Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Homes in Literature Build Challenge: *CLOSED*

Comments

• rikaoceanrikaocean Posts: 24 Member
    BUILD ENTRY FORM
    Midwestern Homestead in the Late 1800s - 'On the Banks of Plum Creek'

LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE 3
    FORUM ID: rikaocean
    ORIGIN ID: rikaocean
    NEW LOT LINK: Plumbob Creek
    LINK TO SLIDESHOW: Slideshow Plumbob Creek
    ENTRY DETAILS: This is my interpretation of the Little House on the Prairie. MOO and Play tested. Large lot with a creek that runs behind the house. Good for swimming and fishing. The house is small but cozy with a large upstairs loft for girls to grow. The barn houses a woodworking bench and plenty of room to store dry goods as well as house the animals. The wheat crop is thriving and there is plenty of space to grow some veggies. Some notes to point out that make reference to the book: The cut out stars that are hung below the shelf that Mary and Laura put up to make the house pretty. Ma's china lady is sitting on the fireplace mantel. The large hay piles are there tempting the girls to play in them.
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: uZLJymk.png
    oqb3r51.png
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,575 Member
    Plumbob Creek is so very beautifully done! @rikaocean :) There are so many special features! Very nice exterior design of the home and the outdoors areas are very nice! Very nice fenced garden area with Patchy there also! The hay stacks are great! Very nice wheat field! The creek with bridge is lovely! The Barn is very nice and the pigs are very cute! Very nice layout of the interior of the barn. The Stalls and horse are great! Sims will enjoy doing woodworking there. The wagon is so very creatively designed! Very lovely and homely furnishing of the interior! The details to reflect the show are very nice! The fireplace area is lovely! Very nice design and furnishing of the bedrooms.
    It is a very lovely and warm homely home :)
    Your link to imgur is not working quite right. I found that the link I could access it through is
    https://imgur.com/a/Ovk1jeO
  • AIRIS6962AIRIS6962 Posts: 5,611 Member

So beautiful, @rikaocean ! <3 I love all the details out and in but most of all how you made the river!
  • AliSim19AliSim19 Posts: 443 Member
    Just dropped in to let you know i haven't forgotten about this challenge @Taoron! But it's turning out to be one of those builds that frustrates me....just deleted my 3rd attempt at the house and barn, don't know why but simply can't seem to find my mojo with this one yet. The creek is done though so I'm sure I'll get it sorted before the deadline :)

@AIRIS6962 stunning recreation! and I love your interpretation too @rikaocean! I'm going to try and wait until I've finished mine before looking at both slideshows, but I might cave and peek earlier this time ;)

Thank you very much @AliSim19 :) Can´t wait to see yours, dear!
  • coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,086 Member
    @AIRIS6962 and @rikaocean --- I love your recreations of the farm from Little House B)! I'm looking forward to seeing your version, as well, @AliSim19 B)!
    4kkjdXo.png

• GwinielGwiniel Posts: 996 Member
    edited February 2020
    BUILD ENTRY FORM
    Midwestern Homestead in the Late 1800s - 'On the Banks of Plum Creek'

LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE 3
    FORUM ID: Gwiniel
    ORIGIN ID: Gwiniel
    NEW LOT LINK: Little House of Ingalls
    LINK TO SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/gallery/EsyuE9b
    ENTRY DETAILS: This version is a mixture of influences from information about the era and location, the TV series, the books and Taoron's requirements. I tried real hard going with poor and rustic but the decorative animal shelters are... well.. imaginary. Used my childhood memories in creating the Pa's field. Didn't follow the rule to a T as I used more than 1 type of crop + decorative crop. Made also a little kitchen patch close to the house. There are also many mushrooms here and there in the grove behind the house where the little creek runs. Apple trees and beehives are my touches. Perfect plants are by #DolphinSimmer13.

