Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why is it rude to cook at somebodys house?

I just got kicked out of my friends house for cooking, although we're both hungry. I know if I was spending the night itd be fine, but throughout the series it is a kick-out offense. Why?
The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.

Comments

• Options
    Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 452 Member
    They've had that notification since launch. I'm assuming they don't want to go back and fix it. You'll get the same notification if you go to a family members house and cook, shower etc. I can see why it would be a problem at an acquaintance house, but not family or friends houses. I just ignore it or give them the always welcome trait.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    edited February 2020
    Do you have the reward trait "Always Welcome"? If not, cheat enough reward points if you must to buy it for your sim. This will help you out a lot with different interactions when visiting another sim.

Now to answer your question with an example. I think it's like if I visit my mom and help her out. Unless I ask her if she minds if I cook her dinner she'll get mad at me because these are her pots and pans (even if I bring food over to cook) and I am making a mess of her kitchen. In her mind, she is thinking I'm just going to leave a mess and force my dietary needs on her. Which is far from the truth more often than not it's because I saw this recipe I want to try out on somebody in my family because we are all very open-minded when it comes to different cuisine. I know if its something she really likes I can make it for the rest of my family when we have family get-togethers. However, if I ask her if I can cook a nice meal over her home and tell her I'll clean up afterwards she is more likely to say yes. I suppose that sims are similar in their reactions. They might think your sim is using food they got from the grocery for a specific meal or will leave their home a mess as a result of cooking them a meal.

Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Yeah, it's dumb. I don't know why. -.- They probably did cuz I think they know I always like my sim to go Geoffrey's house and use the grill to try to burn his house down. :D Or that other time where I keep on making a mess in the kitchen with all the uncooked food. Sigh... I miss those days. LOL!
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    IRL, I would consider its rude as well, even among family members. I love my privacy & don't appreciate if one is messing up with my place! :D But, I would say that, Always Welcome trait could help your Sims a lot. Perhaps we need another interaction where we could ask the house owner if we could cook or something similar.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    NADYSOPHIENADYSOPHIE Posts: 356 Member
    kaylin205 wrote: »
    They've had that notification since launch. I'm assuming they don't want to go back and fix it. You'll get the same notification if you go to a family members house and cook, shower etc. I can see why it would be a problem at an acquaintance house, but not family or friends houses. I just ignore it or give them the always welcome trait.

yeah I don't understand why family members are kick out of the house for cooking. My young adult went to university and I put in the campus and then I decided to go home to visit family and he got kicked out for cooking I was like ''wth? but you are his mom how can you kick him out?'' T-T I had to buy the reward always welcome to my sim to not have issues u.u
  • Options
    FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member
    My sims were kicked out of the brothers house for trying to feed his hungry toddler 🤦🏼‍♀️ I wish they would fix this issue. I love going with my sims to visit their extended family, but this problem makes it impossible
  • Options
    Kim5496Kim5496 Posts: 1,261 Member
    I think this has more to do with the relationship system being messed up than anything else. There is really no difference if you have an old friend or you just met someone and became friends. There is no difference between going to visit your family or a friend. (as far as the game is concerned) The whole system needs a huge overhaul. The game should recognize "hey this is your parents home, more things should slide" as opposed to going to a friends house where you wouldn't necessarily start randomly cooking or taking a shower. I agree though it's frustrating.
  • Options
    WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    Kim5496 wrote: »
    I think this has more to do with the relationship system being messed up than anything else. There is really no difference if you have an old friend or you just met someone and became friends. There is no difference between going to visit your family or a friend. (as far as the game is concerned) The whole system needs a huge overhaul. The game should recognize "hey this is your parents home, more things should slide" as opposed to going to a friends house where you wouldn't necessarily start randomly cooking or taking a shower. I agree though it's frustrating.

Totally agree, I know I'd react differently to say, someone I know and trust and love coming over my place and cooking on my stove (I'd welcome it, feed me plz), than somebody I've just met.

At any rate, it's super annoying but the Always Welcome reward trait does wonders and it is thankfully pretty cheap
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    That always welcome trait should be a requirement for anyone joining that upper crusts club since you are meeting at the Bjergsen's house. it is the only time i tried to cook at someone elses house and Sofia came down to scold my sim for cooking.

I don't understand why EA just leaves it in the game after all this time, i mean they make a big fuss about fixing game bugs and don't fix the ones that should be fixed like this one. the door glitch; specifically trying to exit a bathroom or enter an apartment that suddenly fails to recognise. switching off a radio and the sim is still apparently listening to music and getting fun from it even though you turned it off, the order is still there.. so many things to correct than just these.
  • Options
    Thunderbat87Thunderbat87 Posts: 275 Member
    The first trait I give ALL my sims are the «always welcome» one. Then I don’t really need to think about cooking, showering etc in other peoples houses. :)
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    Because you are taking something that someone already paid for and using it for something else.

