Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should The Sims start catering more for the AFOTS?

Adult fans of The Sims.

Should they be catered for? One of my concerns with TS4 is that it is aimed at the younger crowds which is all very well but that age group will grow up at times and adding to the ever growing adult fans. I am not saying that the game as to be all mature but it should be taken into account that there are a lot of adult players.

Considering that the game is 20 years old this year there is now people still playing the game who have aged 20 years. These players are more likely to only the older games rather than the brash humour of TS4 but they are a valuable market. I would like the next Sims game to take AFOTS into account and not just focus on the preteens who might only get bored of the game after a year or two.

Creative features are defiantly requested by mature players. Silly walk styles and potty humour are not. We are players with money and EA will do well if they started to cater more for the AFOTS. :smile:

Discuss...
Simbourne
screenshot_original.jpg

Comments

• AlexcielAlexciel Posts: 126 Member
    Well, the wide range of players is both a sales blessing and a challenge. I think that making the game more narrow oriented (Adult or child oriented) could be a mistake.

But I belive that the Sims could take advantage of multi-pack nature to cater both. With something like flavor packs, like an adult flavor pack with adult patches. So there could be two flavor versions of the game.
  • PatricePatrice Posts: 361 Member
    Hello Simmers! May I ask AFOTS means? please explain, thanks😀
  • RiverX2BananasRiverX2Bananas Posts: 58 Member
    edited February 2020
    Patrice wrote: »

Adult fans of The Sims. I didn't know either, but it's mentioned in the original post. so I think it is what it means :)
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    That depends on what "catering to adult fans" means. If it means more focus on family play rather than just YA Sims, sure, but I don't want to see The Sims add raunchier content than what was present in TS2 or TS3.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Alexciel wrote: »
    Well, the wide range of players is both a sales blessing and a challenge. I think that making the game more narrow oriented (Adult or child oriented) could be a mistake.

But I belive that the Sims could take advantage of multi-pack nature to cater both. With something like flavor packs, like an adult flavor pack with adult patches. So there could be two flavor versions of the game.

Good suggestion :smile:
    @Patrice wrote: »

Adult fans of The Sims :smile:
    That depends on what "catering to adult fans" means. If it means more focus on family play rather than just YA Sims, sure, but I don't want to see The Sims add raunchier content than what was present in TS2 or TS3.

The most ranchy game that we ever had was TS1 if you have ever seen this:

Sims-1-Cake-Dancers.jpeg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=370
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited February 2020
    I mean somewhat
    I would love for them to stop trying to be ''trendy'' with the kids
    but I also don't want game to become ridiculously ''mature'' to point of immature

like just fun timeless game that appeals with quality
    not with ''being hip and cool''

back in ts1 and 2 days it didn't really bother me cause I was kid myself and now it just feels nostalgic
    but like with ts3 and 4 the popculture and modern stuffs really irritate me for reason or another
    and there is hardly a way to ignore all the modernities and just play like good old sims game
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    Yes. They need to consider older players and players who aren't modern era players when creating the base game and packs instead of telling us things like 'it's not the 1940s' or 'no one uses that anymore' or something along those lines. They lack a good balance of items. As annoying as The Sims 3 Store was, it truly provided something for everyone content wise at least.

The Sims is a sandbox which means a wide variety of scenarios and options is needed yet this game is strictly providing players with modern day era type play and that's annoying when the type of era you want to play in doesn't require tech for everything or the style provided doesn't fit. Especially if you're a player who doesn't use CC. There aren't a lot of options to break out and do something different unless you use CC and find the right mods, assuming the right mods exist.

I'm still in my 20's and it's annoying as heck that in The Sims 4 and The Sims 3 my sims are stuck with cell phones I never wanted them to have and that they can't abandon somewhere or throw away. I like landlines for some of my sims. I like the calender but I'd rather have my sims stick with a wall or desk calender or a little day planner. I'd rather my sims write little notes and letters and rarely send a text. I just need them to think outside the modern day, 21st century box.

I also like the little things, the level of detail in the animations of Sims 2. More creative control like editing textures and colors, placing new lots, the click and pull in CAS, and much more. I'm not saying they haven't done some good things in the current iteration but people who've played one or more of the previous games, the older players, know certain things can be better and that some mistakes they shouldn't still be making and should've learned from.

It's not just us not being satisfied because we're bitter or us putting on rose colored glasses and soaking in nostalgia when it comes to the old games. Present a better level of quality than the best all the games have to offer instead of pretending the previous games were worse than the current.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • AlexcielAlexciel Posts: 126 Member
    edited February 2020
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I saw footage of a hot tub interaction in Sims 1 yesterday, on Twitter. The current generation of simmers reacted totally shocked, that’s all I’m going to say :D It’s absolutely unthinkable they’d do something like that nowadays. Unthinkable. Sometimes I wonder if we moved back to the fifties without realizing it.