ww70IJ6.jpg
    GNPW0b1.jpg
    Post edited by Gwiniel on
    edited February 2020
    SIM ENTRY FORM Father, Mother, at least 2 children and a dog- 'On the Banks of Plum Creek'
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - 3, Ingalls
    FORUM ID: Gwiniel
    ORIGIN ID: Gwiniel
    HOUSEHOLD: Ingalls
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/gallery/JBdkwrA
    ENTRY DETAILS: Based these sims on the real Ingalls family photos and not the TV series. Clothes were pretty much impossible to fit with the period but did what I could. The dog... well, it's a dotty/spotty bulldog named Jack.
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    bj1Ig2K.jpg
    oVtMd24.jpg
    Post edited by Gwiniel on
  • wendyologywendyology Posts: 395 Member
    BUILD ENTRY FORM
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - Tiny House on the Prairie
    FORUM ID:Wendyology
    ORIGIN ID:Wendyology
    NEW LOT LINK: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/1AD569CC484811EA869A3C745A4688AC
    LINK TO SLIDESHOW:https://imgur.com/a/2BuKNx2
    ENTRY DETAILS: A simple home in the wilderness which is also a 98 tile tiny house build (that's why I didn't do the barn). I placed it on Hindquarter Hideaway for easy access to a fishing spot.

SPACE FOR PICTURES:

LQK59kE.png
    d0gVWJX.png
    Little House of Ingalls is very nice! @Gwiniel :) Very nice exterior design of the home, and the layout and design of the outdoors areas is very great! Very nice barn area! The inside stalls are nice and the pigs are cute! Sims will enjoy doing woodworking on the crafting table. The wagon is very nice, and the fields of produce are great! The beehives and apple trees look great! Very lovely design of the creek! Sims will enjoy fishing there or keeping warm near the campfire. The interior furnishings are lovely, warm and homely and suit the build type well! Very nice wood walls, flooring and furniture.
    Very lovely simversions of the family members :) The girls are very sweet!
    Tiny House on the Prairie is a lovely tiny living home for the challenge! @wendyology :) Very nice exterior to reflect the home very well. and the weathered texture gives a great look to the home! The animal shelter, gardening boxes, outdoors laundry area, well and outdoors dining area are very nice! Very nice rows of produce area! Very nice homely and rustic interior furnishings! The wood walls and flooring are great and the older style worn floor rugs add a nice home look to the rooms. Very nice fireplace sitting and chatting area.The loft kids bedroom is very nice! :)
  • coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,086 Member
    edited February 2020
    ENTRY FORM
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - (Number and House Name) - 3 - LittleHouse PrairieFarm
    FORUM ID: coolsim9999999
    ORIGIN ID: coolsim9999999
    NEW LOT LINK: (Link to where your build can be found on The Gallery)
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/B85B54CD4BE011EA89FD04251609DAB9?category=lots&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=coolsim9999999&max=50&maxis=false
    LINK TO SLIDESHOW:
    https://imgur.com/a/ziDhVz3
    ENTRY DETAILS: (Be sure to tell us about your entry.)
    I reread parts of the books and the show, which I've read/watched multiple times from childhood to adulthood.
    Most of the details are from On the Banks of Plumb Creek and the first episode after the pilot episode, called "A Harvest of Friends."

This is the Ingalls farm from Plum Creek (Little House on the Prairie). My lot combines many details from the books, (especially the 4th book,) as well as the TV series. I made a covered wagon and a plow in the field. There are over 1,000 potatoes in the field, full potato bin in the barn, and the creek is fishable and the family may also swim there. The china shepherdess is on the cabin’s fireplace mantle, and the outhouse near the barn. The prairie starts next to the house. A "cow" lives in the barn

CREDITS: none
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two please)
    6qjvY6e.png
    street view
    ZHPjdHY.png
    Pa playing his fiddle for the whole family outside their cabin
    Post edited by coolsim9999999 on
    4kkjdXo.png

Amazing work @coolsim9999999 <3<3<3
    LittleHouse PrairieFarm is a very lovely home for the challenge ! @coolsim9999999 :) You have reflected the home very well. The exterior looks great! The wooden walls and pegs are great and the flower box windows are pretty! Very nice gardening boxes area to enjoy growing plants. Very nice covered wagon! The design of the creek is very nice! The flowers are pretty on the edges! Sims will enjoy fishing and swimming there. Very nice homely furnishing of the interior! The wooden furniture and walls are very nice and warming! The fireplace design is lovely! Very nice barn and the stalls are great!
    It is a lovely home for the challenge! :)
  • emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

