Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have you stopped playing TS4, how long, and why?

Comments

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited February 2020
    a few months
    I usually enjoy the ride as a new Sims series grow with more packs.
    I had a feeling from the beginning that TS4 is a game that I should wait to be complete before I buy it, but I ignored that feeling and went along for the ride yet again. I really should have paid attention to my intuition.

I have been on and off with TS4 as new packs come out.
    I have been waiting for University before I begin to play my sims seriously.

Now that we have it, I don't feel like playing.
    University feels more like a grind than a joy and I can't really play it like I want. I like to play a few semesters or so and then switch to a custom dorm for a change in game play and environment. Unfortunately the new and cool dormies that I have made over, and my sims have struck up friendships with, tend to move out or disappear into the outer invisible world. They were actually the more enjoyable parts of Uni for me.

I can't stand the secret society with it's slavery to sprites game play.
    I was really looking forward to secret societies. Fortunately Get Together will allow me to create my own.

I believe the real issue is core game play.
    I really want unique sims that live to their traits, and game play that is more emergent and surprising.
    The recent surveys give me some hope, but who knows if they will actually deliver that.

I did not buy Tiny Living.
    I like the concept, but the theme feels incomplete without ladders, spiral staircases, and more space saving content.
    It would also be nice to have a new world designed for Tiny Living. All that is too much for a stuff pack, but I think it would be smart for EA to include that content in future packs.

I don't plan to buy anymore packs until another game pack and expansion pack comes out. I will then buy all the content at once if I find it interesting. There are some fantastic games coming out this year and I could easily wait until TS4 has 2 stuff packs, 2 game packs, and 2 EPs before I consider buying anything else.

Unless of course there is a pack that is extremely compelling and makes a huge impact on game play.

I still have and love TS3, but I am not not playing it.
    It's not going anywhere, unless graphics drivers, or Windows makes it very unstable.
    And I need a huge break from it. I would rather play a non-sims game if I am not playing TS4.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Jo_n534Jo_n534 Posts: 38 Member
    edited February 2020
    2 years or longer
    Why have you stopped?
    2+ years. The first time I regularly played it was the release of the base game. I played it for a day and got bored. I was hesitant to get it too, because the trailer didn't appeal to me either. I tried playing it again recently with some new expansions and got bored after a few days.

Have you purchased any expansion, GP or stuffed packs?
    Laundry day, City living, Pets and Famous

Do you play any other iterations regularly?
    nope

Are you interested in a TS5?
    Yes, as long as it doesn't take after TS4.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    i have not stop playing the sims4 but at the moment taking a break from the sims4 game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    1 year
    Why have you stopped?
    The game is dreadfully boring. Call me unimaginative, whatever, but that’s not something I could ever say about any other Sims game. There was always something happening to keep you engaged with the game, whereas little more than nothing happens in Sims 4 without player input (which kills any enjoyment I could have gained) and that makes it WAY too easy to turn the game off.

Yes I have spent too much money on the game. I don’t have everything, and swore off buying after that awful island living pack. If what I have already doesn’t hold my interest nothing will. Even on sale, I don’t see the point in wasting my money.

Not anymore. EA has made playing older versions tedious. I will never forget how they butchered Sims 3. That last update changed the entire game for the worse and based on the timing it’s not like that was an accident.

Not really. If Sims 4 showcases the best the studio can do I don’t have any interest in another game. Maxis is a mobile developer who makes one PC game, and the work they do seems to reflect that.
  • GooseyGoosey Posts: 317 Member
    edited May 2022
    a few months

Post edited by Goosey on

Gentlemen, from this day forward... you will all refer to me by the name... Betty... myahhahah!
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Why have you stopped?
    It doesn't feel fun or fulfilling to play the game at all. Live mode has no goals which make you feel eager to achieve because they are no fun to pursue and offer little reward in an already way too easy game. It feels like the game design of TS4 has the depth of a Facebook game like Sims Social, and that's no surprise given the ex-lead producer of the base game was taken right from Facebook & mobile gaming. Expansions are overpriced for what they offer and continue the same trend. I've still kept the game installed, pop in it every so often, but don't stay long. I'm probably going to uninstall it, as it's just wasting space on my hard drive, really.

Yes, in the past, however, I no longer do so. The core game is broken, and no amount of additional content piled on top of it will fix it. The last pack I've purchased was in 2018. I'll gladly go back to supporting The Sims once Maxis puts better care and quality into it like they used to.

I still enjoy playing The Sims 2, however, I've taken a bit of a break from The Sims now. The series has stagnated, and I've basically been left with the same Sims games we've had for years.

Kind of. Right now, the packs aren't any good, and they finished celebrating the big 20 anniversary by dropping a single hot tub. I don't think having a new base game will magically change the work ethic of Maxis.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    a few months
    Why have you stopped?

Real Life gets in the way at times. Waiting for mods to be updated. Boredom with the game itself. Sims4 just isn't as immersive as Sims2 and 3.

Have you purchased any expansion, GP or stuff packs?

Yes, but not until I can buy them for half off the original price. I own almost all the packs and the game still feels it lacks what made the previous iterations so much fun to play.

Sims2, Sims3 and the Legacy Edition because all three of those are heavily modded and I don't have to wait for those mods to be updated. So I am looking forward to Sims4 ending and the headache of waiting for mods to be updated goes away.

Are you interested in a Sims5?

Nope. Not interested in purchasing another bare bones base game then waiting years for packs/dlc to flesh out the game. And after the introduction of live service and the talk of making Sims5 an online game it just isn't worth the hassle to me. By then I'll have three complete, modded iterations to play with all the content I could possibly want. Sims5 would have to be off the charts in terms of innovative gameplay and options before it would appeal to me. But to go through the waiting for new packs a fifth time? No way. Deal with updates that break the game and bork my mods every month? Not gonna happen. I have spent at least a third of my gaming time in Sims4 looking for bug fixes and tuning mods just so I can play it. Why would I spend money for yet another set of problems piled on top of deep disappointment? Unfortunately, the Sims lost its soul somewhere along the line, and EA/Maxis just cannot seem to be able to recapture what made this game special and unique in the past. If EA/Maxis were able to recreate some of what made the game special and unique, it would be a miracle. And I doubt EA/Maxis are capable of doing it.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    2 years or longer
    Why have you stopped?
    The game is dreadfully boring. Call me unimaginative, whatever, but that’s not something I could ever say about any other Sims game. There was always something happening to keep you engaged with the game, whereas little more than nothing happens in Sims 4 without player input (which kills any enjoyment I could have gained) and that makes it WAY too easy to turn the game off.

Yes I have spent too much money on the game. I don’t have everything, and swore off buying after that awful island living pack. If what I have already doesn’t hold my interest nothing will. Even on sale, I don’t see the point in wasting my money.

Not anymore. EA has made playing older versions tedious. I will never forget how they butchered Sims 3. That last update changed the entire game for the worse and based on the timing it’s not like that was an accident.

Not really. If Sims 4 showcases the best the studio can do I don’t have any interest in another game. Maxis is a mobile developer who makes one PC game, and the work they do seems to reflect that.
    Indeed. And based on the fact they never properly warned us they were going to do that. It’s thanks to other - more alert - simmers that I could disable automatic updating just in time, I still play patch 1.67. And I desperately hope they will allow us old fans to keep things that way. Please allow us to enjoy our old game. It’s fine the way you left it in 2014, just fine. No, not really fine of course with all its unfixed bugs and glitches, but mods help with that. Nothing more stable than a modded game that doesn’t get patched anymore.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Indeed. And based on the fact they never properly warned us they were going to do that. It’s thanks to other - more alert - simmers that I could disable automatic updating just in time, I still play patch 1.67. And I desperately hope they will allow us old fans to keep things that way. Please allow us to enjoy our old game. It’s fine the way you left it in 2014, just fine. No, not really fine of course with all its unfixed bugs and glitches, but mods help with that. Nothing more stable than a modded game that doesn’t get patched anymore.

I'll second that :D My Mum plays Sims 3 still and she feels slightly smug every time we have a patch for Sims 4; she can sit back, quite relaxed because 3 isn't being touched any more! :D
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
    edited February 2020
    2 years or longer
    MissyHissy wrote: »

I'll second that :D My Mum plays Sims 3 still and she feels slightly smug every time we have a patch for Sims 4; she can sit back, quite relaxed because 3 isn't being touched any more! :D
    She does, oh, I like that haha. Please tell her a fellow Sims 3 loving mom says hello :blush:
    5JZ57S6.png
    She does, oh, I like that haha. Please tell her a fellow Sims 3 loving mom says hello :blush:

<3 The open world's important to her. She enjoys watching my Sims 4, but 3 will always be her favourite. She says hello back!
    1 year
    Why have you stopped?

They wanted to make their case that Sims 3 was broken and Sims 4 was not. It’s unfortunate because I never had any major issues with Sims 3 until the update that added the pack selector which made the game almost unplayable with everything installed. A game doesn’t just go from playable to unplayable and if that was unintentional they could have rolled back the update. Shows how they value their customers, if you don’t buy what they make now they will make it so you can’t play what you’ve already bought and enjoyed.
    They wanted to make their case that Sims 3 was broken and Sims 4 was not. It’s unfortunate because I never had any major issues with Sims 3 until the update that added the pack selector which made the game almost unplayable with everything installed. A game doesn’t just go from playable to unplayable and if that was unintentional they could have rolled back the update. Shows how they value their customers, if you don’t buy what they make now they will make it so you can’t play what you’ve already bought and enjoyed.

Did you ever use EA's SuperPatcher? I use it to stay on 1.67 when I reinstalled the game. At least it then provides you with an option. :)
    1 year

Did you ever use EA's SuperPatcher? I use it to stay on 1.67 when I reinstalled the game. At least it then provides you with an option. :)

I’ve heard of it but I don’t think it rolls back your game version to an older one. I own everything physically besides ITF, and I believe installing that will force the game to update to the latest version. I’m not sure about that though. It’s been years since I’ve fiddled with it because I really don’t have a whole lot of time to uninstall, and then reinstall my entire library of Sims 3 games just to see if I can avoid the latest update. That’s just too much work for a video game. Thanks for the suggestion though
    I’ve heard of it but I don’t think it rolls back your game version to an older one. I own everything physically besides ITF, and I believe installing that will force the game to update to the latest version. I’m not sure about that though. It’s been years since I’ve fiddled with it because I really don’t have a whole lot of time to uninstall, and then reinstall my entire library of Sims 3 games just to see if I can avoid the latest update. That’s just too much work for a video game. Thanks for the suggestion though

No problem! Unfortunately, it doesn't roll it back. It works only for new installations. Worth thinking about if you ever did have to uninstall/reinstall.
    ITF doesn't force you to update to 1.69 unless you get it through Origin. Disc copies will only take you up to 1.63, or thereabouts. When I reinstall, I stick to the disc copies, then use the Super Patcher to go up to 1.67; it avoids the final update and therefore cuts out the pack chooser 'feature'. :)
    1 year

No problem! Unfortunately, it doesn't roll it back. It works only for new installations. Worth thinking about if you ever did have to uninstall/reinstall.
    ITF doesn't force you to update to 1.69 unless you get it through Origin. Disc copies will only take you up to 1.63, or thereabouts. When I reinstall, I stick to the disc copies, then use the Super Patcher to go up to 1.67; it avoids the final update and therefore cuts out the pack chooser 'feature'. :)

Yea that’s my issue, ITF is a digital purchase which means I can’t avoid the final patch. It’s my only one which looking back on it I should have just went to the store to buy it instead of being lazy. My mistake but too late now lol
  • Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,167 Member
    edited February 2020
    a few months
    Why have you stopped?

I will always be interested in anything that's being developed for this kind of game (life simulation). The recent announcement they will be focusing on multiplayer and competition however is desiccating any form of enthusiasm I could possibly have completely. Much more interested in the alternative Paralives, hoping and praying it will be half as good as they promise it to be.

If TS5 is going to be multiplayer and have competitions as its 'goal' in gameplay (either or both), I am definitely out. I have been playing since the beginning of this incredible series. I just wish I hadn't bothered with TS4 at all instead of my eternal optimism believing they would 'get it together' and pull it through. The creative tools from TS3 (CASt and various building tools) would have helped mitigate the lack of real gameplay in TS4. That didn't happen. In TS4, there are so very many "didn't happen" events to place next to a few half-baked "happened" events, it is a disgrace - especially after the number of years this has gone on with so little forward progress and nothing I consider ground-breaking.

TS3 is my refuge and it looks like it always will be. I loved TS2 as well but it doesn't play well on my newest computer build whereas TS3 is as beautiful and astonishing and fresh and creatively exciting as it was from the beginning.

The one thing I was excited about in TS4 is that the various suburbs and neighbourhoods would be linked. I had visions of 20 or 30 suburbs to hop around between, but nope. That didn't happen either. And I also didn't envision such tiny little neighbourhoods, such whiny and needy pets, such grown-up "teens", and such a lack of things to do for all age groups except YA.

