Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Mistakes of the Sims 4

12346...Next

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    If it's true they can't win around here, there are reasons for that. Look at the packs they did create under the nostalgia genre. Take a look at Seasons, it's not as well loved as past Season packs because they didn't do what they did before with snow depth. If they had implemented snow like in the past it would have been a bigger hit wouldn't it? But nope, it's just some FX features that do little for immersion, seasons has always been about immersion, umbrellas don't even work half the time, they went the pc direction and named snowmen, snowpals, the holiday calander, even if a new fun idea, doesn't work right half the time, and the whole family winds up bugged or have to come home or whatever. It doesn't work right, either. It doesn't work right with vacation days, either. So, if they can't win around here it might be because what they do redo in this version doesn't live up to past pack features.

Look at C&D, they can't win around here? Well...it only has cats and dogs how is that living up to the legacy of Pets in either 1, 2 or 3? Then it adding strays everywhere that can't be cured or overtakes a save and only annoys players. It's no wonder they can't win around here.

The vet career was broken right out of the box....a nice idea and new but it doesn't work right half the time. If players are upset with them it's no wonder.

Look at University, broken right out of the box. Some things can't be completed because they are bugged and remain bugged. With university packs people expect dorm building..what did they get? Decorate a room. Ho hum how is that innovative? It's not. It's no wonder people aren't pleased with the packs they redid for this version.

Look at CL, nice idea but players expect to build their own apartment buildings like in 2 nd 3. Can they in TS4? no...how is that innovative and new and exciting to just decorate a predetermined cell?

If their reputation is suffering, it's no one to blame but Maxis. Features that don't work even before you can unwrap a new pack, features that are no longer included, and watered down gameplay that makes the idea of rereleasing previous packs a nightmare and a joke.

Snow depth? Is that what the fuss was about with Seasons? People are complaining about the snow depth? I didn't even notice it was an issue.
    - What's the issue with the umbrellas? I haven't got problems with them.
    - The holiday calendar isn't working? News to me. I use it all the time and not had a problem with it. Likewise the vacation days, not having problems over here.

- Strays have been in every version of pets. Aside from one womrat, or whatever it was in Sims 2 that hardly anybody used (to my knowledge), Sims 2 pets only had Cats and Dogs. I thought the issue was with My First pet Stuff here, not the Cats and Dogs themselves. Or is this just because horses never made a comeback? Because apart from horses, I'm not seeing the legitimate complaint that it doesn't "live up to past pack features", as it were.
    - I haven't worked with the Vet career yet, so I can't comment on that one. What's broken about it, anyway? A few friends of mine don't seem to be having problems?

- How on earth is University broken? I'm playing a game with it now and have been for weeks and it's working just fine. What things can't be completed? I must be missing all these :D
    - Erm, I'm pretty sure you can build your own dorms? The lot tag's right there, I saw it last night. So it's a little more than decorating a room, actually. You can build the dorms in any world, not just Britechester.

I have to wonder though - if the game is so watered down, awful, a joke, 'not a real Sims game' etc: why is it still selling well? Let's be honest, if it wasn't, Maxis wouldn't be continuing it now, would they? So universally, it can't be that bad really. Not in the eyes of the majority who are still enjoying it, getting excited for new packs, 5 years down the line. It's only the forum-dwelling/social media crowd that seem up in arms about every little thing.
    Just my opinion, though. I guess I'm lucky not to be getting these game-breaking bugs so many seem to be getting <3
    Considering the motives people give: it runs smoothly and it looks great. And the packs are cheap. And the next pack is the best ever, have to get it, this will save the game! (until it doesn’t) And CAS is great and building mode too. So yeah, a shame for those who want gameplay and sims with personalities and ways to make it their own game. We’ve suffered long enough though, wouldn’t you agree? Five years.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited January 2020
    If it's true they can't win around here, there are reasons for that. Look at the packs they did create under the nostalgia genre. Take a look at Seasons, it's not as well loved as past Season packs because they didn't do what they did before with snow depth. If they had implemented snow like in the past it would have been a bigger hit wouldn't it? But nope, it's just some FX features that do little for immersion, seasons has always been about immersion, umbrellas don't even work half the time, they went the pc direction and named snowmen, snowpals, the holiday calander, even if a new fun idea, doesn't work right half the time, and the whole family winds up bugged or have to come home or whatever. It doesn't work right, either. It doesn't work right with vacation days, either. So, if they can't win around here it might be because what they do redo in this version doesn't live up to past pack features.