Hi @Taoron I built again the Ingalls house, I was not a fan of remaking the same stuff, but at the end it was great. I enjoy it a lot and also I discover that I know more building stuff that 4 years ago... also we have more packs now lol I wish we can have a western stuff pack (also I need a steampunk one). So here is my entry, thanks for this challenge <3

ENTRY FORM

LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - 3 The Wild West Farm
    FORUM ID: emere
    ORIGIN ID: osiazul
    NEW LOT LINK: The Wild West Farm
    LINK TO SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/a/9LlNP2L#YFzLoCH
    ENTRY DETAILS: as I told before, I built the Ingalls house 4 year ago so I built this one from zero, avoiding the original shape that I took from the house show. I found pictures from barns and little farms at the web, I took different shapes and worked with them to the sims scale. It is hard to reproduce a RL house, the sims scale is a little weird lol. I adjusted the farm to be dogs and cats friendly as we do not have any farm animals in game. I built a second bathroom at the first floor because I love functionality in the game. This time I avoided TV and computer ;) But there is free room to add them if needed. I kept the music, I play with music on all the time.
    CREDITS: none

YFzLoCH.png
    8BVmu12.png
    Crap! Yes I used a bad word 😬 I’d got the 16th as the deadline for this for some reason and just came to check it wasn’t actually the 18th, hoping for some extra time....and it’s the 12th! No way I’m going to hit the deadline, no idea where I got 16th from but sorry @taoron! It was a great challenge, I’m just a ditz. As I’ll have missed getting my entry in I’ll look through everyone’s else’s in the morning after a good sleep :/
    The Wild West Farm is a very lovely build! @emere :) Very nice exterior design of the home and the barn! The wood texture, planter box windows and greenery on exterior are very nice! Very beautiful lake and creek! The bridge is very nice! Very nice harvestable garden and orchard area! The wagon and horse is very nice! The clothesline is a homely touch. Sims will enjoy painting on the easel. They will enjoy cooking food on the firepit and eating it at the picnic table. Very nice barn! Sims will enjoy crafting on the woodwork table and carving pumpkins on the carving table. The roosters and baskets of eggs on the fruit crates look great! Very lovely homely furnishing of the interior of the home! The wood walls and wooden texture of the furniture is warming and nice! The teddy is cute in the kids loft bedroom!
    It is a very lovely farm home! :)
    Stunning @emere <3<3<3
  • TaoronTaoron Posts: 2,031 Member
    edited February 2020
    Okay! Sorry for the delay. I know the anticipation has been eating away at you. LOL I've been so busy and getting over being sick. But now, I am ready for the lookie loo of your current builds and to post the new challenge. I've been trying to be so good at not looking, for the past month, so I am very excited to see what everyone has done.

@AIRIS6962 : Stunning property. I love your design of the house, in keeping it small and rustic, as if built by one man, with maybe a few friends to help. Exactly what I was looking for. Simplicity at it's finest. Your use of the toy animals scattered across the property is too cool. I love that you did a covered wagon and how you did it. Your barn is also perfect.

Being a farming homestead, I would have liked to have seen a larger farming plot. Fields, as opposed to a garden, as they make their living from their crops and that would require acres of land, and missing the wonderful trout stream as well, but the addition of a pond is also a nice touch.

I love that you added the woodworking bench in the barn, as he did also make Shaker style furniture, or at least tired to, for extra income, and worked at a lumber Mill. The house laying is very nice and you displayed their minimalistic prosperity for the time, very well. Great looking loft and use of the space. Although I didn't mention it, the outhouse is a nice tough and a perfect addition to the home, as indoor plumbing at the time, was reserved for only the moderately rich and higher classes.

Thank you so much for entering this month's challenge!

@rikaocean : The link you gave me for the Slideshow appears to be wrong or a dead link, so I can't get a good view of what you did. =( But the property that I can see looks great. I'm not sure what the buildings are, which is which or what or what else you did. I do like the outhouse and that your garden plot is a little larger.

Thank you for entering this months' challenge.

@Gwiniel : I love the simplicity of your home. Great work on the Creek and the fields are wonderfully large and totally representative of what I was seeking. I like, very much, that you did not only a Barn, but the grain storage. Also that you did more of a buckboard wagon, as opposed to a covered wagon. Great call on that and exactly what I was looking for.

