The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Time to jump ship? Sims 5 will be suffering from online disease

Comments

• friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    i also have tryed simsport in my case it never work so as a player i quit using it and keep my sims3 game off line as non connected to simsport
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    In the evolution of marketing, today is dominated by the triple bottom line. With new product development, CSR and climate change are big considerations because of pressure from the public which affects their financial. Perhaps as you are worried about paying extra dollars for stuff, the stuff factor might be less in Sims 5, minimised, and instead the abilities to be able to make your own stuff instead of buying manufactured finished goods. At the moment in Sims 4 you can make furniture on the woodworking bench, but it's very limited, boring and doesn't give off a very high environment score. Perhaps that kind of thing will be improved on and encouraged, with environment, comfort, variety, value and usefulness being upgraded to be better than pre-made. However, the gaming industry might not be concerned with that kind of thing or the influence it has on the players. But they should. I wouldn't know, I'm not in it.
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    edited February 2020
    If online was a optional feature and not forced then I am ok with it. But I prefer multiplayer aka private servers, perfect for Roleplay + playing with friends. But if it is FORCED online; sims 5 will most likely flop... It should have single player/ online as two options. OH! and the dangers of online are the Haxorz! trying to troll and grief the community, you should see the chaos that happened with fallout 76, yea... it got bad...

Post edited by MoonCrossWarrior22 on
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • JoybearrJoybearr Posts: 117 Member
    TBH, I have no hopes for Sims 5 being any good. They continue giving us such lacklustre content for the Sims 4, this many years into it's release. What hope is there for Sims 5 being any better??

So I'm not surprised that they'd try to ruin Sims 5 by making it online and giving us the opposite of what we asked for. If the online feature is optional, then i'm fine with that. But no one wants an entirely online game.

LOL, this is like when they gave us 🐸🐸🐸🐸 burrito babies in TS3 so we asked for something better in the next game and so they unwrapped the burritos but made them objects. Or how we asked for improved cars in TS3 and so in TS4 they gave us absolutely none. Do they ever listen?? Even up till more recently, with the super disappointing 20th anniversary gift - a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 hot tub. EA doesn't care.

EA has a chance to turn it's bad reputation around by making Sims 5 the best game in the series, but I fear it'll be the worst one yet.
  • civiecivie Posts: 3 New Member
    If TS5 is an online game, then I won't be playing it. I'm barely playing TS4 anymore because it feels empty and lacks abilities to play actual unique stories. If I had to play with other people, I'd be annoyed even more (and constantly). I play Sims to get away from people and build my own nice, little bubble. Not to compete AGAIN in a setting that usually calms my anxiety and stuff.
    Just waiting to find out more about Paralives, so I can decide wether or not I like their take on life simulation.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It's my opinion most of the those still around playing or talking about TS2 and TS3 will not be moving over to a TS5 multi player game. It's been our creed all this time that The Sims should remain single player. I assume a multi player game will go good for those who just started with TS4 or who play other multiplayer games. Most of the devs and the moderators here, play multiplayer games. When you read their profiles not many actually played The Sims or don't even have one of them listed as a game they even play. It's usually some multiplayer/competition game they play. So, let them build it, and let them play it. Most of the fandom won't be playing (most of the core fanbase).
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    The only people that I see crying out for a sims multiplayer are very casual gamers. I’ve never saw any older simmers think it’s a good idea.
  • ApricusApricus Posts: 672 Member
    edited February 2020
    When it comes out (which hopefully isn’t soon, but considering EA, maybe) I don’t plan on buying it. I love the Sims even though I haven’t really played many of the older games, but I’m just not feeling the online part. For many Simmers the sims is an escape from reality, Online will ruin it, and you know it’ll be pretty much forced. The amount of people preying on others are going to be insane, especially with the woohoo options.
    ZjzmtTb.jpg
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    The only people that I see crying out for a sims multiplayer are very casual gamers. I’ve never saw any older simmers think it’s a good idea.

A lot of big publishers are 5 years behind what the public wants.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    Someone used this article to make a point but I can't find the post to quote it.

https://digital.hbs.edu/platform-digit/submission/the-sims-online-should-have-taken-its-own-advice-to-be-somebody-else-or-when-networks-fight-back/

Anyway, I played The Sims Online until EA closed it. I was there to the last seconds until the servers went down. I do not recall this so called mafia. There were groups that used mean interactions but they were always kicked off the lot by the owner. There were players that roleplayed situations but I did not allow it on my lot. I was never bullied and I never had to give simoleons to a group.

I ran an art store in the game and never encountered this so called mafia. I am still friends with a couple of other players and over the years we met in real life. I had two accounts. I could be added as a roommate. I would build lots for others and do roof art for other players with the second account.