Look at C&D, they can't win around here? Well...it only has cats and dogs how is that living up to the legacy of Pets in either 1, 2 or 3? Then it adding strays everywhere that can't be cured or overtakes a save and only annoys players. It's no wonder they can't win around here.

The vet career was broken right out of the box....a nice idea and new but it doesn't work right half the time. If players are upset with them it's no wonder.

Look at University, broken right out of the box. Some things can't be completed because they are bugged and remain bugged. With university packs people expect dorm building..what did they get? Decorate a room. Ho hum how is that innovative? It's not. It's no wonder people aren't pleased with the packs they redid for this version.

Look at CL, nice idea but players expect to build their own apartment buildings like in 2 nd 3. Can they in TS4? no...how is that innovative and new and exciting to just decorate a predetermined cell?

If their reputation is suffering, it's no one to blame but Maxis. Features that don't work even before you can unwrap a new pack, features that are no longer included, and watered down gameplay that makes the idea of rereleasing previous packs a nightmare and a joke.

Snow depth? Is that what the fuss was about with Seasons? People are complaining about the snow depth? I didn't even notice it was an issue.
    - The holiday calendar isn't working? News to me. I use it all the time and not had a problem with it. Likewise the vacation days, not having problems over here.

- Strays have been in every version of pets. Aside from one womrat, or whatever it was in Sims 2 that hardly anybody used (to my knowledge), Sims 2 pets only had Cats and Dogs. I thought the issue was with My First pet Stuff here, not the Cats and Dogs themselves. Or is this just because horses never made a comeback? Because apart from horses, I'm not seeing the legitimate complaint that it doesn't "live up to past pack features", as it were.
    - I haven't worked with the Vet career yet, so I can't comment on that one. What's broken about it, anyway? A few friends of mine don't seem to be having problems?

- How on earth is University broken? I'm playing a game with it now and have been for weeks and it's working just fine. What things can't be completed? I must be missing all these :D
    - Erm, I'm pretty sure you can build your own dorms? The lot tag's right there, I saw it last night. So it's a little more than decorating a room, actually. You can build the dorms in any world, not just Britechester.

I have to wonder though - if the game is so watered down, awful, a joke, 'not a real Sims game' etc: why is it still selling well? Let's be honest, if it wasn't, Maxis wouldn't be continuing it now, would they? So universally, it can't be that bad really. Not in the eyes of the majority who are still enjoying it, getting excited for new packs, 5 years down the line. It's only the forum-dwelling/social media crowd that seem up in arms about every little thing.
    Just my opinion, though. I guess I'm lucky not to be getting these game-breaking bugs so many seem to be getting <3

While you may be content with what EA/Maxis is giving you and that is your opinion on what you expect. However, that does not work too well for others as they feel differently and we all have different expectations on what we want out of EA/Maxis gives. Sims 4 for me is an watered down experience and feel I was not given the full monty and that is how I feel. It has been said time and time again whether the opinions are negative or postive any info is feedback. A lot of people base Sim 4 on what was offered in previous versions and the beginnings of SIms 4 was not an good one for some as it did not evolve in ways that other franchises do evolve. It's features was cut down to the bare minimum, it does not scale to any system whether it is high end or low end. So no bells or whistles so for me Sims 4 will never be above average and again that is my feeling and mine alone.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited January 2020
    I have to wonder why Sims 3 still sells well. Right now, as I type this, 4200 people are playing Sims 3 on Steam. Keeping in mind that Steam is the least popular platform, greatly lagging behind Origin and people who just have their hard copies, there may be as many people playing Sims 3 as Sims 4 on PC. It certainly is selling well enough that its microtransaction store is still up and running. Despite being a decade old, it is by no means a dead game despite its bugs and frustrations. That type of longevity is impressive, and I would be surprised if the devs haven't taken note of that.

I think part of Sims 4's success over the rest of the Sims series is porting it to consoles. And I have no doubt that if there is a Sims 5, it will be for the next gen of consoles which should be powerful enough to make a life simulator with the convenience options that are in Sims 4.

