Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are the mods you find essential?

Comments

• GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited February 2020
    Aside from my Nraas mods that I can't imagine my game without (MC, Overwatch, Errortrap, Traveler, and Relativity), I also have quite a few quality of life mods.

Set the Table & Call to Meal - Makes meal times so much better and more realistic
    http://modthesims.info/d/535651/update-5-jul-2016-set-the-table-amp-call-to-meal.html

Sim Outfit Changing Script - Sims show up wearing the most random things. I use this one constantly when I play.
    http://modthesims.info/d/466782/sim-outfit-changing-script-new-version-10-31-2013.html

User Directed Scolding + Punishment Tweaks - Generations is a great pack that impacts a lot of things. But, the more control I have over my game, the better.
    http://modthesims.info/d/533906/update-5-jan-2016-user-directed-scolding-other-punishment-tweaks.html

Study Skills Online - Nice for convenience
    http://modthesims.info/d/478271/study-skills-online-v37-november-19th-2014.html

All Ingredients and Fish Buyable from Grocery Store - I don't want to have to travel to another country to get some grapes.
    http://modthesims.info/d/536351/all-ingredients-and-fish-buyable-from-grocery-store.html

Your Party Your Way Buffet Tables - So, it may be a bit of fluff, but this one's essential for me because my sims throw a lot of parties and I like to make community lots, so I use the buffet table often. I got super tired of always only having stuffed turkey, cookies, and salad.
    http://modthesims.info/d/553058/your-party-your-way-buffet-tables.html
    Post edited by GabbyGirlJ on
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    Some of my essentials were already mentioned (especially the set the table & call to meal one), but here are just a few more that I'd use for my game:

But first and for all, Nraas Overwatch, seriously.
    https://www.nraas.net/community/Overwatch

This mod which enables sims to relieve their bladders when taking a shower is a lifesaver, in my opinion.
    http://modthesims.info/d/512828/relieve-bladder-in-the-shower.html

Oh, and this camera mod too. Very useful for taking screenshots from various angles for storytellers. :+1:
    http://modthesims.info/d/345987/no-drift-lower-level-free-cam-camera-mod-updated-for-island-paradise-patch-1-55.html
    MTS_aikeaguinea-934020-cameramodpreview.jpg

Whilst not necessarily "essential", I do appreciate this immersive mod on Nraas which prevents your sim from "fridge shopping". Without this mod, I rarely ever send my sims over to the local supermarket rabbithole for groceries. I'd recommend this mod if you're up for the additional challenge it brings. :D
    https://www.nraas.net/community/No-Fridge-Shopping
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2020
    @igazor LOL
    Archivist wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Simply change their outfit. Mastercontroller’s options are numerous and everything I always missed when playing the game.
    Yup, I used to do that manually with MC. Now I don't have to. :)
    That’s true (must admit I do like them to wear it during fights because it shows how good they are at it). I’m often annoyed by sims wearing the wrong outfits anyway. Like, they tend to wear their posh clothes days and days after a party? And all the employees in my mall in IP showed up in swimwear. So happy I can just change that now. Plus it fixed the issue where mermaids swim around with two scaled legs instead of a tail (because that turns out to be an outfit issue as well).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Bluegenjutsu's Autonomous Romance Mod (from Sims Asylum), although not necessarily essential, is one I wouldn't consider playing without. It comes in several flavours and I have the one that allows teens-elders to Ask to go Steady through to Get Engaged on their own. I don't like to feel like I have forced a romance and would prefer my sims to take care of that for themselves.
  • ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    That’s true (must admit I do like them to wear it during fights because it shows how good they are at it). I’m often annoyed by sims wearing the wrong outfits anyway. Like, they tend to wear their posh clothes days and days after a party? And all the employees in my mall in IP showed up in swimwear. So happy I can just change that now.
    Same here, it takes the immersion out of my game if there are always Sims in the background wearing something nonsensical. MC's Outfit option has been a lifesaver for changing their clothes without a dresser + spinning, but sometimes I get lazy and just want them to dress appropriately without my help. :lol:
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Archivist wrote: »
    That’s true (must admit I do like them to wear it during fights because it shows how good they are at it). I’m often annoyed by sims wearing the wrong outfits anyway. Like, they tend to wear their posh clothes days and days after a party? And all the employees in my mall in IP showed up in swimwear. So happy I can just change that now.
    Same here, it takes the immersion out of my game if there are always Sims in the background wearing something nonsensical. MC's Outfit option has been a lifesaver for changing their clothes without a dresser + spinning, but sometimes I get lazy and just want them to dress appropriately without my help. :lol:
    Oh, yes, I share that laziness lol.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    Awesome thread! I haven’t played 3 in a very long time. I do have the NRAAS mods but the others I don’t. Will be downloading some as ive gone back to this amazing game. I’m about to download the SV 2020 as I’ve heard it minimizes if not completely removes most of the routing issues that cause performance issues!