Well, it is said that history moves in a pendulum-like way. There are times of liberalization and times of strenghtening of social norms. And we DO are in a strenghtening one, because all the new changes (like our definition of marriage and what is proper in general) follows the current social norms, and even more, you can change them without a strong moral justification.

For exampe, In games the introduction of gender diversity is not being done due to liberalization, is being done to adjust games to the current social code. Its adjusting games to what is "right" and lawful. So we didn't go back to the 1950's we moved forward to the 2010's. I mean, we went from a hardening of norms period (the 50's) to a liberalization period and then to back to another hardening period. We move pendulum like.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited February 2020
    Honestly I don't think they will ever go back to what it was. It's not all about the age they are catering too. The sims have more international players than ever before and they are always trying to expand to even more players. I I believe they are trying to make it appropriate for all cultures and backgrounds. Which is understandable. I personally don't wish it to become "raunchier" as people call it. But I do wish it wasn't so childish. I would just like to see more mature reactions,movements,behaviors etc. Especially for sims that are not goofballs.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

This exactly from me too haha
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited February 2020
    I don't think that's what the OP meant. In fact, they specifically stated that they don't want more potty and other immature humor, which is where the humor of Sims 4 sometimes seems to be heading. The whole emotional walkstyles thing - including the bathroom walk - is pretty immature. Emotional deaths? "Oh, I just died of embarrassment!" How many times have you heard a tween say that, and how many times have you heard an actual adult say that?

The whole dying of emotions (embarrassment, hysterical laughter, etc.) is just ridiculous, which is why it's the first thing I modded out of my game. It's catering to the tween set. And as the OP pointed out, those same tweens tend to get bored after a short while, and then the ones left playing are going to be the long-time Simming adult audience. And you know what? Almost everyone I know has modded out those emotional deaths, because they were just absurd to begin with.

Tweens also do NOT have the disposable income that older adults might have. Sure, we have bills to pay, but we have INCOME, which tweens generally don't have.

I also completely agree with @Hestia: Sims in Sims 3 expressed emotions JUST fine. The Sims in that game have a lot more personality. I feel like I'm playing with mood swings, not with real personalities with my Sims in Sims 4.

And if you're wondering, I like both games pretty close to equally. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, although the fact that Sims 3 is a memory hog, takes about 15 minutes to launch, 5 minutes to save a game, and it often lags and/or crashes because the internal database of the game was poorly designed, has recently been making Sims 4 the one I play most, even though I really prefer the game play in Sims 3.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    @MiaSkywalker "I feel like I'm playing with mood swings"

You nailed it.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Sims 4 needs better romantic interations, better weddings, a honeymoon romantic resort, bachelor/bachelorette party, heartshape bed & a heartshape bathtub for two.
    I don't think that's what the OP meant. In fact, they specifically stated that they don't want more potty and other immature humor, which is where the humor of Sims 4 sometimes seems to be heading. The whole emotional walkstyles thing - including the bathroom walk - is pretty immature. Emotional deaths? "Oh, I just died of embarrassment!" How many times have you heard a tween say that, and how many times have you heard an actual adult say that?

The last time that I died from embarrassment was after watching the TS4 preview back in 2014. That was just shocking!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2020
    Alexciel wrote: »
    I saw footage of a hot tub interaction in Sims 1 yesterday, on Twitter. The current generation of simmers reacted totally shocked, that’s all I’m going to say :D It’s absolutely unthinkable they’d do something like that nowadays. Unthinkable. Sometimes I wonder if we moved back to the fifties without realizing it.

Well, it is said that history moves in a pendulum-like way. There are times of liberalization and times of strenghtening of social norms. And we DO are in a strenghtening one, because all the new changes (like our definition of marriage and what is proper in general) follows the current social norms, and even more, you can change them without a strong moral justification.

For exampe, In games the introduction of gender diversity is not being done due to liberalization, is being done to adjust games to the current social code. Its adjusting games to what is "right" and lawful. So we didn't go back to the 1950's we moved forward to the 2010's. I mean, we went from a hardening of norms period (the 50's) to a liberalization period and then to back to another hardening period. We move pendulum like.
    True, it’s not literally the fifties in many respects, thankfully. But as someone who grew up in a different era, I regret this new prudishness. I miss the lightness and honesty surrounding basically healthy and human behaviour. When I see a 25 year old getting totally shocked looking at that hot tub scene, that feels kind of alienating to me. I mean, hello? What’s the big deal there? You can laugh, that’s ok, it’s funny, not shocking. Nobody gets hurt there (on the contrary :D ).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2020

The whole dying of emotions (embarrassment, hysterical laughter, etc.) is just ridiculous, which is why it's the first thing I modded out of my game. It's catering to the tween set. And as the OP pointed out, those same tweens tend to get bored after a short while, and then the ones left playing are going to be the long-time Simming adult audience. And you know what? Almost everyone I know has modded out those emotional deaths, because they were just absurd to begin with.