At least I hope. I love Sims, and would love to have another game that I can really sink my teeth into.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    TS4 made all the expected packs and then watered them all down. TS3 had packs that TS2 did, but it added onto them. TS4 has the same packs and strips them down. (Seasons and snow depth is a good example of this). People complain because the pack prices haven't changed but the quality of the packs and the item count of the packs has dropped. By the 4th iteration we should be getting versions of past packs that are better than previous versions. Seasons again, as an example. Yes, we got the calendar, that was new and it is a great feature but it's kind of broken and doesn't always work as expected. More could have been done with it but wasn't. It feels like they cheap out on everything with this iteration. People that haven't played past versions can't see it, some just don't care.

I'm still hoping this newest survey means they will go back and beef up some of these systems. Add missing features and fix the personalities. I like TS4 but I want to love it the way I loved the past ones. I could forgive the less value packs and write it off to inflation if my sims were actually engaging. I want to give my sims traits and have them mean something and affect their reactions to things in the world. This game gets old super fast when everyone acts exactly the same.

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    What bothers me is the clash between new and old pack releases. In the scientist career they can not make robots in the Sims Lab. The politician career do not include the DEBATE/RESEARCH skill, The lawyer career has no Connection to the active detective career and the list goes on. This should be fixed!
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited January 2020
    @MissyHissy I'm glad you clarified. I noticed, in the past, ones who've used the same statement (Or similar) do so more out of spite or frustration within a heated discussion. I'll admit I've become defensive of it and I shouldn't have and I apologize I came off that way. I mean it's been a frustrating 5 years for a lot of us on both sides of the fence. Kind of like a tug-of-war you know? I'm not going to sit here and say the sims 4 is the worst game ever. I don't think its the worst I think it just needs some serious TLC. I was excited when I took the last survey. It unburied a sprinkle of hope of improvement for the game as I haven't picked it up in a while and played intensively and I honestly wish I could. Especially vanilla like I used to.

As far as seasons what I meant by broken snowball fights is the sims not facing each other and there being lag with the snowball fight itself. I had taken my simself and my husband's simself on a honeymoon to Granite falls during the wintertime. I decided to try the snowball fight as I hadn't done it before and it was unfortunately pretty mediocre. My sims weren't facing each other, and there was a kind of lag in-between them throwing the snowballs at each other. I noticed the same with water balloon fights and mud fights. Now I haven't played in a while so I'm not sure if that was fixed or not. I mean I can run my game and try but I think I left off at the beginning of autumn in my last save lol
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Peral wrote: »
    What bothers me is the clash between new and old pack releases. In the scientist career they can not make robots in the Sims Lab. The politician career do not include the DEBATE/RESEARCH skill, The lawyer career has no Connection to the active detective career and the list goes on. This should be fixed!

Yep. Cross-pack compatibility and integration in TS4 seems to be more coincidental than an actual thing.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2020
    No, Sims 4 is definitely not the worst game ever and it’s obvious a lot of people love it. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t come with limitations and shortcomings it shouldn’t have (as did its predecessor in other fields, I personally happen to be able to deal with those shortcomings better because it doesn’t affect the sims, I don’t care about CC that much and I have a high end computer). I highly regret the game somehow always seems to cater just one group of fans (and playing styles). It shouldn’t. They made choices when creating Sims 4 they, in my strong opinion, shouldn’t have made. Even when a lot of people have learned to accept them (because features the game does have make up for them; my bad luck I don’t really care about those features). Which also very much comes down to EA’s monopoly position in this.

I definitely don’t hate Sims 4. I just don’t care to play it anymore (not least because it would mean buying a lot of stuff first). I probably would if I wouldn’t have Sims 3. Again, it’s not a bad game. I enjoy it whenever I play it. For me it’s just in no way competion for the predecessor.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

It's good you don't see some bugs, however, every bug I have listed in this post are over on the bug site and reoccur. I will tell you why it does so well, because someone like me who knows they can do better, isn't the target anymore. Instagram users are the ones buying this game, those who have never played (look it up) and the new market they just opened up to a bigger audience in China. Oldie gamers are not the ones finding this a new and exciting game, but a watered down version of MySims.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Remy_GenevaRemy_Geneva Posts: 142 Member
    The biggest mistake they made was creating sims completely void of anything even resembling a personality. Then marketing those same sims as having big personalities and deep emotions. Building on top of this lifeless doll house with pretty things to paper over the cracks. The most recent survey was a long time coming and after five years embarrassing really. The few things mentioned in the survey should have been in the game at launch. EA are well known for these types of business practice. Hyping up what really isn't there and taking peoples money anyway.