I’m seriously so excited to get back to this game! Tomb adventuring, into the future, ambitions omg just sooo much fun stuff not to mention actual wants and traits that influence sim behaviors.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    JoBass24us wrote: »
    Awesome thread! I haven’t played 3 in a very long time. I do have the NRAAS mods but the others I don’t. Will be downloading some as ive gone back to this amazing game. I’m about to download the SV 2020 as I’ve heard it minimizes if not completely removes most of the routing issues that cause performance issues!

I’m seriously so excited to get back to this game! Tomb adventuring, into the future, ambitions omg just sooo much fun stuff not to mention actual wants and traits that influence sim behaviors.

@JoBass24us do you have a link for this sv 2020 mod?
    telmarina wrote: »

@JoBass24us do you have a link for this sv 2020 mod?

https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=31158

I just started playing with the save and so far so good! I used to play with one called sunset valley final edition and though I liked it cause it was updated to expand and include all eps it suffered from routing issues and it didn’t have the subway system so the greater just placed multiple festival grounds and school and it stuttered and lagged my game heavily. So far this one plays very smoothly!
    Thanks @GraceyManor and @JoBass24us !
    It says it's highly recomended to have all ep's... i'm missing pets, supernatural, showtime, isla paradiso and into the future... well, some of them i was already thinking on buying but others don't interest me that much (while i can get them for 3-4 euros, so that's not a problem...).
    But i have some doubts i would apreciate if you could help me with: can i get rid of all supernatural beings even buying the sn ep? (maybe with nraas master controler...?) What interesting gameplay can i have with this ep if im not into supernaturals? Will i be able to use all or almost all isla paradiso features in this world?
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    @telmarina
    You can disable supernaturals in the game's settings.The only one I don't think you can disable is zombies that
    come out on the full moon.

You can use isle paradiso features in anyway worlds, but it depends on if the builder added the required lots/items such as house boats.They require docks, so if the world doesn't have docks, you can't place houseboats. And you can go snorkling in any world, but if you want to go diving, the world has to have dive spots.Sail boats, row boats, etc can be used in any world that has oceans, etc and so fourth.

If your not really into supernatural/magical creatures, it would probably be best to avoid that pack.I love supernatural, though its one of my favorites.
    Thanks @GraceyManor !
    edited March 2020
    telmarina wrote: »
    Thanks @GraceyManor and @JoBass24us !
    It says it's highly recomended to have all ep's... i'm missing pets, supernatural, showtime, isla paradiso and into the future... well, some of them i was already thinking on buying but others don't interest me that much (while i can get them for 3-4 euros, so that's not a problem...).
    But i have some doubts i would apreciate if you could help me with: can i get rid of all supernatural beings even buying the sn ep? (maybe with nraas master controler...?) What interesting gameplay can i have with this ep if im not into supernaturals? Will i be able to use all or almost all isla paradiso features in this world?

Yes, Sunset Valley 2020 requires all packs and yes you can disable all supernaturals from the options menu. The creator offers two saves “vanilla” and “chocolate”. If you head over to the link he does explain them very well. The previous poster mentioned you couldn’t disable zombies, but you absolutely can. You just have adjust the moon cycle to anything other than full moon which is when they show.
    For me, SN offered some pretty cool build/buy objects I love such as the planting pots and rocking chairs. IP has deep sea diving which I adore and all the water sports and crafts such as wave runners. These can be used in this map as the creator has provided the three diving spots that cane with IP and of course there’s plenty of open water for the other activities. I love all the ep’s. I find they all provide something I like in game and this even tho I share your view on the sups which I don’t care to play with. Basically, the vanilla version of the map has no sups as premades. If you toggle that off in options they won’t generate. This version also includes premades from other beloved worlds. The chocolate one is sup heavy.

ETA: The world also requires all stuff packs too. I do think you should go for them, can’t go wrong especially for the price. 😊
    edited March 2020
    @JoBass24us
    Hi, its always best to use tagging instead of quoting.So you don't tag every single person that the original poster
    was talking to lol.
    he previous poster mentioned you couldn’t disable zombies, but you absolutely can. You just have adjust the moon cycle to anything other than full moon which is when they show.