The interior of the home is lovely and your use of the loft is perfect.

The barn is very cool. *Note to everyone, there are farm animals, made from cats and dogs, that are wonderfully done (cows, sheep, goats, horses, that could have been used, without mods. With mods, you can sheer and milk them.

I love your rendition of the family!

Great job, overall and I am so happy you entered this month. Thank you!

@wendyology : Very pretty little plot of land. I love that you chose to create a crop that looks like grains. Awesome choice! The interior of you home has great feel of the age and prosperity, or lack thereof, of the family. Awww..no barn? Is that a chicken coop? It's great that you did an outhouse, as well.

Lovely build!

@coolsim9999999 : Wonderfully large field! Good looking fishing/swimming creek. It's nice that you made it available for those activities. I adore that your pictures show Pa playing the fiddle for the family.

Very nice that you decided to make a log cabin. The plow and the wagon are very inventive and in the spirit of the scene.

Very nice job! Thank you for entering this Challenge.

@emere : Beautiful looking home! It's so big! Big, but beautifully done. The creek looks great. I love that it looks natural and the trim is hidden well. The bridge over it is a wonderful addition. Great job with that. Your barn is also wonderfully done.

Awesome work on the buckboard wagon. I love that Jack is there, as well. Your use in the home of the wooden tub and other 'old' looking items is great.

Wonderful job on this! Thank you, so much, for entering this challenge and for a wonderfully done entry.

@AliSim19 : Oh No! I'm sorry you got the dates mixed up. I would have loved to have seen your build. I hope you are able to join the next one. =)

Thank you all for entering this Challenge. Everyone did such a lovely job and it was great to see so many different takes on this Novel. I can't wait to see what you all do with the next Challenge. ♥

Post edited by Taoron on
    edited February 2020
    The Homes in Literature Build Challenge #4: Odyssey - Homer

Written by Homer, assumed, in roughly 800B.C.E., but the stories, as a whole, passed along through verbal tales, roughly 800 years before that. This continuation of the Illiad, follows the exploits of our heroes after the battle and fall of Troy and centers on the story of Odysseus. This is the second oldest piece of written literature in Western civilization, after the Illiad.,

Lot Challenge: I want Greece. Greek Classical Architecture hasn’t changed all that much, since Homer’s time. The Doric style, is still used all over the world, today. This is going to be a two part series.

I want to take over all of Sulani, in a Greek Architectural Style. When we are done with both components, I will place the best Structures in their appropriate spots. And make the entire map available to all.

For this part of our series, I want Residential builds. Use Google and take a look at modern homes. You will see a lot of bone white homes (to reflect the hot sun of the Mediterranean) with some bright colors, just as they were in the days of Homer. We don’t see those lovely colors today, in the ancient architecture, but even 3000 years ago, the Greeks loved those bright colors, be it the bright Indigo Blue Domes of today, or the elegant friezes of the Parthenon.

Being that we will be filling the map, I need you all to choose a specific lot that you will want to build upon. Below. Are your choices. Please let me know which lot you would like to build a Residential structure upon and please look above, at previous requests, to make sure you do not choose the same lot.

Those lots are:

20x20

Tangled Flat @rikaocean

30x20

Cladera Camp - @cmbaker16
    Pier Perfection
    The Sand Bar - @AlJay
    Lagoon Look - @chips46

30x30

Kealoha Family Lot
    Ohan’ali Beach - @Rostri-Jodu

40x30

Key Point - @wendyology
    Sand Simoleon Beach - @Gwiniel
    Ngata Faily Lot - @Lehua
    Kahannaui Family Lot - @AliSim19
    Hoapili Family Lot - @emere

50x50

Admiral’s Wreckage
    Sapphire Shores

*If you do not have Island Living, you may build your home on an appropriate sized lot, but please Google the Sulani Map, as many of these lots are on the water, with much of the lot space being water. I will raise them, in the final map, to reflect this, but please do keep your decor for that, in mind, when choosing and building your lots. You won’t want half of your home or your children’s play area to be submerged.