...kinda like the 20th anniversary.
  • Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Lol well it’s not rocket science, you can’t go bum off other sims and their homes? A) yes cooking, showering and sleeping are inappropriate activities to do around somebody else’s home. B) it’s a difficulty measure, you can’t start a new game and go bum of the landgrabs. C) you can earn aspiration traits to over ride this (pretty sure it’s like dirt cheap too)...

It’s clearly not a glitch? Why are people always trying to pacify this game 🙈 Isn’t the sims 4 easy enough already?
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Its not somerhing to "fix" since its always been a part of the series, my question is why is it a feature anyways. I guess to stop your from living in someone else's house?
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Its not somerhing to "fix" since its always been a part of the series, my question is why is it a feature anyways. I guess to stop your from living in someone else's house?

I think you hit the nail on the head there.

I still think that if you have high enough relationship though, that it shouldn't be a problem. When my best friend comes over and cooks IRL, I'm all fist pumping because now I don't have to! :D
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    I would personally consider it extremely rude IRL if anyone came to my house to cook, shower or sleep - even more so if they'd try to feed my pet or toddler - without asking first. So my question would not be why this is in the game, but rather why you cannot ask for permission to do certain things while you are at another Sim's house. For close friends and family the answer should always be yes. But since the 'Always Welcome' trait, which has been mentioned a bunch of times in this thread, is so cheap it doesn't really bother me while playing the game.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited February 2020
    Ok but if your sim and the sim whose house they’re in have a high enough relationship it should be fine for them to cook, shower and sleep there, they’d have their permission.....
    ddd994 wrote: »
    Lol well it’s not rocket science, you can’t go bum off other sims and their homes? A) yes cooking, showering and sleeping are inappropriate activities to do around somebody else’s home. B) it’s a difficulty measure, you can’t start a new game and go bum of the landgrabs. C) you can earn aspiration traits to over ride this (pretty sure it’s like dirt cheap too)...

It’s clearly not a glitch? Why are people always trying to pacify this game 🙈 Isn’t the sims 4 easy enough already?

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Also, a uni student living at uni is no longer classed as living at home, so if they visit their own household and start cooking they need the reward trait or get deemed inappropriate.

Irl when my son comes home during uni breaks I certainly wouldn't think it was inappropriate for him to cook, shower or sleep lol.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited February 2020

as the other simmer posted,
    there is a cheap trait you can buy in reward gifts called.

ALWAYS WELCOME

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I've no idea why this exists, but it's always annoyed me. I used to use the "always welcome" reward trait, but now I have a mod that allows me to go over and do whatever, without having to worry about adding a trait to every Sim I play.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

It hasn't always been there. I had a Sim who was homeless in this game at the first. He went around to homes and cooked, showered and slept in TS4. I loved that. Because I am their god. I rule all houses. Lol But anyway it was patched to the best of my knowledge to be inapproriate when they needed to make Always Welcome more relevant than it was because at first it did nothing because Sims were always welcome anyway.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    First time my friend helped herself in my mother's kitchen I was aghast. This was in RL. I was raised you just don't do that, nor do you touch the items on your friend's dresser top. You don't peek into cabinets in their bathroom, either. Also, we never, ever, EVER just walked in. Took me a very long time to even just walk-in at my parents' house after I moved out. Even then I would knock as I was opening the door.

It's strange to think of the societal rules of good behavior that once were. This appears to be a hold-over, especially when the Sims are family. That one doesn't make sense to me, despite how I was raised. If our Sims were given the interaction to 'ask' first, but there isn't such an interaction, else they should be free to prepare food. It's very hard when the active Sim is the 'guest' and the host Sim is starving, for instance. The natural response is to have the active Sim fix some food. Just to be scolded and/or asked to leave the premises. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I can understand why they have it for friends houses. I wouldn't just go to a friends house IRL and start cooking with out asking first. But with family I don't get why they would kick you out. I wouldn't kick out my siblings if they came over just because they wanted to cook something.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    They need to tell us WHY this weird 'issue' still is not being fixed. I truly wonder. What gets in the way of fixing this, cause it was implanted in our game with the effort of doing so, so it seems like taking it out must effect something else.
    I mean seriously, hasn't there been enough threads already about this ridiculous event.
    I wish traits would have to do with this, then a general rule of 'rudeness' which isnt rude at all if your good friends or family.