Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Not enough community involvement in Stuff Pack 2

Comments

• ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    It's too late for this now, but I must say, I hope if there's ever a community stuff pack 3, that it's done differently than this one. After seeing some responses from the art style and CAS votes, I agree with the OP now more than ever in that I think there needs to be way more interaction between the fans and the staff working on the pack.

It seems that all of the votes so far have been, show what's going to be voted on a week in advance with a few details, vote starts the following Monday, and that's it. Then we get a messaging saying, "well now the team is gonna take these results and work on the next thing", and it's silence for weeks before the process begins anew. Like the OP said, all we see are near finalized concepts for room designs and clothing when it's all be decided on and are just given the option to pick what we want. But why weren't the concept designs posted when they were still in progress and shown to the community beforehand? Then we could have given feedback on say, what we thought was fitting to even be included in a vote or not. 92 clothing options and a lot of the stuff shown looked really similar to stuff already available in one pack or another. I personally don't get why some of these were even options, but ignoring just my opinion, why couldn't the artists have posted these ideas as concepts far before the vote and asked us, "Here's what we're working on, what do you think of these options for kids? for adults? for men?" "are there other things you'd like to see added, like socks or gloves?" "do any not look fitting for the winning theme?", etc and so on. Then it's possible that we wouldn't have even had to bother with 92 items and we could have focused on a more limited selection and maybe even gotten more diversity from the options depending on what the majority preferred.

And I'm sure people are just gonna say, "well the community voted for it, so it's on us". In a way, yes I agree. But at the same time, again, if a lot of this stuff was never accepted into the final vote in the first place, it wouldn't have ever been available to be voted on. At the very least we should have been able to give feedback on the items being worked on before they were finalized and sent out to be voted on. Same with the style vote, where I saw some people who didn't like any of the options. I think we should have been able to help decide that too. They could have said, "Okay we're gonna come up with 3 styles for the pack to be voted on. We're thinking of a, b, and c. What do you all think?"

There's also the lack of communication on what exactly is being voted on. I know it often seems obvious, but I saw a lot of people who voted for specific art styles, based on the objects in the room or the associated CAS even though none of it was guaranteed for the actual pack (I don't think any of the example DIY CAS actually ended up winning in the end). And the CAS vote, where people weren't sure if we were voting for items that could actually be knit or not (but apparently it's a mix of both). There was a lack of clarity that was never addressed until after the respected votes were done. Again, that should have been specified beforehand.

I'm not posting this because I'm disappointed with how this pack is turning out. I'm actually not. I like the DIY style and I was actually not all too disappointed with the CAS that won. I'm not even saying these suggestions would have altered the votes, because it's totally possible that it wouldn't and that's fine. But, that not's really my point. Regardless, I still think all of this could have been done better and given the community more actual involvement. And like I said, if there is ever another community pack that they execute it a little differently.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    It's too late for this now, but I must say, I hope if there's ever a community stuff pack 3, that it's done differently than this one. After seeing some responses from the art style and CAS votes, I agree with the OP now more than ever in that I think there needs to be way more interaction between the fans and the staff working on the pack.

It seems that all of the votes so far have been, show what's going to be voted on a week in advance with a few details, vote starts the following Monday, and that's it. Then we get a messaging saying, "well now the team is gonna take these results and work on the next thing", and it's silence for weeks before the process begins anew. Like the OP said, all we see are near finalized concepts for room designs and clothing when it's all be decided on and are just given the option to pick what we want. But why weren't the concept designs posted when they were still in progress and shown to the community beforehand? Then we could have given feedback on say, what we thought was fitting to even be included in a vote or not. 92 clothing options and a lot of the stuff shown looked really similar to stuff already available in one pack or another. I personally don't get why some of these were even options, but ignoring just my opinion, why couldn't the artists have posted these ideas as concepts far before the vote and asked us, "Here's what we're working on, what do you think of these options for kids? for adults? for men?" "are there other things you'd like to see added, like socks or gloves?" "do any not look fitting for the winning theme?", etc and so on. Then it's possible that we wouldn't have even had to bother with 92 items and we could have focused on a more limited selection and maybe even gotten more diversity from the options depending on what the majority preferred.

And I'm sure people are just gonna say, "well the community voted for it, so it's on us". In a way, yes I agree. But at the same time, again, if a lot of this stuff was never accepted into the final vote in the first place, it wouldn't have ever been available to be voted on. At the very least we should have been able to give feedback on the items being worked on before they were finalized and sent out to be voted on. Same with the style vote, where I saw some people who didn't like any of the options. I think we should have been able to help decide that too. They could have said, "Okay we're gonna come up with 3 styles for the pack to be voted on. We're thinking of a, b, and c. What do you all think?"