My apologies for the long rant - it has all just been building up over the past year or so as hope after hope ends up dashed on the rocks of this cratered game.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    1 year

Yea that’s my issue, ITF is a digital purchase which means I can’t avoid the final patch. It’s my only one which looking back on it I should have just went to the store to buy it instead of being lazy. My mistake but too late now lol

Honestly, if that's the only one you need, I'd jsut do a reinstall without it and wait for ITF to go on sale -- amazon often has Sims 3 stuff for cheap. I know it's a waste, but at the same time, 1.69 breaks the game so badly.
    Felicity wrote: »

Honestly, if that's the only one you need, I'd jsut do a reinstall without it and wait for ITF to go on sale -- amazon often has Sims 3 stuff for cheap. I know it's a waste, but at the same time, 1.69 breaks the game so badly.

@Felicity Just curious, what problems does the 1.69 patch bring?
  • julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,166 Member
    I have given up and gone back to sims 2 , Everything is so shallow in it and becomes boring really fast , Things like the cycling is coded that badly that it makes it a pain in the bum to let them own a bike and looks horrendous at times , There are so many things wong with 4 that i have no feeling of confidence they will ever fix or know how to even fix , I think they test the game with the base game and the latest patch and dont bother testing with all patches to see if it all works together
    edited February 2020
    2 years or longer
    Why have you stopped?

That’s just even more awful than I thought. The game’s very playable with everything installed, patch 1.67. Nothing surprises me, allegedly Apple makes sure our batteries suffer everytime we update our iPhones and iPads too.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited February 2020
    1 year
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

@Sk8rblaze A few, IIRC. First, it forced me to have origin running, which may not bother all people but I didn't like it. It also incorporated a less-stable version of SimGameSelect30, and would always deselect all my packs and I would have to manually check them again, and that didn't always work so I'd have to reload the game several times to get to my save file to play. I started getting error 12 messages on saving on occasion, which I never get on 1.67. The game felt laggier as well, but I never measured it so I'm not sure if that was really a thing or not.

Edit: Forgot this -- it also forced me to run the game through the launcher so I could not use my preferred FPS limiter. Honestly, I think I had more issues, but 1.69 did not last long on my machine before I just wiped it and did a fresh install, stopping at 1.67.

Another edit: Tagged the wrong person! Sorry about that!

Yet another edit: Pie menu lag with 1.69. Up to a second when clicking on the mailbox and my controlled sim, and while only a fraction of a second on clicking on another sim, it was noticeable and annoying.
    Post edited by Felicity on
    edited February 2020

@Sk8rblaze A few, IIRC. First, it forced me to have origin running, which may not bother all people but I didn't like it. It also incorporated a less-stable version of SimGameSelect30, and would always deselect all my packs and I would have to manually check them again, and that didn't always work so I'd have to reload the game several times to get to my save file to play. I started getting error 12 messages on saving on occasion, which I never get on 1.67. The game felt laggier as well, but I never measured it so I'm not sure if that was really a thing or not.

Edit: Forgot this -- it also forced me to run the game through the launcher so I could not use my preferred FPS limiter. Honestly, I think I had more issues, but 1.69 did not last long on my machine before I just wiped it and did a fresh install, stopping at 1.67.

Yet another edit: Pie menu lag with 1.69. Up to a second when clicking on the mailbox and my controlled sim, and while only a fraction of a second on clicking on another sim, it was noticeable and annoying.

Thank you. Next time I play The Sims 3, I'm just going to install from my discs and work around Origin. Maxis is such a joke, causing more problems in an already, very expensive buggy game.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

Thank you. Next time I play The Sims 3, I'm just going to install from my discs and work around Origin. Maxis is such a joke, causing more problems in an already, very expensive buggy game.

Good luck! I did this a while ago and it was the best thing I ever did. It was also really helpful when I couldn’t sign into Origin for over over a month thanks to one of their patches as it meant I could still play sims 3. I have my sims 2 discs and if they would install I would use them.i hate origin.
  • AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    edited February 2020
    @Sk8rblaze : best/fasted way of reinstalling The SIms 3:
    Just install all your discs, ignore the requests of downloading Origin everytime and don´t patch.
    If all your discs are installed only then install the Superpatch https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2014/01/patch-1-67.html
    Start the game. Ready to play.
    Post edited by AlexaKry on