Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

why I don't like sims 2 as much as3 and 4

there's lots of things I like about sims 2 the wants and fears and memories which I would love to be put in other sims games as well as the fact that
they can die of illness the things that I don't like are the fact that its so hard to keep there needs up
and the fact that they age faster if you don't fulfill there wants
if my sims starve I want it to be because they could not afford food I don't want it to be because they fill asleep in there dinner or because
they cant be bothered to go to the fridge
more for sim kids and more drama please

Comments

• OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Been playing since the game first came out and have seldom had a problem keeping sims needs upl In those rare instances there is the 'maxMotives' cheat that will take care of things quickly.

Aging is by the clock, not by wants, so they don't age faster if wants get low. There are a few things that extend the age for a given case beyond the set limits. Besides, aging is totally under player control as it can be turned on or off (default is on) as desired.

Have yet to have a sim starve, even those that have fallen asleep while eating. Wake them up, get more food down, repeat as necessary until you can send them to a couch for a nap. While one does need to be mindful of the needs bars, keeping them going is not difficult.

Not seen a sim decline to go to the fridge. More like a mad dash to it when hunger is low to 'stuff face'.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Can’t say it forms my overall opinion about the game (not least because I played Sims 2 too briefly to have a thorough one, but also because I think less appreciated details don’t make or break a game), but I didn’t like the deadly loop my pregnant sim found herself in when she returned from Twikii Island. Too tired to eat, too hungry to sleep. There was only one way to get her out of that: cheating. If the game allows just two options, cheat or die, for me that’s too much. Especially because in no way did it represent reality, it felt over the top. But most importantly: I couldn’t have helped it. She had been fine when she left to go to Twikii Island and she was fine when she returned home. It was the game that decided to do the deadly loop thing during traveling.

Again, for me this doesn’t make or break a game in general, but it felt overdone to me.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Been playing since the game first came out and have seldom had a problem keeping sims needs upl In those rare instances there is the 'maxMotives' cheat that will take care of things quickly.

Aging is by the clock, not by wants, so they don't age faster if wants get low. There are a few things that extend the age for a given case beyond the set limits. Besides, aging is totally under player control as it can be turned on or off (default is on) as desired.

Have yet to have a sim starve, even those that have fallen asleep while eating. Wake them up, get more food down, repeat as necessary until you can send them to a couch for a nap. While one does need to be mindful of the needs bars, keeping them going is not difficult.

Not seen a sim decline to go to the fridge. More like a mad dash to it when hunger is low to 'stuff face'.

but I thought when I started the game it said the more wants you fulfill the happier your sims is and the longer they will live did I just misunderstand ? @Oldeseadogge
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Can’t say it forms my overall opinion about the game (not least because I played Sims 2 too briefly to have a thorough one, but also because I think less appreciated details don’t make or break a game), but I didn’t like the deadly loop my pregnant sim found herself in when she returned from Twikii Island. Too tired to eat, too hungry to sleep. There was only one way to get her out of that: cheating. If the game allows just two options, cheat or die, for me that’s too much. Especially because in no way did it represent reality, it felt over the top. But most importantly: I couldn’t have helped it. She had been fine when she left to go to Twikii Island and she was fine when she returned home. It was the game that decided to do the deadly loop thing during traveling.

Again, for me this doesn’t make or break a game in general, but it felt overdone to me.

yes I feel it was over done to which I would have been okay with if the game didn't auto save
    @JoAnne65 and even though I really like the game and I drama I want to pick when the game saves

yes I feel it was over done to which I would have been okay with if the game didn't auto save
    @JoAnne65 and even though I really like the game and I drama I want to pick when the game saves
    Yes, me too (didn’t know Sims 2 did auto saving :o ).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2020
    I'm just going to point out how to play TS2 better for those who have struggled with it, so maybe they would wind up liking it better in the long run (other than open world and CASt or no loading screens). TS2 is built on the formula of TS1. Points matter.

If a Sim is pregnant it is very easy to care for her (harder if twins or triplets, much harder) if you know her points in certain areas. Such as active Sims need more food, more often, and Lazy Sims need more comfort more often etc. Furniture matters. In TS2 beds that raise energy to 10 work faster. A bed that has a low energy point such as 2 for energy will take all night and she will be more tired.

Here are some little facts. Comfort will always fill first (the needle starts moving before energy. So, a bed with higher comfort is also necessary. A 1 point comfort level for a chair or bed or couch etc. will take a longer time for your Sim to fill that area. Too tired and aching too much.