Just please remember to validate sources. I do remember, as players we could boot offensive players from the lot. I had a totally different experience. There were different lot types. As a player we could even set the lot to private and only allow the players we wanted. I just do not know how a so called mafia to do what the article states.
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    I'm willing to wait until we get confirmation of it being online but to be brutally honest, I already have no faith in Sims 5 being that good a game, based solely on how Sims 4 has been trending so far. Many missteps have been made and I've learned not to get my hopes up with EA, and with this franchise that I used to be head over heels for. If the online component is something as benign as the gallery is now or if it's wholly optional, then sure, I can accept that. Otherwise, if they really do try to force online play on us, you can bet I'm out.
  • M1ss_PlumbumM1ss_Plumbum Posts: 189 Member
    edited February 2020
    Haven't you guys played other games than The Sims?

Online features doesn't mean that the whole game will be online. Online fetaures can just be an addition that one can use if one likes (just like The Gallery).

There's NO reason to panicly conclude that the DEV-team would change the game completely when it's so loved as it is already. Why would they force you to play multiplayer mode when they not you have played this single player game for 20 years?

I imagine that they will add an online feature on the gallery profile where one can showcase completed challenges like "Tiny house challenges", "shell build challenges" and "100 baby challenges" or something like that.

As it is now it's only youtubers who invites other players into their game. Othervice it happens here on the forum. Why not make it possible for all of us to share our stories more directly to world through the game itself?

Also beside the single player mode it could be fun to add a multiplayer mode so one can invite a friend over to play the sims or invite an online friend to build a house with.

Perhaps something like Minecraft where one can play alone or invite friends to participate.

Online features doesn't mean that the whole game will be online. Online fetaures can just be an addition that one can use if one likes (just like The Gallery).

There's NO reason to panicly conclude that the DEV-team would change the game completely when it's so loved as it is already. Why would they force you to play multiplayer mode when they not you have played this single player game for 20 years?

I imagine that they will add an online feature on the gallery profile where one can showcase completed challenges like "Tiny house challenges", "shell build challenges" and "100 baby challenges" or something like that.

As it is now it's only youtubers who invites other players into their game. Othervice it happens here on the forum. Why not make it possible for all of us to share our stories more directly to world through the game itself?

Also beside the single player mode it could be fun to add a multiplayer mode so one can invite a friend over to play the sims or invite an online friend to build a house with.

Perhaps something like Minecraft where one can play alone or invite friends to participate.

If it were to go that direction; it would be perfect for roleplay, one can have a RP server and have a group of people each playing their own household and doing their own thing; thus! RP drama happens, fun stuff. :D

If ya seen GTA RP, Conan exiles RP and atlas RP on twitch; then you will get what I am talking about. Roleplay is a great way to play in multiplayer, but yea. XD
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Hopefully we can have an option of both single and multiplayer because some times I just like to play alone.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    Need For Speed
    Dragon Age
    Sim City
    Mass Effect
    The Sims?

The Sims is the last game that has me tied to EA.
    We get multiplayer in TS5, I can finally kick Origin to the curb.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,442 Member

The reason people are in a bit of a panic is because Sims 4 was originally built to be a multiplayer and because of that, certain game sacrifices had to be made. So the Sims 4 is an example of what that gameplay could be like. Notice how multiplayer worlds are static and cannot be manipulated by the player. When a world is shared by thousands of players, you can't have everyone changing the environment. So Sims 4 has no lot placement or size changes, no world editing, and no world creation tools. Back when Sims 1 was being made, it was originally going to be an architectural game. To think that they removed such a large portion of the original design of the core game is practically sacrilege. And here we are again with the CEO talking about a cloud world in the future. Sure, he said that single and multi will both be options, but you can bet that they'll both still have to run on a shared engine, and that engine will have to be built for multi.

I hope my assumptions are wrong, I really do. But I'm already wincing at the thought of the next game in the series, and with this disturbing
    multiplayer news combined with the disappointing fiasco that was the 20th anniversary, I have no expectations at this time that I'll be interested in the Sims 5. Especially if they continue to do nothing about the desperate needs of the base game they're still developing now.
    #Team Occult
  • simrhinosimrhino Posts: 14 New Member
    > @under_sun_and_sky said:
    > All I can say is thank GOD we'll have Paralives.

I won't though. They plan to release it only on Steam and it will be locked into Steam Workshop and I'm as much against Valve and Steam's practices as I am against EA's.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    edited February 2020
    @LiELF wrote: »

The reason people are in a bit of a panic is because Sims 4 was originally built to be a multiplayer and because of that, certain game sacrifices had to be made. So the Sims 4 is an example of what that gameplay could be like. Notice how multiplayer worlds are static and cannot be manipulated by the player. When a world is shared by thousands of players, you can't have everyone changing the environment. So Sims 4 has no lot placement or size changes, no world editing, and no world creation tools.

The lack of customization has been a permanent deal breaker for many players. The builders and CAW community have been shut out and if that is repeated watch and see another disaster.
    @LiELF wrote: »
    Back when Sims 1 was being made, it was originally going to be an architectural game. To think that they removed such a large portion of the original design of the core game is practically sacrilege. And here we are again with the CEO talking about a cloud world in the future. Sure, he said that single and multi will both be options, but you can bet that they'll both still have to run on a shared engine, and that engine will have to be built for multi.