Tweens also do NOT have the disposable income that older adults might have. Sure, we have bills to pay, but we have INCOME, which tweens generally don't have.

I also completely agree with @Hestia: Sims in Sims 3 expressed emotions JUST fine. The Sims in that game have a lot more personality. I feel like I'm playing with mood swings, not with real personalities with my Sims in Sims 4.

And if you're wondering, I like both games pretty close to equally. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, although the fact that Sims 3 is a memory hog, takes about 15 minutes to launch, 5 minutes to save a game, and it often lags and/or crashes because the internal database of the game was poorly designed, has recently been making Sims 4 the one I play most, even though I really prefer the game play in Sims 3.
    It used to but not on nowadays computers. Well, probably on low end computers but it’s really hard for me to accept people are prepared to invest in a good computer for one game but not for the other (that happens to be the kind of game I like). My Sims 3 game loads in 4 minutes and saving takes like 30 seconds (I don’t clock it)? Five years ago loading lasted 11 minutes for me (which by the way was fine by me as well, waiting for 11 minutes and then play non stop for hours). Crashes I hardly ever had, nor lag. The reason for that was that they figured it was a good idea to make the game mod unfriendly. That, of course, was a very bad idea, not a good one. Since I’ve never been very interested in CC, I hardly had crashes and apparently with the amount of CC/mods I have now the game’s fine as well. As long as I clean my cache files first.
    5JZ57S6.png
    @JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Alexciel wrote: »

True, it’s not literally the fifties in many respects, thankfully. But as someone who grew up in a different era, I regret this new prudishness. I miss the lightness and honesty surrounding basically healthy and human behaviour. When I see a 25 year old getting totally shocked looking at that hot tub scene, that feels kind of alienating to me. I mean, hello? What’s the big deal there? You can laugh, that’s ok, it’s funny, not shocking. Nobody gets hurt there (on the contrary :D ).

I remember in TS1 that if an outgoing Sim was the first to go into a hot tub then they would go in naked and all other Sims getting in would also be naked. It was one of those things that you just had to try! :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

lol, you need to watch the ingame video in TS2 of woohoo with a Sim for the first time. It's pretty heavy compared to the high fives and giggles and cheers of TS4. Youtube removed it from one player's channel, it was considered too graphic for today.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • jkgoodspeedjkgoodspeed Posts: 38 Member
    I can see both sides of this issue: but, it seems that PC folks are better off, as they are able to mod their game. I can see where it's tougher for console players (like myself), as we are probably always going to be saddle with a more "teen-friendly" edition of the game. I agree with many of you who aren't looking for a more "adults-only" style of game, but it seems that's the direction of the series now.
    @Cinebar wrote: »

lol, you need to watch the ingame video in TS2 of woohoo with a Sim for the first time. It's pretty heavy compared to the high fives and giggles and cheers of TS4. Youtube removed it from one player's channel, it was considered too graphic for today.

lol I remember the streaking one when a Sim started at University and their parent would facepalm and when the Sim graduated and turned into an adult they would facepalm.

Now I just facepalm at Youtube :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    Until attitudes get back to normal and people learn to laugh at the silly and stupid things in life again, we're stuck in a pc nightmare where everyone is offended. I know when my kids walked in on the opening scene to whoohoo in Sims2 they were shocked and a bit Oh no they aren't! Then they laughed about it because lets face it that's the reaction it was probably meant to have. That ewww why did I ever press that button it's gross! To no that's actually kinda funny. Now that scene is considered raunchy and must be hidden, pretty much like table legs in the Victorian Era. In this incarnation of the Sims we don't need a proper trait, because we already have it. A sim farts and someone is offended. A gender patch is added and everyone is offended. Something so everyday causes offence what chance is there of returning to an era of humour in a game. Come to think of it, that offends me. (Just kidding)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2020
    As far as pc culture, I think I'm offended the Sims in this game thinks woohoo is not the deep, loving relationship you take with the person you love but just a chance to high five....as if it's just a day at the ballgame. Sometimes their priorities seem all messed up. It's ok to woohoo many different partners, multiple, (TS4) with no consequences (like in TS2 or even The Sims Medieval) but not ok to show a cut scene of the first woohoo. Some days they confuse me of what message they do try to send. Even TS2 Sims felt bad (memories) and some guilt for cheating. lol
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ButteredToastButteredToast Posts: 47 Member
    One thing to consider: Adult fans of The Sims (without children?) are not the only ones with incomes. All younger fans have parents/grandparents who also have incomes. Would all these parents and grandparents buy Sims games for their kids/grandkids if they are rated "Mature (whatever that entails)" instead of "Teens"?