Room Challenge: In most Ancient Greek Homes, the house was build around an open air courtyard. Please design and build a wonderfully beautiful courtyard for your Sims to enjoy. You may include any number of different features, such as a fountain, cistern. Pool, floral and/or herb gardens, an altar and sacrificial spot, to the Gods, or anything that your mind and research may conjure up.

Sims Challenge: Please create a Greek Family, for your home.

I look forward to seeing your creations!
    Please use the whole of hashtag #LiteraryBuildChallenge4 when you upload your creations. Any build, room or household without this hashtag will not be considered for Maxis Fave nomination.

The deadline for this challenge is Thursday, March 12th , 2020 ** [no later than 23:59:59 EDT/New York Time]

BUILD ENTRY FORM
    Greek Home – Odyssey - Homer

BUILD ENTRY FORM (please copy and paste into your entry post)
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - (Number and House Name)
    FORUM ID:
    ORIGIN ID:
    NEW LOT LINK: (Link to where your build can be found on The Gallery)
    LINK TO SLIDESHOW:
    ENTRY DETAILS: (Be sure to tell us about your entry. Please include Links to other resources you may have found)
    CREDITS: (Please Tag Art Creators whose art you used, if any)

ROOM ENTRY FORM
    Greek Inspired Courtyard -Odyssey - Homer

ROOM ENTRY FORM (please copy and paste into your entry post)
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - (Number and House Name)
    FORUM ID:
    ORIGIN ID:
    ROOM: (Link to where the room can be found with on The Gallery)
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (Please create a seperate Slideshow for the Room, from your Home Emtry)
    ENTRY DETAILS: (Be sure to tell us about your entry)
    CREDITS: (Please Tag Art Creators whose art you used, if any)
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two per entry, please)

SIMS ENTRY FORM
    Greek Family – Odyssey- Homer

SIM ENTRY FORM (please copy and paste into your entry post)
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - (Number and Family Name)
    FORUM ID:
    ORIGIN ID:
    HOUSEHOLD: (Link to where the household can be found with on The Gallery)
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (Please create a seperate slideshow of the family, from the Home or Room Slideshows)
    ENTRY DETAILS: (Be sure to tell us about your entry)
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two per entry, please)
    Post edited by Taoron on
    Great builds everyone 😊

Ooh, interesting idea @taoron Homers Oddessy is another one I spent a lot of time with, to be fair mainly because I studied Classics then Ancient Greek in high school - still enjoyed it though, despite having it forced on me for 4 years haha. Totally love the concept of us dragging the whole of Sulani back into another time!!

I’ll take the 40x30 Kahananui home lot please.

Do you want us to try and tie the home to a particular tale or can we just go generically Ancient Greek home?

(12th 12th 12th 12th 12th 12th 12th 12th...... I’ll get this one in I promise 😉)
    AliSim19 wrote: »
    Great builds everyone 😊

Ooh, interesting idea @taoron Homers Oddessy is another one I spent a lot of time with, to be fair mainly because I studied Classics then Ancient Greek in high school - still enjoyed it though, despite having it forced on me for 4 years haha. Totally love the concept of us dragging the whole of Sulani back into another time!!

I’ll take the 40x30 Kahananui home lot please.

Do you want us to try and tie the home to a particular tale or can we just go generically Ancient Greek home?

(12th 12th 12th 12th 12th 12th 12th 12th...... I’ll get this one in I promise 😉)

@AliSim19 Awesome! I chose it, because I'm reading it now. We seem to be following along with my reading habits. =) There will probably be a Zane Grey build, in the next few months. LOL I bounce around a lot to all different styles.

Totally generic is exactly what I seek.

I agree. Being the main coastal land mass, and with all of the lovely colors and scenery, I think Sulani will look wonderful (outside of the homes we cannot remove) Maybe I can find a map someone reconstructed with nothing but land. Either way, I'm excited to see what we come up with, and I'm thinking that I may actually contribute this time. I've been dying to do some Greek Architecture, if I have the time. I've picked up some extra part time jobs, as a dog walker/sitter/trainer and helping a buddy out in his business. Trying to save up enough to go get some Culinary Certificates as a Pastry Chef. Going back to college at 50. This could end up being a plot to a movie...
    edited February 2020
    Beautiful, entries everyone! Loving all of them <3
    Thank you very much for your detailed feeback @Taoron

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top