There's also the lack of communication on what exactly is being voted on. I know it often seems obvious, but I saw a lot of people who voted for specific art styles, based on the objects in the room or the associated CAS even though none of it was guaranteed for the actual pack (I don't think any of the example DIY CAS actually ended up winning in the end). And the CAS vote, where people weren't sure if we were voting for items that could actually be knit or not (but apparently it's a mix of both). There was a lack of clarity that was never addressed until after the respected votes were done. Again, that should have been specified beforehand.

I'm not posting this because I'm disappointed with how this pack is turning out. I'm actually not. I like the DIY style and I was actually not all too disappointed with the CAS that won. I'm not even saying these suggestions would have altered the votes, because it's totally possible that it wouldn't and that's fine. But, that not's really my point. Regardless, I still think all of this could have been done better and given the community more actual involvement. And like I said, if there is ever another community pack that they execute it a little differently.

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I would just because I'm a curious woman who loves numbers.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Glass fabrication would have been MUCH cooler, and sounds way more exciting. Stained glass windows and lights? Glass art sculptures? Snow globes? Glass walls? I have so many ideas, and now I have to be 80 and knit. But I'm a sucker and I'll buy the pack anyway.

Or you could be 45 and knit... or 30 and knit... or 12 and knit...

Please stop thinking knitting is just for old people. It's not. It never has been, except in some people's ageist minds.

I agree! My 25 year old crochets, and she started as a preteen. I’m in my 60’s and haven’t crochet or embroidered since I was a teen, although I did like the granny chic because I remember one of my grandmothers crocheting, and my mother too.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I didn't have this feeling with the laundry pack as much but so far with this sp I can't help but feeling that the votes are a bit rigged. I can't shake the idea for example that they were always going to make a knitting pack, from the very beginning. And I for one don't believe that the results of the cas vote are representative of the way people voted. I can't imagine the votes to have been this balanced at all (and especially, again, include so much adult female stuff). If people voted for more hats and kids / male / toddler items it's because they wanted those more, not because they wanted the dev team to pick favorites from each category .. idk if I express myself very clearly since I'm really tired but everything about these votes has felt off so far. Way more than last time. Or maybe I'm just not on good terms with the team right now. Who knows.
  • SdnPlyr8SdnPlyr8 Posts: 14 New Member
    > @SimTrippy said:
    > I can't help but feeling that the votes are a bit rigged.

Eh, I don't think that's the case. I feel like this pack is very much in line with how Laundry Day was handled. I just think some of us are disappointed to learn how absolutely boring this community is. I mean I'm OLD, been playing the Sims from literally day 1, with real life toddlers at my feet who are now in college, and I was bummed out at both laundry ( I wanted the death pack), and now knitting. Seriously? Knitting? I crochet once in a while, but I don't want to watch my sims do that either. Laundry redeemed itself with awesome build/buy and CAS, so I do own that even though I never use actual laundry game play. However this will probably be a pass for me, judging on these last couple of votes.
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    I don't think the vote was rigged; I do think that the gurus are trying to choose a wider variety of CAS items than the raw vote wanted. That may just be my perception based on the tastes of forum members, however.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I would just because I'm a curious woman who loves numbers.

Same. I'm curious to see where certain items (*cough* viking hat *cough*) ended up in the final tally of things. On the other hand, I can see a reason not to release the list because they did make one substitution, and I can see some people asking/demanding why they didn't sub in others if the votes were high enough. (I checked the wording. They only made the one.)
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    SdnPlyr8 wrote: »
    > @SimTrippy said:
    > I can't help but feeling that the votes are a bit rigged.

Eh, I don't think that's the case. I feel like this pack is very much in line with how Laundry Day was handled. I just think some of us are disappointed to learn how absolutely boring this community is. I mean I'm OLD, been playing the Sims from literally day 1, with real life toddlers at my feet who are now in college, and I was bummed out at both laundry ( I wanted the death pack), and now knitting. Seriously? Knitting? I crochet once in a while, but I don't want to watch my sims do that either. Laundry redeemed itself with awesome build/buy and CAS, so I do own that even though I never use actual laundry game play. However this will probably be a pass for me, judging on these last couple of votes.