Stoves and fridges have points just like in TS1. Not only do Sims need better cooking skills but better appliances, a level 10 stove on food points cooks faster and last longer (hunger) mixed with foods such as spag. and or a better, more filling rather than grilled cheese etc.

If sitting at the table with other Sims or wherever, couch and or chair, Social will fill before hunger. So, it's why you see them talk so much in between bites. It's the way it's programmed. Their comfort is also filling so if they are sitting on a chair or couch that is only 2 points comfort you can expec them to sit there longer and try to fill that first, before social and or hunger. It's all working at same time (multitasking) but one will overtake the other needs/motives to fill first. Such as comfort, then social then hunger though they are all moving the needles at the same time. (Don't sit very hungry Sims with those with low social, and or neater Sims who take longer to eat, sloppy Sims hurry and finish but may get delayed by those with low social trying to keep talking.) AKA personality points matter of what type of Sim you have and how much comfort, food and energy they are going to use. Outgoing Sims (high social points) need more talking all the time.

Hope that helps. :)
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,464 Member
    edited February 2020
    Sims2 was my introduction to gaming, in general. I did have a cheesy Star Trek game that made you go through a battle scenario before you could get to the 'fun' part of the game, such as solving the mission problem, but I grew tired of that one rapidly. Yeah, me a HUGE Original Star Trek fan. So, Sims2 is the game that captured my imagination. There was no timer (beyond how long the Sims lived) and that could be shut off, which is what the game pamphlet suggested for those new to the game. I often played with aging off, and only put it on when it was time for my Sims' Baby, Toddler, Child, or Teen, to age up. Then it went right back off. That is, so long as I was able to keep my Sims alive. I quickly realized this game was all about time-management. There were and no goals beyond your own, leaving us free to play how we wanted and to what end.

We were given quite the challenge with this game. So much to juggle. I needed the challenge and loved it. Sadly, with the advent of Sims3, much of what I loved had been abandoned for an easier, friendlier to children (of which I'm not, going on 65 this year) and they turned those terrifying ghosts into Caspar the Friendly Ghost . Ghosts just aren't fun anymore. At all. Not for me. They are far more of a nuisance.

What I didn't like about the game is the time-factor. Without turning aging off you really didn't have a prayer beyond cheating. I didn't consider it cheating, in the beginning if I used the reward objects. You needed to make certain before you used most of them that your Sims were in the Green, but most certainly not in the gold or the Red zone. It could be dire, if you did so. :open_mouth: At that time I didn't use the cheat to fulfill their needs. At ALL. Now, I'm addicted to the Make Happy cheat. :open_mouth:
    Post edited by GalacticGal on
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    edited February 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm just going to point out how to play TS2 better for those who have struggled with it, so maybe they would wind up liking it better in the long run (other than open world and CASt or no loading screens). TS2 is built on the formula of TS1. Points matter.

If a Sim is pregnant it is very easy to care for her (harder if twins or triplets, much harder) if you know her points in certain areas. Such as active Sims need more food, more often, and Lazy Sims need more comfort more often etc. Furniture matters. In TS2 beds that raise energy to 10 work faster. A bed that has a low energy point such as 2 for energy will take all night and she will be more tired.

Here are some little facts. Comfort will always fill first (the needle starts moving before energy. So, a bed with higher comfort is also necessary. A 1 point comfort level for a chair or bed or couch etc. will take a longer time for your Sim to fill that area. Too tired and aching too much.

Stoves and fridges have points just like in TS1. Not only do Sims need better cooking skills but better appliances, a level 10 stove on food points cooks faster and last longer (hunger) mixed with foods such as spag. and or a better, more filling rather than grilled cheese etc.

If sitting at the table with other Sims or wherever, couch and or chair, Social will fill before hunger. So, it's why you see them talk so much in between bites. It's the way it's programmed. Their comfort is also filling so if they are sitting on a chair or couch that is only 2 points comfort you can expec them to sit there longer and try to fill that first, before social and or hunger. It's all working at same time (multitasking) but one will overtake the other needs/motives to fill first. Such as comfort, then social then hunger though they are all moving the needles at the same time. (Don't sit very hungry Sims with those with low social, and or neater Sims who take longer to eat, sloppy Sims hurry and finish but may get delayed by those with low social trying to keep talking.) AKA personality points matter of what type of Sim you have and how much comfort, food and energy they are going to use. Outgoing Sims (high social points) need more talking all the time.

I think my biggest gripe when it happened was, that it had happened during travelling. That being said: as long as there are cheats, things like that won't really matter to me. I avoid cheats because they make gameplay boring, too simple, but I don't care if I can use it to fix a flaw (well, what I consider a flaw, others won't, it's not a factual flaw obviously, others love this kind of challenge).

I've noticed before by the way that there's more to Sims 2 than meets the eye at first sight. I remember complaining about sims not feeling satisfied after eating a meal and someone explained that it matters how good the cook is. I think that's actually the kind of detail people miss.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »

I think my biggest gripe when it happened was, that it had happened during travelling. That being said: as long as there are cheats, things like that won't really matter to me. I avoid cheats because they make gameplay boring, too simple, but I don't care if I can use it to fix a flaw (well, what I consider a flaw, others won't, it's not a factual flaw obviously, others love this kind of challenge).

I've noticed before by the way that there's more to Sims 2 than meets the eye at first sight. I remember complaining about sims not feeling satisfied after eating a meal and someone explained that it matters how good the cook is. I think that's actually the kind of detail people miss.

Yeah, the personality points really do matter. As much as traits matter in TS3. But if someone (I do it often, lol) make Sims in TS2 with all even points almost you won't see much difference (but they are easier to play) such as five points in neatness you will never see a real slob who digs in trash and can eat out of trash (good if broke, lol) and who can dirty up the entire house etc. Or if five points in social you will never see the very outgoing Sim who needs social all the time but does a lot of idles and flirty type behavior and or just speaks to everyone as they go by etc.

Or if five points in active you will never see a very lazy Sim who won't get out of bed, or do much and hates cleaning and complains about it and or hates things.

Points in TS2 are very important but over the years I think people set them all to about even for each trait and wind up with Sims who do act the same and wind up being a Cancer Sim (zodiac) most of the time.

But if they experiment with all the traits from full to none (no points) or just one they might see it's as important as traits in TS3. Those are just a few examples of some of their personality then there are interests, Plus likes and dislikes and Attractions and zodiac signs. It's heavily layered if you dive deep.

And Sims with full neat points do their own special idles and hate messes, get upset and gain their fun from cleaning up. they love to make beds, clean dishes, mop etc. This is the points I use if I want a built in housekeeper who I know will clean up after slops and get his/her fun from doing it. I won't have to fill their fun for them with a TV etc. lol Serious Sims prefer books to read rather than TV (other than the news channel) and love the newspaper etc. They get fun faster if the do the things they like not into kids channel on TV etc. and it would take a very long time to fill that empty fun bar.

Kids in TS2 prefer games with others (if not shy or serious) and with parents like dance on toes, swing around, cops and robbers etc. If they have a lower motive like bladder they may not want to play cops and robbers etc. But they also do things pertaining to their personality points, which does irk me some times my little neater kids want to clean up more than they want to watch tv or play games with others. I have to cancel that sometimes and get them to play with someone first to fill social and fun at same time.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I sometimes used the 'aging off' cheat. I prefer it in TS3 where aging can be universal and you can turn it off and adjust it for the whole world. I would leave it off and age Sims up through the birthday cake if I wanted to. I like that level of complete control.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • CourfeyracCourfeyrac Posts: 81 Member

but I thought when I started the game it said the more wants you fulfill the happier your sims is and the longer they will live did I just misunderstand ? @Oldeseadogge

It's to do with how long your sims live after they become an Elder, not how fast they age. If their aspiration bar is red when they age up to Elder, they might only live for, say, 10 days before dying of old age. But if their aspiration bar is gold or platinum when they age up, they might live for 25 days before dying of old age.
    Courfeyrac wrote: »

It's to do with how long your sims live after they become an Elder, not how fast they age. If their aspiration bar is red when they age up to Elder, they might only live for, say, 10 days before dying of old age. But if their aspiration bar is gold or platinum when they age up, they might live for 25 days before dying of old age.

oh thanks a lot @Courfeyrac for clearing that up
    Been away a bit, sorry. What Courfeyrac said. Another place where aspirations impact elders is when they pass on. A high bar gives them a classier send-off with hula dancers. This version has a lot of small and subtle things that add up as you go along, so paying attention to the details really helps, whether it's the points in objects or the many elements that combine to make a sim's personality. In that I think of what sort of person do I want that sim to be and lay out the 25 points accordingly. You don't need to use all 25, either. For example Lilith Pleasant has only 21, which goes a long way to explain the mess she's in. TS2 has what TS4 only promises, but it's up to the player how much advantage of that one takes.
    Been away a bit, sorry. What Courfeyrac said. Another place where aspirations impact elders is when they pass on. A high bar gives them a classier send-off with hula dancers. This version has a lot of small and subtle things that add up as you go along, so paying attention to the details really helps, whether it's the points in objects or the many elements that combine to make a sim's personality. In that I think of what sort of person do I want that sim to be and lay out the 25 points accordingly. You don't need to use all 25, either. For example Lilith Pleasant has only 21, which goes a long way to explain the mess she's in. TS2 has what TS4 only promises, but it's up to the player how much advantage of that one takes.

I can see that you really like sims 2 but if they ever did a remake is there anything you would want changed?
    I know its an older game but I still think talking about what we like and dislike still matters
    because who knows what the next game is gonna be like

I think that must be only for Lilith Pleasant because I tried that and the game make you use all the points
    when making a sim if you don't it will say you haven't use all point please use them
    Yes, it whines, but you can still override. At least I could the last time I tried it, which was some years ago when I wanted a truly nasty louse for the villian in a story I was doing at the time. That was in disk days, so may be different with UC.
    Yes, it whines, but you can still override. At least I could the last time I tried it, which was some years ago when I wanted a truly nasty louse for the villian in a story I was doing at the time. That was in disk days, so may be different with UC.

oh it sounds cool wish I could still do it maybe they'll have something like that next sims game @Oldeseadogge
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I love lots of things about TS2, but here are the things I don't like about it:

1) I love the fine details in TS2 but because I like playing the whole world and the other worlds attached to the home world - in other words, having my sim go out and visit and use as much of the community lots and visiting other sims as possible, I'm often faced with a TON of loading screens. So much so that pretty soon, I feel like screaming at having to see one more loading screen.

2) There is a serious time disparity if not all the sims in the household go out together to one place. I really hate that I can't manage all the sims in the household and have them go to different places at once and I can't even manage the ones who stay home. The ones I do send out have their needs degrade as they go about doing the things I want them to do outside their home lot. By the time I send them home, they're exhausted, but at least they got things done. Meanwhile, the sims I have at home are still fresh with their needs filled but haven't done anything because I can't instruct them to.

3) I love Open For Business but I don't like micromanaging my sims' employees. I don't want to have to keep track of giving them breaks and their leveling up in their specialty takes too long. I love in TS3 that all that is done away with.

So for those reasons, which to me are pretty major, I don't play TS2 anywhere near as much as I do TS3. I feel TS3 is the most flexible of all the iterations where you can adjust it to your playing style - even rotational! And I think it is even better because you can manage everyone in a household all at the same time. No time disparities among them! Also, with the NRAAS Story Progression mod, rotational play can be done and I think even better because you can configure everything just the way you want. You don't want spouses cheating on each other while your playing some other household? Don't want them changing jobs? Don't want them skilling up? Etc? You can set all that up and more in that mod!

What I really hope for TS5 (but I'm starting to doubt it given what the CEO just said about wanting to make it an online multiplayer game), is that it would have the fine details of TS2, the open world and flexibility of TS3, and the building features from TS4 like being able to move a building around a lot, etc., plus remaking Makin' Magic and Superstar from TS1.
    edited February 2020
    @ClarionOfJoy
    3) I love Open For Business but I don't like micromanaging my sims' employees. I don't want to have to keep track of giving them breaks and their leveling up in their specialty takes too long. I love in TS3 that all that is done away with.
    I never tried the OFB part when I played Sims 2 but it’s obvious lots of people loved that pack. I’ve always wondered if I would have too and reading this... It sounds as if you’re sort of obliged to do certain things and if there’s one thing I love about this franchise (and I only know one version properly, the third one) it’s that I’m not obliged to do anything. Everything’s my own choice, my own decision. Even WA, that I frequently see labeled as too RPG, entirely leaves it to me whether I want to do adventures or not. And if I do adventures, how much time I take to do them. I could even send my sim home in the middle of a tomb when he’s a teen and return with him as an elder and finish it if I’d want to. That’s what I like.
    5JZ57S6.png
    @ClarionOfJoy
    I never tried the OFB part when I played Sims 2 but it’s obvious lots of people loved that pack. I’ve always wondered if I would have too and reading this... It sounds as if you’re sort of obliged to do certain things and if there’s one thing I love about this franchise (and I only know one version properly, the third one) it’s that I’m not obliged to do anything. Everything’s my own choice, my own decision. Even WA, that I frequently see labeled as too RPG, entirely leaves it to me whether I want to do adventures or not. And if I do adventures, how much time I take to do them. I could even send my sim home in the middle of a tomb when he’s a teen and return with him as an elder and finish it if I’d want to. That’s what I like.

I think you would have liked the Open For Business pack because the system makes it so easy to set up your stores and you can sell most anything unlike with the Savvy Seller set for TS3 (fortunately mods fix this). I really loved that it had several roles: the salesperson who schmoozes the customers and tries to convince them to buy items the customer is interested in, the stock person who takes inventory and refills the shelves (so long as there is stock already made), and the cashier who tallies up purchases for customers. You can also hire people to make the products so your active sims can do other things. You can also choose one of your employees to train as a manager so that you can leave the business to that sim and free your active sims to start other businesses. Also, the customers line up at the cash register which just adds to the immersion of the shopping experience. I so love all that!

But the things that I had mentioned in my previous post kind of spoils all that, because the micromanagement of employees break the smooth flow of the whole operation. For example, if a cashier is just learning to run the cash register, they take a long time to ring up each customer, which results in the waiting line getting longer and customers growing impatient and perhaps giving up and leaving. For TS5, if they ever implement a retail system again, I think the combination of TS2 retail system with TS3's employee system (who pretty much don't need supervision or breaks and don't need to level up, plus if the employee can't come in to work, a temp steps in for the day!) would be great.

I don't know if you use these mods, but here are some mods I use:

Ani's Savvier Seller mod:

Ani had also made many other mods for TS3 that mimic gameplay from TS2 such as the Apartment mod (for TS2 like apartments!!!), more retail mods such as Shop For Clothes mods that turn the TS3 clothing rack and pedestal into retail objects from which sims can buy clothes from (so you can set up a proper clothes store). I also love her Business as Unusual mod - the normal only has one sim who makes and serves the food, but her mod splits the role up for two sims so that there is a chef and a foodserver. Plus many other useful things. I absolutely love her mods!

Ani's Mods at NRAAS.net
    NRAAS mods are listed first. Please scroll down to her section of mods.

Ani's Sims
    Ani's channel that demos her mods.

I forgot to mention that TS2 allows you to open a business in your own home whereas TS3 doesn't. BUT there are mods to fix that! Here is the way you can set up a working retail business on your sim's residential lot and the mods to make that happen:

All the mods you need for it are listed with their links in the video's description area. I especially love Inge's OFB ticket machine for TS3 because that mod causes customers to come to your residential lot and work just like the ticket machine in TS2. You can even make money just charging sims for visiting your sim's home!

You should also check out Sandy's Around The Sims 3 that has amazing functional objects for your retail and food businesses.

Anyway, I've gone overboard talking about all this. But in short there is a lot to like about TS2's Open For Business EP, but I think the mods for TS3 have made up for quite a lot of it if you can't or don't play TS2 and does away with the things I didn't like about OFB.
    @ClarionOfJoy Thanks! Yes, that does sound awesome. I'm going to watch those video's, see if that's for me. With an upcoming farmer in my game this might be very interesting.
    5JZ57S6.png
    @ClarionOfJoy Thanks! Yes, that does sound awesome. I'm going to watch those video's, see if that's for me. With an upcoming farmer in my game this might be very interesting.

The videos I posted are really helpful in showing how all the mods work together with each other - Ani's YouTube channel only show a barebones demonstration of individual mods but you get more information about each one.

Hope you post about your farmer's farm and possible store! I think they will be great like all your other builds!

The videos I posted are really helpful in showing how all the mods work together with each other - Ani's YouTube channel only show a barebones demonstration of individual mods but you get more information about each one.

Hope you post about your farmer's farm and possible store! I think they will be great like all your other builds!
    Thanks 😊 And I will!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,120 Member
    The Sims & Sims 2 were unknown,
    only Sims 3 & 4 week known.
    Also, Sims 3 & were the only Sims games that my daughter & I played.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,464 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    The Sims & Sims 2 were unknown,
    only Sims 3 & 4 week known.
    Also, Sims 3 & were the only Sims games that my daughter & I played.

I think. like anything else, the first experience with something is the strongest. You only played 3 & 4. I began my Odyssey with Sims2 and while I preferred it over Sims3 in many ways, I can see today how it is limited in its own way. Mind you, my grown daughter used to play The Sims and loved it. She was totally and by far blown away at the revolutionary concept that Sims2 was. I hoped for as much when I made the switch to Sims3. I was grossly disappointed. The Sims, themselves, even on autonomous, failed to behave in a quirky manner. Heck, they wouldn't even chat at the dining room table without my having to do so manually. I called them wooden. So much for the smarter AI we were promised. I felt betrayed. I can do without the open world, but I can't abide the lack of animated behavior from the Sims, themselves.

Now, come Sims4, the Sims, while not the same in their quirkiness, are lively on their own again. And thanks to the mods I use and the CAS, I can't go back and enjoy Sims2 anymore. I love having the celebrity effect, which is greatly improved over the one in Sim3, as you might have noticed if you have GF.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/