EA doesn't get a pass from me, they are well established and have no issues taking my money, so I reserve the right to critique them as harshly as I see fit. Obviously there is no need to be nasty, strictly game related stuff is all I mean.

• MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    @Noree_Doree, not at all! I completely understand, I've seen it used that way myself. I can completely understand your defensiveness, no apologies necessary! :) It has indeed been frustrating for everyone. It's a shame because I've noticed the community is a lot more divided with Sims 4 than with previous generations. Every game has something that an individual won't like; it's not possible to create one that pleases everybody, after all. These days, I like to look at each generation of The Sims for what it brings for me, personally. I'd never say that any of them is the best of the franchise, nor the worst because it simply isn't true universally; merely for myself. For my gameplay, Sims 4 does exactly what I want it to do. Sims 2 and 3 definitely are favourites of mine alongside Sims 4 because they all provide me with something different but equally lovely for their own merits. I hate major comparisons between them because all 4 generations are lovely for their own qualities.

It's definitely like a tug-of-war with this generation, particularly. From where I'm sitting, it looks like it's become impossible for those who dislike the game to see, or maybe even listen, to how others do like it just as it is. Now I understand that if the game isn't providing you with the fun and enjoyment you require, it can be difficult to see the game through another's eyes. I can understand the frustrations many have with the game although I'm lucky I don't experience hardly any of the bugs some mention here. So perhaps I'm simply fortunate that, for whatever reason, my game isn't running as badly as it is for some. I also struggle to see the problems with the personalities; my experience with 1,249 hours of gameplay has been quite the opposite, without any major mods (I usually only use tuning mods, a few small script ones but none of the big ones). I actually see more personality with these Sims than I do with my Sims 3 ones in any of my current projects. So I definitely struggle to see those complaints from a different point of view because my experience is so different.

And maybe that's where a lot of us go wrong. Definitely this time around, with Sims 4, many seem to view the game in black or white; it's either good or it's bad. For some, like myself, it's lovely because it does what I want it to do. For others, it's bad because it wasn't what they expected from the game, or what they feel it *should* be. Neither are wrong; it's a matter of personal taste, isn't it? I definitely feel there does need to be more of an "agree to disagree" attitude, especially on the forums, I think. It often seems angry around here and it's a shame because it never used to feel like that. There's always people frustrated with the game but there's also always people who are not. I can't help but wonder if many of the game's 'problems' are in the eye of the beholder?

Ahh, I didn't realise that about the snowball fights. I had one fairly recently with a large group of sims (about 6, I think) and some were standing behind others. I rather enjoyed it because it felt more like the element of surprise, like they were sneaking up on the others :D I haven't had any lag with it, so maybe it has been fixed?

I've just dug out a couple of water ballons fight pictures from my BACC. This was played only a couple of months ago but I couldn't see a problem, so maybe there were some fixes snuck in? I've no idea.

FwbjE1w.jpg

cy9KvN1.jpg

Especially in the last one, I rather like the thought of Stella and Emily hiding behind the wall to throw their water balloons. So I don't know if that's even close to what some of you are experiencing?
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    > @Remy_Geneva said:
    > The biggest mistake they made was creating sims completely void of anything even resembling a personality. Then marketing those same sims as having big personalities and deep emotions. Building on top of this lifeless doll house with pretty things to paper over the cracks. The most recent survey was a long time coming and after five years embarrassing really. The few things mentioned in the survey should have been in the game at launch. EA are well known for these types of business practice. Hyping up what really isn't there and taking peoples money anyway.
    >
    > EA doesn't get a pass from me, they are well established and have no issues taking my money, so I reserve the right to critique them as harshly as I see fit. Obviously there is no need to be nasty, strictly game related stuff is all I mean.

Exactly. After five years, they're asking us, "Oh, did you want the relationships in your human simulation game to actually have meaning and consequences?" Or, to put it differently, "Did you want the minimum level of depth in the game that we already offered 15 years ago?" It IS embarrassing.