I hope my assumptions are wrong, I really do. But I'm already wincing at the thought of the next game in the series, and with this disturbing
    multiplayer news combined with the disappointing fiasco that was the 20th anniversary, I have no expectations at this time that I'll be interested in the Sims 5. Especially if they continue to do nothing about the desperate needs of the base game they're still developing now.

It is sad that the original purpose of The Sims was flushed out when TS4 launched. TS4 has never been a true Sims game
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sims_Olympus ..... The Sims 4’s prototype would like a word.

Maxis has only created a few online games and each of them required a constant internet connection even for single player mode. The two that saw release (because Sims 4 was repurposed last minute) are 100% dead, and get no updates or support from EA.

IMO they aren’t doing very good with a game that does not include multiplayer, and does not require a constant connection to EA servers. So I don’t even want to imagine the issues they would have designing a game that’s ran off the cloud.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sims_Olympus ..... The Sims 4’s prototype would like a word.

Maxis has only created a few online games and each of them required a constant internet connection even for single player mode. The two that saw release (because Sims 4 was repurposed last minute) are 100% dead, and get no updates or support from EA.

IMO they aren’t doing very good with a game that does not include multiplayer, and does not require a constant connection to EA servers. So I don’t even want to imagine the issues they would have designing a game that’s ran off the cloud.

Exactly. As has been repeated before, the main reason why Sims 4 lacks so many features, and have simplified so many others is that it was envisioned, and built from the ground up, as a multiplayer game.
    Between the Sims 3 story telling, color swatches and open world, and Sims 2's very detailed (for it's time) animations (watch the Sim cooking reaching into the cabinet and grab a pot!)... There is a lot of things that plain simply doesn't make sense in Sims 4. There is no reason at all why so many things just either were missing, or worse than it's predecessors. Unless you remember that you can't have color pickers if everyone else is going to have to download a copy of an item with that color on it real time... For example.

There are things that are better. I, for one, really love the slightly cartoony look. But I am a Western Animation buff to begin with and I love the art style. I also love that they simply let Sims stuck walk thru furniture or each other if there is no other way to get to a place. I still remember having to always build bathrooms with two doors so a Sim would not starve to death trying to get out, while the other sim pees himself trying to get in, as happened in Sims 1 and 2.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    Hopefully we can have an option of both single and multiplayer because some times I just like to play alone.
    That was the plan for the Sims 4 for both single and multiplayer. Last minute they pulled the plug because the SimCity 2013 had a lot of issues including laggy servers. They didn't build stable enough servers to fit all the players to play it and there wasn't much done to remedy the situation. So for people that have played SimCity games too like me, I just see history repeating itself again and Maxis losing money and risking their studios closing.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,425 Member
    edited February 2020
    Online may give opportunity for a larger connected world in the vein of Flight Simulator 2020 along with sections where your Sims would reside off-line and can live their life if you want to play it that way (a neighbourhood to be more exact). So essentially you get a selection of off-line worlds that you can play if you don't want to get online. But you also have the opportunity to connect to the bigger world of the online community if you want. That’s the type of on-line option I’d want to see.

I want this iteration (Sims 5) to be open world. Think it can’t be done? Well just look to Microsoft and the long-standing Flight Simulator game.

Microsoft has made strides with an online larger world (they’re mapping the entire Earth so that flight simmers can fly their aircraft anywhere on the map; land at photo-realistic airfields. We’re talking PETABYTES of data which cannot be run on anything other than a server based out of Microsoft.
    74214103_2516032188682729_2897142577172054016_o.jpg
    uie4mtt1d5r31.png
    This is the kind of technology that EA needs to harness and put towards their Sims franchise. That will break new ground in the Sims and bring back those who have felt snubbed by the last game. The bar is being raised higher and higher; whether EA chooses to meet that bar is completely up to them.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    If Sims 5 is online multiplayer, I am out. Nothing against you, guys, you are great, I just don't want you into my game. One of the reasons I play the Sims is that I struggle with interracting with real-life people and I am constantly worrying about being seen as boring and foolish, being forced to put up with it in-game too would destroy every bit of joy I get from living through my sims.
    LiELF wrote: »
    And here we are again with the CEO talking about a cloud world in the future.

It's a Clown World in the future, a circus you guys, a circus! a circus in the sky! LOL!

• tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    While I am in the minority, that would be a game I would play, (since I stopped playing Sims 4) because I could play with others. I can get bored playing alone so playing with others is something I enjoy doing and not everyone is a bad player. I have played MMO's for over 12 years and I have ran into very few (count on one hand over the years) people that were horrible. It is not that bad no matter what some will say. There is also a little feature called ignore if someone is actually bothering you that you can use.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing