Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Currently working on mod to let dogs climb beds - Any Ideas?

icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
edited July 2018 in General Mods Discussion
Hi. I haven't found any mods that allow dogs to go on beds, so I decided to dabble a bit in modding. This is my first time modding any game so I still have a lot to learn, but I do have programming experience, so I won't have any problems with syntax.

I messed around with the existing XML files and I've come up with something:
Jm57b13.jpg

Here is the package file for what I have so far:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1dcwzwlre5pjeq/icmnfrsh_DogsCanClimbBeds_WIP.package?dl=0

Here's a summary of the changes I made:
  • In the routing.portals.portal_tuning XML, I added a new PortalFlag named "DogBedPortal". I made this separate from the CatSurfacePortal so that dogs can't climb other unintended surfaces, like washing machines and cat condos.
  • In the object_Dog and object_smallDog XML files, I added the DogBedPortal flag in the allowed_portal_flags list for adults and elders.
  • I cloned the portalData_VariableJump_Bed XML files and made them specific to dogs. I put the DogBedPortal flag in the required_flags list.
  • In all of the object_bed XML files, I added the applicable portalData_VariableJump_Bed flag in the portal_data list for testing purposes. I don't have Seasons, Vampires, and MFP, so beds in those packs won't work with what I have. Once I manage to learn the Python code structure, I plan to inject the flag in all the bed XML files for scalability.

Here are some things to note:
1. When big dogs jump on the bed, their hind legs will "land" beyond the edge of the bed, making them appear as if they're floating on air for a short while. I have no idea how to mess with animation files, and I've only done basic rigging in college, so I'm content to let this be.
2. I'm not sure if dogs would climb beds autonomously since this was achieved using the controllable pets mod. I'll have to playtest this a bit to see if they do. Does anyone know how to modify the tuning of pet autonomy?
3. Dogs can't sleep on the bed (or the floor for that matter). Whenever I select the option, I just get an exception reported by the MCCC. Are dogs really unable to use the "Sleep Here" command when clicking on a surface like the floor or a bed?

Number 2 and 3 are my biggest concerns right now. Does anyone know anything about dog autonomy in this game and whether it's possible for them to climb beds on their own? And is there a way to get the "Sleep Here" command to work? This is the exception I got when I selected it: https://pastebin.com/03pZJNf5

I'm not sure if anyone here can help, but I'll ask just in case. I've never posted on MTS or Sims 4 Studio's forum before, so I thought I'd ask here first. :)
Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?

Comments

• MinaiMinai Posts: 704 Member
    Wow amazing!
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I feel like this won't work now because beds have since been updated. :grimace: I'm not sure if I can ever get back to this because I'm in grad school now and am pretty busy. Plus nobody ever answered my question on how to do something using Python, so I got stuck. :\
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Mikado-chanMikado-chan Posts: 108 Member
    It's a pity. I'm waiting for a mod like this since C&D was released. Maybe you'd have had more luck with getting help if you asked on sites like modthesims or sims4studio :frowning:
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    It's a pity. I'm waiting for a mod like this since C&D was released. Maybe you'd have had more luck with getting help if you asked on sites like modthesims or sims4studio :frowning:

I did ask on Sims4studio and nobody replied :\

• BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    This is probably necro posting but since somebody bumped it anyway I just want to say I love the idea of this mod! I hope you find an answer to make it possible!!😅
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • MinaiMinai Posts: 704 Member
    Nah grad school is way more important.
    Great job on the mod.
    This is soely on ea to implement anyway!!