Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Stuff Packs are the Biggest Rip Off Ever

2...Next

Comments

• Willow_Willow_ Posts: 12 New Member
    I like a lot of the stuff packs. Sure they aren't as "fun" as the other ones, but I still think they're ok for 10$
  • JinkxJinkx Posts: 62 Member
    > @Willow_ said:
    > I like a lot of the stuff packs. Sure they aren't as "fun" as the other ones, but I still think they're ok for 10$

I only think there needs to be more stuff for 10$
  • Willow_Willow_ Posts: 12 New Member
    > @Jinkx said:
    > > @Willow_ said:
    > > I like a lot of the stuff packs. Sure they aren't as "fun" as the other ones, but I still think they're ok for 10$
    >
    > I only think there needs to be more stuff for 10$

I agree with that, or maybe them lowering it down to like 7$ possibly.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited February 2020
    I think many Stuff Packs are a rip-off, not because of their price (which I feel is fairly reasonable), but because of the so-called "Hero Objects." Many of them are stuff that were previously available in base games or Expansion Packs, or would fit into another, previously-tackled theme. They made Stuff Packs more important/required, and not because they're good quality, but because they have one item that have been taken from other packs.

Base Game
    • Buffet table (Sims 2, 3)
    • Hot tubs (1, 2)

Expansion Pack
    • Hot tubs (1, 3)
    • Movies (2)
    • Popcorn machine (1 - though the popcorn machine in Sims 4 is different enough from this one)
    • Wishing well (2)
    • Wind chimes (1 - though the ones in Sims 4 actually make noise, so)
    • Water slide (3)
    • Butlers (1, 2, 3)
    • Bowling (2, 3)
    • Laundry (3)
    • Rodents (1, 2, 3)
    • Murphy beds (2, 3)

Sims Store
    • Ice cream maker
    • Popcorn machine (See note above)
    • Wishing well
    • Wind chimes
    • Water slide
    • Climbing Wall
    • Laundry

(Honestly, given how we have no Sims Store equivalent, I'm totally fine with Store-only content being put into Stuff Packs.)

Original Stuff
    • Fountain of Mirth
    • Pumpkin Carving Station
    • Candy Bowl
    • A new party
    • Voidcritter Cards & Battle Station
    • Puppet theater
    • Bird feeder
    • Earbuds
    • Toddler Playground
    • Toddler playdates
    • Disease
    • Freelance photography & equipment

I don't know if Sims 3 packs did the same - I know a few that didn't, but I didn't buy all the S3 Stuff Packs. But regardless, I think it's lame that we're essentially being charged an extra $10 to get stuff that should have been included in other packs, ones that we're more likely to pay for. And sure, you might get some other stuff - hairs, recolors, some items - but many Stuff Packs live and die by their Hero Object. Just look at Perfect Patio.

I know budget plays a big role in things, but I still think it's unfair. At least we have good Stuff Packs in the mix, like Moschino and Kids Room Stuff.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    In certain situations for me it can be an ripoff especially when the items are recolors which in past versions the customer could alter the colors but now we can't and it falls in the same catergory with paid neighorhoods which one could have created worlds and now you must them under the guise of an EP or GP. So certain features that was available in the past for free are now paid features and you still do not have full function feature when you pay. As far as taking thousands of hours one can only speculate as we just do not know unless you work in their studios and an recolor as far as I know should not take as much time as they just change the attribute for the item the groundwork is already done and should not cost any more than the orginal item.

Well you don't need to just take my word for it that it takes thousands of hours to create a stuff pack. You can think it through yourself or ask a simguru.

Even if it only takes 1 person to create a stuff pack and it only takes 6 months for them to do it, it would take that person more than 1,000 hours if they worked 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 6 months.

To see how many people worked on a stuff pack, you can check the game credits which are listed for each pack. Not all of them worked continuously from start to finish, but some of them worked at the same time on different aspects.
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    I don't know if Sims 3 packs did the same - I know a few that didn't, but I didn't buy all the S3 Stuff Packs.

There were no new gameplay objects in TS3's stuff packs, and they cost the same as a TS4 GP.
  • FallenPrinceFallenPrince Posts: 928 Member
    edited February 2020
    The thing with stuff packs are that they are very hit or miss. For example, I never liked Cool Kitchen Stuff, because it just did not have any real direction and the ice cream maker was just not worth it for me. Meanwhile packs like Vintage Glamour are really nice and gave me exactly what I wanted (and more).
    Are all of stuff packs worth the price? Absolutely not. Are some worth it? Sure!
    It really depends on what each simmer likes and what their playstyle is.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    I don't know if Sims 3 packs did the same - I know a few that didn't, but I didn't buy all the S3 Stuff Packs.