I'm not sure you're right but this definitely made me chuckle 😂
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    I always knew arts&crafts was gonna win, I am fine with that but I hate that they dangled something like Happy Haunts in front of out noses and now it might be gone forever :(
    Don't think the votes are rigged though, it just that the more realistic and daytoday stuff seems to interest most players, which is fine by me.
    What I would wish for the next community SP to have no options like that, like make all the options occult centered, or all science centered, have an SP for the other niches to vote on, cause as soon as something day-to-day is an option (Laundry, Knitting) it's sure to win, so the others don't even stand a chance and that is kinda unfair, especially since the normal SPs have now won 2x which is okay but it feels kinda useless to have a vote if it is that predictable.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Same. I'm curious to see where certain items (*cough* viking hat *cough*) ended up in the final tally of things. On the other hand, I can see a reason not to release the list because they did make one substitution, and I can see some people asking/demanding why they didn't sub in others if the votes were high enough. (I checked the wording. They only made the one.)
    Same that viking hat was awesome. I'm also curious where the succulent and llama hats ranked too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • LaniNeptuneLaniNeptune Posts: 19 Member
    Hello Everyone,
    This was my first Stuff Pack vote because I came to The Sims 4 much later. I've played The Sims since The Sims 1 and have a lot of the console games, but when I saw what The Sims 4 looked like I stayed with The Sims 2 & 3.
    I had many problems with this survey, the survey doesn't show up when I open the game, I too feel like it was pushed towards knitting, and I find the CAS situation sad for a knitting pack. For the love of cheese where are the hats?!? I have enjoyed reading community comments, seeing what others have chosen, and just the general non-jerk vibe of the discussions, so I guess hizzah for the community and stuffpack.
  • ZhakiraPZhakiraP Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited March 2020
    Post edited by ZhakiraP on
    53218870167_a5d450f1db_h.jpg
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Well I don't know. I didn't even bother voting this time, after Laundry won last time. I am obviously a minority and the stuff I like would never win anyway.
    What I am curious about tho is if this actually resonates with the enormous majority of Simmers, the ones NOT on these forums?

There was a game many years back that was very popular (NOT the Sims). The sequel flopped badly and only sold about 220 000 copies world wide.
    About three years ago a kickstarter started to make the final third game in the series and they got over 200 000 backers immediately, which made Sony step in and sponsor the project.
    Then the game, when released, sold 200 000 copies.
    Turns out that only those 200 000 who bought the first sequel wanted a new one, and jumped on the chance... But nobody else in the entire world did.

My point here is... Will a knitting pack really sell well? Or is it just a pet project for a subset of Sim forum visitors?
    Of course most probably are like me and won't vote with out wallets because there is at least one cool dress or top in the CAS items and so I buy it anyway and never use it (I bought the Magic pack and I have yet to even visit the world. I just wanted it for the leather dress with the corset).
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Well I don't know. I didn't even bother voting this time, after Laundry won last time. I am obviously a minority and the stuff I like would never win anyway.
    What I am curious about tho is if this actually resonates with the enormous majority of Simmers, the ones NOT on these forums?

There was a game many years back that was very popular (NOT the Sims). The sequel flopped badly and only sold about 220 000 copies world wide.
    About three years ago a kickstarter started to make the final third game in the series and they got over 200 000 backers immediately, which made Sony step in and sponsor the project.
    Turns out that only those 200 000 who bought the first sequel wanted a new one, and jumped on the chance... But nobody else in the entire world did.

My point here is... Will a knitting pack really sell well? Or is it just a pet project for a subset of Sim forum visitors?
    Of course most probably are like me and won't vote with out wallets because there is at least one cool dress or top in the CAS items and so I buy it anyway and never use it (I bought the Magic pack and I have yet to even visit the world. I just wanted it for the leather dress with the corset).

The link to vote was posted in game, plus on twitter as well as here on the forums.

If it had been up to the forums, It probably would have either been Happy Haunts, or if Arts and Crafts and Knitting still won, then Granny Chic would probably have been the winning art style - and there's still a lot of Granny Chic items in the current items vote.

So the forums aren't as representative of Sims players as a whole as it sometimes seems.

(and again, for the record, I picked Arts and Crafts over Happy Haunts because I would have been happy with any of the five gameplay options for Arts and Crafts, and only three of the gameplay elements in Happy Haunts. I picked Knitting because Sewing wasn't an option. and I picked DIY delight because I thought it was the most "crafty plum" crafting room of the three styles - and I see this as an Arts and Crafts pack, not just a knitting pack.)

