakers are ever gonna watch.

Otherwise, it should be a trait thing like DeKay pointed out. Active Sims supposedly prefer the Sports channel, confident ones the Action channel, romantic ones the Romance channel, etc.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    @Nindigo This was actually a thing in The Sims 1. They had TV channel preferences according to their personality.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    I've noticed that my foodie sims gravitate toward the cooking channels. Childish sims gravitate toward the kids channel. It may just be coincidental but still fitting.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I see Romance, Comedy, and Cooking channel preferences in my households.
  • beadierturtlebeadierturtle Posts: 295 Member
    The Action channel interests me, because there's a scene that involves a mummy and Ancient Egyptian scenery/items which, I hope, means something like that will be released eventually.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Hi beadierturtle, those are videos of Sims 3 World Adventures, which was one of my favorites. Personnally I would absolutely love another World Adventures. <3
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • AshenAshen Posts: 34 Member
    I usually just make my sims watch the news unless I want them to have a certain mood. I think it'd be great if there was a way to set each sim's tv channel preference.
  • tayahjessieetayahjessiee Posts: 20 Member
    My sims usually default to turning the telly onto the comedy channel, however the romance channel is always popular too. I've never considered that sims have preferences.
    "They say it don't be like it be, but it do"
  • Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    I don't think they do. They DID in the Sims 2 (don't remember about 3). Their choice in TV was linked to their personality. So, for example, non-active Sims did not get much fun out of watching sports.

Unfortunately, this is a great illustration of the problem with the Sims 4. Any Sim can watch any channel and gain fun, and their "emotion" will change to what they are watching. If they watch Romance, they will become "flirty," if watching Comedy "Playful," etc. Great illustration of why emotions pale in comparison to personalities. Any Sim can be anything just by watching TV. So every Sim is the same.