That is the only way you can do it.But there isn't a setting in the game settings to disable it.And if you disable full moon, then you don't get the moodlets such as "Kissed under a full moon" or werewolf transformations(automatically, you can always transform them yourself)

So if you want the moon, but not the zombies, then no, there's no way to disable them.If you don't mind giving up the full moon, then yes you can get rid of the annoying zombies that way.
    @GraceyManor yes, but I believe they said they didn’t care about the sups at all which is why offered that. I don’t care for them either so this works for me. As far as the moodlet goes, I can live without it so I can keep my game free of any sups 😊
    edited March 2020
    @GraceyManor and @JoBass24us thank you very much for your great imput! I'm very tempted to buy the remainig packs. I absolutelly love sims 3. Years go and years come and i value more and more this iteration :)

*i think I'll pass on the full moon. I really don't care about supernaturals. Btw, can i improve in alchemy skill even with witches off? Is the skill and the life form related so that you can't do one without the other?
    edited March 2020
    @telmarina no the skill is not dependent on a life state! You can pursue it with a human sim. Tho werewolf’s have an easier time find ingredients.

I just came back to TS3 after playing 4 for a long time and like you I have this new found love and appreciation for this game and how much it provides! I’m currently in China making bank! Lol my sims are poor so finding collectibles is quite lucrative lol.
    @telmarina
    Yeah, you don't have to be a witch to use the Alchemy station.=) Its one of my favorite objects in game.(I do play with witches though, just cause I like to toadify sims... :D ) I haven't actually used the station in a while though, so I don't know all of the potions you can do.
    @JoBass24us
    There's so much in sims 3 that I haven't discovered yet.
    Every day I spot something new lol.
    I read somewhere that with one of the wardrobes a sim can go on a narnia like adventure(of course you can't see it but still)
    Good luck playing the tombs! I always lose my patience with them...and cheat.XD
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    edited March 2020
    Witches just level alchemy much faster than others. The elixirs are useful for everyone though. Even the first one you learn, the Vial of Bliss, is already very useful for filling fun and social moodlets. For witches, the ingredient (any food item) comes free (they can summon apples and often do so autonomously), but it's easy for anyone with a garden. The Invigorating Elixir comes also at level 1 and fills your energy bar to some extent. Both elixirs have even better versions at higher levels. There are 44 elixirs available to make, and quite a few of them have their uses.

The combination of witch and alchemy can be considered cheaty. You have full control of all needs, can clean and repair everything with a single spell, upgrade objects, make friends and enemies at will, etc. You don't really need anything else, except gardening.
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    Many of the premade sims in Moonlight Falls, the town that comes with Supernatural expansion, are supernatural beings already. For non mod users who want to change all, or some of them, into human sims, there is a rather effective testingcheat described here at Carl's.

Also Grims lovely pet Emmie has her own way of instantly curing zombies! :)

@JoBass24us - Photobucket has really made a blurry mess of your signature picture :s:rage:
    @SuzyCue72 really? I haven’t payed any attention towards it. It’s an old pic I took like 4 years ago while playing sims 4. Will have to find time to replace it lol 😆
    @JoBass24us
    There's so much in sims 3 that I haven't discovered yet.
    Every day I spot something new lol.
    I read somewhere that with one of the wardrobes a sim can go on a narnia like adventure(of course you can't see it but still)
    Good luck playing the tombs! I always lose my patience with them...and cheat.XD

I totally get it. I e had this game and all its expansions since their respective releases and I’m also discovering new things! It’s why I love it! The traits, and I always give a negative trait to all my sims, really do such a great job at providing unexpected situations! I’ve found myself laughing so hard lately.

The tombs can be a challenge but I do like the opportunity to take a break from everyday sim life to do something different. I’ll get thru those since I haven’t played them since they came out and then it’s in to ITF stuff! Which will be sooo much fun.

What sabe are you playing recently? I’ll have to figure out the photobucket issue I have but I’ll post screens when I do. My current sim in China had the brood trait so he Levite’s collects the stuff I ask him too and then broods over the existence of it all! It’s funny as heck! 😂

• TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    edited March 2020
    SuzyCue72 really? I haven’t payed any attention towards it. It’s an old pic I took like 4 years ago while playing sims 4. Will have to find time to replace it lol 😆
    It's not the fault of the pic, but of the image site you use for it. Look for a different one or pay the fee they ask for nowadays. Most people do the former.