The link to vote was posted in game, plus on twitter as well as here on the forums.

If it had been up to the forums, It probably would have either been Happy Haunts, or if Arts and Crafts and Knitting still won, then Granny Chic would probably have been the winning art style - and there's still a lot of Granny Chic items in the current items vote.

So the forums aren't as representative of Sims players as a whole as it sometimes seems.

(and again, for the record, I picked Arts and Crafts over Happy Haunts because I would have been happy with any of the five gameplay options for Arts and Crafts, and only three of the gameplay elements in Happy Haunts. I picked Knitting because Sewing wasn't an option. and I picked DIY delight because I thought it was the most "crafty plum" crafting room of the three styles - and I see this as an Arts and Crafts pack, not just a knitting pack.)

It's also in the game, right when you load it up. Whether you are on the forums or not, you have the opportunity to vote. This isn't a situation where a Guru has a Q&A on Twitter and the only way to get a response is to hope someone who has a forum account and Twitter posts everything for you.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

Ah. Okay. I closed my twitter account years ago thanks to well Twitter being Twitter and I couldn't stop getting in fights with all the truly horrible people populating it. Also I never pay attention to the start screen, I just click the big "PLAY" button and go on.

Anyway though... I know me, I will buy this and so EAs statistics will think I am a happy customer despite not caring for it, just like I did with Strangerville, Laundry Day, My First Pet Stuff (which was more interesting than this, at least) or The Magic One which I don't remember the name of right now. As I said I have never even visited that world, I bought the pack for the CAS items only.

It just annoys me too much when I have to start filtering builds because I lack content, so I just cought up the money.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • simlicious2015simlicious2015 Posts: 373 Member
    Unfortunately the knitting pack is so boring ... We could have got ghost hunters and fortune tellers instead.

I agree with you 10000% , like, who asked for this? This shouldn't even be a pack, it should just be updated in a patch or something...what a waste... :s
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    @nerdfashion I hope they can tackle this want in the color swatches as well, a little coloer/design can change an object so much.
    I guess if it was
    You should see the comments when DIY was released as the winner. People were screaming that it wasn't Granny because they wanted to make this an elders pack.

Yeah I guess if it was more themed as an elders pack I would be happier. Finally something for them! As it is, I'm looking on the bright side that my Mommy Blogger sims just got a new craft room.

I hope that we'll still get the Retirement Home/Bingo/"Generations" for Elders GP, they lack so much gameplay that I jsut sit and wait their death in SIms 4.

and here I think that being forced into a retirement home and expected to play bingo just because I didn't die young, sounds like waiting for my death, only eagerly! How awfully stereotyping!
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • ladybugjosie23ladybugjosie23 Posts: 166 Member
    Unfortunately the knitting pack is so boring ... We could have got ghost hunters and fortune tellers instead.

I agree with you 10000% , like, who asked for this? This shouldn't even be a pack, it should just be updated in a patch or something...what a waste... :s

people have different playing styles... I personally by far prefer knitting and crafting items than fortune tellers or ghost hunters... both things are something i would never use the slightest or only buy if i liked some of the build it CAS...

so where you find this boring, i find ghosts boring... plus there are already ghosts in the game, why do i need more? that is how i feel, where you think the kitting should just be a patch in update... (and i am not even particular a big fan of the knitting... i just would prefer it over ghosts or fortune tellers)... so who asked for this? it would be other people did... clearly some voted for it... even if you didnt... we all play differently and prefer different things... where you hate it, i know many who like it... Crafting and knitting is actually very in among younger people these days... i have a lot of friends and family memembers many even younger than I, who knit or do similar craft... there are many series and videos and such about it online... i assume that is why many others than people on the forum wanted it...
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member

"who asked for this"

idk, the people who voted for, and wanted knitting.

I mean, it literally won a poll so I guess a lot of people wanted it.
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    edited May 2020
    Not sure why people say there wasn't enough communication about this pack. They've even posted about regularly over on the sims subreddit, which is the first time I've seen a simguru in that give of scum and villainy.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    The....people who voted for it ?

• NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited May 2020
    I think yes and no, I think the team probably wanted a variety of things to be in this pack, For example lets just say all the hats were high on votes so possibly the only create a sims essences could of been just hats maybe wouldnt of been a bad thing for some simmers but everyones different, they probably picked a few of the hats that had most votes out of the rest, so we could also have other clothing aswell, they picked the highest voted top etc and the same with build and buy, I dont think its completely rigged