There were no new gameplay objects in TS3's stuff packs, and they cost the same as a TS4 GP.
    They did? 🤔 That's gross.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member

They also had almost 4x's the items in them. So they were double the price they are now, for sure, but you had anywhere between 50-80 new items throughout build, buy and CAS.

Sure they're cheaper now, about half the price, but we also have less than half the items included. :/
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Camkat wrote: »

They also had almost 4x's the items in them. So they were double the price they are now, for sure, but you had anywhere between 50-80 new items throughout build, buy and CAS.

Sure they're cheaper now, about half the price, but we also have less than half the items included. :/

That math doesn't add up. The TS4 stuff pack with the least new items is Fitness Stuff and that has 41 new CAS and BB items. The majority of them have around 60 items (up to 71 in Kids Room), some of which include new gameplay.
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I guess I like to think of it like this:

The stuff packs are like a mini pack. I get a very focused theme with a couple gameplay objects, some new clothes and BB mode objects and flooring and wall colours. Some of these packs are much more thought out and play well with the theme and others are not so much....

Some stuff packs are also like mini expansion/game packs in a way as they offer much more significant changes to the gameplay than other stuff packs do (like tiny living which adds the new lot type challenge and lot reward traits)

We get to see all the items and CAS in the pack before we buy it so it's not like it's a surprise.

$10 - ($14 roughly in Canada) is still a pretty good price to add new content and animations to the game I feel.

I play on console so I also don't have access to CC so for me it's also a way to spice up my game every now and then.

Are all Stuff Packs created equally no but at least in this generation they aren't just stuff.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Camkat wrote: »

That math doesn't add up. The TS4 stuff pack with the least new items is Fitness Stuff and that has 41 new CAS and BB items. The majority of them have around 60 items (up to 71 in Kids Room), some of which include new gameplay.

Fair point. Some packs have more, some have less and that is true for both games. TS3 packs didn't include new game play items, or hero items like TS4 calls them I think. Most seem to me to be on the smaller side. However, TS3 packs were double the price for about double the items, in most cases and it was in response to someone who was seemingly irked why a TS3 would cost so much more.

Really, they're about the same price. Personally I think they're both rip offs, but that's neither here nor there. Just simply why TS3 cost more, because there was more.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,372 Member
    I bought almost every item in the sims 3 store. Also I got each and every ep and sp. So from my perspective, $10.00 is a steal! Really, I haven't got a clue as to why anyone would grip about a stuff pack. So if you don't want one, don't buy it. Old fashion response, but it's true.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I don’t go into buying a stuff pack expecting massive new gameplay, that’s what game packs & expansion packs are for. For me I feel a stuff pack is worthwhile if I get a good amount of use out of the actual stuff, and gameplay is a bonus. I own all the stuff packs to date and there isn’t a single one that I haven’t used something from, and I have many that the items are staples in my worlds. So for me, at $10.00 USD they’re quite a bargain and I love them.
  • GenerationSimmerGenerationSimmer Posts: 210 Member
    The thing with stuff packs are that they are very hit or miss. For example, I never liked Cool Kitchen Stuff, because it just did not have any real direction and the ice cream maker was just not worth it for me. Meanwhile packs like Vintage Glamour are really nice and gave me exactly what I wanted (and more).
    Are all of stuff packs worth the price? Absolutely not. Are some worth it? Sure!
    It really depends on what each simmer likes and what their playstyle is.

Exactly.
    👋🏻 Hi, my name is Domi / 📍 Brindleton Bay 💛Legacy Player 🔔FOLLOW ON: TWITTER / TUMBLR
  • RamiSamiiRamiSamii Posts: 222 Member
    Especially with myself here, being a console player, I don't think they're a "big rip-off." I couldn't get CC even if I wanted it, and all of these packs give my Sims and myself more to choose from when it comes to decor and fashion, along with maybe an activity or two.
    37mfj.png
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I've noticed the real reason for the stuff packs is because they are an addition to the expansion packs.
    For example:
    City Living with Fitness & Myshino
    Cats & Dogs with My First Pet
    Get Famous with Movie Stuff, Luxury Party & Vintage
    Island Living with Backyard, Perfect Padio
    Discover University with Tiny Living

Also, there seems to be a connection with stuff packs & game packs.
    For example:
    Parenthood with Toddler, Kids Room
    Dine Out with Cool Kitchen

Furthermore a certain obvious connection of an expansion pack & game pack is:
    Get To Work with Strangerville

And finally a game pack connected with a game pack:
    Outdoor Retreat with Jungle Adventure
  • summertaffy68summertaffy68 Posts: 211 Member
    They're only a ripoff for those who don't like them. They will then not buy them. People who buy stuff packs don't generally think of them as a ripoff...
    1500x500.jpg