The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Keys for certain locked doors?

I tried looking this up, and only found things for “giving sims house keys.” So forgive me if there’s more than one post on this.

I’ve been wanting for some time now physical keys for certain doors. You can lock doors for certain people, but I want to have doors in houses where if you find the key, you find the secrets. Adding in like a whole “mystery mansion” kind of play. I was hoping that realm of magic would have had something like this. Anything to unlock doors, since you can’t use the temple mechanics from Jungle Adventure in your house. Something like, Red door, needs the Red Key.(blue, black, gold, white, skeleton) Separate doors for this interaction in the buy mode, and a physical item is placed in the house hold inventory for the sims to take and physically lock, and then they can either hold the key in their personal inventory (although I’m not sure how you could con it off their inventory if you’re not inside their Family household?) or have to place it on a surface or inside a chest.

I thought it would have been fun, idk if anyone would think so too? Also, I haven’t found any mods for this if anyone else has, let me know!

Comments

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,565 Member
    No, cuz not everyone plays this game for a treasure hunt. And if you're the one who built the mansion, you would know where the keys are anyway. Unless of course you download someone else's treasure hunting building or something.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • LexalooLexaloo Posts: 20 Member
    It’s not all about treasure hunting though. Hiding a sims torture dungeon, and having to save your best friend who was kidnapped for a story telling episode. Locking the realm of magic portal(obtained from the debug menu) from a sims kids to protect them from the magic realm. Locking a vampire sims coffin sleeping chamber. Having several locked rooms and chambers. Having a writer sim who achieves the trait to write manuscripts for different mastered skills, in his elderly years he begins to be paranoid and hides his manuscripts in locked rooms. Having several rich sims in your world and begin playing rags to riches with a kleptomaniac sim who has to steal from them to gain money. And it’s less about the “finding” as it is storytelling. I mean obviously you would know where the key was playing each house. Thats besides the point. And actually getting mystery mansions off the gallery to find hidden keys would be a fantastic idea.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Sounds fun! I like adventure/RPG style. But, I'm not sure how well EA can execute this gameplay, especially The Sims is a sandbox game. Although, they did a trial with the Strangerville or perhaps the active careers where we need to complete certain tasks. Probably if they're going to release a theme park/amusement park pack, they might want to add this feature to a mirror or mystery house. :)
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 354 Member
    Oh wow, your comment/idea had me immediately thinking of the 1987 game Maniac Mansion. I remember having to look for keys everywhere to unlock all the doors. It would be really cool of Maxis made a game pack that was a re-imagination of that game. Including the green and purple tentacles :)
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Hmmm, a couple of games pop to mind. Luigi's mansion and, maybe more germane, Sims 3 World Adventures if your computer can handle it. You can build a house with hidden keys and such, and there are three worlds that have tombs with puzzles going from too simple to in some cases, a little confusing. Unfortunately, there are a couple of broken tombs where you actually have to cheat to finish, but it's a lot of fun if you like that type of game play and if your machine can handle it (and unfortunately, if you use a few NRaas mods and do some slight changes to a couple of lots in China)