Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you like to see Interests make a return?

HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
edited February 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Interests were introduced in The Sims 1 (Base Game) and The Sims 2 (Base Game). It allowed unique conversations held between Sims, different conversation sounds and different body gestures depending on what they are talking about. Players can change the topic or allow a Sim to do so autonomously. This system gave Sims a sense of deeper personality because interests also determined how well Sims got along with each other.

If you don’t know about this system, please read the wiki for more info: https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Interest
wB2Zykl.jpg

Would you like to see Interests make a return? 81 votes

Yes, I enjoyed this and would like to experience it again.
83%
CK213Idontrcallalan650111AprilDawnCamkatbekiEvilWitch83Isb917keekee53asimbsimAuroraBoreallisirishdragon7CynnaMariefoxprice83simgirl1010Bagoas77luthienrisingfruitsbasket101cmbaker16bethyGrace 68 votes
No, I did not enjoy it and would prefer if it didn’t return.
2%
friendlysimmersCinebar 2 votes
I have never played The Sims 1/The Sims 2 but I am open to this idea.
12%
JoAnne65BabykittyjadeRemy_GenevaListentoToppDoggSERVERFRADaWaterRatKimmerSigma1202SribindiBatterfang 10 votes
I have never played The Sims 1/The Sims 2 and I don’t like it.
1%
Evie0602 1 vote

Comments

• 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    Funny enough, I was just talking to my daughter yesterday about how I missed interests in TS4.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Another lovely feature! I would definitely like being able to choose those interests myself if it made a comeback though. <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited February 2020
    Anything to give sims a bit more of personality.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,955 Member
    edited February 2020
    yees except I think with ts1 at least it was more based on what your sims do which annoyed me because the game would just assume my sims love comedy if they watched comedy couple times when im like no no they hate it but they watch it cause their bae watch it... you know?

like rather than game assuming by itself let me choose and be micromanagy about it
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    No, I did not enjoy it and would prefer if it didn’t return.
    In was too complicated in TS1, Morty was so hard to gain as a friend. He was always cursing out my Sims and hanging up. lol (I miss the cursing out my Sims, though, :D ) In TS2 though conversations would be better and it did make Sims refuse to talk about particular subjects (autonomously) and put their fingers in their ears and or stand with arms crossed, like they were thinking, really? lol, it was only good if you wanted to change subjects etc. In TS4 I fear (though I like it in TS2) it would be the same old same old. Interests: painting, painting, painting, writing, writing, writing, playing pc games, games, games. I don't think these Sims have enough personality as it is, and Maxis seems to use those three things plus one more jogging, working out, jogging etc. etc. for Everything in this game. So, I vote no because we already know what they would use as interests.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    telmarina wrote: »
    Anything to give sims a bit more of personality.

• PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Only if I can pick them. From what I remember, you didn't have any control over that.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    @PlayerSinger2010 You can cheat by dragging the bars to the left/right or from reading magazines.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I loved it. It made the sims feel more unique. I loved when one sim wanted to talk about politics and the other did not and their relationship started to take a hit. It was also nice to see some sims change topics because clearly the other sim did not want to talk about something they were interested in.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Yes, I would love it if interests were to return. IMHO, they could even be expanded and integrated further into personality than The Sims 2 did.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yes so much. I also loved aspiration failures and wants and fears from the Sims 2. Attraction preferences were nice too. I miss the Sims 2 memory system too. Anything to make the Sims feel more unique from each other instead of like robot clones.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,126 Member
    I've only played Sims 3 & 4. I do hope they bring back all the best from the original Sims games but also especially the best games from Sims 3.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Yes. YES! One thousand times, yes!
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Hestia wrote: »
    @PlayerSinger2010 You can cheat by dragging the bars to the left/right or from reading magazines.

I'd still rather choose them myself, especially if they come in an update and I have Sims whose interests I already have in mind.
  • lacianalaciana Posts: 29 Member
    I always had my Sims read magazines to change their interests to what I wanted for them. Having them be something that's chosen during creation, like the likes in Sims 3 would work though.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    @PlayerSinger2010 That was the old system. Who’s to say that it wouldn’t be more customizable? :)
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    This is one of the things I miss most about TS2. Interests go a long way in making your sim feel more unique, the current game would really benefit from them.
  • Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    I liked this; it gave sims another way to be unique. The idea that a sim would have a natural--not forced--preference for some activities is very true-to-life. I liked when they got bored with conversations that didn't interest them.

The only thing I would say is, they could get a little too obsessive about their hobby, where it took over ALL needs and wants. I wouldn't want that again.